• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
I need a good fps. What's good on steam that I may not have played?

- not metro series or fallout or cod or moh
- not alien, i'll get that eventually

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He is completely wrong. Also kind of a shitty person to paint everyone who disagrees with him in such a light.

I dont think it was about agreeing or disagreeing with him, I think it was about the "pc master race" (which is supposed to be a joke but turns out its actually quite real aparently, which is sad) going off on TEW (and Mordor before it, and countless others) with no real basis besides assumptions. People were already comparing TEW with Skyrim on PS3 for gods sake lol.

Unless I misread what he said, which is very possible

did you just call Alien (assuming its Isolation) a FPS? or Fallout for that matter o_O

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Bioshock Infinite and good should not be included in a sentence except in the case of it being a "good example of a bad game".

Tenrius

I'm half finished that

no cryostasis either

also no bulletstorm, i beat that and hated it

What about Return to Castle Wolfensein, the older game? Aside from a badly designed stealth mission, it's really good. Which is basically how I feel about Wolfenstein 2014, too.

There's also The Darkness 2, which is a real hidden gem.

Grief.exe

Stalker, Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior, Bulletstorm, CoJ:G, FEAR, Jedi Knight, Riddick, Hard Reset.

Maybe try Bioshock Infinite?

He did say good FPS. While I will admit that Infinite has great atmosphere in the beginning and a jaw-dropping ending, the actual gameplay is quite mediocre.

Miguel81

He did say good FPS. While I will admit that Infinite has great atmosphere in the beginning and a jaw-dropping ending, the actual gameplay is quite mediocre.

The GAF honeymoon period was pretty telling for that particular title. It's best to wait till after that before listening to recs.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

A friend of mine refers it as a "bookend" game. The good thing is that Burial at Sea makes slogging through it.

I paid no nevermind to gaf, reviews since I was on a media blackout on it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The GAF honeymoon period was pretty telling for that particular title. It's best to wait till after that before listening to recs.

I loved it. And Skyrim since Im going for broke

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just an update, have completed chapter 3 of The Evil Within. Game is great so far, chapter 1 is a bit slow but improves quick in chapter 2, then chapter 3. Load times on PC are great (2-4 seconds), no problems with 60 fps I hear.

Rhaknar

What's wrong with that? I loved Oblivion, and will be getting into Skyrim soon.

its another popular game that enjoyed a short honeymoon period before the internet turned on it, just like Infinite

TEW is pretty bad so far

your opinion seems to be the odd one out so far judging from the game's OT (not that theres anything wrong with that)

DocSeuss

TEW is pretty bad so far. Wish Shadowplay would work with it so I could show you its bugs.

I'm half finished that

no cryostasis either

also no bulletstorm, i beat that and hated it

You need to reconsider your life choices.

Stalker, Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior, Bulletstorm, CoJ:G, FEAR, Jedi Knight, Riddick, Hard Reset.

Serious Sam 3, let's not forget that. Infinite's a pretty terrible FPS, but Bioshock 2, as shooters go, was enjoyable.

What's wrong with that? I loved Oblivion, and will be getting into Skyrim soon.
There's a good eight (maybe ten) reasons why it's bad. Fortunately it can be summed up rather easily... Be warned though, this is a legimate spoiler:
There are non-optional giant spider battles, complete with webbing, webbed victims, and spider-eggsacks.

Now that I think of it, I shouldn't have recommended Dark Messiah for this same reason...

Rhaknar

There's a good eight (maybe ten) reasons why it's bad. Fortunately it can be summed up rather easily... Be warned though, this is a legimate spoiler:
There are non-optional giant spider battles, complete with webbing, webbed victims, and spider-eggsacks.

Now that I think of it, I shouldn't have recommended Dark Messiah for this same reason...

Zky is the arachnophobe. Also I dont remember those in Skyrim at all, I should replay that one of these days, especially since I didnt play any of the dlc

Who should I believe??

watch videos and decide for yourself?

DocSeuss

Who should I believe??

You should believe me, since the game's locked at 30.
Yeah, I heard something about unlocking frame rate earlier; performance is fine overall

In all seriousness, chapter 2 is this dull bit where you crawl around throwing glass bottles that do nothing with enemies you can't kill unless you can get behind them and they don't glitch around to suddenly notice.

Nothing's scary at all. It's just a sub-par stealth game with gross dudes to kill. And it's buggy. Had a dude see me and just start running at a wall. Didn't stop until I killed him.

With all of the talk about SC Blacklist I figured I'd go ahead and install it. I bought it while it was on sale from the Humble Store. Yeah...I finally have it working right as far as I know but man...Uplay is a pain in the ass with how they handle updates. Is there a way to make it download all the updates at once or does it need to do each one individually? I've done all the updates for Blacklist now but just trying to find out for future reference.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's a really unfortunate phobia to have.
ehh, it's more like videogames are an unfortunate choice for a passion

like if you get anal about cleaning and bugspray everything like i do you seldom have to deal with it

halloween's pretty brutal tho

as my thing says every spoilered thing can be modded out tho

:p

but yea no dark messiah for me :(

Bethesda can't write quests for shit.
or make gameplay for shit

the combat in the elder scrolls series is literally the same from the morrowind days.

Soi-Fong

Hmm.. Not sure what to get: Borderlands Pre Sequel or The Evil Within. Kinda leaning towards Evil Within since I already have Destiny on PS4 as my go-to shooter.

Tenrius

Bethesda can't write quests for shit.

Or guild questlines. Or compelling stories. Or produce 3D models of humanoids that would not actually look horrible (especially in the facial department). Or design dungeons. Even the battle system is sub par.

The strange thing, though, is that the world is so big and alluring that it all somehow works together, in spite of most individual parts being mediocre at best. Morrowind will probably forever remain the only truly great TES game though.

tmarg

Also I dont remember those in Skyrim at all, I should replay that one of these days, especially since I didnt play any of the dlc

They were quite frequent, one of the default enemies to encounter in cave type areas iirc.

I actually thought Skyrim was pretty good regardless.

Turfster

With all of the talk about SC Blacklist I figured I'd go ahead and install it. I bought it while it was on sale from the Humble Store. Yeah...I finally have it working right as far as I know but man...Uplay is a pain in the ass with how they handle updates. Is there a way to make it download all the updates at once or does it need to do each one individually? I've done all the updates for Blacklist now but just trying to find out for future reference.

Nope. It does them one at a time.

Zky is the arachnophobe. Also I dont remember those in Skyrim at all, I should replay that one of these days, especially since I didnt play any of the dlc

Give it enough time and we can all find a creepy video game spider.

Dark Messiah is close for me. Skyrim's might also be close if they didn't so strongly resemble the "kawaii" spider that pops up in threads sometimes.

Gvaz

Banned
finish it, is my suggestion

eventually

F.E.A.R. The best shotgun in existence.

beat it and fear 2, fear 3 fucking sucks

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

...What? It's first-person and you can shoot! It fulfills all the requirements...

amazing. i need to finish that

did you just call Alien (assuming its Isolation) a FPS? or Fallout for that matter o_O

fallout is more an rpg but yes. i meant what i said

What about Return to Castle Wolfensein, the older game? Aside from a badly designed stealth mission, it's really good. Which is basically how I feel about Wolfenstein 2014, too.

There's also The Darkness 2, which is a real hidden gem.

meh. darkness 2 i dont want to play till i finish 1, but i probably never will. i own the game tho

i need to finish stalker games, shadow warrior eh, bulletstorm fucking sucked, also rage, coj:g owns, JK owns but i need to finish it, riddick owns, hard reset is cool but i keep putting it off

Miguel81

Nothing beats the horror of the spider cave in Tomb Raider 2. Those things made noises of pure terror, and the rudimentary graphics add to the disgusting creepiness. Passed it by running, jumping, and shooting like an idiot.

tmarg

But did you enjoy "The Lusty Argonian Maid"?

Seriously, I enjoy running around their worlds. Nice vistas, kill some goblins, read a book by the fireplace. I don't expect much after the high of The Dark Brotherhood.

I actually think the Elder Scrolls series would do better to stop making the player character a Big Damn Hero in every game, and just had you be a normal wizard/warrior/thief/whatever running around searching for relics/stealing shit/killing monsters/assassinating dudes.

That's what people actually like about those games, and it wouldn't feel so weird that the characters don't acknowledge the fact that you just saved the world from the latest big bad evil, since you didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom