• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

baterism

I'm liking FFXIII better than Shadow of Mordor and what I have seen so far of Evil Within.

I don't really dig FF13 game play, but seeing a rather new FF in my library make me a little bit fuzzy inside. It's like meeting an old friend from elementary school in the college.
But he's changed, a lot.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-10-14_17-23-16.jpg

baterism

Actually I'm living in Asia, but I'm not really sure if the PC games being stocked here actually published for Asia or they just simply import it from US or Europe. This, combined with quite noticeable price difference between physical and digital makes consider to go digital instead. Its a bummer cause I want a physical copy for civ games :(

Civ BE physical goes for around $39 or 399,000 IDR for pre-order on play-asia.

After stupid price hike on SEA, I'm really tempted to get that. But remembering that retailer is the main reason of the price hike, I become rather hesitant.

Except from pretty box, any benefits of retail copy, gaf?

Li Kao

Hmm, so... I have something to confess, I never really cared for whatchamacallit 'diagnostic tools'. Now that I have a shiny new 970 I was wondering what the consensus is on MSI Afterburner ?
I mean a lot of people seem to use it, but all I really would be interested in is my GPU temp and FPS, and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this software have problem cohabiting with some games ? And will it eat some fps ?

Turfster

Have you tried to log in on the games for windows live site? I think I had to do something like that and agree to some tos to be able to play.

Did that ages ago for the last bullshit GFWL thing.
Bulletstorm doesn't even start. It just shows the loader image and suicides.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
To anyone playing Alien Isolation and thinking the shadows and reflections aren"t top notch:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/alien...eiled-improve-planar-reflections-lod-shadows/

Blurry shadows:

Sharp shadows:

No reflections:

Godd reflections:
The good reflections picture is wrong. That surface shouldn't be that reflective. There are other areas in the game with surfaces that are that reflective because it's material appropriate. All the person did was fuck with some reflection threshold.

Braag

Did that ages ago for the last bullshit GFWL thing.
Bulletstorm doesn't even start. It just shows the loader image and suicides.

I remember having a similar issue with couple of other GFWL titles.
GFWL is slowly dying though and I doubt MS gives a shit about these issues.
We must just hope for the devs to remove GFWL from their titles and wish that MS never makes another PC "service" like this ever again.

rtcn63

Decided to watch TEW reviews and shit. I've read in a few posts that the first two chapters are terrible, but from what I can tell, it's mostly
sneaking past/stealth killing enemies?
Didn't look bad at all. May not be the survival-est of horror, but I've seen worse.

Shengar

Civ BE physical goes for around $39 or 399,000 IDR for pre-order on play-asia.

After stupid price hike on SEA, I'm really tempted to get that. But remembering that retailer is the main reason of the price hike, I become rather hesitant.

Except from pretty box, any benefits of retail copy, gaf?

Too much of a hassle and our currency rate which kinda fucked up at the moment wouldnn't make the price different from local retailer that already open a preorder. Wait, maybe I should just directly ask to them whether its from asia or not

No need for download gigs of game?
Also, novelty.

baterism

Too much of a hassle and our currency rate which kinda fucked up at the moment wouldnn't make the price different from local retailer that already open a preorder. Wait, maybe I should just directly ask to them whether its from asia or not

No need for download gigs of game?
Also, novelty.

It's Asia. Europe is $50 and US is $60.

Hmm, so... I have something to confess, I never really cared for whatchamacallit 'diagnostic tools'. Now that I have a shiny new 970 I was wondering what the consensus is on MSI Afterburner ?
I mean a lot of people seem to use it, but all I really would be interested in is my GPU temp and FPS, and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this software have problem cohabiting with some games ? And will it eat some fps ?

I run MSI afterburner with my MSI 7850 Twin Frozr. It seems to work just fine. I read about how good my card was for overclocking, so I ramped up the afterburner settings bit by bit until I maxed it out (without having to edit some files to unlock it further at least). Have been running with it overclocked through that software for months with no issues.

Dr Dogg

That link made me wait to continue. Here's the SteamGuide version :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324612199

To be honest, I couldn't see a ton of improvements on my side. Everything is super-duper maxed now and I'm holding at 60fps. Could use some AA though....

Eh they do make a difference to be fair, tiny admittedly. I was faffing about with some settings a few days ago and the performance cost is next to nothing. I'll have a dig through my screens when I get home but I think shadow maps over 4k aren't adjusted and shadows cast from dynamic lights above 2k aren't adjusted so the LOD bias is off and you get shadow striping (or shadow acne as some folks call it). Planar Reflections are only scaled higher in a few areas (I've only seen a couple so far) but increasing the LOD fade in does help with wider aspect ratios. Really the settings you can tweak in the games front end are more than great but these little ini tweaks are just the cherry on top.

Shadownet

Banned
The Evil Within is ugly and the FoV is shit. That's all folks.

Edit: It's fun though.
No, the Evil Within is not ugly, its probably one of the best looking horror games I've ever seen.

From what I played of EW I really like it.
The graphics I think are really good. Way better than I thought they would be. My only issue is the black bar but even that is pretty minimal.
Going to try 60fps and getting rid of the borders.

I recommend going 60fps but don't get rid of the black bars. It just kinda make the FOV issue look worst IMO.

Also while this game have some technical issues. Its a great horror games. Don't listen to some of these negative reviews. Especially people who probably never play it and just going with the hate crowds. I did a speed run of Mordor cause I loved it so much. And so far Im loving every minute in The Evil Within. Well, loving it as much as I can while being absolutely terrified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom