• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadGear

All Steam games are ARCTAG from now on by default. So no more cheap Russian games unless the developers turn off the ARCTAG.

So expect all the future releases like MGSV and Batman to be locked.

Edit: I meant "on"

So its save to say that these shady "re-sellers" like gamekey3+1.you and others are pretty much screwed now?

Anteater

ok yeah I'm liking bulletstorm so far, I remember playing it on ps3 but didn't like it there.

It's a pretty looking game and is very fluid.

Shadownet

Banned
So its save to say that these shady "re-sellers" like gamekey3+1.you and others are pretty much screwed now?
I'm shady? :3

Well I'm not screwed since I'm only a middleman. I dont have an inventory full of games or anything. So this affect me like normal.

Though idk how liez must be feeling right now :(

Way to increase piracy Steam

bunk-the-wire.gif

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All Steam games are ARCTAG from now on by default. So no more cheap Russian games unless the developers turn off the ARCTAG.

MGSV and Batman already have store subs, so unless Konami/WB add the flag voluntarily they'll be region-free. This is why Mordor was region-free during the pre-purchase period but became region-locked following launch (old sub -> new sub).

Edit: Actually, Batman doesn't. Looks like the app predates the point where Valve made it so publishing a new app automatically generated three subs (store + retail/dev/beta testing).

So if the region locking is not retroactive, does that mean games that aren't out yet, but have store pages, are still good?

I ask because a friend of mine is interested in scoring the best possible price on Civilzation Beyond Earth...

MadGear

I'm shady? :3

Well I'm not screwed since I'm only a middleman. I dont have an inventory full of games or anything. So this affect me like normal.

Though idk how liez must be feeling right now :(

No no! I tried to be creative about a website whose name is apparently banned to type out :D Didn't mean you (unless you are affiliated to them). Sorry about that :>

Its just that i once ordered from that particular site before i knew they were just selling steam gifts from russian traders and had to wait days before i finally got my gift. I wasn't really pleased with that to say the least.

JaseC

So if the region locking is not retroactive, does that mean games that aren't out yet, but have store pages, are still good?

For the most part, yes, but there's nothing preventing publishers from region-locking them now (take Dead Rising 2, for instance).

I ask because a friend of mine is interested in scoring the best possible price on Civilzation Beyond Earth...

CivBE is region-locked. All of 2K's new/upcoming releases are.

Ozium

Duck Dynasty is out!

Lets all buy it to spite JaseC!!!

:p

$39.99... lol

Does anyone else see what's happening with SpeedRunners events?

NSPi1sS.png

This is what happens after you let Pewdiepie into your product.

region locking defaulted to on

thank obama for finally gaben to be putting sanctions on putin for his crimes against the ukraine and all those people who took games for cheap from russian mafia to fund the invasion of peaceful neighbors /s

awwww wtf man. leave it to valve to kill all the fun of cheap games.

AlexBasch

Just got a mail saying that Mexican pesos will be used from now on and my remaining credit will be turned from USD to MX pesos.

This can't be good, right? Will we get screwed like the Aussies? :(

thank obama for finally gaben to be putting sanctions on putin for his crimes against the ukraine and all those people who took games for cheap from russian mafia to fund the invasion of peaceful neighbors /s
Every cloud has a silver lining :tear:

When the deals actually dry up is when I'll start to worry. And I expect my reply will be to buy way less new games.
Just got a mail saying that Mexican pesos will be used from now on and my remaining credit will be turned from USD to MX pesos.

Sell sell sell!! Honestly I have no clue, the Xbox Live currency conversion worked out quite well for me.

Shadownet

Banned
MGSV and Batman already have store subs, so unless Konami/WB add the flag voluntarily they'll be region-free. This is why Mordor was region-free during the pre-purchase period but became region-locked following launch (old sub -> new sub).

Edit: Actually, Batman doesn't. Looks like the app predates the point where Valve made it so publishing a new app automatically generated three subs (store + retail/dev/beta testing).

So MGSV might not be region locked but Batman is already?

Well if that the case the moment MGSV price become available, and its still free. We should all jump on that right away.

No no! I tried to be creative about a website whose name is apparently banned to type out :D Didn't mean you (unless you are affiliated to them). Sorry about that :>

I was just helping out some people in getting cheap games, but I guess those days are over. I guess Dunder and Liez can only help people get old games and maybe if we're lucky new games.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Well if that the case the moment MGSV price become available, and its still free. We should all jump on that right away.

don't get your hopes up ... MGR was region-locked right from the get-go ... in fact - it was the very first game to use the acrtag flag

Batman's unlikely to be region-free as it doesn't already have a store sub.

aren't all other konami games region locked tho? I'd assume their biggest title yet would most definitely without a doubt be region locked. although if its not I'm going to buy that version first since it would only be a matter of time before it does get region locked

Lomax

We had stats?

Apparently those were the numbers on Morder before it got locked. Of course it's impossible to know how many of those sales would have happened otherwise, but it does indicate that the trading is becoming much more widespread. And as soon as it became the norm i think we all knew it would get cracked down on.

JaseC

aren't all other konami games region locked tho? I'd assume their biggest title yet would most definitely without a doubt be region locked. although if its not I'm going to buy that version first since it would only be a matter of time before it does get region locked

Rising and the standard edition of Lords of Shadow 2 are the only Konami games that are region-locked. The point I was making, though, is that there's a chance MGSV will be region-free since its store sub is relatively old whereas Arkham Knight almost assuredly won't be as it presently lacks a store sub and WB didn't remove ACRTAG from Mordor's post-release sub.

Apparently those were the numbers on Morder before it got locked.

"Apparently" as in "that's what a Monolith/WB rep said" or "apparently" as in "allegedly"?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It really depends on what publishers have set the prices for their games in your region, and what Valve's "default" conversion will be.

Did your email have a date? Is it going live today?

EDIT: Looks like it's Oct 21st just like the Turkish Lira.

7Sins

Neo Member
Were there any more news regarding Dark Souls DRM removal? I know there were some rumors, I think, some time ago about From removing that awful GFWL.

What happened?

JaseC

Were there any more news regarding Dark Souls DRM removal? I know there were some rumors, I think, some time ago about From removing that awful GFWL.

What happened?

The rumour was a fake Facebook post. Scamco hasn't said a word.

you scared the dick off me

i'm liking the dialogues in this game
Bulletstorm has such a bizarre tone, sometimes it feels like a Duke Nukem type of game that just doesn't care at all and other times it's super serious and dramatic and it's just...odd how it tries to swap between Dicktits and being all apologetic about how the main character basically screwed up everything for everyone because of his alcoholism.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
"Apparently" as in "that's what a Monolith/WB rep said" or "apparently" as in "allegedly"?

next thing you know Ubisoft is going to come out and say that 90% of PC gamers pirate their games ... oh, wait ... they already did that a few years back

yeah, those reps are always sooooo trustworthy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom