• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Guys, how hard is TR:GoL?

If I were to play it with my girlfriend, who would like to play some co-op (after Monaco and Battleblock Theatre) but isn't really skilled, would it be too frustrating for her?

Also, does it support controller AND kb/m at the same time?

It can get pretty hard and fiddly.
Never played coop, sorry.

Does anyone else see what's happening with SpeedRunners events?

NSPi1sS.png

dmix90

I'm shocked people like Dead Space. When I played it on PC it was a horrible mess of a game. To start, it was a technical mess with a couple game-ending glitches and its mouse implentation is the worst I've ever seen in a game (Seriously; I had to use my mouse's enhanced sensitivity settings while also maxing out the in-game sensitivity for it to behave even SEMI-NORMALLY.) All of the atmosphere established in the game is immediately undone by subpar visuals and corpse physics that put even Dark Souls to shame.

If you're crazy and want to score games, an argument could be made to score DS a 6/10 (if you've conveniently forgotten about the zero-G segments and the turret sequence) but otherwise I would lump it in the illustrious 5/10 bargain bin. Standardised to a proper score, it would be a 3/5 in all cases.

The verdict
: If you want to play a bleak and depressing game play Recettear instead. There are no truer horrors than those in a high-fantasy, capitalistic society.
Have you disabled ingame vsync? If not it locks your framerate to 30 and i guess its barely playable with mouse after that. Solution is to disable ingame option and force vsync in your graphics card control panel. If you nvidia user you can force ambient occlusion and game is even more pretty after that. Beat game on PC and not experienced any problems like you mentioned. Awesome game.

Spyware

Guys, how hard is TR:GoL?

If I were to play it with my girlfriend, who would like to play some co-op (after Monaco and Battleblock Theatre) but isn't really skilled, would it be too frustrating for her?
Hard to say since I don't know her but it's pretty easy except for some trial and error-y parts. I think you can skip those parts if the other player manages to get through. You simply respawn a bit later when the obstacle is cleared. I think. But I played it at release so I might be wrong.
Lovely little game btw, amazing in co-op.

Copons

A little easier than Max Payne 1, you should be fine. Maybe download a walkthough and let your girlfriend handle the difficult parts.

Yeah, I was expecting an edit like this.

:'(

Hard to say since I don't know her but it's pretty easy except for some trial and error-y parts. I think you can skip those parts if the other player manages to get through. You simply respawn a bit later when the obstacle is cleared. I think. But I played it at release so I might be wrong.
Lovely little game btw, amazing in co-op.

Yup, I realize my question was extremely vague.
What I meant is if is beatable in co-op relying on one player only during the hardest sections, so your answer is perfectly spot on! Thanks!

derExperte

Yeah, I was expecting an edit like this.

:'(

Truth is that some later puzzles need good cooperation and coordination while juggling all the weapons and tools. They're also quite clever. The shooting parts shouldn't be a problem on the other hand.

AsylumX

I'm shocked people like Dead Space. When I played it on PC it was a horrible mess of a game. To start, it was a technical mess with a couple game-ending glitches and its mouse implentation is the worst I've ever seen in a game (Seriously; I had to use my mouse's enhanced sensitivity settings while also maxing out the in-game sensitivity for it to behave even SEMI-NORMALLY.) All of the atmosphere established in the game is immediately undone by subpar visuals and corpse physics that put even Dark Souls to shame.

If you're crazy and want to score games, an argument could be made to score DS a 6/10 (if you've conveniently forgotten about the zero-G segments and the turret sequence) but otherwise I would lump it in the illustrious 5/10 bargain bin. Standardised to a proper score, it would be a 3/5 in all cases.

The verdict
: If you want to play a bleak and depressing game play Recettear instead. There are no truer horrors than those in a high-fantasy, capitalistic society.

You know that this was a design choice, right? You are not suppose to be able to shoot like a FPS. And also, it's kind of hard to judge a game that came out 6 years ago by today standards.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Disable v-sync. The port was pretty great other than people not understanding how to fix that. It has aged really nicely and looks phenomenal in 4K 2.35 while locked at a perfect 60 fps.

The gameplay itself is wonderful too.

Have you disabled ingame vsync? If not it locks your framerate to 30 and i guess its barely playable with mouse after that. Solution is to disable ingame option and force vsync in your graphics card control panel. If you nvidia user you can force ambient occlusion and game is even more pretty after that. Beat game on PC and not experienced any problems like you mentioned. Awesome game.
Interesting. I'm not sure what was causing it, and the game has long been uninstalled now, but I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever play it again.
You know that this was a design choice, right? You are not suppose to be able to shoot like a FPS. And also, it's kind of hard to judge a game that came out 6 years ago by today standards.
I suppose that could be why I'm judging it so harshly. Well, how's this: if I ever get a chance to play it six years ago, I'll try to be more fair to the game and the era it released in.

As to the controls, it had to be a bug. Before I got around the problem, I had to move the mouse a couple feet to adjust my aim from the bottom to the top of the screen. There is no way it was intentional.

Copons

Truth is that some later puzzles need good cooperation and coordination while juggling all the weapons and tools. They're also quite clever. The shooting parts shouldn't be a problem on the other hand.

Thanks, I guess if the lady is fine
playing with an overly sexualized portrayal of women
we should be good to go!

Shadownet

Banned
Btw for those who are wondering about the playfire rewards regarding Enemy Unknown. If you play it for an hour they will email you a code for 80% off Enemy Within.

I just got my 80% off despite not even having EU installed, though I'm pretty sure I played at least 3 hours of it.

Teeth

No it was not.

A programmer on the Dead Space series (codecow) has been on GAF repeatedly bemoaning the terrible mouse implementation in the first game's PC port.

Dead Space 2 has the mouse control that DS1 was supposed to have. And it's great.

Freezard

Dead Space had pretty terrible mouse controls. Had no issues with my 360 controller though and it's a third person game so yeah, I prefer the gamepad anyway.

Deitus

No it was not.

A programmer on the Dead Space series (codecow) has been on GAF repeatedly bemoaning the terrible mouse implementation in the first game's PC port.

Dead Space 2 has the mouse control that DS1 was supposed to have. And it's great.

Ah, that makes sense. I thought I was in crazy town, because I had no issues with the mouse controls of Dead Space. Then I remembered that I played DS1 on Xbox, and only played DS2 on PC.

Freezard

Looks like the Tomb Raider DLC is pretty shitty. Is the single player map any good? Looks like the only DLC worth picking up along with the core game.

No it was not.

That's good to know. It's a bit of a cold comfort, but at least the sequel is better.

Teeth

Dead Space had pretty terrible mouse controls. Had no issues with my 360 controller though and it's a third person game so yeah, I prefer the gamepad anyway.

Ah, that makes sense. I thought I was in crazy town, because I had no issues with the mouse controls of Dead Space. Then I remembered that I played DS1 on Xbox, and only played DS2 on PC.

The controller implementation was slightly jacked too. I just played through DS1 on PC last month after playing the PS3 version at launch and the controller response is very different. If you play the PC version at 60fps without the in-game vsync (but vsync forced in drivers or an external program), the sensitivity is totally messed up: It's proper while aiming but incredibly sensitive (with additional controller lag ie- it'll keep moving even after you stop pressing a direction) while walking around. If you slow it down for when you're walking around, it's molasses when aiming.

The controller response must be tied to the frame rate and/or done as a differential response rather than absolute, so the higher framerate kills proper response, which is goddamn horrible.

DS2 controls perfectly though.

DS3 has negative mouse acceleration, which nearly fucks that game too.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
1 FREEDOM!!!

That's 1.5 Freedoms. We here in the States take our VRAM to Freedom conversion rate very seriously.

Almost every story mission you could do the silent approach. The CTOS hubs you had to activate in each zone you could do without setting foot inside the area. It's by no means a fully fledged stealth title but it's a far cry (heh) from Assassin's Creed in how you approach things. Fail states are close to non existent compared to AC where if you're not inside a certain distance to eavesdrop or get spotted and so on. You could go in all guns blazing, and judging from my time in the OT that's what a lot did but there's enough wiggle room to make a couple of different approaches.

I feel like this is the second time this week you've made this joke :p

Link to the Tomb Raider sale.

I guess that's what I get for buying the latest TR from gamersgate the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom