• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I know it's that time of the night again but let's not write things we can't take back, yes?

I own one. 2014 has been a terrible year for poor, halfdead Vita and it will only get worse. Pix the Cat is good of course.

Vita is great if you like Japanese games.
Im drowning in them. Though if anything else then yeah.

jblank83

I know it's that time of the night again but let's not write things we can't take back, yes?

Super Mario 3D World is fantastic quality from start to finish, with excellent design. It's the sort of game Nintendo's reputation is built on, from the incredible Mario EAD team (Galaxy 1 and 2, etc). I'd put it up against anything released this year.

That said, it was released in 2013.

Wii U has been out for almost two years at this point where the other consoles are less than a year old. One would hope it would have the better library :p Which it absolutely does!

Still, I'm happy with having all of the consoles now. Really enjoying both Horizon 2 and Drive Club at the moment, bit of a racing overload on my part given I went back to GT6 recently too. Could have waited but that's how it always goes with such things, could not pick one up until 2018 for dirt but that's no fun. All depends on what you value I suppose, I spent 550 dollars for my 780Ti earlier this year so purchasing a console doesn't really phase me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been considering going nintendo as well recently. It seems like much of this gens AAA has not panned out so well.

Destiny, Watch Dawgs, Ryse and so on has been average or worse.

I do have high hopes for Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Bloodborne and Witcher 3 but those certainly don't warrant purchasing a console for yet. Whereas Wii U has built a respectable first party library that I can see myself pouring several hours into.

The Wii U has been solid. Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors are the only games I've paid $60 for this year, and I have Super Smash Bros pre-ordered. The system also has Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Windwaker HD, and more.

If I had to choose one console to buy right now, it'd be the Wii U.

MUnited83

For you.
Mario Kart 8 was my only full-price purchase in the last 3 years. Bayonetta 2 will probably be my second.

And I don't even own a Wii U yet.

FloatOn

The Wii U has been solid. Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors are the only games I've paid $60 for this year, and I have Super Smash Bros pre-ordered. The system also has Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Windwaker HD, and more.

If I had to choose one console to buy right now, it'd be the Wii U.

When I first played Mario Kart 8 at this barcade here in Orlando, I found myself thinking that I would buy a Wii U just for that game. It really is quite beautiful in motion and so much fun to play split screen with friends while drinking. I imagine Smash will be the same way.

Now if nintendo would stop being dicks and get around to the super metroid and starfox sequels of my dreams I'd buy the system tomorrow.

I was bored with SM3DW for the 2 hours I played it with friends.
It was a fun time for all but me.
I actually found it was really annoying to play coop, that damn camera.
Also waaaayyyy too many times did I get killed because a friend started running and the run button = pick up button, argh.

jblank83

I actually found it was really annoying to play coop, that damn camera.

Which is the fun some people get out of NSMB/SM3DW multiplayer. An example would be the GB QuickLooks at the NSMB Wii and U games.

Not what I want from my platforming, but I guess some people enjoy it.

iavi

Yep, Super Mario 3D World is better than anything I beat on Steam this year.

True this. A 4 player game of SM3D World is one of gaming's best experiences ever.

Which is the fun some people get out of NSMB/SM3DW multiplayer. An example would be the GB QuickLooks at the NSMB Wii and U games.

True this too. 90% of the fun to get out of the co-op is the idea that at any point it ain't really a co-op, and a subtle vs match. Sabotage using everything from plain grab n tosses to trying to drag the camera is what makes it top-tier.

Hmm, yeah that's not what I want from my platforming either.
Really what I want from the newest coop mario games is to be basically Rayman Origins/Legends :p

Man, if only Ubisoft made a Super Mario 3D World type game but with Rayman instead, that'd be awesome, a coop game with a good camera and none of that throwing people off of ledges accidentally.

derExperte

Danganronpa is amazing and I while I haven't played it I hear 2 is great as well.

I forgot about that, of the Japanese releases it looks the most appealing to me. But is that game already rare? Very few online shops have it in stock here and it still costs 40-50€ even used. Hate to say it but I'd rather wait and see if it hits PS+.

Reminds me that today should be the day Samsung releases the fixed firmware for the 840 (EVO).

wilflare

Danganronpa is amazing and I while I haven't played it I hear 2 is great as well.

ditto this.
I played and plat Danganronpa 1 - quite a ride!
bought Danganronpa 2 as well but have yet to find time to play it!

hmm I would strongly suggest investing in a Vita memory card and getting them off PSN when it's on sale or something - it's well worth it!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Tropical Freeze is the best game of 2014, has the greatest soundtrack in a video game, and is the greatest 2d platformer of all time.

Hold those truthbombs until Bayonetta 2 drops.

derExperte

Reminder: Everyone who owns Eufloria now owns Eufloria HD too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221180/

header.jpg

Sorry, no cards.

Miguel81

Damn these Androids creep me out. Had to drop a noisemaker to distract hm or I was gonna have my ass handed to me. The dude wouldn't move, just staring with those creepy Terminator eyes. I hope TEW can be as unnerving as Alien, even though it's heavier on the action.

Are there any really graphically impressive F2P games? Technically, not stylistically.

Yeah, Planetside 2. That really did some work on my previous cpu(Phenom 965) back during time of release.

Bluth54

Tropical Freeze is the best game of 2014, has the greatest soundtrack in a video game, and is the greatest 2d platformer of all time.

Hold those truthbombs until Bayonetta 2 drops.

While I'm not quite ready to say Tropical Freeze is the best game of 2014 it's certainly in the running. Sadly I'm guessing a lot of people will forget about it since it was released so early in the year.

Ventara

Just saw the new Humble bundle, and meh, I already have everything except Aaaaa! for the Awesome and Super Hexagon, neither of which interest me in the slightest. Might pick up the $5 tier depending on if anything good gets added, though.

Oh, and if anyone else was like me and having trouble buying the Indie Gala Friday bundle, they seem to have fixed the problem. Definitely a good bundle that you should buy if you haven't. I'll probably pick up the Monday bundle, too, if only for Strata and The Maker's Eden.

Maniac

Banned
Just played a quick round of CSGO, a case dropped and once again i was inclined to open it. Started the case opening simulator, simulated 10 openings and reconsidered once more :D I'll probably never open a single case because i would regret it immediately. I like Dota 2s approach way more but i guess the implementation in CS:GO and the thirst for knives nets them a lot more money?
You could always just give me the cases to eliminate the risk of temptation :p
A handheld dude? :p
Pocket-sized midgets, man. It's how I clean my computer!... And other hard to reach places, including fleshy bits.. :3
So last night I installed all of the games I'll be playing during this year's Extra Life marathon, which is happening one week from Saturday (Oct 25th)!
Check out the details here.
Man, I wish I could join up with someone for EXL. Just don't 'know' anyone participating :/
No, the Evil Within is not ugly, its probably one of the best looking horror games I've ever seen.
I nominate Alien: Isolation for best-looking in the history of ever
Btw for those who are wondering about the playfire rewards regarding Enemy Unknown. If you play it for an hour they will email you a code for 80% off Enemy Within.
Yeah, uh. Bah. Playfire wont even acknowledge anything I do after linking steam with it. Do I need the client? And is it supposed to retroactively do reward-y stuffs? And damn, I want to get meself that code if EW isn't too expensive to start with.Love the heck out of EU, so wouldn't mind more!
Ok, I'm really liking this new logo
Took a bit of my advice, eh? Eh? Eeeeeeh?

No really though, looks a lot better. Some people have complained about the design changes to Steam, and I've liked the majority, especially the new icon. It's just... Better looking. More modern, and definitely much better if you intend on having somewhat of an ecosystem, or in Valve's case, a Steam Universe.

256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD for $180 + Assassin's Creed Unity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...na-_-na&cm_sp=
such an unexpected bundle. is it something just newegg decides to do(as in, without ubi's input), or this is a ubi thing? i'm accustomed to graphics cards bundles with games, not SSD's :p

GRID 2 and Autosport got bundled with Intel CPUs, I don't think they are CPU heavy games.
Really? maybe because i dont really buy these type of stuff internationally(taxes and waiting would murder my wallet), and mostly buy on the equivalent of Ebay here in Brazil(Mercado Livre), it's sorta uncommon for me. Interesting, nonetheless.

such an unexpected bundle. is it something just newegg decides to do(as in, without ubi's input), or this is a ubi thing? i'm accustomed to graphics cards bundles with games, not SSD's :p
GRID 2 and Autosport got bundled with Intel CPUs, I don't think they are CPU heavy games.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wait a minute, what the hell happened. I played a bit of MG Rising at launch and could get it to run at 1680x1050 60fps on my TV. But launched it again today and its fucking stuck at 24 FPS. Community says its cause im using HDMI. What type of bullshit is this? Windowed mode goes 60 butt looks but ugly. I hate these shit ports. In this case it was a patch that broke it.

Grief.exe

Wait a minute, what the hell happened. I played a bit of MG Rising at launch and could get it to run at 1680x1050 60fps on my TV. But launched it again today and its fucking stuck at 24 FPS. Community says its cause im using HDMI. What type of bullshit is this? Windowed mode goes 60 butt looks but ugly. I hate these shit ports. In this case it was a patch that broke it.

I thought the HDMI bug was there day one. Does your TV accept VGA or DVI?

Would making a custom resolution that's off by one pixel with a 60hz refresh work?.

derExperte

They are about 1/2-1/3 of what they should be. If this firmware doesn't fix the issue I'm going to switch my Windows install to another drive.

The PRO isn't affected by the bug that will be fixed since it uses another kind of memory plus firmware than the EVO and non-PRO. You should get 100% of the advertised speed. What benchmark tools are you using (the one in Samsung Magician is very unreliable) and have you run Magician's performance optimization?

Was that the common fix? So i make a 1920x1079?I know day one there was a problem with 1080p not being compatible with my tv so i was stuck at 1680. But now i can access 1080p but its stuck at 24 fps.
I didn't have to do it for Rising but I did for a few other games with similar problems. It's worth a shot, I think.

Miguel81

I didn't have to do it for Rising but I did for a few other games with similar problems. It's worth a shot, I think.

Crysis and Prince of Persia 2008 still have the 24hz bug. ALT+ENTER works for the former, at least(not on Win 8.1). Played PoP in 1600 x 900 -- good thing it's a gorgeous game even at that res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom