• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleeping Dogs Definite Edition has way more people on screen while roaming the city if nothing else. Need to look up how to turn off the FXAA though, it's so horrible!

Parsnip

I'm not too bothered by the region locks, only ever bought one game from the bear. So I'm just going back to what I did some two weeks ago.

L.O.R.D

NEW UPDATE FOR DR3
its 10mb
dXpsVBR.jpg

Hello Dead Rising fans,

Today, we are releasing a patch which will address the crash on boot issue some of you are still experiencing, as well as an issue affecting those of you playing the game in Russian. We want to say thank you to the community for providing us with information that led to the fixes for the crash on boot issue. It was a bug which was easy to fix but hard to find, and continued support has paid off. The full change list is below:

Fixed an issue which would cause the game to crash on boot for players running the game from a hard drive with a sector size that is different from their C Drive
Fixed an issue which was causing the game to crash in a specific area when playing in Russian.

We also want to comment on some of the issues people are having when trying to force SLI and Crossfire to work. Some players have set up their systems to force usage of both GPUs by default, and some players have tried to force SLI/Crossfire ON while playing DR3. While this can benefit some games, DR3 PC does not make use of dual-GPUs. If your system is set to force dual-GPU usage when playing games, you can expect to see lower frame rates when compared to not forcing this setting.

As always, please use this thread to let us know if you are still experiencing issues with the game!

The Dead Rising Team

Lomax

While I think the region locking by default was inevitable, I still think that Mordor was an anomaly, and I suspect we may see publishers decide that removing the lock is beneficial to them overall. Personally, if I was a publisher, I'd leave it locked until release, that way you get the max money from early adopters, then I'd unlock it immediately after release for the people to jump on last minute (since they were clearly price conscious). I might leave it unlocked at that point, or re-lock it during large sales.

I do wonder if sites like GMG may have pressured publishers about the locks, since they probably lost out on a lot more sales than Steam itself did.

I'm not too bothered by the region locks, only ever bought one game from the bear. So I'm just going back to what I did some two weeks ago.

Well... isn't that great for you? :3
Not like the gifting in here is rampantly out of control anymore, but you can be damned sure you're not going to see many giveaways for new retail games like The Witcher 3, Dead Rising 3, etc. in the future.
And I'd wager this means Shadownet is really screwed when it comes to all those IOUs from his birthday giveaway, as there will be no russian ROW copies for cheap. (Sorry, dude.)

Not like it's been covered 74 times in the last 4 pages...

L.O.R.D

This is going to fix everything!

i wish
Hello Dead Rising fans,

Today, we are releasing a patch which will address the crash on boot issue some of you are still experiencing, as well as an issue affecting those of you playing the game in Russian. We want to say thank you to the community for providing us with information that led to the fixes for the crash on boot issue. It was a bug which was easy to fix but hard to find, and continued support has paid off. The full change list is below:

Fixed an issue which would cause the game to crash on boot for players running the game from a hard drive with a sector size that is different from their C Drive
Fixed an issue which was causing the game to crash in a specific area when playing in Russian.

We also want to comment on some of the issues people are having when trying to force SLI and Crossfire to work. Some players have set up their systems to force usage of both GPUs by default, and some players have tried to force SLI/Crossfire ON while playing DR3. While this can benefit some games, DR3 PC does not make use of dual-GPUs. If your system is set to force dual-GPU usage when playing games, you can expect to see lower frame rates when compared to not forcing this setting.

As always, please use this thread to let us know if you are still experiencing issues with the game!

The Dead Rising Team
http://steamcommunity.com/games/265550/announcements/detail/147816647460750974

maty

I've been playing Strata (featured in the latest indiegala monday bundle) and it's pretty good.
header.jpg

Taken right from the store page: "The goal of Strata is to strategically layer colored ribbons to match a pattern. Using forethought and strategy you must sequence your moves correctly"

As simple as that, of course as you progress puzzles become more difficult.

It's a little buggy though, achievements appear when completing the first puzzle of each set and not when all levels are finished. Also when going back to the main menu the level selection screen from the different sets start to overlap. Going back to the beginning won't do anything so you have no other choice but to quit the game. Restarting will fix it.

Nevertheless, I still recommend this game to anyone who played and enjoyed LYNE for example.

Shadownet

Banned
I already have Tomb Raider (2013) but not any of the other games, if I buy the Tomb Raider collection will they give me a gift copy of Tomb Raider? So I can give it to someone else?

Shadownet

Banned
And I'd wager this means Shadownet is really screwed when it comes to all those IOUs from his birthday giveaway, as there will be no russian ROW copies for cheap. (Sorry, dude.)

Ehh I'll make it work somehow I guess... You still want me to buy you an Xbone so you can play Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Yeah I didn't think so. Long shot. Anyway, which Tomb Raider game are a must buy? I only have the 2013 one.

I already have Tomb Raider (2013) but not any of the other games, if I buy the Tomb Raider collection will they give me a gift copy of Tomb Raider? So I can give it to someone else?

No.

There's a very limited set of games that actually give you the extra copy.
You can find it in Valve's FAQ.
Or you can add the collection to your cart and see if you get the standard warning about not receiving extra copies of the items you already own.

Ehh I'll make it work somehow I guess... You still want me to buy you an Xbone so you can play Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Yeah I didn't think so. Long shot. Anyway, which Tomb Raider game are a must buy? I only have the 2013 one.

Hahaha, no. Don't waste your money on an Xbone for me, even if it would allow me to guiltlessly play Quantum Break and Killer Instinct (and maybe even Scalebound).
As far as the TR games go, get Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld. All 3 are solid.
Oh, and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light too, if you don't have it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Whats the story behind the title? Dont mistake me, i have a PC + WiiU this gen and buying Bayo 2 day 1 but its kind of surprising.

Shadownet

Banned
Hahaha, no. Don't waste your money on an Xbone for me, even if it would allow me to guiltlessly play Quantum Break and Killer Instinct (and maybe even Scalebound).
As far as the TR games go, get Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld. All 3 are solid.
Oh, and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light too, if you don't have it.
Yeah I thought those 3 might be the best, will probably pick up Guardian of Light as well.

Last question, I'm guessing the Tomb Raider Collection is region locked? I don't see it as available in russia according to Enhanced Steam.

What's the story behind the title? Dont mistake me, i have a PC + WiiU this gen and buying Bayo 2 day 1 but its kind of surprising.
Really? I heard nothing but raving reviews from everyone on GAF. and trust me... you hear a lot on SteamGAF.

L.O.R.D

legend , anniversary and Underworld are good

NEW UPDATE FOR DR3
its 10mb
dXpsVBR.jpg

Cutscnes still lag for me even if lower the graphics while the game doesn't.

Sound is almost not existent eventhough they said they increased the volume in ptach 3. I read there is a method to increase the sound by activating Loudness Equalization in sound enhancement tab but this tab is missing Loudness Equalization (in fact nothing is there except deactivate sounds option).

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah I thought those 3 might be the best, will probably pick up Guardian of Light as well.

Last question, I'm guessing the Tomb Raider Collection is region locked? I don't see it as available in russia according to Enhanced Steam.

The Tomb Raider collection is available in Russia (https://steamdb.info/sub/49804/) and it's a separate sub, which is indeed region locked. But the ROW version is not purchase restricted( https://steamdb.info/sub/49800/) so russians can still buy it through cart exploit. Go to dispenser.tf and you will easily get ROW versions for cheap.

Nintendo + PC = love. It always has been the best combo.

I think thats true since last generation. I mean more and more traditional console games are coming out on PC. You dont have as many exclusives as you still had during the early PS3-time or Ps2/PSX time.
Except for like 1-2 games that arent even released I dont see why I should buy a PS4 now and maybe one of those comes out on PC too.

The WiiU, at least for me, would be one, where I would at least have a few more "must-haves".

L.O.R.D

Cutscnes still lag for me even if lower the graphics while the game doesn't.

Sound is almost not existent eventhough they said they increased the volume in ptach 3. I read there is a method to increase the sound by activating Loudness Equalization in sound enhancement tab but this tab is missing Loudness Equalization (in fact nothing is there except deactivate sounds option).
wbcon just answered me for the same question
wbacon
Cutscenes use additional (and more process-intensive) post process effects or shaders, which will have an impact on performance. It'll be more pronounced on lower end systems.

Well, I did it. I finally did it.

PvrhCZE.png

Took me about 200+ hours (172 on PC, rest from my save I pulled from Xbox), with a LOT of grinding. I literally sat there for 2 hours total over the course of a few days, just spamming Muffle while I had the 100% magicka regen buff to level Illusion. And boy, did I level illusion...

mopb8vS.jpg

Yes. I Legendary'd Illusion 9 times. Managed to grind out like, 18 levels while doing so, the last stretch I needed to hit 78 so I could fight a Legendary Dragon. Sadly, the dragon wasn't as badass as I'd expected, so as for as last achievements go, it was kinda disappointing.

I'm proud of my accomplishment, but needless to say, I'm not touching Skyrim again for a looong time.

Miguel81

Depending on how tolerant you are of older game design Tomb Raider 1, 2, and The Last Revelation are pretty great games. Tomb Raider 3 is brutally difficult, but still decent.

Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld are very good games. Anniversary is my favorite of the bunch and is the longest, and Underworld has a lot of bugs(figuratively and literally) so watch out.

Vlad

Gimbal isn't that great, you'd be better off playing something like Altitude or Subspace, both of which are free.

Hm, that's a shame, considering I already got the bundle. I've already played a TON of Altitude, and I'll have to look into this Subspace thing, though.

SSPssp

As stated earlier, retail keys (ROW) from other stores should still be fine.I just bought Borderlands Pre-Sequel off of Nuuvem (using Hola) and it activated fine. So hopefully that means there will be no problems in the future.

Shadownet

Banned

Jawmuncher

As stated earlier, retail keys (ROW) from other stores should still be fine.I just bought Borderlands Pre-Sequel off of Nuuvem (using Hola) and it activated fine. So hopefully that means there will be no problems in the future.

Nuveem and stuff like 25% off at GMG is going to be the avenue of choice for cheaper games now.

I have noticed a trend that most of the best posters ride hard for PC+Nintendo.

Really just comes down to how much you like nintendo stuff.
It's true that their 1st party stuff is the most unique compared to PS4/XB1 which
can be sort of be interchangeable. Since a lot of times it's just a different sort of action game.
I know for myself if I could only pick one system I highly doubt I would pick nintendo over MS or PS.
But i'm also not a good poster.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

PC+GBA was a great platform choice in the past.

PC+3DS has been treating me alright the past years.

I don't see why PC+3DS+WiiU wouldn't be even better.
but fuck buying a Wii U

Bayonetta 2... :(

Grief.exe

Whats the story behind the title? Dont mistake me, i have a PC + WiiU this gen and buying Bayo 2 day 1 but its kind of surprising.

Both of the moderators who routinely browse these threads own a WiiU, and we frequently discuss Nintendo in this thread as it's a good combination with PC.

Is there a source for the region locking news or how did ye find it out?

Steam Registry.

PC+GBA was a great platform choice in the past.

PC+3DS has been treating me alright the past years.

I don't see why PC+3DS+WiiU wouldn't be even better.
but fuck buying a Wii U

Bayonetta 2... :(

Just let it happen, I'm about to be forced to take on the same cost.

Miguel81

It just makes the most sense. You get lovely Nintendo First/Second-Party + PC exclusives and an abundance of multi-platform games. You're set for a long time, and get many of the greatest games with this combo.

wilflare

okay pardon me as I get this rate

some months ago,
Valve introduced the tag ARCTAG
and that is enabled by default - as cross-region trading/gifting is ALLOWED

over the past few days
the ARCTAG is now disabled by default on the really new subs
- cross-region trading/gifting is NOT allowed anymore

and it's now up to publishers to enable it for their games (change that default setting)

(i'm just confused because I read the past few pages and if ARCTAG is now enabled by default - that means it's allowed right?)

My monitor says my PC has no output signal when I woke up this morning, it's either the monitor, the displayport cable or the graphics card, and I'll have to borrow a computer to test it out. What a start for a day! :/

derExperte

Nintendo + PC = love. It always has been the best combo.

Last gen PC + PS3 was unbeatable imo (plus a 3/DS if you wanted a handheld). Unfortunately that lured me into buying a PS4 about three years too early, now I'm too lazy to sell it and can't justify buying a second current gen console. Oh well, life's hard.

One thing is certain, Valve and publishers will get much less revenue from me now. Games at 20/30$ on their release date are impulse buy territory. 60$ though? Good luck with that shit, I will wait a year and get them at 5$ anyways.

preach it.

I expect Valve has monitored sales for existing games with locks and determined that's it's better to lock. Key sellers have started to also sell gifts which may have lead to this too (opening cheap gifts to larger audiences).

yeah.

nope.

Ahh fuck. Oh well, i said it was coming, remember JaseC when i said valve was pushing for region locks? :p

how are you holding up?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wheres my Killer Instinct on steam Microsoft? thats the real tragedy, not the region locks

MUnited83

For you.
okay pardon me as I get this rate

some months ago,
Valve introduced the tag ARCTAG
and that is enabled by default - as cross-region trading/gifting is ALLOWED

over the past few days
the ARCTAG is now disabled by default on the really new subs
- cross-region trading/gifting is NOT allowed anymore

and it's now up to publishers to enable it for their games (change that default setting)

(i'm just confused because I read the past few pages and if ARCTAG is now enabled by default - that means it's allowed right?)

It's confusing because there's actually no tag at all if it's region free. Despite there being a "no" or "yes" option, when you see a game that has the ARCTAG, it's always set to "no". So when people talk about ARCTAG being enabled that's normally what they mean, that it's region locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom