• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

so I guess all the drama around TEW, much like the drama around Mordor, was unfounded? shocking

Maybe we should wait for games to actually come out before pulling out the pitchforks next time

I spent good money on my pitchfork, and I'm damn well going to use it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
#blackbargate is still in full effect brah

you cant remove them? so the one thing they said you could do you cant? :p

I hear 60fps holds up nicely at least? so much for cboat to speak the gospel I guess

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any bugs with 60fps? I saw grief was downsampling from 4k, damn o_O

I cant even downsample from 4k, my screen wont let me. I can only do the one above that, whatever it is :(

Maniac

Banned
I trusted Mikami... it's been not easy to find the best deal (amazon.co.uk) and I'm pretty videogames-holic.
By the way, I'm pretty sure you'll have great fun with Alien and Mordor ^___^
Already had loads. I've spent 15+ hours just avoiding missions and having fun with the combat and Nemesis system. Then I realised I can unlock badass shit through main missions, so... Yeah. More fun after a few of those! Woo. And Alien is fucking beautiful and has so many impressive design decisions and execution, it's so far removed from TCA's recent work, but man, they did well.
New Killing Floor 2 video
Early 2015 Early Access release, block and parry for melee, incorrect pronunciation of melee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4F7ptvL54c#t=38
Twelve thousand nine hundred and forty eight US Percents.
Thems some good Murican mathematics
At least Bethesda finally said they're going to fix all the issues present in 60fps mode with TEW - if there are any.. so thats good news. Even though that should've already happened.
Yay! Guess I need not worry as much as I thought!
Nothing feel better than having a clean computer.
Better than sex. Not even kidding. Well, okay, just better than bad sex, but nevertheless - Better than atleast five types of sex!
I'll leave the other four to the imagination ;)
You're welcome!
Oh u <3
One point five American Gigabytes of VRAM....
Your 'Murcan mathematicianitics are impressive. And shit, Bethesda aren't very good at this publishing-thing, are they? lol. I was really worried about my 780 for nothing. Thanks for the info though, you're adoll.
Black bars confirmed for terrible design decision, 4 GB of VRAM was a lie bordering on the ludicrous, 60 FPS is confirmed awesome, Shadow Resolution is terrible.
Downsampled from ~4K
Bloody hell, that's... So weird. Can't help but wonder if it's a mix of Mikami's obvious japanese-yness (those guys and technical stuff can be... Eh.) and Bethesda's fear of actually telling the truth? :p
Black bars is something you can learn to live with, and maybe even love in other games.
No. Just... No. There's a reason Bethesda was quick to point out to PC gamers that they can be disabled - It's obvious that it's a ridiculous design decision, and quite simply a stupid experiment that hinders the experience.
No to the former, no to the latter.
I concur gosh-darn muchly. :p
Removing the bars is currently completely broken.
Programming is hard, mkay?
Especially when you have a complex engine without the engineers behind it, lol
PS: Sorry for the mega-post. Too much stuff to respond to, damnit! PS, if someone's interested in "MOAR GAF FRIENDS", this is me.

Dr Dogg

Well you can do this.
3B615855E2AEF374E0D765DE07A108A62C81FADD
So hopefully it goes the other way. If not I said to Grief in the Performave thread you might have to use a window utility and scale it to larger then your desktop (I did it with Max a Payne 3 to get 21:9 shots).

Just posting in this thread what I wrote in the TEW performance thread after 45+min of playtime:

I'm running The Evil Within at 1080p and 30fps with every graphical effect enabled and shadows set to high on a 2GB GTX 670. Tried every AA setting too. Not a single frame drop, not a single texture pop-in. I haven't tried unlocking the framerate or downsampling but this is basically the "best" the game lets you do with its default settings.

Now off to bed I go.

Well you can do this.

So hopefully it goes the other way. If not I said to Grief in the Performave thread you might have to use a window utility and scale it to larger then your desktop (I did it with Max a Payne 3 to get 21:9 shots).
Oh my goodness, I've never seen such a cinematic screenshot!
You're a true artist Dr Dogg!

Dr Dogg

Oh my goodness, I've never seen such a cinematic screenshot!
You're a true artist Dr Dogg!

Hahaha its not my picture. Fat chance was I taking a gamble on this, especially with the poor communication from Bethesda's end. I'm just theorying solutions to people's issues with some funky things people have taken screenshots on the Steam Community.

Anyway I'll test something out in the morning for you folks with barphobia.

Maniac

Banned
So, hearing that most of the stuff I care about with TEW is in order, including 60 FPS and their dedication to making sure it... Works, I just need impressions and reviews before I settle on a purchase! :'3
Hope it's good. Love the enemy designs in the game, it's a splendid mix of Silent Hill creepy oddities and Resident Evil disgusting scaredy-dudes. Although I hope they'll fix the black-bar business, because... Well, screw that shite.

And on that note, I'm off to bed. Have an excellent night, evening, morning and day, ladies & gents. Hope you all enjoy TEW regardless of your timezone, but for the ones pulling an all-nighter, I wish you luck and godspeed. I love
most
every one of you magnificent bastards.

Lomax

Gamasutra an interesting article with very detailed sales numbers about A Wizard's Lizard:
A Wizard's Lizard - By The Numbers

But here's the part that really piqued my interest, I'm sure many of you remember how the game had a price error at the beginning of the last summer sale (it was 68% percent off instead of 34% for a little while):

The Steam Summer Sale made us really nervous: would our new, small game disappear in the vast ocean of prolific games with deep discounts? The massive Steam sale began Thursday, June 19th, just three days after our launch.

Immediately we started off on the wrong foot – we set “34%” for our Steam Summer Sale discount, the same as our launch sale. Our thinking was we’d just continue with the launch sale through the SSS. But nope! The discounts stack, and so A Wizard’s Lizard was 68% off for a short period, causing some unhappy tweets from early supporters.

We brought the discount back down to 34% as intended within one hour, during which we moved 528 units. Previous to that spike, our hourly high was 428 units right at launch!

I highlighted the interesting points, first being that I'm surprised so few copies sold in that time, given that the discount was pretty substantial and the news of the price mistake spread here pretty quickly (I considered buying it myself but decided to wait).

Second, it confirms one of the ways that price errors happen, by discounts from different sources stacking. But notice these discounts stacked directly additively rather than multiplicatively like others errors often are. This is the same phenomena that leads to games having discounts over 100% off at times.

Third, it seems they had to correct it themselves, or at least felt like it took their own action to correct it, instead of Valve doing so automatically. Makes me wonder if that's always the case, which is why we see some price mistakes sit for quite a while (the Tomb Raider price errors that sat for 4+ hours come to mind).

Turfster

Oh. Awesome.
Bulletstorm just... autoquits before even really launching.
I'm too tired and too pissed off to play "what kind of fucked up shit did that turd GFWL break this time"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
DLGamer is a key reseller.

Are you sure about that? I ask because I allow them on Enhanced Steam and I don't want anyone to purchase from a grey market key reseller.

I've spoke with several company reps and (short of having confirmation from companies like Bethesda, Capcom, etc whom they sell keys for) everything seems to check out.

As a licensed software partner of game publishers, Our selection of bestselling titles features leading publishers including EA, Activision, NCsoft, Atari, Ubisoft, Bethesda Softworks, Warner, Sega, Deepsilver, Focus, Take2, Eidos and others.

This is from their About Page. They've also been in business for quite a while and seem to be much more "established" than most key resellers.

Miguel81

Own an actual 21:9 monitor and want to play The Evil Within? Well...

i bet 16:10 and 4:3 (if there are any left of them) owners are going to have fun with this game.

This is RE4 GC all over again for 21:9 owners. So sad as I love shots in that aspect ratio.

Maniac

Banned
Is there a difference? I guess I didn't even think about it. GMG is a key seller too right?

make-up sex, angry sex, pity sex, drunk sex.
Oh you. I couldn't possibly go to bed before I'd heard your guesses. You're correct! But come to think of it, there's probably a few more. :p
So, uh, if you have TEW, enjoy. If not... Enjoy that, too! I'm actually off for realsies this time though. Cheerio! x]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you sure about that? I ask because I allow them on Enhanced Steam and I don't want anyone to purchase from a grey market key reseller.

I've spoke with several company reps and (short of having confirmation from companies like Bethesda, Capcom, etc whom they sell keys for) everything seems to check out.

This is from their About Page. They've also been in business for quite a while and seem to be much more "established" than most key resellers.

That orders have to be manually processed is pretty telling. I tried to buy 007 Legends and Extreme Roads USA, but both orders were cancelled and refunded some hours later since stock had run dry and nobody updated the product page.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That orders have to be manually processed is pretty telling. I tried to buy 007 Legends and Extreme Roads USA, but both orders were cancelled and refunded some hours later since stock had run dry and nobody updated the product page.

Hmm good point. I guess I'll have to hit up the companies themselves to see if they're actually an authorized reseller as they claim to be.

Miguel81

Broke my no-horror rule and played some more SC Blacklist. American Consumption - Great level, give you leeway on what routes to take, has plenty of shadows to hide in, and the feel of Chaos Theory-era. Game is gettin' good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm good point. I guess I'll have to hit up the companies themselves to see if they're actually an authorized reseller as they claim to be.

Actually, it seems I'm wrong. I was going to edit into my post that DLGamer isn't on the big list of authorised sellers Rebellion provided after revoking around 7,000 resold SE3 keys, but I'm blind and missed it the first time through:

maneil99

Broke my no-horror rule and played some more SC Blacklist. American Consumption - Great level, give you leeway on what routes to take, has plenty of shadows to hide in, and the feel of Chaos Theory-era. Game is gettin' good.

The only horror thing in that game is Sam Fisher's voice and face

Shadownet

Banned
Blacklist is a great game. I love it.

jshackles

Actually, it seems I'm wrong. I was going to edit into my post that DLGamer isn't on the big list of authorised sellers Rebellion provided after revoking around 7,000 resold SE3 keys, but I'm blind and missed it the first time through:

Ah okay then. Thanks for looking into that for me! I suppose since a lot of other (larger) companies probably won't respond anyway, I'll just assume that they're a legitimate reseller for everything they have up for sale.

As always, if anyone has any trouble with any of the sites that Enhanced Steam promotes being legitimate please let me know.

Miguel81

Blacklist is a great game. I love it.

It really is. As someone who disliked Conviction this one is giving me everything that I wanted out of a SC stealth game. A mix of the new and the old provides a satisfying experience, and am pleased. Real shame that it didn't perform well sales-wise because this is worth a purchase. The Billionaire's Yacht DLC I also recommended if you do not get the Deluxe Edition.

:\

TEW is not a very good game so far. Alien for the OT pic seems to be the better call so far.

Some were calling it a nice blend of Remake atmosphere with RE4 gameplay in another thread. I'll have to check it out in about a week after I'm done with Alien.

SSPssp

What's the best place to get Civilization: Beyond Earth for cheap for Steam?

Assuming you're American:

The UK price on GMG (use a proxy or plug-in like Hola) is 36 bucks with the voucher P65PW6-F9B91D-TW2AG2 but you have to create a new gmg account.

Nuuvem also has it for a bit over $35 but it'll charge you in Brazilian Reals and you have to handle the conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom