• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Happy birthday shackles!

Sims 4 is such a huge time sink. I should just build another pc so my brother can stop using mine.

Annubis

Sunrider (free) got a huge expansion (free) a couple of days ago called Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius.
The update is about a gig on a game that wasn't even a gig initially.
Seems like a major upgrade.

I haven't tried the game yet, but now sounds like a good time to.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Heh. Just met my first "hacker" in Dark Souls 2.

Was in the Belfry and he repeatedly kept appearing behind me for a backstab attempt. He was on the complete other side of the level at times.

Plus one time he swung at me from about 50ft away and took half my health lol.

Porcupine

https://twitter.com/sleepingdogs/status/517974908065046528

Wat, why can you still play sleeping dogs uncut in the regular version though ? They can't really justify the "prohibitrunincountries" tag they applied for the DE...

The sad thing about it is, that it just isn't true that the game is "banned" in Germany. There are just 18 games which are truly banned, which means it is illegal to sell the uncut version of the game in Germany: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Beschlagnahmtes_Computerspiel

Every other game, that isn't on the list is perfectly legal and can be sold and bought in Germany.
The only thing which isn't allowed is to advertise those game and if you want to buy it in a shop they can't sell it like other games. They need to lock it in some room, you have to ask for the game and then you can buy it.
Also there is not a single law in Germany which says, that it is illegal to play those games. It is also not illegal to play one of the 18 games mentioned above.

EDIT: Also it is perfectly legal to buy one of those 18 games in another country and to bring it with me to Germany. Only thing I can't do is to sell this game or to show it to people under 18.

Nzyme32

Well GAF, today's my birthday and I'm a whole year older now.

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Happy birthday and all the best for the upcoming year!

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Have an Enhanced Birthday!

So, everyone and their dog are talking about Korra... Is this something like an American version of Juuni Kokki?

Sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was an American made cartoon with anime influences. Korra is slightly less for young audiences, but still in that ballpark. They're both quality shows though, with fantastic animation, especially in the action scenes of the new series.

MayMay

Banned

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

Happy Birthday!

Jadax

Sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was an American made cartoon with anime influences. Korra is slightly less for young audiences, but still in that ballpark. They're both quality shows though, with fantastic animation, especially in the action scenes of the new series.

Still nothing compared to good anime like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Great Teacher Onizuka or Death Note. I find 'American' animes to be completely different from proper Japanese anime.

Don't hate - just my personal opinion.

Goddammit Dusk Golem, Silence Of The Sleep is really

image.png

Up to chapter 2, pretty spooky so far

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A better game? Maybe
A better horror game? Hard to believe.
I can't find games where I can blast heads off of some monsterman that scary tbh.

As much as it's nice that everyone is still excited for The Evil Within a fair few of my doubts still remain and don't look like they're going to be answered properly until general release. Texture streaming looks awful, more so than any idTech 5 game before and on par with the early days of Unreal Engine 3. Also seeing as Tango have made modification to the engine, namely a 30hz refresh on consoles, I'm curious how that translates to the PC version. More troublesome might actually be the aspect ratio Tango have gone with. Seeing as it's faked 2.35:1 with letterboxed bars top and bottom for 16:9 resolutions I'm curious to know if it's going to be truly renders at a 21:9 resolution of if that will end up windowboxed instead. These's things are all great when you're targeting a fixed spec like a console but when you have something a flexible as a PC I'm wondering how much is going to be configurable by the end user or how much has been locked down by the developers.

honestly my worries are more focused towards gameplay than anything else
even if mikami is behind the game most aaa games nowadays end up being shallow, RE4 isn't the most mechanically complex game but it does every single thing it set out to do right

on top of that every other thing that is symptomatic of aaa games like "cinematic experiences", forced slow walking segments, no exploration, too many scripted events and so on

Somebody who has played The Evil Within extensively coming here to answer some questions!

Scariness is subjective, but I think the game is more unnerving than some are expecting. A big part of this is because of the following aspects:

01.) Evil Within has fantastic sound design from the area I've played. The music is very down-toned and more blends in with everything else, and mostly it is natural sounds of the environment. There is very good use of 3D sound space, by which I mean you may hear a sound from a distance, but at a distance it is echo-y, dissonant, and distorted that slowly comes more into focus and louder the closer to the source you get. Some sounds are there just as ambiance, some are a clue, others are less than desirable. But the sound design in the game has impressed me, most impressive I've seen in a horror game since Among the Sleep, and adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

02.) Having the world suddenly change, legitimately unnerving music begin playing, and know that a slow-approaching stalker you can't kill is after you and you may not even know where he is immediately because he virtually makes no noise is legitimately nerve-wrecking, and he literally can appear at any time (even in the middle of fighting other enemies, doing a puzzle). He can appear anywhere, at anytime, and has a bad habit of bursting through doors.

03.) Speaking of randomization, the game has randomization elements when whether enemies will be there or not. If you die, or are playing through a segment again, a room that might of previously been safe suddenly is loaded with baddies, or one that was previously loaded will be safe, or there will be a different assortment of enemies, or more, or less than before. It does a good job to keep you on your toes.

04.) Surreal what-the-fuckitry where you see something so bizarre that it takes a bit to register what it is you're looking at, added with elements of surrealism and the unexpected.

05.) The game tackles a lot of different areas of horror, part of why I think it'll be scary for people is because you don't know what the game will do next.

06.) The game is also very challenging, someone said the horror is dampened if you can headshot enemies, I would argue that didn't dampen the effect of REmake at all, and headshots are very challenging to get here. Enemies will also reanimate and come back alive after you've killed them as long as you don't burn the body, shoot the head completely off, or stealth kill them. Enemies themselves are unnerving, the main enemies remind me of a mix between the Shibito from Forbidden Siren and Ganados from RE4, but a lot more intelligent and menacing. They don't move like people though, they move are strange, fidgety, and erratic.

---

Now to other things.

Game has a 21:9 mode for 21:9 monitors.

Texture load only happens upon initial load in the demo, and takes about 2-3 seconds when first arriving in a new area. I did not see any other texture pop-in or loading when playing the game outside of that initial 2-3 seconds at the very start. Cleverly blend this in with a gameplay mechanic, as the game starts blurry as the textures are loading in as if your character and camera are coming into focus, and gets clearer and more focused once all the textures have popped in.

On PC, been confirmed you can play 16:9 without borders, but game was designed around it, so advise to play with it on. It's to make the player look around more and be cautious of what's below and above them, as without the bars some traps would be too easy to initially see.

Trust me, gameplay being shallow is one of the last things you need to worry about with Evil Within. I was really impressed with all the mechanic depth there was in the demo of Evil Within, there's a lot of hidden gameplay depth that becomes evident as you're playing.

Happy birthday jshackles! Good to have you here. Hope you have an enhanced day! :)

Happy birthday jshackles!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

<3

Happy birthday Jshackles! Keep on making Steam a better place, please. But not today, take the day off and make sure you enjoy it as much as you can!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
On PC, been confirmed you can play 16:9 without borders, but game was designed around it, so advise to play with it on. It's to make the player look around more and be cautious of what's below and above them, as without the bars some traps would be too easy to initially see.

yeeeeeeeeah...no.

Technically, yes.
I'm afraid most people think it's great because OMG YOU CAN KILL DUDES AND BLOOD GOES EVERYWHERE.

It wouldn't be the first time that satirical games become popular for the very things they were satirizing. Games like "Achievement Unlocked" and "Upgrade Complete" got huge just because you COULD unlock and upgrade all sorts of things.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Anyone seen this Hotline Kavkaz?
It's pretty much a Hotline Miami ripoff.

I wonder what Devolver will do if this gets Greenlit

The point is simple, the main character - Shamil, an accident, but it makes a "mysterious stranger", Shamil will have not enough work to pay debt. [...] But do not forget to protect nearby objects, since to die in this game will be a long, very much
That sounds intriguing

Anteater

I bet some of you wish you were me, where I get easily spooked out by fps games with just a slightly dark gritty theme. I never run out of survival horrors to play.

That's right I find bioshock scary

Sendou

I bet some of you wish you were me, where I get easily spooked out by fps games with just a slightly dark gritty theme. I never run out of survival horrors to play.

That's right I find bioshock scary

Alan Wake is about as much as I can handle personally.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Steam Overlay in Shadow of Mordor? Doesn't seem to work for me, which is a bit of an issue, other games don't seem to have that issue for me.

Still nothing compared to good anime like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Great Teacher Onizuka or Death Note. I find 'American' animes to be completely different from proper Japanese anime.

Don't hate - just my personal opinion.

I personally really like Korra, though Samurai Champloo is my favorite anime, actually.

Kiru

Oh. Happy Birthday jshackles! Glad to have you here on GAF. :)

Grief.exe

Somebody who has played The Evil Within extensively coming here to answer some questions!

Scariness is subjective, but I think the game is more unnerving than some are expecting. A big part of this is because of the following aspects:

01.) Evil Within has fantastic sound design from the area I've played. The music is very down-toned and more blends in with everything else, and mostly it is natural sounds of the environment. There is very good use of 3D sound space, by which I mean you may hear a sound from a distance, but at a distance it is echo-y, dissonant, and distorted that slowly comes more into focus and louder the closer to the source you get. Some sounds are there just as ambiance, some are a clue, others are less than desirable. But the sound design in the game has impressed me, most impressive I've seen in a horror game since Among the Sleep, and adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

02.) Having the world suddenly change, legitimately unnerving music begin playing, and know that a slow-approaching stalker you can't kill is after you and you may not even know where he is immediately because he virtually makes no noise is legitimately nerve-wrecking, and he literally can appear at any time (even in the middle of fighting other enemies, doing a puzzle). He can appear anywhere, at anytime, and has a bad habit of bursting through doors.

03.) Speaking of randomization, the game has randomization elements when whether enemies will be there or not. If you die, or are playing through a segment again, a room that might of previously been safe suddenly is loaded with baddies, or one that was previously loaded will be safe, or there will be a different assortment of enemies, or more, or less than before. It does a good job to keep you on your toes.

04.) Surreal what-the-fuckitry where you see something so bizarre that it takes a bit to register what it is you're looking at, added with elements of surrealism and the unexpected.

05.) The game tackles a lot of different areas of horror, part of why I think it'll be scary for people is because you don't know what the game will do next.

06.) The game is also very challenging, someone said the horror is dampened if you can headshot enemies, I would argue that didn't dampen the effect of REmake at all, and headshots are very challenging to get here. Enemies will also reanimate and come back alive after you've killed them as long as you don't burn the body, shoot the head completely off, or stealth kill them. Enemies themselves are unnerving, the main enemies remind me of a mix between the Shibito from Forbidden Siren and Ganados from RE4, but a lot more intelligent and menacing. They don't move like people though, they move are strange, fidgety, and erratic.

---

Now to other things.

Game has a 21:9 mode for 21:9 monitors.

Texture load only happens upon initial load in the demo, and takes about 2-3 seconds when first arriving in a new area. I did not see any other texture pop-in or loading when playing the game outside of that initial 2-3 seconds at the very start. Cleverly blend this in with a gameplay mechanic, as the game starts blurry as the textures are loading in as if your character and camera are coming into focus, and gets clearer and more focused once all the textures have popped in.

Trust me, gameplay being shallow is one of the last things you need to worry about with Evil Within. I was really impressed with all the mechanic depth there was in the demo of Evil Within, there's a lot of hidden gameplay depth that becomes evident as you're playing.

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

I think the random aspects will be a seriously underrated feature. When I go back through RE4 or Dead Space, I generally know where the enemies will be which kills the tension to a degree. Not knowing whats around the next corner will give more replay value to a genre that tends to struggle in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom