• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these giveaways are reminding me that I still have two months to accumulate cards before the next big, badge-involving sale. I've told myself before the past three or so Steam sales that I would drain all my games of cards and I never did. This time, things will be different... I mean, they won't, but I'll lie to myself and say that they will.

IdleMaster, son.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

8BitBoy -- MB-C8625193B5A0E687 - Taken by cardinalmind
Jets'N'Guns Gold -- MB-C8625193B5A0E687 - Taken by cardinalmind

One question: I did the "play X hours to received a voucher" on Playfire, both Mordor, Alien and X-Com. I received nothing. How can I grab my voucher?

Usually Playfire's tracking system can take some time, so if you played one of the aformentioned game just today, your reward may hopefully unlock in a few hours.

Phawx

Cross-posting from the indie thread. Since Malebolgia is greenlit, thought I share my thoughts on the Steam thread.

Thanks to Dascu for giving me a key to try out Malebolgia.

You can see my minamalist Let's Play (20~ Mins) of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4GNrhNkiI

Naturally the game isn't finished yet, but some of my early impressions:

Good pacing
Excellent atmosphere (and tension initially)
Lock-on targetting is spot-on (I realize that this is a point of contention, I am a huge fan of z-targeting and it's put to excellent use in Malebolgia)
Combat system is straight-forward and effective, variety stemming from enemies.

It's not finished but all the pieces that are there show a lot of promise. Flavor reminded me of the original Alone in the Dark with better controls, natch.

Tellaerin

I don't know, I think they can generate an infinite amout of those vouchers, also it wasn't stated this was a limited offer :S

It doesn't cost anything to generate the vouchers themselves, no, but I think the whole "80% off" thing might cut into their margins if they print a lot of them. >.>

Aaron D.

iyv99G2.png

Gosh darn it!

Every time I see this ModBot banner I think there's a cool Sim title being raffled.

Drats.

Tenrius

Yeah, well, that's just my opinion, man. :)

Which puzzle did you find illogical?

The one in the art gallery, for example. It was not entirely obvious that the man's snoring would mask the saw sounds. That entire scene doesn't make much sense, too: you walk behind the screen somewhere and supposed to cut the wall with a saw to reveal the background of a painting, and then cut it with your paper knife. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you think about it in a real-world context, does it?

Then there was the bird puzzle in the cell, which is a bit too particular. Or that part where you have to put a sack into a really small hole in the bunker, that was completely unnecessary.

Overall, a lot of them feel forced and overwrought in some cases. Adventure game puzzles shouldn't be simple, but they should have some kind of strict internal logic. It can be unusual or very specific, but that should be apparent from the game's context. Ideally, it should have a connection with the real world, in a "what I would have done in this situation" kind of way. I thought that the opening sequence and the church bit were really well done, for example.

Teppic

Spares.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Teppic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Osmos -- MB-ABEE79DFBE12624A - Taken by autoduelist
Dustforce DX -- MB-B34901CF694CF842 - Taken by iosefe

Tenrius

I believe you won this round. That game, man.

I'll stick to the Wii port of the original GameCube version and I'm going to play it on my Wii because I'm like that. Gotta get a new component cable for the Wii though, since mine suddenly stopped working.

Jawmuncher

I believe you won this round. That game, man.

lGYoigX.gif

I'll stick to the Wii port of the original GameCube version and I'm going to play it on my Wii because I'm like that. Gotta get a new component cable for the Wii though, since mine suddenly stopped working.

You have a PC emulate it on Dolphin for the best experience.
Unless the "look" of it on the TV adds to the experience or your PC can't emulate.

Eternia

I did a bit of reading and oh wow that's basically chest/corpse re-rolling from Might & Magic 6-8.

Kinda worried about getting Divinity: OS now.
Even though I didn't like the loot that much (never had much luck), I didn't bother doing that. You should be more concerned about building your party somewhat properly. I'd say that was a bigger problem from my playthrough as I accepted every "great" decision I made which led to having a bunch of hybrid characters that didn't work too great together. Despite all of that, I still managed to complete the game.

I saw some posts on Neogaf the other day about some sort of Steam card drop accelerator or something? I can't seem to find them now can anybody point me in the right direction please?

Jawmuncher

I saw some posts on Neogaf the other day about some sort of Steam card drop accelerator or something? I can't seem to find them now can anybody point me in the right direction please?

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

Not a accelerator.
But allows you to idle the game while asleep or anytime you don't want to play something on steam. Thus this way you can come back to seeing cards.
You won't get banned for this and it really helps out a lot if you have a large amount to idle.

Finished Murdered: Soul Suspect this morning. Steam says I've played it for 10 hours, but you can subtract about an hour and a half since I've been using Skype while playing, so I had to pause every couple of minutes.

To add to my previous impressions, I'll say that I appreciated some of the final twists.
The game wanted you to think that Baxter was the murderer, and to be honest I took the bait since the game's writing was't particularly good. In the end he did kill some girls under the Ghost Girl's influence, but so did you! That was totally unexpected, although not really important.

However, I don't think the game ever redeems itself. The plot ends being somewhat interesting, but ultimately nothing to write home about. While trying to find the last collectibles I found myself lost in the city of Salem multiple times, specifically trying to find the beach (really could have used a map there). And frankly, the game felt too samey. There are barely new gameplay mechanics after the first hour, and even those are barely used.

All in all, I think it's a "maybe play it if you like the genre and you get it in a bundle, but you're really not missing anything"/10. Ghost Trick remains the superior investigate-your-own-murder game.

----

Man, I've been reading that Borderlands:TPS OT and now I want to play it, even if I just finished the Tiny Tina DLC a couple of days ago :( Thankfully I know better than to give my money to Gearbox/2K before a GOTY edition comes out
that doesn't even cover all the DLC
. I think I'm going to start soloing Seraph Guardians now...

Tellaerin

They are already out of keys.

Good thing I was carrying a spare.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tellaerin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM: Enemy Unknown -- MB-804006C9FDF74E2A - Taken by Rand6. 4 entrants total.

t1413400689z1.png

Tenrius

lGYoigX.gif

You have a PC emulate it on Dolphin for the best experience.
Unless the "look" of it on the TV adds to the experience or your PC can't emulate.

Nah, I'm fine. My laptop can run Dolphin in theory, but it's still not 100% smooth, so I'd rather not do it. Besides, the Wii games look good enough on my TV. I wish I could get a separate SDTV for older consoles, but I don't have the room for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom