• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Yuk. For those wanting to actually just read the guide and not have to jump through Ad shaped hoops - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324612199

Thank you.

I don't know why people keep linking to something other than steamguides.

'Improved' is a bit of a stretch to be honest. Reflections are not really meant to be like that in the game and certain areas with the same lighting conditions don't scale where as others, despite being the same flooring get cranked up to 11.
Planar Reflections said:
Value=3
15350261688_32cc4bdef7_b.jpg

Value=4
15533721681_9b8185c4c0_b.jpg

Value=3
15349188619_3f3b9511c2_b.jpg

Value=4
15533131141_5bbd11fde8_b.jpg
As Stallion stated they're meant to be material appropriate but here are two corresponding surfaces under similar lighting conditions but one has no scaling with the offset pushed higher but another goes through the roof. It's terribly inconsistent.

Both guides for shadows are way, way over stated.
Shadow Maps said:
The setting for 4k Shadow maps does raise their value (as you can see by the VRAM usage climbing 60mb) but 8k doesn't scale much further at all. Also I don't have any pics sadly but when you get to an area with dynamic lighting, especially with a moving light (like the Torrence going past the window) the depth bias on a shadow map resolution above 2k doesn't look like it's accounted for resulting in shadow striping which looks way, way worse than what the stock settings offer. Reminds me of people faffing with the shadow resolution sizes in UE3 but not accounting for depth bias and completely ruining dynamic shadows (see the 'corrections' for Enslaved on the Steam forums).

So yeah 'Improved' settings huh. I'll let you guys be the judge

Turfster

Humble mozilla bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Super Hexagon
  • Aaaaa! for the Awesome
  • Osmos
  • Zen Bound 2
  • Dustforce DX
TIER 2: BTA
  • Voxatron (not Steam)
  • FTL Advanced Edition
TIER 3: 8$
  • Democracy 3

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
A little easier than Max Payne 1, you should be fine. Maybe download a walkthough and let your girlfriend handle the difficult parts.
You may laugh, but I did have to use a guide several times in MP1. How the hell was I supposed to know I had to shoot at the little wooden things that were blocking the truck's wheels in 2-2? How was I meant to solve the labyrinth in Max's nightmare on my own? (turn left all the time).

Copons

You may laugh, but I did have to use a guide several times in MP1. How the hell was I supposed to know I had to shoot at the little wooden things that were blocking the truck's wheels in 2-2? How was I meant to solve the labyrinth in Max's nightmare on my own? (turn left all the time).

WAIT WHAT there's a trick for the labyrinth section?

I spent like three hours doing that shit, and when I had to do it again later (but harder, with jumps and drops and shit) I seriously considered to watch the ending on YouTube or something.
Really a crappy game, thank god both sequels are GOAT material.

also can't fight against MP1 atm, I have to leave soon

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Fuck, I just saw it, all games region locked by default now? :-(

yes ... acrtag flag is being applied by default now ... so if the dev/publisher doesn't specifically disable it (or rather "enable") - the game is region-locked

kiyomi

Anyone played King's Bounty Armored Princess?

The idea of being an armored princess continues to be unabatedly appealing to me.

Dr Dogg

You know I never care for watching someone else play a game but watching Rhaknar play some 'Random ass game' is just comedy gold.

I feel like this is the second time this week you've made this joke :p

Well I was talking about Crytek the first time and Ubisoft the second so it fell into place nicely both times. Might have over done it though.

derExperte

Voxatron is still in development? I bought an early access bundle with it years ago only to never hear of that game again until now.

Are you Copons' dad? I mean I know that many complained about the nightmare sequences but they never gave me any trouble, even when replaying the game recently, and I don't think I remembered that you had to run left all the time. Is that even the case? There must've been hints at least.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
'Improved' is a bit of a stretch to be honest. Reflections are not really meant to be like that in the game and certain areas with the same lighting conditions don't scale where as others, despite being the same flooring get cranked up to 11.

As Stallion stated they're meant to be material appropriate but here are two corresponding surfaces under similar lighting conditions but one has no scaling with the offset pushed higher but another goes through the roof. It's terribly inconsistent.

Both guides for shadows are way, way over stated.

The setting for 4k Shadow maps does raise their value (as you can see by the VRAM usage climbing 60mb) but 8k doesn't scale much further at all. Also I don't have any pics sadly but when you get to an area with dynamic lighting, especially with a moving light (like the Torrence going past the window) the depth bias on a shadow map resolution above 2k doesn't look like it's accounted for resulting in shadow striping which looks way, way worse than what the stock settings offer. Reminds me of people faffing with the shadow resolution sizes in UE3 but not accounting for depth bias and completely ruining dynamic shadows (see the 'corrections' for Enslaved on the Steam forums).

So yeah 'Improved' settings huh. I'll let you guys be the judge
Thanks for doing the whole run down. Can't wait to go upvote these massive improvement tweaks on reddit!!

Oh God, no! First we get teased to death by that canned Rogue Squadron game and now the Russian bear is facing extinction. This is truly the darkest timeline :(

BigBoss

Was the DLC for Tomb Raider Underworld ever released on the PC? I remember Microsoft announcing it as an exclusive at some E3 many years ago...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
people werent kidding, that first chapter of The Evil Within is awful and its a terrible first impression. Chapter 2 already feels much better tho. Will stream more in a bit after real life stops getting in the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom