• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jørdan

So, uh, what's the current attitude regarding Steam DRM? It isn't required, of course, but I personally feel as though Steam DRM is basically the most minimal evil possible.

Truth is, developers DO get blasted pretty hard via piracy sometimes. Would I suffer a backlash just by including the standard "please have Steam open to run this game" stuff?

If it can be played offline, I wouldn't blink an eye. As DRM goes in this day and age I agree with you on Steam's however I would be careful on how you word the requirement as people can get sniffy. Unless you're planning to use some form of DRM that would make EA blush I doubt it will hinder pirates and do nothing other than inconvenience and piss off your legitimate customers. It won't make any significant impact on levels of piracy, it may have a significant impact on sales and future customers.

Salsa

yeah, no russian probably means a big slow down for me / get stuff during sales

well, kinda about time either way I guess

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
You don't have to be online for the vast majority of games. DRM is not required by Valve. It is completely up to the developer/publisher. Some games are truly independent, able to launch without even using offline mode. You can backup the entire folder to a separate hard drive, if you want to do something like reinstall your system without downloading all your games again. You can mod as you see fit. You can back up your physical saves if you want. It's not obnoxious or intrusive (uplay).

In the eventuality that Valve ever goes out of business and Steam goes offline, I can easily make my games playable with a little help from other PC users.

So I think it's perfectly fine.

I think feep is asking cause he has a new game in the works and wants to know if it would be seen as a negative by the casual Steam user should his game use Steam DRM.

He is not asking from a user perspective :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got a 27% off voucher for Mordor season pass from GMG, wondering if I should get it. Is any of the stuff in the season pass available already? I havent started the game yet, been waiting on my second 970 to arrive

only lasts until friday too so I need to decide soon

also back to GMG 25% vouchers

Truth. My The Evil Within order being a prime example.

I don't see why not being able to get new releases at half price means you're going to wait until they're $5, instead of waiting until they're half price.

Simple: hype, just like lashman said.

By the time the game reaches $30 instead of $60, it's been out for awhile and there's something new in the pipeline that's coming out that you can get for $45 at GMG with voucher or whatever.

Seriously. Let's look at Risen 3.
I bought my copy out of fear of region lock... and having no idea when I could get in for $25 or less... especially not knowing when I'd be in the mood to play it... I figured... "hey, I'm still giving the devs and the publishers money, even if it's not what they want for my region at retail day one."

But honestly, I haven't played it yet and I don't know when I will.
By the time it hits $25? I'll have other games that I couldn't buy at half price that reign above it on the hype scale and will compete for my gaming dollars. Watch_Dogs is still there. GTAV will be there. MGSV and MGS:GZ will be there. RotTR will be there (but Shadownet will be sending me that one. :p).

So on and so forth.

TL;DR: By allowing gamers to purchase new games at $30 or less from Russia, publishers were getting sales from gamers like me, where we would buy it just because it was cheap enough (and cheaper than it would be in sales for a long time). Now we won't. And by the time it is as cheap as it was in Russia without region locking? We'll have moved our interest into something else.

They are failing to capitalize on the opportunity to sell to us because of that "it's new" type hype.

Even under those circumstances, I'm still going to some place that has it less than full price (coupon, discount, etc.).

I never pay $60 on day one for a standard edition of a game. Especially if it's digital.

Yeah, pretty much. My TEW was $45.
I need to get some sort of deal, even if it is day one... except in a few rare cases with console launches (and physical copies).

tmarg

Hmm, Gimbal looks interesting, and I've heard good things about Type Rider and Unmechanical, so it looks like I'm in.

Gimbal isn't that great, you'd be better off playing something like Altitude or Subspace, both of which are free.

Lomax

So, uh, what's the current attitude regarding Steam DRM? It isn't required, of course, but I personally feel as though Steam DRM is basically the most minimal evil possible.

Truth is, developers DO get blasted pretty hard via piracy sometimes. Would I suffer a backlash just by including the standard "please have Steam open to run this game" stuff?

I don't think most people care about Steam DRM (and as you probably know, a lot of people like being able to buy Steam keys places other than just on Steam), but I think GoG's market share, while small, is substantial enough to merit having the game there as well. But if all non-GoG copies were Steamworks I think you'd be fine. And if you need Steamworks for functionality of your game, you might hear a few complaints but they will almost certainly be minimal. In terms of DRM to stop piracy though, like others have said, there really isn't any. I think the best thing you can do to minimize piracy is keeping a tight control over whom you distribute the game to before release, that will minimize the chance it hits the scene before people can buy it.

"Apparently" as in "that's what a Monolith/WB rep said" or "apparently" as in "allegedly"?

Someone in this thread said it, and a mod (pretty sure it was Stump) pretty heavily implied that person was in a position where they would know. Personally, I was surprised it was that high, and I think Mordor was a bit of an anomaly due to the nature of the last minute hype. But it doesn't surprise me at all that the flag defaults to not allow trading now, I'm surprised it didn't always default that way.

Momentary

Banned
New games still only cost around 38-45 bucks. I got The Evil Within with the Season Pass for 49 bucks through GMG. Sure it's not mega cheap, but your still not paying close to the console counterpart.

AsfaeksBR

No Russians means that 85% of the AAA games on Steam will cost me just a little bit cheaper than on consoles, but it will run worse because my notebook is getting old...

Yea, I think I bought a console at the right time

Dr Dogg

I'm just trying to think what's coming out for the rest of the year and what I'm still in the considering phase. Ground Zeroes is going to be snapped up the moment it's available to buy. AC Unity I'm waiting for benchmarks. Far Cry 4 and LEGO Batman 3 I'll probably pick up latter down the line. CoD AW and Dragon Age Inquisition I'll wait for some SteamGAF feedback where as recently released stuff like The Evil Within, Borderlands 1.75 and Styx I'm still on the fence about and will probably wait for the right price. Only two games I have preordered left for the year are Ryse (long story don't ask) and Civ Beyond Earth. To be fair I think I've bought waaaay too many games this year as is and we've still got 2 and a bit sales to go through yet!

BasilZero

I just bought the Tomb Raider Collection.

Was planning to buy it for Christmas/holiday times but it was at a better deal than what it would possibly be lol - 80% off!

New games still only cost around 38-45 bucks. I got The Evil Within with the Season Pass for 49 bucks through GMG. Sure it's not mega cheap, but your still not paying close to the console counterpart.
Exactly. It isn't hard to find decent deals on things. Not as good as Russian pricing was, no, but still a far cry from full price.
I just bought the Tomb Raider Collection.

Was planning to buy it for Christmas/holiday times but it was at a better deal than what it would possibly be lol - 80% off!
It's an excellent deal.

Feep

Banned
I think feep is asking cause he has a new game in the works and wants to know if it would be seen as a negative by the casual Steam user should his game use Steam DRM.

This is correct.

I will be offering the game on GoG and Humble Bundle, so a DRM-free version will exist anyway, I guess. If that's the case, it's kind of pointless to include any in the Steam version, isn't it?

Also it's one less step I have to take in building.

Finally, a positive for developer laziness, right? = D

zkylon

zkylewd
clear Cookies and use another ip.

oh cool, that did it

modbot said:
instructions for participants:
i am giving away a steam key. to enter this giveaway, send a pm to modbot with any subject line. in the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. confused? watch this gif tutorial or ask for help.

modbot basics:
- this giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- i really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (zkylon, not modbot!) via pm instead of in thread.
- do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- if the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. replies may take a minute or two.
- don't believe saoirse's lies

rules for this giveaway:
- if you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. you need five or more posts in either the current steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

that new xcom thing -- MB-610C7FDCC94FF010 - Taken by The Reloader

jblank83

You say "casual user" and "user". I'm going to assume when you say "user" you mean "knowledgeable user".

However, as he's speaking of torrents and thumb drives, I'm going to assume he doesn't solely mean casual users, aka grandmas and grandpas and 16 year olds who play Kim Kardashians game.

In any case, given his next post, I'll say that offline mode compatibility is generally fine. Playing completely DRM free is nice (dosbox type games, e.g. Fallout 1 and 2), but most people don't expect it. They do expect to be able to play offline if they need to, though.

Shadownet

Banned
"Hey grandpa how come you have so many games on your Steam account?"

"Well little Billy back then I had friends and they could do amazing things, they could get me games for a fraction of the cost, they could get me some of the latest AAA games for less than $20! It was the golden age, everyone was getting games for dirt cheap."

"What happened to your friends?"

"Sadly all good things must come to an end, one day a terrible creature realized what we were doing, we were cutting into their profit. So they put region lock on all the new games. Fearing the worst, my friends have to flee their country and go into hiding. It was the end, no more cheap games. But what worst was, that day I lost many dear friends, I don't know what happened to them. I never saw them again."

"But that was a long time ago Billy, I have my memory and the 4,000 games that I will cherish forever. I do miss them everyday."

"I'm sure they're watching over you in heaven Grandpa."

He shed a tear as he look out into the yard where a headstone lay in the middle.

"In memory of The Russian Bear and Speed Dunder. Friends, till the end."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
for us europeans, a new release at GMG as long as they have a 25% voucher running, and as long as its 49.99 (which unfortunately is happening less and less) drops it down to 37.50, which is a far cry from the 70.00 it costs on consoles, and I think a reasonable price for a new release.

oh and I hate to say I told you so... but months ago when the russian stuff started to get out of control (around the witcher 3 time) and I said "yeah this wont last long at this rate", I was mocked because "russia is just a bleep in the sales" and "publishers dont care"

...I told you so :p

Lomax

This is correct.

I will be offering the game on GoG and Humble Bundle, so a DRM-free version will exist anyway, I guess. If that's the case, it's kind of pointless to include any in the Steam version, isn't it?

Also it's one less step I have to take in building.

Finally, a positive for developer laziness, right? = D

I'd say it's pointless unless it helps you, like if you were using their backend for leaderboards or matchmaking or something.

"Hey grandpa how come you have so many games on your Steam account?"

"Well little Billy back then I had friends and they could do amazing things, they could get me games for a fraction of the cost, they could get me some of the latest AAA games for less than $20! It was the golden age, everyone was getting games for dirt cheap."

"What happened to your friends?"

"Sadly all good things must come to an end, one day a terrible creature realized what we were doing, we were cutting into their profit. So they put region lock on all the new games. Fearing the worst, my friends have to flee their country and go into hiding. It was the end, no more cheap games. But what worst was, that day I lost many dear friends, I don't know what happened to them. I never saw them again."

"But that was a long time ago Billy, I have my memory and the 4,000 games that I will cherish forever. I do miss them everyday."

"I'm sure they're watching over you in heaven Grandpa."

He shed a tear as he look out into the yard where a headstone lay in the middle.

"In memory of The Russian Bear and Speed Dunder. Friends, till the end."

dunder shall live forevah

L.O.R.D

wah...i just learned there is SA ( Saudi Arabia ) store for steam

xTHUMe0.jpg

its just the same as US store , with the same prices and same currency
but some game are not available , like Dark souls 1 ( Dark souls 2 is available and i don't know why )
street fighter 4 , watch dogs and the crew and GTA and a lot more

the average salary here is around $1000 in month
and its weird that we been charged just like the US

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
This is correct.

I would think so, no reason to use DRM on one version when there are also sources for the game without any DRM.

Arthea

can someone explain me pls what is happening, why is it awful and why shadownet's grandson is called billy

you want short version or long?
oh well who I am kidding, too lazy for long
Nintendo bought Valve, now everything is region locked forever and half of the world can't gift games to other half

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I can only speak for myself when I say I don't mind Steam CEG, as I always have the client open when playing PC games and I find it non-intrusive. I also don't think the service will go away anytime soon, which probably helps. But not everyone thinks like me, and there may be some people who refuses to buy any game that implements said DRM.

One thing I can say, though, is that at the end of the day any DRM solution will be cracked and pirates will be able to play your game. One real life example is Child of Light, a game I preordered and downloaded day one. One of my friends somehow got a pirated copy, and he managed to beat the whole game even before I had finishing downloading the one I had bought on Steam. Bear in mind that this was the very release day, so whatever copy protection it had got obliterated in a few hours or maybe less. Yes, I know, CoL has Uplay so it may be different than CEG, but still. You'll run the risk of pissing off potential customers just to spite a bunch of people who may or may not have paid for it anyway were the game DRM-free, and who will be able to find a crack sooner or later.

It doesn't seem like an easy decision. CEG may prevent the game from being pirated day one, but it may make some honest people angry in the process. Sorry I can't be of more help here, I'm just trying to bring you both my perspective and that of potentially annoyed guys. In a perfect world your game would be DRM-free, but having to deal with Valve's solution is a compromise I'm willing to make. Keep in mind that not everybody else is, though.

Jørdan

Hehe. Yeah, it's great that you're making a DRM free version for those that will respond to that although sadly it is this version that will be illegally shared - making a Steam version with barbed wire is redundant as you acknowledge.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

For 99.9% of Steam users, the standard Steam DRM would not be an issue. The bigger issue is people who refuse to use Steam. For 99.9% of those people, they don't mind if you have Steam DRM on your Steam version, but want you to release a DRM-free version on GOG. Perhaps the best of both worlds approach to this would be to release on Steam and then after, say, 4-6 months, release on GOG, and if anyone asks you in the mean time just tell them you do plan to release on GOG eventually but need to work out some stuff contractually.

These days I've seen more people complaining about not allowing them to purchase your game for pennies on the dollar via Russian intermediaries.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

$1000 per month? you lucky bastards ... it's around $500 here ... AND we also get European prices on top of that, so it's $75 for a new game (60€) instead of $60

Jawmuncher

Was reading the Game Informer Issue and it sounds to me that the 24.99 will be just for the Campaign. Since it noted bonus modes would be included in the 40 dollar retail version.
So I could see there being a 5 dollar raid mode and then the usual 10 dollar retail increase in price.

zkylon

zkylewd
you want short version or long?
oh well who I am kidding, too lazy for long
Nintendo bought Valve, now everything is region locked forever and half of the world can't gift games to other half

whatever gets me bayonetta is fine

i regret nothing

Shadownet

Banned
Actually I wrote that in the perspective of JaseC. If you notice I said 4000 games..

Jase has about 3500 right now.

Maybe I should have added.

"Well why don't you go have dinner Billy, grandpa has to go play Ass Creed 30: Ass in Space"

"Oohhhh I'm going to tell grandma you said ass! Twice!

" YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT! Assassin's Creed 30: Assassin in Space!"

Deitus

$1000 per month? you lucky bastards ... it's around $500 here ... AND we also get European prices on top of that, so it's $75 for a new game (60€) instead of $60

$500 (US?) is your average per month? That $6000 a year. Your cost of living must be very cheap, because you couldn't live off that much in most parts of the US.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wah...i just learned there is SA ( Saudi Arabia ) store for steam

Isn't one of the challenges with Saudi Arabia that that "average" is kinda misleading, because there's very heavy variance (IE lots of incredibly rich folks, lots of incredibly poor folks)? If publishers are starting from the assumption that the poor folks aren't able to buy video games at all, then their target audience might be very comparable to US/Western Europe in terms of purchasing power?

(I actually know very little about selling in EMEA regions so perhaps someone here with more experience might offer some insight)

Feep

Banned
I'd say it's pointless unless it helps you, like if you were using their backend for leaderboards or matchmaking or something.
You can use these features without instituting DRM. They simply wouldn't work unless you were logged into the Steam client.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
$500 (US?) is your average per month? That $6000 a year. Your cost of living must be very cheap, because you couldn't live off that much in most parts of the US.

I'm not from the US ... and yes, that is around $6k a year ... and no, the cost of living isn't very cheap at all

zkylon

zkylewd
Actually I wrote that in the perspective of JaseC. If you notice I said 4000 games..

Jase has about 3500 right now.

Maybe I should have added.

"Well why don't you go have dinner Billy, grandpa has to go play Ass Creed 30: Ass in Space"

"Oohhhh I'm going to tell grandma you said ass! Twice!

" YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT! Assassin's Creed 30: Assassin in Space!"

didn't capture saoirse essence trying to hard complete do over 0/10

L.O.R.D

where do you live exactly ?

1000 if you find a job
and i can't even find a job with 700$ here
even MacDonlands can't allow me to join , saudi nationality only ( i am not saudi )

Jawmuncher

That's like Telltale games price. Really hope the game is as long as Rev 1 at least.

Capcom is saying 2 to 3 hours a episode. So it definitely looks like they are mimicking TT here. Especially since they want discussion after every episode just like the TT games have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom