• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl@de

Black bars are completely removable on the PC version and 21:9 support is in the game. .

I would be careful with that comment. Knowing Wolfenstein TNO where you had to enter the console command for AA/AF everytime a new area loaded ... it's possible that black bars will appear after every loading time.

Because he said you can disable it via console. Not in the options menu. Of course ... maybe they patch it in, mods or something can happen

Aaron D.

Happy birthday, jshackles! Thanks for all you do.

It's great to hear you have a positive, bounce-back attitude after a tough year.

I went through similar circumstances (+ a divorce!) 20 years ago and against all thoughts to the contrary, I did a complete turnaround and am now happier than I've ever been.

Keep on truckin'!

Well GAF, today's my birthday and I'm a whole year older now.

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Happy Birthday dude.

Hope next year treats you better!

Ban Puncher

I've made a startling discovery.

Playing actual video games = Less time spent on GAF

I might have to change my name from Man Puncher to Man of Science.

As much as it's nice that everyone is still excited for The Evil Within a fair few of my doubts still remain and don't look like they're going to be answered properly until general release. Texture streaming looks awful, more so than any idTech 5 game before and on par with the early days of Unreal Engine 3. Also seeing as Tango have made modification to the engine, namely a 30hz refresh on consoles, I'm curious how that translates to the PC version. More troublesome might actually be the aspect ratio Tango have gone with. Seeing as it's faked 2.35:1 with letterboxed bars top and bottom for 16:9 resolutions I'm curious to know if it's going to be truly renders at a 21:9 resolution of if that will end up windowboxed instead. These's things are all great when you're targeting a fixed spec like a console but when you have something a flexible as a PC I'm wondering how much is going to be configurable by the end user or how much has been locked down by the developers.

honestly my worries are more focused towards gameplay than anything else
even if mikami is behind the game most aaa games nowadays end up being shallow, RE4 isn't the most mechanically complex game but it does every single thing it set out to do right

on top of that every other thing that is symptomatic of aaa games like "cinematic experiences", forced slow walking segments, no exploration, too many scripted events and so on

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I've made a startling discovery.

Playing actual video games = Less time spent on GAF

I might have to change my name from Man Puncher to Man of Science.

how could you?!? you know very well that playing actual video games is frowned upon here!! shame on you!!

Ban Puncher

Even more scandalous, I am playing TWO GAMES AT ALTERNATIVE INTERVALS. I've never been able to focus on more than one game at a time.

What sorcery is this?

rtcn63

Even more scandalous, I am playing TWO GAMES AT ALTERNATIVE INTERVALS. I've never been able to focus on more than one game at a time.

What sorcery is this?

2-023.gif

Turfster

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Happy birthday.
We're happy you're here with us too, you're a great guy ;)

Aaron D.

So guys, who's pre-ordering Farming Simulator 2015 collectors edition?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81fif-7fo%2BL._SL1453_.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gA3JpRN.jpg

Just the standard edition for me.

But that keychain does look pretty sweet.

Grief.exe

Ah it's okay my good man, you never let me down. It's seems indeed to be a time sink, but a good one, choosing my skills from the start was the most hard part for me, I can't wait to invest more time in the game and to learn more about my choices, improving my skills, etc. Either way, hope you can give it a try later on, when time can be more kind to you.

All the impressions seem to be so positive as well. It's killing me that I don't have the time to devote to it, hopefully after this round of tests.

We've had some huge Kickstarter successes this year, from Shovel Knight, Divinity, and Wasteland all releasing to huge acclaim.

Blablurn

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

Happy B-Day!

Davision

Neo Member
If you are curious about the Last Knight: Rogue Rider Edition release here is the low poly stylized launch trailer which is also the intro of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoBhmJC8iQE
And here the trailer with gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhBR_X7YbA

I have also posted quite a lot of work in progress of it in the Indie Game Dev thread here so you might already stumbled over something there. It is a very arcade-ish jousting action platformer. I personally like to compare it to Crash Bandicoot with a lot of twists while most probably end up shoveling it into the endless runner corner. The endless mode however is only one part of the game, the story mode with actual levels is the game mode players are suggested to start with and the Rogue Rider Adventure mode is the new hardcore mode with RPG elements and a whole generated world where players can choose where to go.

Ban Puncher

To celebrate birthdays and my amazing discovery that will impact all of mankind, here are some games everyone already has. CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cubemen 2 -- MB-DBF5B652C989EE81 - Taken by Haunted
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-9566DA8AE48EB71D - Taken by abracadaver
Cubemen -- MB-7D4D90B63EE648FE - Taken by Benedict
Bridge Constructor Playground -- MB-E7575AEAF95C2A4F - Taken by Deques

Miguel81

Happy Birthday, Jshackles! May your day be great, and thank you very much for all your hard work to make our Steam user experience that much better.

Saty

Valve counts down the following 10 bestselling games for last week on their Steam service:

1.Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
2.Valve Complete Pack
3.Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
4.Life is Feudal
5.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
6.Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
7.Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition
8.DayZ
9.Starpoint Gemini 2
10.Payday 2 Hotline Miami DLC
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/155523/steam-top-10

Dat Complete Pack. What was the discount price? Just to humor myself that it sold x2 or more copies than Borderlands.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! I already know that it's going to be a great year.

Also this happened:

Queso you bastard
thanks man! <3
I know what I'm doing this afternoon!

Knurek

Happy birthday Enchanted JShackles.

He who punches men, I was like you when I was younger, able to play only one game at a time. Now that I've grown old and weary, I can juggle two and maybe even three.
With age comes greater power to waste your time on unnecessary frivolities.

Tizoc

If you are curious about the Last Knight: Rogue Rider Edition release here is the low poly stylized launch trailer which is also the intro of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoBhmJC8iQE
And here the trailer with gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhBR_X7YbA

I have also posted quite a lot of work in progress of it in the Indie Game Dev thread here so you might already stumbled over something there. It is a very arcade-ish jousting action platformer. I personally like to compare it to Crash Bandicoot with a lot of twists while most probably end up shoveling it into the endless runner corner. The endless mode however is only one part of the game, the story mode with actual levels is the game mode players are suggested to start with and the Rogue Rider Adventure mode is the new hardcore mode with RPG elements and a whole generated world where players can choose where to go.
Got it off gmg some hours ago.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Happy birthday, have a good one! :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Happy berfday.

Just finished Beyond Gravity and unlocked all achievements. Whew, I put almost 3 hours into this game

Sorry to hear that. ;)

happy birthday sir :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Anyone seen this Hotline Kavkaz?
It's pretty much a Hotline Miami ripoff.

I wonder what Devolver will do if this gets Greenlit

I love what the comment on the greenlight page says.

The game may seem like a rip off, and it may be was on the early stages of development, but the developers changed a lot of the gameplay since then. So even if it looks like a bad Hotline game, it doesn't play like one.

It's not a ripoff honest, it just looks like one and uses the same thematics, and visual style, and half of the name. I imagine a takedown notice will be filed asap.
Lol, inb4 Devolver publishes it.

Now that would be hilarious.

Ban Puncher

Happy birthday Enchanted JShackles.

He who punches men, I was like you when I was younger, able to play only one game at a time. Now that I've grown old and weary, I can juggle two and maybe even three.
With age comes greater power to waste your time on unnecessary frivolities.

What's that, sonny? You'll have to speak into my comically oversized novelty horn that I have held up to my ear.

Li Kao

Hey, a happy birthday to you JShackles ! I wish you and your family the best.

Dr Dogg

Happy B'day dude. I don't think you need to have a specific time of year to reflect on ones position in life. And there's never a bad time to appreciate those who support and are around you from immediate family to distant acquaintances. I really need to pull my finger out though as I was up to about 20 games finished by the end of February and I'm about only 30 done now. I think I'm going to have to rein in my spending next year (yeah because I don't say that every other bloody year either).

I believe it's window boxed because they said that they would have a 16:9 mode on PC and that probably means just removing the black bars (so same hfov) rather than a normal 21:9 to 16:9 switch.

I know Rage had issues (though before my time of 2.35:1 experimentation and enjoyment) but Wolfenstien: TNO worked pretty well out the box.

Granted all the UI elements are still fixed to their 16:9 positions and prerendered cutscenes get stretched to the edges of the screen but that's still better support than quite a lot of games today. I'm just curious seeing as this was never the intended way to play the game as subtitles and some button prompts appear in the lower section of the screen. I wonder how that would transfer when rendered at a correct 2.35:1 resolution. Guess we'll just have to wait until release.

One of the Bethesda Community managers took to the forums to ease our doubts on some of these issues.

Black bars are completely removable on the PC version and 21:9 support is in the game. The community manager warned that Mikami wanted the game to be played with the black bar to increase the tension, but we all know why they are there...

I don't know why, but I've always assumed frame rate wouldn't be an issue.

Hahaha what the same community managers that said you should plan to have 4gb of VRAM and you need an i7 as a minimum for the CPU? Not knocking the info but I'd rather have it from an engineer from Tango than a community manager passing on second hand information. Be interesting to see if the game is actually rendered at 1920x1080 with occluded segments or if it's actually rendered at 1920x810 (or there abouts) with elements like subtitles and button prompts residing outside the rendering window.

Here's the real kicker thought, this is a cross gen game but every instance of an idTech 5 powered game ran at 60hz regardless of platform. Is the fact it's now ruining on both generations of consoles at 30hz a performance consideration or a stylistic choice? Has anyone (even a community manager) confirmed the game is running at 60hz on PC?

Hope for the worst and then you won't be disappointed but I'm erring on the far side of caution with this one. Hope to be wrong though (in some weird paradoxical, hypocritical kind of way :p).

honestly my worries are more focused towards gameplay than anything else
even if mikami is behind the game most aaa games nowadays end up being shallow, RE4 isn't the most mechanically complex game but it does every single thing it set out to do right

on top of that every other thing that is symptomatic of aaa games like "cinematic experiences", forced slow walking segments, no exploration, too many scripted events and so on

It's a bit of a weird one as everyone who has posted impressions here has said so moreover positive things but from the bits and bobs I've seen it looks a little rough around the edges on the gameplay front. Granted way too hard to tell how something feels without having the controls in your own hands but outside of that pacing might be a bit of a concern for me.

For me I think it would be unfair to judge The Evil Within against RE4 as even on the surface they appear to be quite different. Though the upgrade and XP system has me both intrigued in good and bad ways. Still half the thread have it preordered so I'm sure there won't be a shortage of impressions out there.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Happy birthday!

So my takeaway from this post is that people want to see Leon naked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom