• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

you scared the dick off me

i'm liking the dialogues in this game

"What? What does that even mean? You're gonna kill my dick? I'll kill your dick! How 'bout that, huh?"

Even more unintentionally hilarious by how juvenile it sounds and exactly who Grayson says that to. Bulletstorm gets some shit for it's dialogue but chirst I'm not expecting James Joyce levels of wordplay.

I really doubt that cross region trading has such an impact. Maybe some publishers saw some people buying games cheaper via trading and thought that they were losing money (and then asked Valve to do something about it) but the majority of people using Steam probably don't even know that you can get games cheaper with tf2 keys or maybe don't even care.
Sucks for us, because we were used to it (and it was a good way of getting around crazy prices for people who live in countries like mine)
I guess I won't be buying many games day one.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
She is underage and has a short skirt. Of course she is.

image.php

This is just going to make me wait longer to pick games up.

oh well.

Yeah, it sort of sucks. I liked saving money on games, but now I'll probably just wait for even bigger sales, and sales on games that had pages from before this happened, since those probably won't be region locked (unless I'm misunderstanding that part).

next thing you know Ubisoft is going to come out and say that 90% of PC gamers pirate their games ... oh, wait ... they already did that a few years back

yeah, those reps are always sooooo trustworthy ;)

So...

Piracy and region free buying/gifting are not remotely related, and no one is making that connection

Back on topic.

Publishers don't have the time/energy to get into the minutia of by territory sales data during the run up to a big launch unless something pops up that tells them they have to

When one of the primary topics of discussion during the launch week of a game is which Russian trader has the best price, and where in the BST thread a game can be found, you don't think people at devs and pubs notice?

And then when they do notice the discussion, you don't think they might have their numbers people check those geographic stats?

If it was only a few people doing it, then no big deal. Everyone's happy. But when this stuff gets to scale, and significant share shifting starts to happen...

The other option would be to raise the price in those regions to match Western Europe or North America pricing, which is even more unappealing than removing cross region trading.

An-Det

For the Golden Joystick promo, I've received the key for Enemy Unknown but am not sure how to get what I assume is a coupon for the 80% off for Enemy Within. The page says to play EU, does it count that I've already got some time logged? Is it looking for a specific achievement to unlock/be already unlocked to do the EW promo? I haven't played the game yet, just had SAM idle it for cards so there's some time logged but no achievements.

Played one hour and half of Alien, this is the Alien game I want.
Even if until now the game is scripted as hell (and I didn't see the Alien yet), I like it.
It's another planet if you compare it to Colonial Marines.
I stopped playing it out of frustration. I got to medical but the whole alien being around regardless of how stealthy you are got a bit frustrating.
For the Golden Joystick promo, I've received the key for Enemy Unknown but am not sure how to get what I assume is a coupon for the 80% off for Enemy Within. The page says to play EU, does it count that I've already got some time logged? Is it looking for a specific achievement to unlock/be already unlocked to do the EW promo? I haven't played the game yet, just had SAM idle it for cards so there's some time logged but no achievements.

Can't find it now but I believe it's either finish the tutorial or play an hour of the game.

I still don't quite get what the ACRTAG flag affects: new games yes, old games if activated so maybe, old keys no? Pretty much me asking again for the 4th time in these last two months if it's too late to get in on that Witcher 3 action

kudoboi

i just can't stop buying CSGO gun skins :/

I still don't quite get what the ACRTAG flag affects: new games yes, old games if activated so maybe, old keys no? Pretty much me asking again for the 4th time in these last two months if it's too late to get in on that Witcher 3 action
yeah. New games are guaranteed to have ACRTAG unless the developer manually choose to make the game region free

With this arctag news that kind GAFfer/s who gifted a bunch of copies of Batman won't be able to gift any cross region winners, nice work Mr steam grinch.

Jawmuncher

Played one hour and half of Alien, this is the Alien game I want.
Even if until now the game is scripted as hell (and I didn't see the Alien yet), I like it.
It's another planet if you compare it to Colonial Marines.

I still say Colonial Marines was pretty good as a budget shooter.
If you only payed 5 for it.

KainXVIII

All Steam games are ARCTAG from now on by default. So no more cheap Russian games unless the developers turn off the ARCTAG.

So expect all the future releases like MGSV and Batman to be locked.

Edit: I meant "on"

Ouch, thats terrible..
Lucky that im russian

L.O.R.D

where i can find some one to sell the The Evil Within Season Pass of for 5 keys ?

edit : The Evil Within Season Pass is region free of they locked it ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It affects store-bought gift copies sourced from Eastern Europe, South America or South-east Asia, and it's an activation-level lock, not a runtime-level one like onlyallowrunincountries (i.e. if you activate a game and it's later locked with ACRTAG, you have nothing to worry about). I also suspect the flag may affect spares earned from redeeming a multi-pack retail key, but otherwise it's completely irrelevant to said keys.

Dr Dogg

I can't believe I'm saying this but Rhaknar is slowly selling me on The Evil Within with his 'skills'. Granted more by luck than design.

It affects store-bought gift copies sourced from Eastern Europe, South America or South-east Asia, and it's an activation-level lock, not a runtime-level one like onlyallowrunincountries (i.e. if you activate a game and it's later locked with ACRTAG, you have nothing to worry about). I also suspect the flag may affect spares earned from redeeming a multi-pack retail key, but otherwise it's completely irrelevant to retail keys.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks JaseC

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished chapter 3 of TEW, im liking it a lot so far. Definately feels like a RE / mikami game. Black bars are annoying but you eventually forget they are there, until you remember / notice them again and its jarring. But it runs perfectly at 60fps, I havent seen any bugs

also, I know I said it earlier, but chapter 1 is awful

JaseC

It'd be nice if the Pillars of Eternity beta had cards. They'd probably be worth a pretty penny.

All I need is for MGSV to not be region locked. pls Konami.

We'll more or less get our answer once Ground Zeroes is (pre-)purchaseable.

Shadownet

Banned

I have 8 hours in Enemy Unknown prior to this promotion and I immediately got my 80% off coupon for Enemy Within from Playfire sooo you might have to log in to your Playfire account first for it to synch up?
It'd be nice if the Pillars of Eternity beta had cards. They'd probably be worth a pretty penny.

Oh thank god your avatat is back to normal.

MadGear

i just can't stop buying CSGO gun skins :/

06nreIu.png

You could at least buy good looking ones :D
But yeah i also feel kind of tempted to get a few skins because i simply do not ever want to open a case and thus will probably never get skins for the most frequent used weapons (AK47, M4Ax, ...). But the ones i would like to get (don't care about StatTrak) are still fairly expensive and you could get one or more games during steam sales for the price of one skin. This kind of reasoning makes it hard for me to spend money on it :/

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Not the ones starring him

finished chapter 3 of TEW, im liking it a lot so far. Definately feels like a RE / mikami game. Black bars are annoying but you eventually forget they are there, until you remember / notice them again and its jarring. But it runs perfectly at 60fps, I havent seen any bugs

In what fashion? Is it full of cutscenes? Or is it something mechanical, like not having access to equipment or skills and the developers didn't take that into account when designing encounters?

JaseC

Oh thank god your avatat is back to normal.

For now. :p

You could at least buy good looking ones :D
But yeah i also feel kind of tempted to get a few skins because i simply do not ever want to open a case and thus will probably never get skins for the most frequent used weapons (AK47, M4Ax, ...). But the ones i would like to get (don't care about StatTrak) are still fairly expensive and you could get one or more games during steam sales for the price of one skin. This kind of reasoning makes it hard for me to spend money on it :/

I feel as though I'll be the only CS:GO player with the default skins a year from now, haha.

Miguel81

Old-school or Resi 4, or both smashed together like it should be?

MUnited83

For you.
All Steam games are ARCTAG from now on by default. So no more cheap Russian games unless the developers turn off the ARCTAG.

So expect all the future releases like MGSV and Batman to be locked.

Edit: I meant "on"

Actually, the store sub of MGSV was created before the region locking by default began. Of course, it's Konami, so it will come region locked anyway.

Legend of Korra has a 2 month sub so there is a chance of it being region free btw.

like I said - only the newly added ones ... the VERY newly added ones ... I'm talking about 3-4 days back tops

It actually affects any game that had their store sub created in the last month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom