• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

I kinda hate getting foils card drops because it's so annoying to sell them for anything but a couple cents more than a normal card. It's kinda silly because it's still more than a normal card but screw you, I'm not selling it for that cheap random buy order person.

Turfster

I hate you now, I swear.

I've never played Halo before (inb4 omgwtfusrsbro). I've been with Sony up until this generation (made the witch to PC) so I've never gotten the chance to try the games out and I'm dying to play them.

You're... not really missing all that much.

I've only played to Chapter 5 of TEW, but I have to say it's the most tense I've been in a game since Dead Space or RE4.

Chapter
Was intense as hell.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
New page and since it's important (I'll make a separate thread later)....

Samsung 840 EVO bugfix is up.

Only for Windows, the rest will get tools at the end of October. I have no idea what's happening with the nonEVO which exhibits the same issue (not PRO, those aren't affected), looks like no fix yet.

Download the Samsung Performance Restoration here, unzip and run the .exe: http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...Samsung_SSD840EVO_Performance_Restoration.zip

No data will be lost but I'd still backup important stuff and read up on what will happen during the restoration: http://techreport.com/review/27212/samsung-840-evo-update-fixes-slow-reads-with-old-data http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...-Tool-preview-Getting-EVOs-back-speed/Update-

You are awesome. Thanks for posting this!

So, TEW looks more like a mix of
The Last of Us + Silent Hill (the more recent ones)
. What's up with all the RE4 killer comments in the OT?
The weapons only have a single make per, and the upgrade system is fairly bare bones. The game simply doesn't appear to be focused on shooting.

GAF hype can be so misleading, yes? Or will those who've finished it disagree?

I'm at Chapter 10 atm so I don't know if I'm fairly advanced in the game or not but the comparison to RE4 doesn't make a lot of sense, RE4 is a third person shooter (and probably the best one in my opinion). Closest thing gameplay wise would be TLOU indeed while the atmosphere is close to Silent Hill or Jacob's Ladder. Personally I'm having a lot more fun in TEW than in TLOU (I personally think it's a better game than TLOU, then again that game didn't leave a long lasting impression on me to say the least) but less than in RE4 (if you can even compare an "amount" of fun between games).

Anteater

Hope that new halo game has coop, I didn't really dislike the spartan assault, but I'm not too motivated to play it for some reason, coop would probably help.

Quick, SteamGAF, riddle me this.

Halo Master Chief Collection or Uncharted collection comes out on PC.
Locked to 720p, no graphical options.
Terribly optimized, struggling to hit 30fps on top of the line hardware.
Esc quits the game with no confirmation.

How much of a shitstorm we would have on our hands?
Locked 720p and 30 fps is kind of impossible with a hypothetical PC Master Chief Collection, considering every game but the remade Halo 2 runs at 1080p / 60 fps on X-bone already. Further graphical options would be a different matter.

Li Kao

Hmm, just read the little exchange here a few pages ago (aka an eternity) about monitors, DVI and HDMI. Reminded me how I would love to be able to plug a console on mine but the fucker as the most horrendous sound speakers I ever heard. Maybe I could find a way to put the image on the monitor and make the sound output on another machine. But I tried that and mixing a PC setup with an AV receiver felt like a frankenstein experience at the time. Would be cool to be able to make the console sound be processed by my little 2.1 PC setup.

Kiru

New page and since it's important (I'll make a separate thread later)....

Samsung 840 EVO bugfix is up.

Only for Windows, the rest will get tools at the end of October. I have no idea what's happening with the nonEVO which exhibits the same issue (not PRO, those aren't affected), looks like no fix yet.

Download the Samsung Performance Restoration here, unzip and run the .exe: http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...Samsung_SSD840EVO_Performance_Restoration.zip

No data will be lost but I'd still backup important stuff and read up on what will happen during the restoration: http://techreport.com/review/27212/samsung-840-evo-update-fixes-slow-reads-with-old-data http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...-Tool-preview-Getting-EVOs-back-speed/Update-
Man those last 20% take some long ass time. Thanks for reminding me about the fix.

MadGear

You know, i don't often say that i hate someone ... but i hate you, from the bottom of my once peaceful heart which you made skip a beat before it withered with hatred ;)

But honestly, thats somewhat sad. Even though i really love to play twin stick shooters with a friend I really couldn't enjoy Spartan Assault at all. I personally thought that W40k Kill team was somewhat disappointing, but compared to Spartan Assault that game was pure gold. It was also actually the only game/app i got from that Windows 8 store because i had some promotional budget from my Xbox 360 that was about to expire.
But oh well, maybe they'll get it right this time. After all 343 fucked up Halo 4 as well and now seems to be on a path to actually deliver a good game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Woody Invincible, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mysterious Cities of Gold -- MB-E1B2706405290196 - Taken by Sendou. 4 entrants total.
The Howler -- MB-F9B3EAAB00E99344 - Taken by swx. 3 entrants total.

t1413389227z1.png

The new Halo Spartan game being $6 seems like a day-one for me. Odd that it's not on Xbox One / 360, just Steam, if that thread has the whole story?

I hope there's some good story bits in this one. I started reading the Halo novels a year or two ago and have read all 13 or so now and can't wait for the next one.

Turfster

Hmm, just read the little exchange here a few pages ago (aka an eternity) about monitors, DVI and HDMI. Reminded me how I would love to be able to plug a console on mine but the fucker as the most horrendous sound speakers I ever heard. Maybe I could find a way to put the image on the monitor and make the sound output on another machine. But I tried that and mixing a PC setup with an AV receiver felt like a frankenstein experience at the time. Would be cool to be able to make the console sound be processed by my little 2.1 PC setup.
PS3 and 360 both support sending audio out over another output while using HDMI (360 only if you break open the supplied component cable casing since MS wants to sell you their 1000$ thinner "converter"), so it's just a question of what your 2.1 setup has free input-wise ;)

People playing The Evil Within:

Have you turned the grain off?
If not fully off, what level are you comfortable with it at?

You're a cruel person. Just wanted to let you know that. You are fired as a messenger, so bring Turf back as he brings good news on a constant basis.

Uh, no.
This is great news. If it's anything like Spartan Assault, it might be the 2nd Halo game worth owning...

Li Kao

PS3 and 360 both support sending audio out over another output while using HDMI (360 only if you break open the supplied component cable casing since MS wants to sell you their 1000$ thinner "converter"), so it's just a question of what your 2.1 setup has free input-wise ;)

Interesting, I'm not sure my shitty Hercules 2.1 PC kit has anything to offer input wise but I could see me looking into that. Won't have the fund to buy a shiny HDTV for some months and I don't want to steal the TV from my parents anymore.
Mmh, what is that "Line In" slot I see here... Hmm, my "in over my head sense is tingling".

Miguel81

People playing The Evil Within:

Have you turned the grain off?
If not fully off, what level are you comfortable with it at?

Uh, no.
This is great news. If it's anything like Spartan Assault, it might be the 2nd Halo game worth owning...

It's great news masked in disappointment :(

It's like "Here is brand new car, sorry I ran over your dog with it".

Turfster

Interesting, I'm not sure my shitty Hercules 2.1 PC kit has anything to offer input wise but I could see me looking into that. Won't have the fund to buy a shiny HDTV for some months and I don't want to steal the TV from my parents anymore.
Mmh, what is that "Line In" slot I see here... Hmm, my "in over my head sense is tingling".

Is it a single "headphone" plug? (it probably is)
If so, you'll probably need a stereo "tulip" to single jack cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom