• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hey now, I loved mgs 4 despite its flaws.
I really want to play that one. I'm currently forcing myself to play Portable Ops, but it's rather boring. Dragging enemies to the truck (or towards other teammates) gets old fast. And I don't like the art style used in the cutscenes, nor the fact that there's no voice acting during codec conversations.

Minamu

So Tomb Raider is 80% off in the EU, stupid question perhaps but is it the original version or the new updated one? Unsure if the console version even is available on pc :/

SparkTR

Wii U isn't bad, but I've gone months without touching mine. I finished the Bayonetta 2 demo a few times today, still not convinced I'm going to buy it. I got a bit over half way through the original before shelving it because I wasn't having much fun, and Bayonetta 2 just reminded me of that. I just can't get into character action games, which kind of makes me sad because there's nothing else coming to the Wii U that interests me much outside of Zelda.

Wii U isn't bad, but I've gone months without touching mine
I'm the same actually, WiiU is definitely a very nice secondary platform if you enjoy playing Nintendo's games, but thanks to lack of 3rd party support there's really not much else there if you aren't into the games Ninty is releasing, although Nintendo is releasing some "Nindies" soon, so that should be interesting.

Sendou

I'm the same actually, WiiU is definitely a very nice secondary platform if you enjoy playing Nintendo's games, but thanks to lack of 3rd party support there's really not much else there if you aren't into the games Ninty is releasing, although Nintendo is releasing some "Nindies" soon, so that should be interesting.

This is the Steam thread. Doubt people here have much interest in 3rd party support on consoles either way. Exclusive content is all that matters. Console as a primary platform is hard to recommend either way.

"Nindies" is just Nintendo's way of saying "indie developers on Nintendo platforms". Nintendo isn't known to make exclusive deal with indies like Sony for example.

Maniac

Banned
The androids in Alien:Iso are such godless killing machines. Emptied an entire revolver clip into this dudes head, plus his him with the jack...and he still managed to curb stomp me to death.
They really did a good job of making them horrifyingly soulless. So fake, yet so real and... Just outright creepy looking. Love 'em even when they bash my head in.

This is the Steam thread. Doubt people here have much interest in 3rd party support on consoles either way. Exclusive content is all that matters. Console as a primary platform is hard to recommend either way.

"Nindies" is just Nintendo's way of saying "indie developers on Nintendo platforms". Nintendo isn't known to make exclusive deal with indies like Sony for example.
I think people in the steam thread would care. A lot of people here talk about games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Tales Of, Atelier, etc which are all 3rd party games on consoles.

And for exclusive content, well, I'd just like more of it, since like I said, I go for months without even touching the WiiU.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wii U isn't bad, but I've gone months without touching mine. I finished the Bayonetta 2 demo a few times today, still not convinced I'm going to buy it. I got a bit over half way through the original before shelving it because I wasn't having much fun, and Bayonetta 2 just reminded me of that. I just can't get into character action games, which kind of makes me sad because there's nothing else coming to the Wii U that interests me much outside of Zelda.
Flipmode I play a level of Tropical Freeze, having a blast and trying to be really careful and observant and find everything, then at the end it says I missed 3 puzzle pieces and I smile so hard because my heart is filled with glee at those clever Retro bastards.

ViviOggi

I love the Working Joes so much, 15 hours in and they still scare the crap out of me.
Thank M-God for that, can't wait to see the end of console manufacturer meddling and forced exclusivity. Titles like Bayo 2 and fringe studios like P* are the rare exception nowadays, anything else are shoddy deals made to avoid competing with their actual products.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh man, I just realised that Binding of Isaac Rebirth is out in 20 days. GUYYYYYSSSSS. That game is going straight into my GOTY list.

Dr Dogg

Well this was a crazy catch up so to save doing an X05 or Binary Pork uber quote post I'll just plonk theses down.

Everyone should buy a WiiU. That's buy not use a confectionery based promotion.

I'd actually like to see Divinity played with an old Quickshot 2 Joystick

If you are using an Nvida GPU and a HDMI connection your colour range settings will be fucked unless you've reg edited them or used Durante's tool.

HDMI 1.3 has less bandwidth than Dual Link DVI or DisplayPort 1.3 so downsampling or rasing the refresh rate doesn't play as nice on some monitors/TVs

A lot of monitor manufacturers are cheaping out these days and DVI (possibly due to not getting a spec update in years) is slowly getting dropped for cheaper alternatives like HDMI only or DisplayPort only. More expensive or professional monitors do have more options but too many people neglect their monitors. Also there's the above Nvidia issue.

$200 worth of chocolate bars might see boggling in one regard but that's got to weight an awful lot. Doing some rough maths looking at the price per gram in a few popular brands here would come in at 12.5kg or roughly 27.5lb.

derExperte

Samsung 840 EVO bugfix is up.

Only for Windows, the rest will get tools at the end of October. I have no idea what's happening with the nonEVO which exhibits the same issue (not PRO, those aren't affected), looks like no fix yet.

Download the Samsung Performance Restoration here, unzip and run the .exe: http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...Samsung_SSD840EVO_Performance_Restoration.zip

No data will be lost but I'd still backup important stuff and read up on what will happen during the restoration: http://techreport.com/review/27212/samsung-840-evo-update-fixes-slow-reads-with-old-data http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...-Tool-preview-Getting-EVOs-back-speed/Update-

derExperte

New page and since it's important (I'll make a separate thread later)....

Only for Windows, the rest will get tools at the end of October. I have no idea what's happening with the nonEVO which exhibits the same issue (not PRO, those aren't affected), looks like no fix yet.

Download the Samsung Performance Restoration here, unzip and run the .exe: http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...Samsung_SSD840EVO_Performance_Restoration.zip

No data will be lost but I'd still backup important stuff and read up on what will happen during the restoration: http://techreport.com/review/27212/samsung-840-evo-update-fixes-slow-reads-with-old-data http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...-Tool-preview-Getting-EVOs-back-speed/Update-

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes it's more important to support the games than to play them right away. Good work :)
What are you talking about, who the hell buys games and never plays them?

Oh right, Steam thread :p

EDIT: I tried the Wii U twice, because a friend owns it. I had fun playing with 3 or 4 other guys, but it didn't impress me at all. Of course, that was over a year ago, and we only played Nintyland and Old New Super Mario Bros. U (which was fun, and provided with a lot of entertainment thanks to all the evil possibilities the gamepad allows). Also got to try the ZombiU demo, which I didn't care for, and CoD Blops 2 (this is CoD, so it was fun in split-screen but nothing to buy the console for).

I'd love to try Wind Waker HD (my favorite Zelda game, with me not being a fan of the franchise), Super Mario 3D World and the Platinum titles (liked Metal Gear Rising a lot, so it'd be nice to play more stuff from these guys -even though I thought MadWorld was repetitive and became boring quickly), but that doesn't seem enough to convince me to buy a Wii U. It'd probably take a new Paper Mario or Metroid Prime Trilogy HD to do it.

Dr Dogg

Well true to their word at least (well for EVO owners). Cheers for posting.

Sendou

I think people in the steam thread would care. A lot of people here talk about games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Tales Of, Atelier, etc which are all 3rd party games on consoles.

And for exclusive content, well, I'd just like more of it, since like I said, I go for months without even touching the WiiU.

I guess that's where our viewpoints differ. I'd rather have those games on PC than Wii U. Looks like this generation has already started in a way that indicates that notable 3rd party releases only on consoles are going to be way more rare than they were during last generation. Thank gods for that.

I'm not as bothered by the lack of games on Wii U. I'll probably just buy Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and SSB4 this year for Wii U but when all of those land in my personal top 5 games of the year it's hard to feel too bothered. Of course next year looks pretty insane as far as Wii U is considered. Captain Toad, Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Splatoon, Xenoblades Chronicles X, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda and Mario Maker. Of course I realize that some people are more picky about the genres they play and that's fine. If you're like that it just seems unlikely to me that any console that was released post-2010 is going to satisfy you if you're looking for exclusive games each month or whatever.

Asskicker

I have one of those but I haven't really noticed anything. But I guess I better apply the fix!

Thanks for this, I would never have known otherwise. :)

I have a lot of Wii U games to buy yet (Super Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze...) but I'm leaving it all behind to get Bayonetta 2 on its release date.

I NEED THIS GAME. Also, please Nintendo, don't release it only one month late in Brazil.

dex3108

Good morning SteamGAF my day started really nice XD I went with my family to our peace of land outside of city to clean it from bushes etc. Then it started to rain like hell then our neighbour came to ask us for help his tractor stucked in the mud. I was up to my knees in the mud while it was raining like hell pushing that tractor. Also there was thunder and lightning and there wasn't anything high around us. And after that while i was wet to my bones i was in the car driving home for 30 minutes. :D

Just say me that i missed some awesome deal to cheer me up XD

I guess that's where our viewpoints differ. I'd rather have those games on PC than Wii U. Looks like this generation has already started in a way that indicates that notable 3rd party releases only on consoles are going to be way more rare than they were during last generation. Thank gods for that.

I'm not as bothered by the lack of games on Wii U. I'll probably just buy Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and SSB4 this year for Wii U but when all of those land in my personal top 5 games of the year it's hard to feel too bothered. Of course next year looks pretty insane as far as Wii U is considered. Captain Toad, Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Splatoon, Xenoblades Chronicles X, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda and Mario Maker. Of course I realize that some people are more picky about the genres they play and that's fine. If you're like that it just seems unlikely to me that any console that was released post-2010 is going to satisfy you if you're looking for exclusive games each month or whatever.
Ideally I'd like all 3rd party games to be on all platforms so everyone can play all the games, and I suppose it is mostly a taste thing, like I said before if you don't like what Nintendo is putting out there's not much else, personally I'm getting Bayo 2 and maybe Hyrule Warriors, and next year I'm only planning to pick up Xenoblade Chronicles X and perhaps Splatoon(depends on the SP content) and because of that, it's why I say it's a nice secondary console and I agree with everyone else in this thread that PC + WiiU is probably the best combo.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I finished the game but I'm not entirely sure I enjoyed it. If Konami ever greenlights a PC port, I'll give it another shot, but that being said I am looking forward to giving GZ a whirl.
Its lows were low and its high we her high. I enjoyed the beginning, the combat AI. It presented more gameplay and atmosphere than most mg games. I enjoyed the later half day mission and return to lavels past. I really liked the 'history if boss fights' it presented.

The level design was awesome. The decay if old levels the microwave oven, the stealth etc.

I didn't get the plodding plot, the need to tie everything in convoluted ends, the grotesque anime bosses and nominal kojima nonsense. I get that the production was a mess, but I did enjoy it for the brief moments of perfection.

Milamber

But seriously, give me MAXIS's Sim Farm in first person, where I can manage employees and crop rotations with realistic markets and skill tree progression and levels for everything and you got the perfect Farm Management game.

A little family planning sim in it also wouldn't hurt.

Thanks a lot for the heads up! Had no idea about this. I'll have to check when I started using mine, but it should be getting to the 30days mark soon!

Free Alien vs Predator 2000 if you sign up to join the beta test of GOG Galaxy

http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Thanks! I have the sneaking suspicion that I've been registered for the beta since they announced galaxy and that witcher spin-off in E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom