• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

A wild xelios appears!

Speaking to the buyer he mentions that they may run a onlyallowrunincountries flag and I wouldn't be able to launch it.

It's too late for that and has been since the game became available for purchase. Retroactive OARIC locks cause too much collateral damage, so if Techland did want to lock the game down in such a way it'd make new subs.

Skyzard

Banned
It's too late for that and has been since the game became available for purchase. Retroactive OARIC locks cause too much collateral damage, so if Techland did want to lock the game down in such a way it'd make new subs.

Very close to purchasing but how do you mean new subs? Thanks.

Nabs

omg jasec.

I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

You don't have to lie to us. It's cool, we can take it.

It's good to have you back Xelios.

JaseC

omg jasec.

It feels good to finally have Styx
and 64 other things
. ;)

Very close to purchasing but how do you mean new subs? Thanks.

I just mean that if Techland decided to lock the game down with an IP-level restriction it'd leave the current packages region-free and make new, region-locked replacements, though perhaps not without some arm-pulling (see: Black Flag).

Skyzard

Banned
I heard it applies retroactively though?

I have read about the regionlock "errors" happening quite often, sometimes taking months to remove...

Dyson May 12, 2012 at 15:50
This has been an issue for people living in Japan for around 2 years now. It’s worse in that case though, as it’s not specific copies that are restricted. I’ve had games gifted from the US, UK and other countries that have all been restricted from launching from Japanese IP addresses. Each time, Steam support has denied that those blocks were in place.
In the past, said blocks affected Fear 3, War in the North, Mafia 2, Duke Nukem Forever, and others that I’ve not had personal experience with. All of those, eventually had the blocks removed. It took less than a week for the block to be removed from Duke Forever, but over eight months for the block to be removed from Mafia 2, even after 2K had asked Valve to stop blocking retail copies (those remained blocked for the full eight months too). RIght now, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is blocked. In that case too, Steam support were telling people that no such blocks were in placed when they were specifically asked about such blocks BEFORE the game was gifted to people in Japan.

It's nice to see you here.

JaseC

I heard it applies retroactively though?

Yes, that's why I said Techland would make new subs -- so those who pre-ordered while it was region-free aren't affected. So confident I am in my belief that if you bought and activated the game now you'd be able to play it on release day that I'll personally refund you the cost if I'm wrong.

Welcome back :)

wilflare

nice to see you back man <3
really good to see you back

Skyzard

Banned
Yes, that's why I said Techland would make new subs -- so those who pre-ordered while it was region-free aren't affected. So confident I am in my belief that if you bought and activated the game now you'd be able to play it on release day that I'll personally refund you the cost if I'm wrong.

Haha thank you but there's no need, just trying to understand - I guess since that user posted it's become dealt with too often to bother "collateral damage".

Awesssome. Thanks again.

Volimar

Off topic, but I trust steamGAF's judgment. I need a new laptop cooling fan pad. I need one that is fairly inexpensive and will last for a while. This basic belkin one I have is crapping out. Any suggestions?

JaseC

Haha thank you but there's no need, just trying to understand - I guess since that user posted it's become dealt with too often to bother "collateral damage".

Awesssome. Thanks again.

Well, the offer's there if by some cruel twist of fate the worst should happen. ;)

Tellaerin

Welcome back, Xelios. : ) Glad to hear you're well.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should check out the Sorcerer's Stone on GBC, it is quite good. One of the original devs popped into this thread for some background.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=743011

Like most things in life, I have the GBC versions of the Sorcerer's Stone and the Chamber of Secrets in my backlog already :p

I really should get around to playing some of the GBC/A games I bought over the last year. I intended to play Dragon Quest II a while ago but still haven't got around to it yet. And now between playing Skyrim, Smash bros., Xcom: TFTD, etc., it looks like I won't get around to that for a while, especially since I'm going to try to play Pier Solar soon.

Shadownet

Banned
This is completely off topic but I just wanna say if you guys love american football and manga, you should try reading Eyeshield 21. It's one of the best sports manga ever, one of my favorite. There is also an anime.

Sorry, I'm just reading it again and all the wonderful nostalgia is pouring in.

Shadownet

Banned
Dunno anything about, but is this taken from a manga? I remember a manga with a similar name I saw in a comic book shop years ago.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question, but yes, Eyeshield 21 is a manga. :) Sorry I don't understand what you mean when you asked "But is this taken from a manga?"

JaseC

Anyone know where I can find NBA 2K15 the cheapest? Nuuvem, right? And it would activate in Europe, correct?

Yeah yeah
yeahs
. Nuuvem's price is actually very close to price of the game on Eastern European Steam stores: ~$34.50 versus ~$30.

I'm personally waiting for WWE 2K15 to show up on the Steam store. If I do buy it, it'll be the first wrestling game I bought since WWF No Mercy on the N64.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Morning Steam-GAF. I am up super early (actually not that early) to try and grab Glastonbury tickets. Hopefully next year it doesn't coincide with the Summer Sale again.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Xelios! Welcome back. I did notice you went missing for a while.

I'm not so active myself anymore, but I'm still around.

Anteater

Just finished Valiant Hearts, I liked it, there are a lot more gameplay than I originally thought, overall the game has some simplistic gameplay elements, like just moving forward, avoiding bombs while running/on vehicle, and some puzzle solving, I think some parts dragged a bit, but the puzzles are ok and enjoyable. Music is great though and the game is worth playing through.

Looking back I actually think Valiant Hearts was pretty poor. The puzzles are really simple for the most part and often nonsensical in place of the game's plot. Which is actually my main complaint with the game, it's just really absurd and slapdash in terms of tone. The game often tries to drive home the horrors of WW1 but then you're chasing a one note mustached dude in a blimp in a jeep while dodging dozens of armed trucks. Plus I thought it was too reserved in how it presented things like mustard gas which seemed to just make people fall asleep. Then there's the plot armor for all of the characters as they escape situation after situation that killed millions. It almost feels like a kind of fantastical "righting wrongs" scenario like Inglorious Bastards without any of the self-awareness.

The ending sequence is great and I wish the game had more moments like it. Uses the stylized tone well and manages to present an actual battle as something terrifying. The epilogue is touching but again it feels out of place with the rest of the game. Almost as if they thought, "Oh, we've been marketing this as a depiction of the hardships of war, better get back to that"

Anteater

Looking back I actually think Valiant Hearts was pretty poor. The puzzles are really simple for the most part and often nonsensical in place of the game's plot. Which is actually my main complaint with the game, it's just really absurd and slapdash in terms of tone. The game often tries to drive home the horrors of WW1 but then you're chasing a one note mustached dude in a blimp in a jeep while dodging dozens of armed trucks. Plus I thought it was too reserved in how it presented things like mustard gas which seemed to just make people fall asleep. Then there's the plot armor for all of the characters as they escape situation after situation that killed millions. It almost feels like a kind of fantastical "righting wrongs" scenario like Inglorious Bastards without any of the self-awareness.

The ending sequence is great and I wish the game had more moments like it. Uses the stylized tone well and manages to present an actual battle as something terrifying. The epilogue is touching but again it feels out of place with the rest of the game. Almost as if they thought, "Oh, we've been marketing this as a depiction of the hardships of war, better get back to that"

Yeah at times it feels like I'm playing a metal slug puzzle game but with a more realistic historical background. I actually thought it would be more of a visual novel with some light puzzle elements, didn't really expect a ton of action sequences and boss fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom