• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Hey JaseC guess what? Another AC game for your collection on Steam :D

OOCgnF0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-dgUPQVnv0

Copons

I swear, the day I'll buy a Rift I'm gonna use this avatar.

BUT, honestly, I really, REALLY, hope it will be for some cool and relaxing experience, like I dunno, Gone Home or something, and not because my friends want to kill me.

Also i'm pretty sure they're too cheapass to actually buy me something. :D

A free rift is a free rift, though.

Yeah, but who knows what could happen to a Rift in all the mahyem with the ambulance and the medics and whatever will happen after my heart attack. :D

All I did was calmly put forth the notion that Bayonetta 1 is an amazing game, Bayonetta 2 has a 100% chance to be an amazing game, and that PC gamers who like games regardless of platform should be getting consoles like Wii U for predictably strong first-party exclusives and godlike entries like Bayonetta 2.

I'm just being a caring friend to you all, that's all.

Just a caring friend.

I have no problem with this. Well, most of it. I do think Bayonetta has more flaws than people recognizes and it's easily in the top 10 for "story so bad/confusing/stupid that I just skipped the cutscenes after trying to understand it my first playthrough". That said, it's still a great game and I'm sure the sequel is going to be great.

However, I cannot personally justify the purchase of a WiiU for a single game. It's a shame that a lot of people are in my camp... and a shame that a lot of people who own WiiU systems are probably not the core audience for the game and won't be buying it.

BUT, honestly, I really, REALLY, hope it will be for some cool and relaxing experience, like I dunno, Gone Home or something, and not because my friends want to kill me.

An empty, abandoned mansion is not the right place to look for a "cool and relaxing" experience!

Dr Dogg

I was toying with the eye of getting one then I realised I haven't done any programming since secondary school so it would be just an expensive toy that get's no use what so ever.

Though Mirror's Edge is a tantalizing prospect and after playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Dear Esther and yes Alien Isolation can really see the potential there already. Though outside of that if VR eventually means I don't have to go to the office every weekday to sit through a bunch of tedious production meetings then I'm in.

Hey JaseC guess what? Another AC game for your collection on Steam :D

http://i.imgur.com/OOCgnF0.jpg[IMG]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-dgUPQVnv0[/url][/QUOTE]

Nice! Hopfully early 2015 is about the same time Liberation came out (mid January?).

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Desura key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sanctuary RPG -- MB-E3CE1C9DFFAA18C2 - Taken by Benedict

UncleO

Both of those lose their luster after the first 30 minutes or so, IMO. Well, less Amnesia, but it doesn't take that much longer.

Are there legit horror games? The Silent HIlls have the atmosphere and weird factor, the upcoming RE Remake release will be good in that "you gonna die today brah" sort. Alien Isolation if you're afraid of the late '70s. Lot of people are, unsurprisingly.

Off the top of my head you have Amnesia, Outlast, Silent Hill 2/3/4, Undying, Dead Space 1/2, RE4, Alan Wake, Alien: Isolation (Mr Orange's GOTY), Call of Cthulhu, and Condemned.

Not particularly scary, but phenomenal FPS games in their own right System Shock 2, FEAR, and STALKER.

Keep you eye out for the upcoming The Evil Within, Routine, and REmake re release, and the Early Access releases The Forest and Darkwood.
Are we talking about Original Xbox games right now? So many amazing titles stuck on that system that I would love to see on Steam.

Thanks Ill have to add some of these to my wish list.

I would say after a few patches the games are usually pretty well optimized. Never had any problems running FC3 and Black Flag on maximum settings with my 6870 and i5-3470k.

It's not so much as their optimization that bothers me, but the companys attitude towards the PC community in general. They've basically called all PC gamers thieves and their horrible DRM of AC2 is what really bothered me about them.

I honestly love that the thread change.

PC + Wii U is a match made in heaven. Please everyone buy a Wii U and get bayonetta 2. The future of video games depend on it.

I was gifted Final Exam this weekend and played a few hours of it with a friend. It's a co-op beat-em-up for up to 4 players. There are four characters to choose from and each has their own unique abilities that can be unlocked using skill points earned from completing levels. Additionally, there are numerous weapons that can be unlocked by finding them hidden in the levels. As for the gameplay, it mostly consists of your usual 2d beat-em-up fare, where you're doing lots of combo moves, shooting guns, throwing grenades, and fighting bosses. Occasionally it switches things up and has you doing other things, like fetch quests, platforming, and at one time the game turned into a Space Invaders clone where you had to shoot bugs coming down from the sky. Also, periodically you will be attacked by swarms of monsters, which can make things quite challenging if it happens to happen while you're in the middle of doing something else.

Initially I was a little turned off by the controls, which felt a little confusing and cumbersome (particularly when carrying and throwing things), but in the end it wasn't so bad once you get used to it. While the game can be played solo, it will probably take a long time to do, as the game feels geared toward co-op play. It's doable, just more challenging. My only gripe is that there isn't very much variation in the enemies. You fight the same monsters over and over again, and it seems like the only thing that really changes up is the level backdrops. I haven't finished the game (which I hear is short), so maybe there will be more variety toward the end.

I recommend this game if you're looking for a fun, somewhat mindless, brawler to play with friends. It's $2.50 (75% off) right now, so you won't break the bank if you get it now.

Deitus

Are "chief" orcs infinite in Mordor? I think I did one mission and then I killed a lot of those bastards, but they keep spawning :D

You mean captains? Yeah, no matter how many you kill, new ones will simply take their place. If you get killed by a generic enemy, he will be promoted to captain, but even if you don't, random captains will get appointed. You can thin out their numbers a bit, by wiping out a lot of them, but if you die or pass the time there will always be more captains. While it's not worth your effort to try to wipe out all of the captains, they all drop runes when they die, which can help a lot in combat.

Warchiefs are the highest level of orc, but if you've only done one mission, you probably haven't encountered them yet. Though even if you take out a Warchief, a high level captain will eventually take his place.

Thanks Ill have to add some of these to my wish list.

Check out Cry of Fear also. It made me more tense than Amnesia and Outlast put together, and it has actual survival horror mechanics, with combat and a limited inventory. It's a Half Life 1 mod so it's not exaclty a looker, but it's free (and it's on Steam too).

Knurek

Yes, but it's also turn-based correct? I honestly don't know too much about the game.
He Just said turn-based strategy which encompass a wide variety of genres.

In terms SteamGAF will understand (because, obviously, we all here play 3DS, not PC games), it's like recommending Shin Megami Tensei IV to someone, who asked for games like Fire Emblem: Awakening. :)

Might & Magic is a open-world dungeon crawler. Definitely not a strategy game.

I was gifted Final Exam this weekend and played a few hours of it with a friend. It's a co-op beat-em-up for up to 4 players. There are four characters to choose from and each has their own unique abilities that can be unlocked using skill points earned from completing levels. Additionally, there are numerous weapons that can be unlocked by finding them hidden in the levels. As for the gameplay, it mostly consists of your usual 2d beat-em-up fare, where you're doing lots of combo moves, shooting guns, throwing grenades, and fighting bosses. Occasionally it switches things up and has you doing other things, like fetch quests, platforming, and at one time the game turned into a Space Invaders clone where you had to shoot bugs coming down from the sky. Also, periodically you will be attacked by swarms of monsters, which can make things quite challenging if it happens to happen while you're in the middle of doing something else.

Initially I was a little turned off by the controls, which felt a little confusing and cumbersome (particularly when carrying and throwing things), but in the end it wasn't so bad once you get used to it. While the game can be played solo, it will probably take a long time to do, as the game feels geared toward co-op play. It's doable, just more challenging. My only gripe is that there isn't very much variation in the enemies. You fight the same monsters over and over again, and it seems like the only thing that really changes up is the level backdrops. I haven't finished the game (which I hear is short), so maybe there will be more variety toward the end.

I recommend this game if you're looking for a fun, somewhat mindless, brawler to play with friends. It's $2.50 (75% off) right now, so you won't break the bank if you get it now.

looks good , i will add it to my wishlist ;)

BasilZero

Took them long enough to announce rogue - will buy like the rest ;)

Also I am planning to get a WiiU bu debating on getting bayonetta this year or if I should wait.

Phawx

Every monday I'm hustlin'

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not thank me

BlackSoul: Extended Edition -- MB-E49F6F7026ED1BDA - Taken by UncleO

Nabs

I'm going to laugh when Mordor gets GOTY. It's got a good base for a sequel, but it's lacking in so many areas. The main missions suck. The world sucks. The combat is even easier than Ryse. The Nemesis System carries the game.

I honestly don't know where all the 9's and 10's came from. The game was fun to play for a bit, but now I just want to be done with it. *shrug*

Dr Dogg

Some useless stats for you, the Nintendo downloads thread since 00.00am GMT has had 89 posts covering various platform while the Steam thread has had Wii mentioned in 50 posts in the same time frame (excluding this one).

People still buy PC Ubisoft games?

It's my guilty pleasure. Plus they are the finest purveyors of the Collectothon Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom