• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching videos of The Evil Within this morning and it's got me kind of disappointed, the art is great but everything graphically just looks stale and messy, the combat seems okay but the FOV and black bars seem to make it more of a hassle than it should be, and I hope for a PC mod that allows the FOV and black bars to be changed or turned off, because I don't want to play it in it's current form.

Ozium

New Octodad patch is out:

It’s finally time… time for two brand spakin’ new levels of Octodad: Dadliest Catch; the Shorts! After the great response Octodad received from y’all, we wanted to give back a little in thanks for your support. Everyone who currently owns Octodad: Dadliest Catch as well as anyone who grabs a copy in the future will get these levels FREE through the new v1.2.x patch. The patch will download its way onto Steam on Octodad 14th.

In addition to the new levels, there will be an assortment of bug fixes and smaller features, such as multiple mouse support for co-op, persistent checkpoint on last played freeplay/shorts level, and a global story timer. A more detailed list of notes will be available when the patch is released.

rtcn63

Stop hating on poor W_D, it wasn't that bad.

Downloading again, thanks.

Ubisoft games tend to be serviceable, if you're a big graphics person and like what each series er... brings to table. I.e. the ship battles or collectathon-ing of AC games. (I personally dislike both) I thought WD wasn't bad at all from what little I played, but yeah definitely not the "best" or most "original" of anything. Maybe.

Dr Dogg

I... have a feeling that my laptop will be branded a pheasant if that's true.

But the mighty Pheasant flies in the face of adversity, bravely walking out in front of speeding cars down country lanes. Doesn't always end too well mind but you have to admire their gusto.

Best Original game? "Watch_Dogs" *click*

Har har.

Take away the early performance issues and as long as you're in the mindset it's more Splinter Cell than AssCrud then it's one of my favorite games of the year. I also like Marmite which is despised by some people so read into that what you will.

Yeah. The Golden Joysticks.

The real Golden Joysticks where the ones given away as prizes on GamesMaster.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So Greenman sent out the XCOM codes, but here's the interesting thing: 80% off the Enemy Within expansion through playfire rewards if you play for an hour or do the tutorial mission.

I think that might be the cheapest it's ever been, isthereanydeal history leads me to believe the previous low was ten dollars.

Wouldn't it be funny if a playfire coupon wasn't redeemable with playfire credit? I'm assuming that's the scenario here.

I remember voting, but with a different email than the one I used for GMG/Playfire, should I get the key too?

Ozium

Yeah. The Golden Joysticks.

609485983.gif

Jawmuncher

From what I played of EW I really like it.
The graphics I think are really good. Way better than I thought they would be. My only issue is the black bar but even that is pretty minimal.
Going to try 60fps and getting rid of the borders.

Turfster

Take away the early performance issues and as long as you're in the mindset it's more Splinter Cell than AssCrud then it's one of my favorite games of the year.

... what?
Did you play another game with the same name or something? The one I saw my friend play was a really shitty ubergeneric GTA clone with hilariously bad systems and boring "hacking" (read: even lamer "find the hidden object" than the shittiest hidden object game) minigames. There was nothing Splinter Cell about it, like, at all.

Jadax

Sounds like you'll be spending a few more years in England, I would recommend you to buy a desktop, just remember to get a small case, and you can always sell it if you can't bring it back with you. The thing about gaming laptop is, they get outdated very fast, especially when you only have 500 GBP to spare, you can hardly get anything worth while with that budget.

Guess I can try that, but I've never had or built a desktop, so where do I start? Should I looking for a cheap case/motherboard combo and then buy the graphics card/ram separately?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Is it just me or are coupons not working at the moment?

Tried to buy something I have a coupon for and it just won't apply. Also tested it with some other games/coupons, doesn't work...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I listed a non-waifu foil about a week ago for $9.98 ($8.69) and of course it struggled to sell, but I noticed just before that a particularly impatient user put up a $3 buy offer, so I managed to make $2.61. I'll call that a win given the regular cards recently plummeted to ~15c.

derExperte

... what?
Did you play another game with the same name or something? The one I saw my friend play was a really shitty ubergeneric GTA clone with hilariously bad systems and boring "hacking" (read: even lamer "find the hidden object" than the shittiest hidden object game) minigames. There was nothing Splinter Cell about it, like, at all.

Yes there was, you could off most enemies without shooting via enviromental hazards and sneak your way to objectives (not always), distract them, kill them silently. Or let hell break loose. Also the normal hacking wasn't a hidden objects minigame, you had to divert the flow of data (?). Either your buddy wasn't that far into the game, didn't know what he was doing or didn't care for the silent approach.

I forgot: how the game runs without 4 GB Vram?

Evil? See the performance thread, I think 2 GB are no problem.

Turfster

I listed a non-waifu foil about a week ago for $9.98 ($8.69) and of course it struggled to sell, but I noticed just before that a particularly impatient user put up a $3 buy offer, so I managed to make $2.61. I'll call that a win given the regular cards recently plummeted to ~15c.

Lucky you. =p
Nobody, nobody is building a samaritan paradox foil badge, so the prices have waterfalled down to regular card prices...

Arthea

you still lucky beyond belief, I can't sell any foils and not even close to your price too.

btw, is it true that all new games on steam are now region locked by default?

aku:jiki

Sounds good to me. I'll gladly take $2.50 for a foil. No one's paying these ridiculous €35 prices anyway.

I wanted to get some games out of the way before I go back to TEW and loaded up BioShock Infinite, Burial at Sea Part 2, in particular and I can barely bring myself to finish it. After I'm done with this, I will have had enough of BioInf for any reality there might exist.

Well, I gave myself a push and finished it. Turns out I was pretty close to the end. Can't say I really enjoyed the gameplay in either DLC Episode but the ending to Ep 2 was a pretty cool way to wrap up the saga.

#beatanddelete

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
... what?
I don't know what you watched, but Dr. Dogg's impressions and gameplay experience very much align with my own. In fact other than the convoy missions, I probably did significantly more stealth kills/takedowns than I did actual shootouts.

I've only played the first two chapters in TEW but I have to say, I'm loving it. If those are really the worst of the chapters, game's gonna be a fun ride.

Dr Dogg

... what?

Almost every story mission you could do the silent approach. The CTOS hubs you had to activate in each zone you could do without setting foot inside the area. It's by no means a fully fledged stealth title but it's a far cry (heh) from Assassin's Creed in how you approach things. Fail states are close to non existent compared to AC where if you're not inside a certain distance to eavesdrop or get spotted and so on. You could go in all guns blazing, and judging from my time in the OT that's what a lot did but there's enough wiggle room to make a couple of different approaches.

Guess I can try that, but I've never had or built a desktop, so where do I start? Should I looking for a cheap case/motherboard combo and then buy the graphics card/ram separately?
This thread is all you need, buying all the parts yourself is the cheapest way. Get a M-ATX motherboard, and pick a case M-ATX case in the OP if you don't know what to get.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
coponalypse is finally upon us.

just tested, works fine

uh, I restartet Steam and now the coupon I tried to use is gone... it seems he expired more or less exactly at the moment I tried to use it :p

I haven't even noticed I had that coupon until a few minutes ago

Started my first ever play through of Dark Souls yesterday. All I gotta say is fuck the Capra Demon. Gonna try and get the drake sword today, maybe even try for Havel's armor and to boost my estus flasks before I go at him for like the 15th time.
Don't bother with the Drake Sword, it's a noob trap. Plenty of early weapons available to you that can be stronger than it once upgraded to some extent, without the hassle of having to find rare as fuck ores.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So last night I installed all of the games I'll be playing during this year's Extra Life marathon, which is happening one week from Saturday (Oct 25th)!

AG95ldI.png

Don't forget that I'm doing a huge raffle for people that donate - you get one entry for every $5 you pledge and it goes to a really good cause. There are a lot of great games up for grabs, courtesy of IsThereAnyDeal.com

Check out the details here.

Turfster

I don't know what you watched, but Dr. Dogg's impressions and gameplay experience very much align with my own. In fact other than the convoy missions, I probably did significantly more stealth kills/takedowns than I did actual shootouts.

Shitty cover shootouts in generic warehouses, bad driving chase missions, "find the cameras to 'hack'", things like that.

My birthday is coming up and we are almost at the end of the year. I need to generate a wish list for anyone who asks for one. What are the must play games released this year?

For big games (ei, expensive AAA games) I'm assuming the small list is Wolfenstein: New Order, South Park, Shadow of Mordor, and Alien. Is there anything I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom