• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indignate

I finally got around to finished the second season of The Walking Dead.

I'm really glad they put Clementine as the character you control since it makes more since that (being how she is a child) anything you say with her or any choice your make ultimately doesn't matter. Feels like at least half of your dialogue options are outright ignored by the other characters.

AsfaeksBR

Good morning, Gaf!
Already voted in the Elections, now I'm ready to watch Chelsea x Arsenal and play more of The Room. The game looks simple but it's really pretty and the story is nice.

Tizoc

Reposting since no one answered last time
I will be getting a new 2 TB external HDD that uses USB 3.0, my latop uses SSD.
I want to transfer Wolfenstein TNO and Mordor to the new external HDD to save space on my laptop, but want to know a few thngs
1- Will the game's performance be affected by running from an External HDD?
2- How do I copy the games but still make Steam recognize the new destination of the files?

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I want to transfer Wolfenstein TNO and Mordor to the new external HDD to save space on my laptop, but want to know a few thngs
2- How do I copy the games but still make Steam recognize the new destination of the files?

I can't be sure about #1, but USB 3.0 is pretty fast, so I don't think there will be much of a difference.

My method of moving games is to have a steam installation folder on the new drive, then just copy and paste the game from the current directory to the new one. Then you can delete the game through the Steam client(nothing will be left in the old location so nothing actually gets deleted) and tell it to reinstall in the new folder. Before it downloads anything it will find the files that are already there. That process takes a few minutes, and once it's done the game is moved.

Knurek

1. Absolutely, but depending on the game might not be an issue. Half-Life 2 had 10-20 seconds loading screens and choppy performance at start of segment off of HDD, and 2-3 seconds loading screens and smooth 60 fps all the time off of an SSD.
2. Steammover, should be linked in the OP

Any update on AMD sending out Alien codes? :(

"Due to scheduling issues related to this AMD promotion, there will be a minor delay with the Alien Isolation code release. Please be assured you will receive your code soon after release."

Sorry, just copypasted the SC mail ;)

I guess we will get it after release though.

Any update on AMD sending out Alien codes? :(

Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eyes.gif

XShagrath

I know Borderlands: Pre-Sequel has several subs (Retail, RU/CIS, IN). Would it be risky to buy that from Nuuvem? It's only $35ish there.

-MD-

"Due to scheduling issues related to this AMD promotion, there will be a minor delay with the Alien Isolation code release. Please be assured you will receive your code soon after release."

If by "soon" they mean days then I'm going to hold off my playthrough until the end of the month, my plan was to finish that shit asap and be ready for The Evil Within on the 14th.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My girlfriend has been enjoying "max: the curse of brotherhood". She completed the first chapter within 3 hours (she never played games with a controller before)

What are some other easy platformers on steam that dont involve a lot of combat/shooting? Coop would be great as well.

I'm thinking about trine, limbo and castle of illusions. Anything else like that?
Max demands some frustrating precision later on and the mechanics don't really support precision that well. I could see it making a beginner pretty pissed off.

Grief.exe

I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

Whoa, welcome back!

The Evil Within has a lot of bad screenshots, especially with jaggies and the grain doesn't really help, I'm sure the game looks great if someone would actually take some downsampled shots.

Outside of low texture quality (which seems to be the case with most idtech games?) I would say it looks pretty good:

The footage from YouTube players who got a hold of the PC version looked very good.

There was a particular German who was running the game at 1440p and I was impressed, even before taking YouTube compression into account.

-MD-

Ho much is RE4 long?
I've just
defeated El Gigante

You're like abouts 20-25% through the game. I'm on the last chapter right now with 11 hours on my file.

The footage from YouTube players who got a hold of the PC version looked very good.

There was a particular German who was running the game at 1440p and I was impressed, even before taking YouTube compression into account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fIQexipaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPeM1JUc8pk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odkKID8WZmM

Grief.exe

I've just been dragging and dropping the files I need to move.

Set up a new Steam library folder in the settings menu.
Drag the game folder from Steamapps/common to your new library.
Drag the corresponding .asf file from Steamapps/ to your new library.

I doubt usb 3 will have the required bandwidth.

The_Monk

I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

Welcome back!

Grief While I need to play more Wasteland 2, I'm loving it, have you had the time to try it out? This may be the game some people have been waiting for quite some time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Then take bunny poops. You don't have to keep playing it if it tires you out. It's perfectly fine to play other games in between.

what the fuck are you talking about milamber? have you been hitting the hentai glue again? I just said its long o_O

Milamber

what the fuck are you talking about milamber? have you been hitting the hentai glue again? I just said its long o_O

I was just having fun of your "long as shit" comment by answering you with a perfectly reasonable advice in the form of a complementary metaphor.

Sorry.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was just having fun of your "long as shit" comment by answering you with a perfectly reasonable advice in the form of a complementary metaphor.

Sorry.

not forgiven! no 970 for you!

Vuze

:sadface

My Shadow of Mordor just froze (sound still worked), hope the game has a good checkpoint system. Too bad there is apparently no crash log. I also wonder why the game took 9 random screenshots and saved them to its Document folder lol

Apart from that, it runs like a dream on Ultra 1080p with my 4570/970, occasional stutter but not too bad. And it's damn fun! Really enjoy what I've got to play in the 70mins before the crash.

Could someone that finished The Vanishing of Ethan Carter answer one question? I'm now in
mines. There's the cursed miner attack. Or I'm not sure what that dude is but I do know it made me quit the game right there. Now I'm trying to get back to the game since I really do like everything else I've seen with the game. I just would want to know if there's more jump scares or anything similiar scary stuff there. The whole place is just creeping me a little too much right now. What about after the mine? Anything scary stuff to be expected then?

Spoilers for Ethan Carter -
That particular maze is the only place in the entire game where you will see an enemy. The moment you solve the puzzle there, you will be thrown back out to the train cart. After that there's no spooky or scary stuff at all.

Soon AFTER release? dafuq guys?

welcome back dude

Bl@de

thats like 1/4 of the way, the game is long as shit. took me 18 hours recently

And the great thing ... I'm guessing Evil Within will hold up to that length (and hopefully pacing and quality^^). I mean there's a gold trophy for completing the game under 5h. Gives me hope for 12-14h normal playthroughs.

I just don't know what difficulty to start. Really want to start on Hard (to unlock Akumu) ... but maybe then I'll be running around dying all the time with 1 bullet in my gun^^ Could take away the fun.

Resident Evil 4 on Normal was very well balanced. You die like shit when you're new to it but on your 2-3rd playthrough you get better and ready for professional.

hmmmmg....

Dr Dogg

As much as it's nice that everyone is still excited for The Evil Within a fair few of my doubts still remain and don't look like they're going to be answered properly until general release. Texture streaming looks awful, more so than any idTech 5 game before and on par with the early days of Unreal Engine 3. Also seeing as Tango have made modification to the engine, namely a 30hz refresh on consoles, I'm curious how that translates to the PC version. More troublesome might actually be the aspect ratio Tango have gone with. Seeing as it's faked 2.35:1 with letterboxed bars top and bottom for 16:9 resolutions I'm curious to know if it's going to be truly renders at a 21:9 resolution of if that will end up windowboxed instead. These's things are all great when you're targeting a fixed spec like a console but when you have something a flexible as a PC I'm wondering how much is going to be configurable by the end user or how much has been locked down by the developers.

Welcome back! In a weird twist the Steam thread now has more recommendations, impressions and people actually playing their libraries than ever before.

agniswarm

Banned
I finally got around to finished the second season of The Walking Dead.

I'm really glad they put Clementine as the character you control since it makes more since that (being how she is a child) anything you say with her or any choice your make ultimately doesn't matter. Feels like at least half of your dialogue options are outright ignored by the other characters.

I agree but the story is really too good..but its sad they make such small episodes..they should make a bigger game when there isnt much of graphics and actions that needs to be done..

-MD-

And the great thing ... I'm guessing Evil Within will hold up to that length (and hopefully pacing and quality^^). I mean there's a gold trophy for completing the game under 5h. Gives me hope for 12-14h normal playthroughs.

I just don't know what difficulty to start. Really want to start on Hard (to unlock Akumu) ... but maybe then I'll be running around dying all the time with 1 bullet in my gun^^ Could take away the fun.

Resident Evil 4 on Normal was very well balanced. You die like shit when you're new to it but on your 2-3rd playthrough you get better and ready for professional.

hmmmmg....

Definitely gonna start my Evil Within playthrough on hard.

And 95% of my deaths on my current RE4 run are from QTEs, they're far more deadly than any enemy lol.

I think Grief said that the black bars were removable on PC.

Yep, you can.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
As much as it's nice that everyone is still excited for The Evil Within a fair few of my doubts still remain and don't look like they're going to be answered properly until general release. Texture streaming looks awful, more so than any idTech 5 game before and on par with the early days of Unreal Engine 3. Also seeing as Tango have made modification to the engine, namely a 30hz refresh on consoles, I'm curious how that translates to the PC version. More troublesome might actually be the aspect ratio Tango have gone with. Seeing as it's faked 2.35:1 with letterboxed bars top and bottom for 16:9 resolutions I'm curious to know if it's going to be truly renders at a 21:9 resolution of if that will end up windowboxed instead. These's things are all great when you're targeting a fixed spec like a console but when you have something a flexible as a PC I'm wondering how much is going to be configurable by the end user or how much has been locked down by the developers.
I believe it's window boxed because they said that they would have a 16:9 mode on PC and that probably means just removing the black bars (so same hfov) rather than a normal 21:9 to 16:9 switch.

Messiah

And 95% of my deaths on my current RE4 run are from QTEs, they're far more deadly than any enemy lol.

I hate the QTEs during cutscenes. I want to put my controller down and relax when I watch cutscenes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well GAF, today's my birthday and I'm a whole year older now.

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.

-MD-

I hate the QTEs during cutscenes. I want to put my controller down and relax when I watch cutscenes.

Yeah they're terrible, I died 3 times in a row earlier to a QTE that I knew was coming, not sure if it changes how much time it gives you but the knife fight toward the end of the game felt like I had to react in half a second or I was dead.

Then of course I'd have to sit through the 4 minute QTE cutscene again. Lame.

Bl@de

Yeah I'm on RE4 too (again :D after I finished the HD version on PS3 in September). Got the Ultimate HD version in a sale...

post-37726-0-68203100-1409245487.gif

My deaths are 95%
Ashley
Her Ballistics don't help much in battle ...

5% are occasional mishaps in instakills due to reload

QTEs on PC are very easy. Button spamming on X+C is very easy :D

Thats why I tend to hard. And because Last of Us was such a perfect experience on hard on the first playthrough. So much running away ... didn't upgrade shit because I didn't find anything. No matter what people say... that game was survival horror for me ... on hard.

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Happy birthday man. Hope you have a good one =)

-MD-

Yeah I'm on RE4 too (again :D after I finished the HD version on PS3 in September). Got the Ultimate HD version in a sale...

My deaths are 95%
Ashley
Her Ballistics don't help much in battle ...

5% are occasional mishaps in QTEs or instakills due to reload -.-

Thats why I tend to hard. And because Last of Us was such a perfect experience on hard on the first playthrough. So much running away ... didn't upgrade shit because I didn't find anything. No matter what people say... that game was survival horror for me ... on hard.

How was Ashley giving you trouble? Her sections were a breeze for me during this playthrough.

And TLOU was incredible on hard w/ listen mode off on a first playthrough, I couldn't imagine experiencing it on a lower difficulty or using listen mode, just seems wrong.

Big reason I want to start TEW on hard, I don't want the game to hold anything back.

Grief.exe

Grief While I need to play more Wasteland 2, I'm loving it, have you had the time to try it out? This may be the game some people have been waiting for quite some time.

I've let you down Monk! I just don't have the time right now for an extremely long CRPG. Haven't even started Divinity or Wasteland 2.

One of the Bethesda Community managers took to the forums to ease our doubts on some of these issues.

Black bars are completely removable on the PC version and 21:9 support is in the game. The community manager warned that Mikami wanted the game to be played with the black bar to increase the tension, but we all know why they are there...

I don't know why, but I've always assumed frame rate wouldn't be an issue.

The_Monk

This really means a lot so thank you for writing such warm, kind words. I hope you can have a great day and I hope the very best to you. Thank you for your amazing dedication on ES and thank you for being part of the community.

I've let you down Monk! I just don't have the time right now for an extremely long CRPG. Haven't even started Divinity or Wasteland 2.

Ah it's okay my good man, you never let me down. It's seems indeed to be a time sink, but a good one, choosing my skills from the start was the most hard part for me, I can't wait to invest more time in the game and to learn more about my choices, improving my skills, etc. Either way, hope you can give it a try later on, when time can be more kind to you.

Bl@de

How was Ashley giving you trouble? Her sections were a breeze for me during this playthrough.

And TLOU was incredible on hard w/ listen mode off on a first playthrough, I couldn't imagine experiencing it on a lower difficulty or using listen mode, just seems wrong.

Big reason I want to start TEW on hard, I don't want the game to hold anything back.

Well it's not like she died 100 times ... but out of 10 "deaths" ... most of them were on the Right Route of El Gigante.

I went for both routes because I'm doing a 100% run with all treasures and items (and you need to do both routes for that).

So after the Barrier Station I only had a couple of blasts in my shotgun left. At first I used Ashley as bait for El gigante to shoot him when he picks her up. That way you can stun him easily and Ashley takes no damage if you hit his hand fast enough. Problem is ... he killed her a couple of times so I decided to dodge him and just pick all the items up in the area (including the hanging bucket) while getting some time with a flash grenade.

Other than that ... I didn't die on the playthrough^^ Yet ...

Spoilered because some may not know^^

Milamber

Happy Birthday JShack! You already are an amazing contributor and I can only look more forward to your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom