• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

My issue isn't with the letterboxing per say (I play a lot of games at a 2.35:1 ratio on a 16:9 monitor anyway) but the fudged way it's been implemented. True 21:9 monitors and 3 screen set ups don't handle this very well at all and seeing as the past id Tech 5 games did (Rage needed a bit of tinkering) I don't think this is a quick fix. That and because it was a consideration from the offset where UI information resides in both the upper and lower portions of the screen it's never going to be perfect. I'd keep an eye on WSGF for solutions.

Knurek

Oh god, Jeremy Parish is at it again...

In any case, the narrative that hyper-sexualized cartoon teenagers somehow represent the sum total of Japan's unique video game output, or even a significant fraction of it, is neither accurate nor productive. Softcore visual novels and titillating anime action games are as much a niche in their home territory as they are overseas. To judge by shops and billboards in Akihabara, those games rule the country, but outside of that highly focused retail district, titles like Senran Kagura and Katawa Shoujo fade into the background beside the likes of Monster Hunter.

Seriously? Factchecking much?

derExperte

Sigils of Elohim is free and a "mini-game prelude to Croteam’s upcoming first-person puzzler The Talos Principle". Only 62MB.

header.jpg

I always stretch to fit my movies too, there's no reason why movie makers don't make their films 16:9 in this digital day and age

I'll file this under 'bad jokes' and please don't tell me if it wasn't one.

Arthea

Sigils of Elohim is free and "a free mini-game prelude to Croteam’s upcoming first-person puzzler The Talos Principle". Only 62MB.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/321480/header.jpg?t=1413231933[/IMG

I'll file this under 'bad jokes' and please don't tell me if it wasn't one.[/QUOTE]

already downloaded. It's a smart move, they think if we'll play it, we get hooked and will pick Talos day one. Well, I'll outsmart them, not gonna play it right now, but before buying a game (><)

Maniac

Banned
Gametrailers gave it 9.0, also not in the OP. its funny to see how its 2014 and people are still so hung up on reviews tho
Just... Read Rock Paper Shotgun. Scores are incredibly detrimental to the entire review process and concept.
developed by obsidian
TES developed by Obsidian, please? They're the only ones that could possibly bring back the glory-days of Morrowind. Although they'd need Arkane's help to make it heff Dark Messiah-esque combat.
Please? :(
but you hate everything and everyone lately. again, my job.
What, you even have me!? I THOUGHT WE HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL T_T
performance reasons
Doesn't the game (TEW) still render what's behind them? I seem to recall being told as much by someone in the know.

He's great for 8-bit/16-bit era.
Not so much for anything more recent.

I dunno. In his review of Last of Us remastered he recommended using the 30fps lock so that it would be more in line with movie frame rates. I refuse to believe a word he says regardless of era.

The Evil Within PC shots from TheTurboFD in the OT:

And a few from myself (720p as been streaming in windowed mode to read chat):

Hoping someone will help me but can you or anyone else playing the game tell me if the kb/m controls are any use? I'm hoping they are at least as good as RE:Revelaitons but I fear they may be as bad as RE4. Just a general, they are good would be fine :D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hoping someone will help me but can you or anyone else playing the game tell me if the kb/m controls are any use? I'm hoping they are at least as good as RE:Revelaitons but I fear they may be as bad as RE4. Just a general, they are good would be fine :D

I've been playing with mouse and keyboard. They work perfectly well for me. I did alter some stuff around though to make them more comfortable for me. A nice touch is if you switch around buttons, your custom keys will appear as instructions in the game very flawlessly, which is nice.

They're good, everything is customizable and you can have multiple inputs for an action(ie, inventory on v/tab)

I've been playing with mouse and keyboard. They work perfectly well for me. I did alter some stuff around though to make them more comfortable for me. A nice touch is if you switch around buttons, your custom keys will appear as instructions in the game very flawlessly, which is nice.

Very good to know. Thank you. Can't wait to play the game when I get home from work :D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Very good to know. Thank you. Can't wait to play the game when I get home from work :D

Of course, hope you have fun!

I also forgot to post this in my last post, so will just post here. This result made me chuckle when it happened in-game as I was trying to get a headshot.

3D672F65AAD666CFA027ABE4B626886473D49DAF

Braag

Ended up purchasing Ryse: Son of Rome.. Probably hate the supernatural part that's been said is included in the game. But the rest of it looks pretty sick.

Wait what? It has supernatural parts in it?

Oh right, I forgot how Crytek loves to add bunch of monsters or aliens little over halfway through their games.

And a few from myself (720p as been streaming in windowed mode to read chat, and mine are Steam compressed):
You can save Steam screenshots as .PNG pictures, if you weren't aware of that. Doesn't get uploaded on the community / activity page of course, but the option for no compression is there at least.

Grief.exe

What's the deal with all the negative reviews on the The Evil Within steampage? Is that a new meme?

It's not a very good port overall. I think the issues that are there, FOV, black bars, controls, optimization issues, will be fixed, but first impressions are really terrible for this one.

Not only are the first two chapters, reportedly, the worst sections in the game, but you start the game at 30 FPS, with terrible mouse lag in the menus, a ridiculously low FOV, nonexistent graphics menus, and headache-inducing black bars, your mileage may vary on the latter.

Divius

It's not a very good port overall. I think the issues that are there, FOV, black bars, controls, optimization issues, will be fixed, but first impressions are really terrible for this one.

Not only are the first two chapters, reportedly, the worst sections in the game, but you start the game at 30 FPS, with terrible mouse lag in the menus, a ridiculously low FOV, and black bars giving you a headache.
Hm, fair enough. I hope they will provide some major patches along the way then. I do plan on picking this up eventually, given how much I love RE4.

and black bars giving you a headache.

Yep, that's the thing.. That game gives me a goddamn headache as soon as I start it.

Everything is a complete mess from the point where you start the game until you're done. And I mean everything. The first thing you'll notice is the extreme sluggish mouse movement in the menus. When you're finally playing, you're seeing texture pop-ins everywhere. Stuttering. Awful 30fps. And the fucking black bars. And when you move there's a huge amount of mouse acceleration and some delay.

In other games, I can normally accept one or a few of these things. But EVERYTHING?

I don't know how they imagined anyone could possibly enjoy this.

xBladeM6x

Yep, that's the thing.. That game gives me goddamn headache as soon as I start it.

Everything is a complete mess from the point where you start the game until you're done. And I mean everything. The first thing you'll notice is the extreme sluggish mouse movement in the menus. When you're finally playing, you're seeing texture pop-ins everywhere. Stuttering. Awful 30fps. And the fucking black bars. And when you move there's huge amount of mouse acceleration.

In other games, I can easily accept one or a few of these things. But EVERYTHING?

I don't know how they imagined anyone could possibly enjoy this.

They probably had controller in mind. Not to say that's a good excuse. Stuttering is likely coming from it using more VRAM than available on your system, and everything else is parity across all platforms the game is on.

They probably had controller in mind. Not to say that's a good excuse. Stuttering is likely coming from it using more VRAM than available on your system, and everything else is parity across all platforms the game is on.

Hmm, yeah, I doubt it. I'm using two 970s with 4GB. It doesn't even matter what settings I'm using.

I get the same performance with a 670 2GB, on another system.

Grief.exe

One point five American Gigabytes of VRAM....

People are actually running maxed out with less VRAM than that as well. To be honest, literally just about every aspect of this game is extremely mismanaged.

What's the metric conversion of that?

Saying that this backward country of mine still uses the imperial system of measurements along with metric as well.

Multiply by one for the conversion factor.

Dr Dogg

Here's something to ponder. If ZeniMax didn't buy Tango Gameworks do you think we'd have seen a PC version of The Evil Within at all? I doubt it somewhat unless they ended up with a publisher who was PC focused like Deep Silver but I get the feeling PC was never a focus from the off.

What's the deal with all the negative reviews on the The Evil Within steampage? Is that a new meme?

The funny thing is this, while the reviews are trending as 'Mostly Positive' the most helpful ones all come up as negative for me but they are by and large highlighting technical problems and most have played little to nothing of the game. Sure it's information to folks who weren't aware of those issues but if you want a handle on the game itself you need to do a little digging. Or just ignore those who aren't on your friends list, that works for me most of the time.

One point five American Gigabytes of VRAM....

What's the metric conversion of that?

Saying that this backward country of mine still uses the imperial system of measurements along with metric as well.

It's a great port, steady 30 FPS at 4K, completely customizable controls(on screen prompts change), unique M/K layout, dev console and so on.

Who knows what nonsense they've done to idtech5 to get proper lighting working. I can get 30 FPS at 4K, but 45-60 at 1080P. But still, it's not poorly optimized given how high a resolution I can go up to. And I haven't noticed any stuttering and I'm usually pretty sensitive to it. The exception is going over 3200x1800 has brought some weird flickering issues, others are playing at 4K with no issues though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom