• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What publishers are getting, from me, with this new default tag is exactly what they're going to get from you and many others: I'll buy it when it's at some price <$15 unless the hype is unreal and I need to play it NOW (The Evil Within, for example).
Even under those circumstances, I'm still going to some place that has it less than full price (coupon, discount, etc.).

I never pay $60 on day one for a standard edition of a game. Especially if it's digital.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is why some devs don't bother with PC ports.
Personally, I would have skipped most of them at $60 too if consoles were the only option. Remove the discounts and you'll get less purchases from me. No impulse buys, no word of mouth, nothing. Maybe you (not you, but devs) don't care about one less purchase; if so, more power to you. We'll both live to make it to the next day either way, probably.

Arthea

This is why some devs don't bother with PC ports.

only that's not how it works, basically what steam (or better to say PC gaming) does it makes us buy much more games because they are cheaper, meaning we buy games we don't need all the time, because price is affordable and this way we spend more (and in fact much more) than we would if we only buy games we really want and will play, for full price. It maybe is worse for one separately viewed dev of very successful game, but it's actually better for a lot of them. That's why we get more not that successful games ported, everybody knows about it. Also you are conveniently forgetting hat PC games keep selling much much much much longer than console ones. So you trade big one time profit, for one smaller that keeps getting you some income for years.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't see why not being able to get new releases at half price means you're going to wait until they're $5, instead of waiting until it's half price.

When it finally it reaches half price:

-It no longers hold my interest to play it right away like a new release would
-When it reaches half price you don't really have to wait much more for the 5$/7.5$ to happen. At that point I will just get through my backlog until it reaches that price point.

edit: basically what iashman and corrosivefrost said.

Shadownet

Banned
I don't see why not being able to get new releases at half price means you're going to wait until they're $5, instead of waiting until they're half price.
This is NeoGAF either Russian prices or $5 sales.

I never pay $60 on day one for a standard edition of a game. Especially if it's digital.

Idk there are some exception where I would break that rule. Tales games on PC, .Hack// games or maybe AC:Unity and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Ozium

Valve just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Steam culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Origin where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on Steam you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase new Steam games, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Valve has alienated an entire market with this move.

Valve, publicly apologize and cancel region locking or you can kiss your business goodbye.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
edit: basically what iashman and corrosivefrost said.

lashman, goddammit ... not "iashman" ... with a lower-case "L"!!!

Valve just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Steam culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Origin where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on Steam you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase new Steam games, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Valve has alienated an entire market with this move.

Valve, publicly apologize and cancel region locking or you can kiss your business goodbye.

/s

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
We know that they offer tools for that which spit out very detailed data that the devs can analyze.

How far are you? Because later levels, bosses and enemy waves are not amazing at all, it becomes kinda bullshitty. Still worth one playthrough for the presentation.

~1 hour, got to the big grinding wheel boss (Papa Carlo) on my first run

No bullshit so far

Patison

Maybe someone still doesn't have it :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Patison:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Patison, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Osmos -- MB-D6B4701A16C20D5B - Taken by agniswarm. 2 entrants total.

t1413323285z1.png

About the only thing that will change for me is impulse buys, a $20 game that I can get for less than $10 via a trader is a good enough reason for me to try something I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Feep

Banned
So, uh, what's the current attitude regarding Steam DRM? It isn't required, of course, but I personally feel as though Steam DRM is basically the most minimal evil possible.

Truth is, developers DO get blasted pretty hard via piracy sometimes. Would I suffer a backlash just by including the standard "please have Steam open to run this game" stuff?

Ozium

So, uh, what's the current attitude regarding Steam DRM? It isn't required, of course, but I personally feel as though Steam DRM is basically the most minimal evil possible.

Truth is, developers DO get blasted pretty hard via piracy sometimes. Would I suffer a backlash just by including the standard "please have Steam open to run this game" stuff?

any DRM can be cracked so therefore any DRM is utterly pointless for pirates

Publishers saying stuff like "we don't do PC ports because people want to buy our product at $20 instead of $60" forget that console games can usually be traded in or even sold second hand. We don't have that luxury.

MUnited83

For you.

Games get their DRMs patched by pirates on the day they release, so I don't think putting Steam CEG on your game will have a meaningful impact on piracy. Though, the Steam CEG is a pretty bland and minimal DRM so I don't think there would be a backlash at all. Having your game being DRM-free might be a bonus for some people though.

It seems that most people don't even know that this is an option and think that every game sold on Steam requires Steam to run. So I can't really imagine it impacting your game in any meaningful way.

MUnited83

For you.
Supposedly we're supposed to get the coupon automatically or something? I dunno where or how it shows up though, so I'm kinda confused by the whole thing.

I recently got a 25% off Mordor season pass of them because I played Mordor. They sent a email with the code. I assume it will be the same here.

Arthea

We know that they offer tools for that which spit out very detailed data that the devs can analyze.

so you mean devs monitor for valve? You still need someone to coordinate, compile and analyze that and by someone I mean a lot of people and even then there sales outside of steam

Feep

Banned
Games get their DRMs patched by pirates on the day they release, so I don't think putting Steam CEG on your game will have a meaningful impact on piracy.
Well, it wouldn't have much of an effect on traditional torrent piracy. It still might have an effect on more the casual "here let me copy these files to a thumbdrive" type stuff, but then, do I really even want to eliminate that?

It seems that most people don't even know that this is an option and think that every game sold on Steam requires Steam to run. So I can't really imagine it impacting your game in any meaningful way.
Not...the people pirating it? o_O

MUnited83

For you.
People don't remember when Splinter Cell Chaos Theory came out and it was a few months before anyone cracked it.

A thing that doesn't happen 99% of the times though. Recent cases are like... Football Manager on it's first months I believe? A quick search through torrent sites seems to indicate that Steam CEG titles are not that well protected.

Well, it wouldn't have much of an effect on traditional torrent piracy. It still might have an effect on more the casual "here let me copy these files to a thumbdrive" type stuff, but then, do I really even want to eliminate that?
I think that the number of people that do that kind of thing are a very very very minimal portion, it would barely impact anything at all. (especially because they could just go and download it from a torrent). And as I said, it's a plus for people who prefer DRM-free and might want to play their games without starting Steam or ven playing it on their own devices that don't have steam installed.

tmarg

you know, it's 3 months we are now waiting for valve to tell us what's going on with greelight, also we wait days for support replies, not to mention we never get Valve to do anything that requires actually to do something fast, by fast I mean in matter of reasonable time frame. Yet they monitor sales? Of 80 mln userbase? with what? 5 people? c'mon that's too funny

Hate to break it to you, but in Valve's business, monitoring sales data is a lot more important than fussing about with greenlight.
It's important to you, it's important to a lot of small developers, but for Valve it's a lot of work for a small fraction of their business.

Steam is so nebulous about which games work in which manner that most people probably won't notice. For example, I never notice until someone points it out. Maybe that's just because I only launch Steam games from the library, though.

That said, some people will notice and some of them will make a fuss about it. There will also be some people that are left in the cold by such decisions - there always is.

Just, please, never consider always-online, limited activation, or malware-esque DRM (those ones that mess with CD burners and stuff like that) and you'll get no complains from me. And remember that, ultimately, GOG is the future.

MRORANGE

I think having Steam actually makes people not want to pirate a game, of course it needs to be heavily integrated into the Steam eco-system such as friends, stats, achievements, cards and all that extra fluff to make people think twice about pirating it. You will still have that 5% who would prefer a DRM who in most cases would more likely pay full price for it rather than waiting for a sale, it's a mixed boat, you can either embrace Steam and sell thousands of copies in a flash sale and have a slow trickle or have a DRM free version that will get barely noticed but will have more buyers who actually play the game. You can please both crowds by just hosting a DRM free version, depending on bandwidth/cost.

At this time, if you don't have your game on Steam you might as well not bother making a game if you want to see a profit.

Arthea

Hate to break it to you, but in Valve's business, monitoring sales data is a lot more important than fussing about with greenlight.
It's important to you, it's important to a lot of small developers, but for Valve it's a lot of work for a small fraction of their business.

that post wasn't about greenlight though

Dr Dogg

Pretty surprised Alien Isolation can run on an old laptop with a GT525m pretty damn well. Well... except for the whole melting hand...

I'm not really that surprised when you put all the elements together. Primarily PC dev with good history on scalable engines (we'll let the Empire and Rome II launch issues slide), first person view point with the enviornement more of the focus than characters/AI meaning less variable resources and more focus on effects and slower paced gameplay isn't going to have you running from area to area streaming in masses of assets.

What I'm really surprised about is how a flipping primarily Strategy game dev can make one of the best movie franchise/tie-ins I've ever played with little to no experience in the concepts they have shown here. Sound design is spot on as is the atmosphere. Saying that I'm a big wimp and only playing it in small chunks so I don't scare myself shitless. Would be an awesome game to sell me on VR and the Rift but I think it might do me in.

MUnited83

For you.
I think having Steam actually makes people not want to pirate a game, of course it needs to be heavily integrated into the Steam eco-system such as friends, stats, achievements, cards and all that extra fluff to make people think twice about pirating it. You will still have that 5% who would prefer a DRM who in most cases would more likely pay full price for it rather than waiting for a sale, it's a mixed boat, you can either embrace Steam and sell thousands of copies in a flash sale and have a slow trickle or have a DRM free version that will get barely noticed but will have more buyers who actually play the game. You can please both crowds by just hosting a DRM free version, depending on bandwidth/cost.

At this time, if you don't have your game on Steam you might as well not bother making a game if you want to see a profit.
He's asking about releasing the game on Steam and it being drm-free or using the steam ceg drm solution. You can release drm-free games on steam and still have steamworks features.

Enco

My current top games of the year:

1. Wolfenstein TNO
2. TWD 2
3. Alien

Looking forward to see how it changes in the coming months.

jblank83

You don't have to be online for the vast majority of games. DRM is not required by Valve. It is completely up to the developer/publisher. Some games are truly independent, able to launch without even using offline mode. You can backup the entire folder to a separate hard drive, if you want to do something like reinstall your system without downloading all your games again. You can mod as you see fit. You can back up your physical saves if you want. It's not obnoxious or intrusive (uplay).

In the eventuality that Valve ever goes out of business and Steam goes offline, I can easily make my games playable with a little help from other PC users.

So I think it's perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom