• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

Somebody who has played The Evil Within extensively coming here to answer some questions!

Scariness is subjective, but I think the game is more unnerving than some are expecting. A big part of this is because of the following aspects:

01.) Evil Within has fantastic sound design from the area I've played. The music is very down-toned and more blends in with everything else, and mostly it is natural sounds of the environment. There is very good use of 3D sound space, by which I mean you may hear a sound from a distance, but at a distance it is echo-y, dissonant, and distorted that slowly comes more into focus and louder the closer to the source you get. Some sounds are there just as ambiance, some are a clue, others are less than desirable. But the sound design in the game has impressed me, most impressive I've seen in a horror game since Among the Sleep, and adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

02.) Having the world suddenly change, legitimately unnerving music begin playing, and know that a slow-approaching stalker you can't kill is after you and you may not even know where he is immediately because he virtually makes no noise is legitimately nerve-wrecking, and he literally can appear at any time (even in the middle of fighting other enemies, doing a puzzle). He can appear anywhere, at anytime, and has a bad habit of bursting through doors.

03.) Speaking of randomization, the game has randomization elements when whether enemies will be there or not. If you die, or are playing through a segment again, a room that might of previously been safe suddenly is loaded with baddies, or one that was previously loaded will be safe, or there will be a different assortment of enemies, or more, or less than before. It does a good job to keep you on your toes.

04.) Surreal what-the-fuckitry where you see something so bizarre that it takes a bit to register what it is you're looking at, added with elements of surrealism and the unexpected.

05.) The game tackles a lot of different areas of horror, part of why I think it'll be scary for people is because you don't know what the game will do next.

06.) The game is also very challenging, someone said the horror is dampened if you can headshot enemies, I would argue that didn't dampen the effect of REmake at all, and headshots are very challenging to get here. Enemies will also reanimate and come back alive after you've killed them as long as you don't burn the body, shoot the head completely off, or stealth kill them. Enemies themselves are unnerving, the main enemies remind me of a mix between the Shibito from Forbidden Siren and Ganados from RE4, but a lot more intelligent and menacing. They don't move like people though, they move are strange, fidgety, and erratic.

---

Now to other things.

Game has a 21:9 mode for 21:9 monitors.

Texture load only happens upon initial load in the demo, and takes about 2-3 seconds when first arriving in a new area. I did not see any other texture pop-in or loading when playing the game outside of that initial 2-3 seconds at the very start. Cleverly blend this in with a gameplay mechanic, as the game starts blurry as the textures are loading in as if your character and camera are coming into focus, and gets clearer and more focused once all the textures have popped in.

On PC, been confirmed you can play 16:9 without borders, but game was designed around it, so advise to play with it on. It's to make the player look around more and be cautious of what's below and above them, as without the bars some traps would be too easy to initially see.

Trust me, gameplay being shallow is one of the last things you need to worry about with Evil Within. I was really impressed with all the mechanic depth there was in the demo of Evil Within, there's a lot of hidden gameplay depth that becomes evident as you're playing.

I'm questioning the randomization feature. I saw some dev gameplay of it before and he kept dying at one part where a zombie charged through the door yet it was there each time. And it wasn't a special zombie either, just a plain one. Maybe it was scripted? But it wasn't a significant enough event imo.

Eternia

I bet some of you wish you were me, where I get easily spooked out by fps games with just a slightly dark gritty theme. I never run out of survival horrors to play.

That's right I find bioshock scary
I found it scary too!

Now the real head-scratcher for me was...Legend of Grimrock. But that was more claustrophobia and the inability to see anything 15 feet ahead of you setting in.

MQX

Well GAF, today's my birthday and I'm a whole year older now.

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.
Happy Birthday :)

Giveaway:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MQX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 3 -- MB-5A8145A0D78DA80C

t1412529870z1.png

AsfaeksBR

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

I think the random aspects will be a seriously underrated feature. When I go back through RE4 or Dead Space, I generally know where the enemies will be which kills the tension to a degree. Not knowing whats around the next corner will give more replay value to a genre that tends to struggle in that regard.

I think that the random aspects will make the game's score lower on reviews, just like the Alien AI on Alien:Isolation

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Finger Death Punch -- MB-DA2C6100D72A4BB6 - Taken by Jadax. 2 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-7C2C2AA30C63B684 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 4 entrants total.

t1412530171z1.png

Skyzard

Banned
Arkham Knight on GMG is still £34.99 here.

It's not due till next year though right? Not coming out next week like originally said.

GMG is still using this screenshot:
large-5-640x350.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Arkham Knight on GMG is still £34.99 here.

It's not due till next year though right? Not coming out next week like originally said.

GMG is still using this screenshot:
large-5-640x350.jpg

Yeah, it was delayed by about 7.5 months, to early June.

Edit: Aw.

Skyzard

Banned
That's so long away, but 23% off £35 would be alright I think - £27.

Maybe Russian keys will be available for less though. I prepurchased Witcher 3 a while back at like £35 and now it's like £12 through traders.

9isq9OX.png

JaseC

I thought it was "only" delayed till around March? Maybe I'm mixing it up with some other game haha

There was no date attached to the initial news of the delay, so the common assumption was early next year, however last month WB announced a specific date of June 2nd.

Nabs

That's so long away, but 23% off £35 would be alright I think - £27.

Maybe Russian keys will be available for less though. I preordered Witcher 3 a while back at like £35 and now it's like £12 through traders.

I bet they'll have Nvidia keys again.

JaseC

What's this?

The past three Arkham games have been bundled with Nvidia GPUs. No pre-order bonuses, though, if that matters at all, with the quasi-exception of Arkham Origins (Deathstroke was advertised as a pre-order incentive but is actually included in the game by default -- I'm guessing somebody forgot to remove the files from the gold master builds and WB just rolled with it).

AHA-Lambda

The past three Arkham games have been bundled with Nvidia GPUs. No pre-order bonuses, though, if that matters at all, with the quasi-exception of Arkham Origins (Deathstroke was advertised as a pre-order incentive but is actually included in the game by default -- I'm guessing somebody forgot to remove the files from the gold master build and WB just rolled with it).

Oh right.

I'll end up getting a new GPU fairly soon though so I doubt I'll get in on that :(

Tellaerin

Well GAF, today's my birthday and I'm a whole year older now.

It's been a tough year for me - I lost my house and I lost my health benefits from work. But, like always, I've managed to bounce back and come out the other side better than before. I've also had a great time keeping Enhanced Steam up to date and adding cool new features that everyone likes.

And of course, it's been a great year for gaming. I'm just a few games shy of my goal of 52. In fact, I plan on finishing a game or two today. ;)

I know it's something typically reserved for other holidays, but every year on my birthday I always count my blessings and recognize the things in my life that are important. I just wanted everyone to know that GAF is one of those blessings. You guys are truly a great community and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Happy birthday, man! Glad to hear things have taken a turn for the better for you. Now get out there and enjoy the day! : )

JaseC

Hopefully people will sell theirs for cheap too.

People think it would be cheaper than £27 ($45) that way?

Cheaper than that, after a bit of time. I bought my Arkham City key on eBay for around AUD$30.

Edit: Oh wow, I was way off (24 GBP, which would have been about $40 back then). But as joki says, Borderlands: TPS codes are going for a similar price the above, so fear not!

rtcn63

Origins isn't really much of an incentive, considering how old it is. Nvidia knows they don't need free shit to sell their new cards. Bastards.

EDIT: Brainfart, is it Arkham Knight that's coming with the new cards?

JaseC

Origins isn't really much of an incentive, considering how old it is. Nvidia knows they don't need free shit to sell their new cards. Bastards.

EDIT: Brainfart, is it Arkham Knight that's coming with the new cards?

Nothing has been announced yet but history suggests the answer is "Yes."

Dr Dogg

Somebody who has played The Evil Within extensively coming here to answer some questions!Now to other things.

Game has a 21:9 mode for 21:9 monitors.

Texture load only happens upon initial load in the demo, and takes about 2-3 seconds when first arriving in a new area. I did not see any other texture pop-in or loading when playing the game outside of that initial 2-3 seconds at the very start. Cleverly blend this in with a gameplay mechanic, as the game starts blurry as the textures are loading in as if your character and camera are coming into focus, and gets clearer and more focused once all the textures have popped in.

On PC, been confirmed you can play 16:9 without borders, but game was designed around it, so advise to play with it on. It's to make the player look around more and be cautious of what's below and above them, as without the bars some traps would be too easy to initially see.

Dusk have you played this on PC at all? If you haven't been able to see how the game react to these changes first hand, I really wouldn't assume that everything would be fine on the say so of one post, by a community manager of all people.

If there has been no consideration for native wide aspect ratios or multiple monitors from the offset the first thing that's going to happen is all the prerendered cuscenes are going to be stretched horizontally to infinity due to the vertical constraints of the FOV. So a 16:9 cutscene would get distorted at a 21:9 resolution and even worse across multiple monitors like a 5760x1080 resolution.
Wolf:TNO @ 16:9
fmv_16x9.jpg

Wolf: TNO @ 48:9
fmv_3x1.jpg

What has been said (after I went and tracked it down myself) is...
Gstaff on Bethesda's forums said:
On PC, if you want to play it in 21:9, the game will support that resolution, and you can disable the bars, HUD and subtitles via the console. But that is not how it was designed to be played.

The extra wide (with black bars) aspect ratio and FOV is how the developers intended the game to be seen. Keep in mind that they were not developing the game on 21:9. Mkami designed the game to be played on a 16X9 screen.
Now that's not even really support let alone a specific mode for 21:9 monitors like you're saying. Allowing the game to render at an arbitrary resolution is one thing but there's and awful lot more to consider, especially if it was never planed in the first place. Only when all that is taken into account is that what I would consider support.

Second thing is that subtitles and UI elements appear in the bottom section of the screen which would be normally occluded from the viewport so they'd have to be displayed within the confines of the new aspect ratio but that the other residual UI elements like health meters, weapon indications as well as menus and such have more constrained coordinates. This mean unless the UI elements are flexible to appear at coordinates to the viewport that removal of any widescreen bars or change of aspect ratio is going to put them bang in the middle of the screen. Is the reason you can turn off the HUD is so it doesn't get in the way? Is it going to turn off every UI element? Is it going to impact world items like pick ups? Will it affect other residual element important for playing the game? Who knows but I get none of those questions answered by that post and no one but a developer from Tango can answer the question explicitly.

Thirdly I have no idea how texture streaming is handled on PC due to not seeing any footage from that or what the state of it even on consoles is now in later builds but it really doesn't look good from various bits of footage I've seen so far. Someone just posted a video in the UK demo thread and said it looks loads better and had come a long way but there were vast section with shadow maps z-fighting all over the place that I had never seen before in any previous footage. But that's really not anything that can be answered fully until the final build is out and played on a broad range of systems with wild varying specs.

And finally having a dig through the EWI forum on Bethesda's site despite a fair few requests to know if the game runs at a 60hz update on PC, even in threads where forum staff have been present, the question is still left unanswered.

I get that yourself and a lot of folks on GAF are excited for this game and I appreciate you've taken the time to respond but serious questions others and myself are asking are not really being answered and can't be unless they come from the dev's themselves. More than likely they won't be addressed until several people with the technical know-how have the PC game in their hands.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Steam Overlay in Shadow of Mordor? Doesn't seem to work for me, which is a bit of an issue, other games don't seem to have that issue for me.

Afterburner/Precision and FRAPS interfere with the Steam Overlay, which is quite a common occurrence really. I wasn't taking screenshots when I had Afterburner running but was all hunky dory when disabled. You might stop getting achievements as well if you have them running. So if you have anything like that on try disabling it and see how you get on.

derExperte

what kind of horseshit is that :(

Did you just buy two 970s without any incentive offered? Tadaaaa. That stuff gets rolled out when sales go down. Also it depends on the retailer btw, only a few even offter keys during those programs. And not retroactively.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm glad to hear things are better for you :)

A wild xelios appears!

You don't have to lie to us. It's cool, we can take it.

It's good to have you back Xelios.

It's nice to see you here.

Welcome back :)

nice to see you back man <3

Welcome back, Xelios. : ) Glad to hear you're well.

Welcome back :)

Xelios! Welcome back.

it's nice to see you back, steam threads are active as never before.

Hey, its good to see you back!

Genuinely very happy to see you back, xel -

Woah! Welcome back dude.

Welcome back!

Good to have you back buddy.

Hey Xelios, glad to see you pop up back here.

Whoa, welcome back!

Welcome back!

welcome back dude

Welcome back!

cool, glad he's back among the living

Sorry for the spam, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone. It's good to be back.

He is! He re-added me and others earlier.

Steam seems to limit the amount of people I can add in a given time period before I start receiving errors. If I haven't added someone yet it's because of that, or you changed your name. Just add me in that case and I'll accept (I was going through all 120+ pages of GAF members on Steam earlier until I encountered that error):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xelios

Anyone seen this Hotline Kavkaz?
It's pretty much a Hotline Miami ripoff.

I wonder what Devolver will do if this gets Greenlit

Don't worry people, it's not a ripoff of Hotline Miami. It's a poltical satire about those dirty immigrants. And street thugs, but those are basically the same anyways.

Alright, to all those who downvote this game: it IS a parody, just not the parody on the original Hotline series. Game is making fun of the many social issues in Russia, mainly the immigrants and wannabe street thugs, and the politicians that allow them to prosper as well.

Don't worry,
The game does not carry any racist connotations

So that should clear things up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh xelios is back? look at that

also happy bday shack

Grief.exe

Has anyone else had an issue with the Steam Overlay in Shadow of Mordor? Doesn't seem to work for me, which is a bit of an issue, other games don't seem to have that issue for me.

Go into the Riva Statistics Tuner, add the Shadow of Mordor exe, and turn on Custom D3D support.

You might stop getting achievements as well if you have them running. So if you have anything like that on try disabling it and see how you get on.

Initially, the overlay wasn't functioning for me due to Afterburner, but I was still earning achievements. At about the halfway point, I noticed I wasn't earning achievements anymore until I configured Afterburner correctly to allow the Overlay to function.

And finally having a dig through the EWI forum on Bethesda's site despite a fair few requests to know if the game runs at a 60hz update on PC, even in threads where forum staff have been present, the question is still left unanswered.

I get that yourself and a lot of folks on GAF are excited for this game and I appreciate you've taken the time to respond but serious questions others and myself are asking are not really being answered and can't be unless they come from the dev's themselves. More than likely they won't be addressed until several people with the technical know-how have the PC game in their hands.

It is important that these questions do get asked, a 30FPS lock would be detrimental to the overall quality of the game.

I'm still trying to recover from Hyper Light Drifter being 30fps. That shit hurt my soul.

I know very little about this game, but how can they have a top down action game restricted to 30 FPS? I also have trouble believing we are discussing a horror-TPS with a 30 FPS lock as well.

ihR7Ngz5lPLsK.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom