• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
I know very little about this game, but how can they have a top down action game restricted to 30 FPS? I also have trouble believing we are discussing a horror-TPS with a 30 FPS lock as well.

ihR7Ngz5lPLsK.png

What!? Evil Within being 30fps a fact or a rumor? I don't know how much my heart can take of this crap.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What!? Evil Within being 30fps a fact or a rumor? I don't know how much my heart can take of this crap.

All footage of the game released thus far has been 30fps, which I suppose makes sense when you consider that it has dynamic lighting, a feature which id Tech 5 has historically lacked. Whether or not the game will be limited to 30fps on the PC also remains to be seen.

Li Kao

Oh then Idk. I just barely started using borderless so I assumed it was a problem with all games.

So it seems borked I guess.

On the subject of strange overlay behavior : I noticed during the past few weeks that pushing F12 has a sort of lag in some games. Like you F12 and the UI feedback from that action takes a good 10 sec to trigger.
Pretty annoying, having no immediate feedback often leads me to take several screenshots for nothing.

Yesterday night I played a bit of Amnesia 2...

It was actually not really scary. It seems the team that developed it didnt get what the first game made scary in the first place and relies on "shock"-effects like thunder, random rumbling and such things.

Edit: And why was Tera removed from Steam again? It was supposed to relaunch on 30th September. Then it got pushed back. Now the sub doesnt exist anymore...

JaseC

It was actually not really scary. It seems the team that developed it didnt get what the first game made scary in the first place and relies on "shock"-effects like thunder, random rumbling and such things.

It's disappointing that the game turned out as it did as A Machine for Pigs is a fantastic title.

Shadownet

Banned
Happy Birthday jshackles :) may this year be much better for you and your family!

Also welcome back xelios, I think I remember seeing you around GAF before but I'm not sure. Either way, it's nice to see a fellow gaffer back from a long hiatus!

gabbo

Edit: And why was Tera removed from Steam again? It was supposed to relaunch on 30th September. Then it got pushed back. Now the sub doesnt exist anymore...

It certainly wasn't as scary as the original. It did have a deeper sense of dread to it, in my opinion. I never felt like around the corner would be something I didn't want to experience, but it was not a 'nice place' to be either. Like, actively bad. Where as before I wanted to explore, but was scared to do so because there was something around that corner.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Call of Dooty ? At least i remember it being 60€ on PC for a while now. Not really accepted but fans of these games don't really seem to mind.

Yeah, well CoD can do that cause the fans are going to buy it anyway. But Ubi, WB, EA and Acti are now charging 60€ for games and I'm not happy about that.

Just because publishers price their games that high doesn't mean we accept it....

It's just that I don't really hear anybody talking about it. Sure I can always buy it from Nuuvem or whatever, just thought this is a bit odd.

Dr Dogg

Initially, the overlay wasn't functioning for me due to Afterburner, but I was still earning achievements. At about the halfway point, I noticed I wasn't earning achievements anymore until I configured Afterburner correctly to allow the Overlay to function.

Damn! You seem to be cursed with that at the moment. I had an issue with Sleeping Dogs where I played it with the Overlay disabled and I didn't get any achievements on that save. I had to start a new game fresh to unlock the Police Case ones. Not that I'm complaining having a blast going through that again.

It is important that these questions do get asked, a 30FPS lock would be detrimental to the overall quality of the game.

Well from my brief poking about it's not a problem with no one bringing it up, several are, but that no one who might be able to answer is responding. Let me grab my conspiracy theory hat and throw out a couple of possibilities why. On one hand it could be that because all the console version have been confirmed to have a 30hz update that Bethesda don't want to sully the waters or jeopardise console sales saying the PC version runs at 60. Or that they don't want to cause a shit storm by confirming that the PC version is locked to 30 like the console versions. Maybe they're both crazy theories or maybe they're not but as things stand I doubt anyone is finding out for sure until release day.

Eddie Bax

Did a bit of search first; not sure if I wasn't using the right search terms or if this just hasn't been answered recently...

Is there any way to see when you added particular games to your steam library, or get a list of games added, with dates?

MRORANGE

I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

Welcome back! Glad to hear everything is okay now.

Grief.exe

Let's do this

newsteam-assemble-gif.gif

vsryLSs.png

Both the @Bethblog and @TheEvilWith tags seem to answer fan questions relatively frequently, while the @johnjohanas, an employee of Tango Gameworks, seems to answer questions very frequently.

As usual, retweet, start your own, or both!

maneil99

Let's do this

vsryLSs.png

Both the @Bethblog and @TheEvilWith tags seem to answer fan questions relatively frequently, while the @johnjohanas, an employee of Tango Gameworks, seems to answer questions very frequently.

Does ID Tech 5 even allow over 60 fps

JaseC

Does ID Tech 5 even allow over 60 fps

Yes, technically, but the related cvar was patched out of Rage as the game's general logic is tied to framerate and so running it north of 60fps caused things to speed up.

maneil99

Yes, technically, but the related cvar was patched out of Rage as the game's general logic is tied to framerate and so running it north of 60fps caused things to speed up.

Wolfienstein was locked to 60 aswell though and Doom 3 BFG.

JaseC

Wolfienstein was locked to 60 aswell though and Doom 3 BFG.

Yeah, I know, because of what I just said. ;) "Fixing" the issue would probably be more trouble than it'd be worth so I doubt TWE will be any different, assuming the PC version isn't also limited to 30fps.

Christmas will be pretty crazy if I get around building my a new PC. I played some more Wasteland 2 today again and I absolutely love the game so far but now I had to drop the reso to 720p and it's... well, very bad looking and it still runs like 10 fps at times. Weird. Maybe I'll add that to my "games to play with new PC" with Fallout:NV, Divinity: OS, Witcher 2, Sonic Generations and some others that I started but couldn't just get decent performance out of.

Is it possible to get Assassin's Creed Unity cheaper? I can't believe that they're selling it for the console price without any pre-order discount.

Dr Dogg

Let's do this

vsryLSs.png

Hahaha you had to post this just before I PM'd you. Add https://twitter.com/jasonxbergman into the mix as he's a senior producer at Bethesda. Also someone who said "ask me closer to launch" when asked about the PC's framerate. I guess we should oblige then in the 100's :p

JaseC

what's jasec's journal doing in my game ಠ_ಠ

Collect the whole set!

Is it possible to get Assassin's Creed Unity cheaper? I can't believe that they're selling it for the console price without any pre-order discount.

Best you can do, if you want the Steam version, is buy 29 second-hand keys and give them to a US GAFer to sell on the market to cover the cost of the game, but you'd only be saving a few bucks.

Momentary

Banned
What

Really? What.

The build I played is in alpha and only shows a very small portion of the game. The final product could very well be set to 60. I posted on their official forums.

You know it's a serious problem if I venture out of NeoGAF to post in another forum to try and settle a matter.

Mono

I marathoned and finished The Walking Dead Season 1 and 400 Days yesterday!

I feel like your choices affected this game a lot more than they did in The Wolf Among Us, but I'm not sure since I only played through the game with one set of choices. For TWAU, I played through the game again choosing all of the opposite major choices, and things weren't that different.

I'm mainly thinking about many different group combos there can be in the final episode. My party ended up being
Omid, Christa, Lee, and Kenny
. Assuming that
Kenny dies
no matter what, I'm curious as to
how he dies if Christa and Omid aren't with you in episode 5 -- or what happens if Lee is going solo for that part.
Also,
I'm surprised he even came with me, since I accidentally made him shoot Duck, lol oops.

The "Big Bad" felt a bit cheap
since I'm pretty sure he acts and says basically the same things regardless of whether or not you stole stuff from his car earlier on, since "your people" steal from the car no matter what; maybe he's a bit more hostile if you do steal his stuff?
but I thought the last scene was an excellent ending!

In the end,
I had Clementine shoot Lee as her final break into cruel post-apocalyptic world! Zombie Lee seems a bit more emotionally scarring, and those handcuffs didn't look like they'd hold. :(

I'm wondering if in episode 5, there's a way
to keep everyone alive / with you up until the Marsh House scene?
I'm assuming not, but I might go back and replay that part of the game to see what happens if
I let Omid and Christa go across the sign first.

Overall, awesome game! I want to play the second season now! I also really enjoyed the 400 Days DLC; it was very well written and only costed me $1.

I'm about one and a half chapters into The Cat Lady. Do you guys recommend continuing if I'm not blown away so far? I kind of like the atmosphere and it feels like the story/decisions are starting to go in a somewhat interesting direction, but it also seems to be starting incredibly slowly and feels like just walking from point a to point b with key c, repeat...

Jadax

Guys quick question - so I'm playing CSGO on the lowest settings, windowed mode, 1280x600 or something.

So the game starts off fine, fps is high(ish) and I'm not having any problems - but about 10-15mins in I starting getting stuttering (the fps drops and the game becomes a sort of slideshow). This happens in spikes (i.e. it will be a slideshow for a few mins, then the fps will improve, then again slideshow, then fps improves etc.)

Is this because of my graphics card or memory? Any way to fix this other than upgrading my graphics?

Miguel81

I'm replaying FEAR 1 & 2 and it surprises me how well the sequel still looks and plays.

Yeah, it still looks great but it's a shame that they toned down the more hectic nature of the original. That one still has some of the best firefights in an FPS, and the horror angle is much appreciated by me. DAT Shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom