• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family sharing needs to be easier. I can't figure this shit out...

Any tips?

I had some trouble getting it set up too, but if I remember correctly...

1. Sign in on the computer you want to share with.
2. Authorize it with Steam Guard
3. Go on your main computer, Settings>Family, then check the computer you're going to share with, and click OK

Should I get an HDMI switch to swap between monitor and TV? Or is there some better solution? My video card only has one HDMI port (and one mini-DP and 2xDVI).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Should I get an HDMI switch to swap between monitor and TV? Or is there some better solution? My video card only has one HDMI port (and one mini-DP and 2xDVI).

If your videocard has two DVI outputs, why are you using an HDMI cable for your monitor?

HDMI and DVI also share the exact same signals - HDMI only has more information, because it also has audio. Which is why you can easily (and cheaply) acquire an DVI->HDMI cable, or DVI-HDMI adapters - most will strip audio out, but some videocards support audio-through-dvi, by using the unused analog pings on the connector. But that's not really supported.

There are also HDMI/DVI->MiniDP and VGA->MiniDP adapters. Both dumb ones (pretty cheap) and smart ones (expensive), that are usable for different scenarios.

So yes, there are better alternatives.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The PRO isn't affected by the bug that will be fixed since it uses another kind of memory plus firmware than the EVO and non-PRO. You should get 100% of the advertised speed. What benchmark tools are you using (the one in Samsung Magician is very unreliable) and have you run Magician's performance optimization?

HD tune pro. Downloading Samsung Magician now.

If your videocard has two DVI outputs, why are you using an HDMI cable for your monitor?

HDMI and DVI also share the exact same signals - HDMI only has more information, because it also has audio. Which is why you can easily (and cheaply) acquire an DVI->HDMI cable, or DVI-HDMI adapters - most will strip audio out, but some videocards support audio-through-dvi, by using the unused analog pings on the connector. But that's not really supported.

There are also HDMI/DVI->MiniDP and VGA->MiniDP adapters. Both dumb ones (pretty cheap) and smart ones (expensive), that are usable for different scenarios.

So yes, there are better alternatives.
Thanks for the reply. I use HDMI for the monitor because I normally use its integrated speakers. Now that you mention it though, a few days ago I did set up some external bookshelf speakers that work with the PC. I suppose I can now just leave the TV plugged into the HDMI port.

I'll give it a shot. Hopefully it won't be a pain making sure the games go to fullscreen on the TV only or anything like that. Maybe that's a thing of the past though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my new 24" monitor only has hdmi, no dvi, which I thought was fucking bizarre. Picture quality destroys my old one so im fine with it...

...the last few posts made me realise I still havent played Rising and now im worried

Milamber

Isn't one of the challenges with Saudi Arabia that that "average" is kinda misleading, because there's very heavy variance (IE lots of incredibly rich folks, lots of incredibly poor folks)? If publishers are starting from the assumption that the poor folks aren't able to buy video games at all, then their target audience might be very comparable to US/Western Europe in terms of purchasing power?

(I actually know very little about selling in EMEA regions so perhaps someone here with more experience might offer some insight)

I'm in the UAE, neighboring SA, and you are right about the discrepancies between the classes. $1,000 average for the middle, $5-600 for lower and $3-5,000 for the higher here. Costs of living here is astronomical right now and only the higher range can get their own places. Middle class can get their own if they decide to live out farther from the city.

Average game costs here was lower at 169 AED ($46) but they have slowly crept up to 220 AED ($60) since the PS3 end days and seem to stick. Same for PC. I'm hoping that if Steam pricing comes to the UAE, it will follow the old pricing.

PC gaming in the UAE is quite rare. Most of the people here game on consoles. PC game sections in stores are abysmal.

my new 24" monitor only has hdmi, no dvi, which I thought was fucking bizarre. Picture quality destroys my old one so im fine with it...

...the last few posts made me realise I still havent played Rising and now im worried
I use HDMI on mine and I haven't had issues. Did on my TV, but not on my monitor.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thanks for the reply. I use HDMI for the monitor because I normally use its integrated speakers. Now that you mention it though, a few days ago I did set up some external bookshelf speakers that work with the PC. I suppose I can now just leave the TV plugged into the HDMI port.
Yes, I forgot to mention: If you have built in speakers on your monitor, HDMI is (usually) the way to go. Like I said, sometimes, some monitors and videocards will allow Audio to go through the unused Analog pins on the DVI-I connector (DVI has unique pins and connectors for different scenarios: DVI-A for Analog, DVI-D for Digital and DVI-I for both), but your whole setup (videocard, monitor, videocard driver) has to support that, and it's not part of the specification. I've never looked into it myself.

You could also check if your monitor has a P2 audio input (headphones plug) or an Optical Input. Those are also valid ways to output audio to your monitor.

You could always buy a DVI->HDMI cable. I've used one of those on my TV for a while (videocard didn't have an HDMI out) and it worked fine (audio was through Optical cable to the Home Theater).

Is it bad if I continue to use DVI?

Nope. Like I said, HDMI and DVI use the exact same Digital signal. The only difference is that HDMI allows for audio to go through, and DVI has proper support for Analog signals as well (but no audio).

Miguel81

It might be an issue if the monitor supports 24hz. Some(usually older) games will default to that at 1920 x1080. Crysis still does, and they never patched it.

Milamber

Eh, not really. I would, but I feel more comfortable using HDMI since I use my PC for LAN parties and stuff quite a bit so I plug and unplug the cable more. All those pins on DVI connectors seem kinda delicate.

That's good, cause my monitor only has 1 DVI and 1 HDMI, and my WiiU is connected to HDMI.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think it's more psychological then anything. I mean come on, people with 980s and 970s can afford 60$ games every now and then.

y u lik dat bear? :(

now go get me Ryse (wait is that locked now too?)

legacyzero

Banned
I had some trouble getting it set up too, but if I remember correctly...

1. Sign in on the computer you want to share with.
2. Authorize it with Steam Guard
3. Go on your main computer, Settings>Family, then check the computer you're going to share with, and click OK

So we both just did this. Now my name is showing up in his list of authorized users. But I dont see his games in my games list anywhere..

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So we both just did this. Now my name is showing up in his list of authorized users. But I dont see his games in my games list anywhere..

Both of you have to go into Steam Settings and either enable sharing on a game-by-game basis on all the games on your account.

Or none.

Miguel81

Not really. DVI can push higher resolutions, but the newer HDMI standards start overtaking it at a certain point.

HDMI has been a godsend for multichannel audio, most of all. Too bad the video side has been taking baby steps, and DisplayPort has been annihilating it.

So.

Which one of you are proper?

I promise to be proper when Zelda comes out. I'll get Bayonetta also since I've never gotten around to playing them.

Rhaknar

oh being proper is owning a WiiU? pft all you posers riding Bayo's dick, Ive owned a WiiU since day 1

...and only played ZombieU on it >_> At least it was awesome :(

Rhaknar

Now Mario Kart 8?

No. You're not proper lol

Yes, thats what I want to do, play another Mario Kart game. or another Mario game in general. Good lord...

You could have at least suggested Wonderful 101 or something

edit: so not to derail this thread even more (even tho a MOD is doing it now of all people, further proving that he is a demon that just wants to see the world burn), how excited should I be to play Batman Oranges if:

A) Arkham Asylum is one of my favorite games ever and B) Arkham City did little for me and I struggled to finish it?

Some of the best games I've played in the last 2 years have been on Wii U. Try out some other stuff: Lego City Undercover, Super Mario 3D World, DKC TF, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, NES Remix 1 and 2. Smash and Bayo upcoming as well.

Zombi U is pretty cool, though.

I have no interest in playing any of those games. In fact, some of them I have negative interest in, if thats possible. Except Bayo2, and even that im not dying to play or anything. Sorry :/

jblank83

oh being proper is owning a WiiU? pft all you posers riding Bayo's dick, Ive owned a WiiU since day 1

...and only played ZombieU on it >_> At least it was awesome :(

Some of the best games I've played in the last 2 years have been on Wii U. Try out some other stuff: Lego City Undercover, Super Mario 3D World, DKC TF, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, NES Remix 1 and 2. Smash and Bayo upcoming as well.

Zombi U is pretty cool, though.

Since this seems to be the secret WiiU thread, is Nintendoland worth $10 (used)?

Nintendo Land is worth $10. It has some fun solo games. About half the game is solo, half multi. Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, and the Ninja Castle game are fun solo.

Sajjaja

Just finished Shadow of Mordor's story. It was pretty stale tbh, kind of anti climactic. But I enjoyed my time with the game. Will probably play some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom