• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

Going to hold off on The Evil Within as Flawless Widescreen should soon be supporting it and I have 2 970s here tomorrow.

cgxuehuv.fpy.jpg

iDTech doesn't support Sli

Nice passive-agressive post, laughing at me and referencing something I am apparently missing while being too lazy/cowardly to explain what that "point" is and have a real conversation. I'm not looking to "hate on" the game or tell other people they are dumb for liking it. I'm just sharing my impressions.

Edit: \/ Same to you down there. \/

How long are you in the game? The first actual boss should have taught you the proper way of using the parry move and it's absolutely not:

For the parrying, there is first the problem with the initial parry being very slow. This is because there is an upgrade to increase your attacking speed, but until you unlock that, you have to begin your parry way ahead of time. That's fine, since every enemy attack gives a tell about a full second ahead of when they'll hit you, but if you wait until the moment you actually want to strike their attack, you'll get hit because your strike won't come out fast enough. It's unintuitive for gameplay and feels really sluggish for a cyborg ninja.

You also seem to be missing the point of slicing things. You seem to expect it to be an uber ninja move that gives you a score of SSSSSS for SSSAWWWSOOOME automatically, while in reality it's supposed to be specifically crafted for slicing critical points of the enemies while grabbing their heartwhatevers to get more energy while keeping up your combo AND killing the enemy faster.

There's another mode for your ultra cyborg kill move slice action and it totally isn't "the slo mo".

You also mention that there's some camera issues and while I can agree with that, have you tried, you know, pointing at the enemy and pressing the buttons in your controller? It works pretty much always.

It's been a while since I played Revengeagence so I can't really give you 1:1 tips, but your post really did sound like nothing like the game I played, sorry for being passive aggressive. It's a pretty complex game with complex mechanics, it's just that you can slash your way through for the most part which makes it confusing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The reason your parry is acting more like a block is because your timing was off, if you activate the parry too soon it'll just block, but if you parry at the last possible second it'll act like you expect it too and Raiden will swing at the enemy leaving them vulnerable and you able to kick their ass.

The parry system is REALLY poorly explained, probably the biggest downfall of Metal Gear Rising, I assume something got lost in translation because the way it is explained in game is just terrible.

It works the same as other action games with a parry mechanic like Bayonetta but you press Square/X along with it and the way it works is to press towards the attack at right before the moment of impact and in Rising's case press Square/X, but if you're not familiar with character action games I can see how it can be confusing. Didn't the tutorial at the beginning of the game have you perform a perfect parry at least once before proceeding though?

It works the same as other action games with a parry mechanic like Bayonetta but you press Square/X along with it and the way it works is to press towards the attack at right before the moment of impact and in Rising's case press Square/X, but if you're not familiar with character action games I can see how it can be confusing. Didn't the tutorial at the beginning of the game have you perform a perfect parry at least once before proceeding though?
Nope, you can slash right through them all without having to parry.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why arent there crazy parry / combo Rising gifs around like there are for DMC4?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The reason your parry is acting more like a block is because your timing was off, if you activate the parry too soon it'll just block, but if you parry at the last possible second it'll act like you expect it too and Raiden will swing at the enemy leaving them vulnerable and you able to kick their ass.

The parry system is REALLY poorly explained, probably the biggest downfall of Metal Gear Rising, I assume something got lost in translation because the way it is explained in game is just terrible.
If that is the case, I don't really feel like waiting the 7 years it takes for them to attack me just to get a parry in rather than attack them outright, even if it is less rewarding and fairly boring. I'll just wait a bit and play Bayonetta 2 where enemies actually attack you and you can freely attack/parry/dodge offset all utterly seamlessly in the thick of it with a camera that isn't shit and special moves that aren't wonky.. or I could go play Onimusha 2 since it's issen system was also better, or a number of other games.

How long are you in the game? The first actual boss should have taught you the proper way of using the parry move and it's absolutely not:

You also seem to be missing the point of slicing things. You seem to expect it to be an uber ninja move that gives you a score of SSSSSS for SSSAWWWSOOOME automatically, while in reality it's supposed to be specifically crafted for slicing critical points of the enemies while grabbing their heartwhatevers to get more energy while keeping up your combo AND killing the enemy faster.

There's another mode for your ultra cyborg kill move slice action and it totally isn't "the slo mo"
I know about that system you are talking about and I mentioned it specifically as a separate issue from the parry system. Maybe you should try paying attention when you read my posts before mocking me.

Nope, you can slash right through them all without having to parry.
lol yeah as long as the enemy died the tutorial is like "good! let's move on."

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If that is the case, I don't really feel like waiting the 7 years it takes for them to attack me just to get a parry in rather than attack them outright, even if it is less rewarding and fairly boring. I'll just wait a bit and play Bayonetta 2 where enemies actually attack you and you can freely attack/parry/dodge offset all utterly seamlessly in the thick of it with a camera that isn't shit and special moves that aren't wonky.. or I could go play Onimusha 2 since it's issen system was also better, or a number of other games.

I think the problem here is that you were expecting a combothon like Bayonetta or DMC when it's not that. MGR is more like Ninja Gaiden in it's intent even if it's not fully on that side either but being a sitting duck doesn't help either in the parrying mechanic you're supposed to do it while you're doing your combos since enemies aren't static with your every hit.

I know about that system you are talking about and I mentioned it specifically as a separate issue from the parry system. Maybe you should try paying attention when you read my posts before mocking me.
You could just attack them and then parry/dodge when they actually do attack. I can stand around for a while in Bayonetta trying to get a guy to attack me as well...
I think the problem here is that you were expecting a combothon like Bayonetta or DMC when it's not that. MGR is more like Ninja Gaiden in it's intent even if it's not fully on that side either.
Also this.

zkylon

zkylewd
damn dlc 3 of dark souls 2 is pretty beast

gonna be hard to choose a goty this year. dark souls 2 is undoubtedly the game i've spent the most time with but i've got so many complaints about it, i dunno what i'm gonna do

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ryse thread is dead so let me ask here, does SLI work in Ryse?

I might have to make the plunge on the Wii U this holiday. The Xbone and Ps4 are too much for my wallet.The MCC is gonna have to wait :( PC / Wii U combo sounds nicer and more budget friendly.

Dice

You could just attack them and then parry/dodge when they actually do attack. I can stand around for a while in Bayonetta trying to get a guy to attack me as well...
Then they just die unless they are gekko-level or above and nothing cool happens 80% of the time.

I think the problem here is that you were expecting a combothon like Bayonetta or DMC when it's not that. MGR is more like Ninja Gaiden in it's intent even if it's not fully on that side either but being a sitting duck doesn't help either in the parrying mechanic you're supposed to do it while you're doing your combos since enemies aren't static with your every hit.
The invitation to rank up gave me the impression they wanted you to completely badass-out like other action games. If I adjust my expectations to a different gameplay vision, that doesn't change the fact that the game design is not allowing me to be as flowing and creative as other action games, and will also never test me at the levels those other games do, so it feels flat to me compared to them. If that was the intention, then they had the intention of being mediocre.

Then they just die unless they are gekko-level or above and nothing cool happens 80% of the time.

The invitation to rank up gave me the impression they wanted you to completely badass-out like other action games. If I adjust my expectations to a different gameplay vision, that doesn't change the fact that the game design is not allowing me to be as flowing and creative as other action games, and will also never test me at the levels those other games do, so it feels flat to me compared to them. If that was the intention, then they had the intention of being mediocre.

Wow I told you to pick the Dice difficulty mode last night.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ryse thread is dead so let me ask here, does SLI work in Ryse?

Reportedly the Sleeping Dogs bits better than the Crysis 3 variants, oddly enough, but per-GPU usage isn't ideal. Nvidia has been egregiously slacking in the SLI profile department these past couple of months.

kudoboi

I might have to make the plunge on the Wii U this holiday. The Xbone and Ps4 are too much for my wallet.The MCC is gonna have to wait :( PC / Wii U combo sounds nicer and more budget friendly.

WII U is still to ex for me. its only $100 cheaper than an xbone or PS4 and those 2 systems are a lot more appealing to me exclusive games wise. id rather play games like TLOU, infamous, drive club, forza, sunset overdrive, halo etc than bayonetta, mario kart or super smash bros

It's really goddamn clear when you can zandatsu a guy out of a combo, but okay. Not to mention all of the low-level mooks can be zandatsu'd for a one-hit kill and spine rip at any time. You're entitled to your opinion though.

Dice

Wow I told you to pick the Dice difficulty mode last night.
That was before I made fun of it for making me read the manual in 2014. After I understood the gameplay systems it was still "meh" so maybe your advice is for the new issues as well.

Just gotta find that Dice mode. Do you unlock it with the Konami code?

It's really goddamn clear when you can zandatsu a guy out of a combo, but okay. Not to mention all of the low-level mooks can be zandatsu'd for a one-hit kill and spine rip at any time. You're entitled to your opinion though.
My problem is not killing guys. My problem is the fact it is one-hit kill like that. If you want to do anything cool and style on em it is incredibly wonky. This is what I mean by "high-level play," not just the fact of winning. I have no problem winning. I have a problem that winning in itself is hella boring and I'm trying to "open it up" like Platinum games (or several other notables in the genre) usually let me and it isn't happening. Watching him rip the spine out of people 500 times in a row with the lingering face cam gets old soooo fast. So does the mindless slashing of non-specials. Both kill excessively well, but not excessively cool.

I also did not like Metal Gear Rising. Gameplay was just boring as hell. Stopped somewhere in like the 3rd or 4th mission.
You are a cool breeze right now.

Anyway I don't want to get into a debate. You guys can like the game if you want. If my expectations were off and it's not a product for me, just take my rants as an expression of my discovery of that fact. It's not what I thought it was meant to be. That's all.

Damn, Planetside 2 is all crazy and awesome and pretty. I used the high preset and I mostly got 45-50 FPS with occasional dips. I don't really know what's going on objectives-wise but the scale of the action is great.

This might be the most modern PC game I've played by several years. I was mostly playing Quake Live before this.

WII U is still to ex for me. its only $100 cheaper than an xbone or PS4 and those 2 systems are a lot more appealing to me exclusive games wise. id rather play games like TLOU, infamous, drive club, forza, sunset overdrive, halo etc than bayonetta, mario kart or super smash bros

I hear you but Nintendo sells refurbished units on their website for $200 :) I never had a problem with refurbished tech.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just find it really hard to believe you couldn't grasp the parry mechanic seeing as the Moon of Maahaa-Kaalaa in Bayonetta and the Royal Guard style in DMC does the exact same thing unless you never used these things in either game at all at all.

I'm cool with you not liking the game though but I think you missed quite a bit of what the game was trying to teach you while going through it.

My problem is not killing guys. My problem is the fact it is one-hit kill like that. If you want to do anything cool and style on em it is incredibly wonky. This is what I mean by "high-level play," not just the fact of winning. I have no problem winning. I have a problem that winning in itself is hella boring and I'm trying to "open it up" like Platinum games (or several other notables in the genre) usually let me and it isn't happening. Watching him rip the spine out of people 500 times in a row with the lingering face cam gets old soooo fast. So does the mindless slashing of non-specials. Both kill excessively well, but not excessively cool.

Yeah this isn't that kind of game at all it's more like Ninja Gaiden where efficiency is rewarded and not style. It doesn't belong to the Stylish Action subsection like Bayonetta or DMC but you can cancel out of the finisher QTEs or any slow mo by tapping the blade mode button for a second to make it play more like one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiHUOYs-yU

zkylon

zkylewd
I never play any Xenoblade game before. A lot of people recommend it to me. But alas I don't have a Wii. But I would consider buying a Wii U for Chronicles if there is a nice bundle.

i'd say xenoblade is pretty crap for a game

like i can appreciate some of its parts (dat music) but a game so heavy on combat and exploration should have fun combat and exploration :I

it's a lot like ff12, pretty cool universe and scale and all that but it's just giant dungeons with nothing to do but fetch or kill n blobs quests and not much else

really disappointed me coming from xenosaga

ehhh

Anteater

I think the problem with playing efficiently in Rising is that if you exploit the blade mode it basically turned into a glorified QTE fest, because that's basically the nature of zandatsu, you stun/parry an enemy and trigger a blade mode sequence just as you would in something like god of war, even though it requires a little bit more precision and user input than pressing QTE buttons. I can see people not liking it because you're being pressured into playing a certain way as opposed to be creative with your tools like other action games.

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa in Bayonetta is exactly that and is also extremely helpful in Non-Stop Infinite Climax. :p
Well you can play through all of Bayo without using that, I know that since I did, but in Rising it's MUCH more integral to the game.
I'll probably use the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa in my WiiU playthrough of it though since I wanted to like Bayo1 but I played the PS3 version which is...Well, less than ideal.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well you can play through all of Bayo without using that, I know that since I did, but in Rising it's MUCH more integral to the game.
I'll probably use the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa in my WiiU playthrough of it though since I wanted to like Bayo1 but I played the PS3 version which is...Well, less than ideal.

Yeah definitely give it another shot on the Wii U. I remember switching from the PS3 to the 360 version and was suddenly getting perfect platinums because the framerate on the PS3 is actively making you worse.

Yeah definitely give it another shot on the Wii U. I remember switching from the PS3 to the 360 version and was suddenly getting perfect platinums because the framerate on the PS3 is actively making you worse.
I played the Bayo 2 demo a little earlier and oh boy, yeah Bayo at a high framerate, oh my goodness, so fantastic, I don't know what to play first Bayo 1 or Bayo 2 since Bayo 1 will feel like a brand new game with the improved FPS.

Anteater

I actually don't think The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is that well thought out, I didn't like that specific counter and while its "block" is useful to knock back enemies, it also reset your combo string (I think?) it'd be cool if it can be used with dodge offset, I use it on non stop climax but that's because I dislike having to dodge a lot when fighting gracious and glorious.

Although I played bayonetta on ps3 and on a tv with a lot of lag so I probably didn't really fully explore the parry option :( I know I use it a lot but it was rarely for its counter and it didn't seem like there's more to it.

Seems like a lotta people here played the inferior version as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I played the original on the X360 for about half an hour. That counts as a demo!

That's not Bayonetta 2! Also that means you never even got out of Vigid or gotten any new moves!

I didn't realize so many people outside of Japan played the PS3 version. x: I only played the PS3 version for few months because my first 360 was stolen.

Will my Evil Within cheevos unlock retroactively? I had been using the console beforehand instead of the config to run at 60.

edit: nvm just had to refresh my page, there they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom