• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

There's supposedly a big free weekend planned.

Awesomenauts
Blade Symphony
Company of Heroes 2
Don’t Starve
Grid 2
Injustice
Killing Floor
Payday 2
Trine 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I hope these games will have a sale too. I want the Don't Starve DLC and Awesomenauts Starstorm dlc

Ozium

I hope these games will have a sale too. I want the Don't Starve DLC and Awesomenauts Starstorm dlc

according to the post made about this earlier in the thread, there will be sales to go along with it...

don't buy dont starve tho

doin' frosty's work for him

Nabs

iBLYEVM2c5acn.gif

Klei is amazing and achievements are the work of the devil.

Deques

No one buy Don't Starve unless you want to support a dev who hates their consumers.

according to the post made about this earlier in the thread, there will be sales to go along with it...

don't buy dont starve tho

doin' frosty's work for him

You need to give me a better reason to not to support Klei

Are people still moaning about that? I thought no one cared about Steam achievements anyway?

I'm an achievement whore

Best reason to hate Klei is that Mark Of The Ninja is an awful stealth game and if you like MotN as a stealth game your taste is awful.

-_- goddammit I hated Mark Of The Ninja

Tellaerin

it's actually !=

don't u know how to code -_-

also i love faye, she's cool. she could use a bra tho

too bad no amount of mods can change the fact that you're wasting your life playing skyrim

Yeah, that was a typo on my end. What I get for not proofing my posts.
Though my modern coding skills are admittedly pretty crap. >.>
Still waiting to see the fruit of your coding labors, btw. When's the big reveal?

Yeah, Faye's awesome. Glad we can agree on that. : ) (Then again, Bebop was just awesome in general.)

Re Skyrim/Beth games in general: They fill a niche. People obviously enjoy them. You might feel that people should be spending their time playing "something better", but what's "better"? For example, you swear up and down that NV > FO3 like it's an absolute fact, but I enjoyed FO3 more than I did NV. Someone else's arbitrary declaration of what I should be enjoying isn't suddenly going to make the so-called "better" game more fun for me to play. So if people want to "waste their life" on something like Skyrim because they enjoy it, rather than wasting their lives playing some other game that's been certified superior by the Taste Police, I say more power to 'em. Play what you love, love what you play.

Best reason to hate Klei is that Mark Of The Ninja is an awful stealth game and if you like MotN as a stealth game your taste is awful.

Huh, you're the first person I've ever met to dislike/hate Mark of the Ninja.
Curious as to why you don't like it.

Ozium

they said achievements didn't fit their vision and continue to maintain that despite the game having trophies on ps4 (required, sure) but do they port those over to the PC for the people asking for them? no, they don't... same thing w/ controller support (want to play on your TV? fuck you says klei)

their "vision" is meaningless though because their original vision was a single player only game w/ no multiplayer... however people asked for multiplayer and they then decided to do multiplayer (which will be paid for DLC) why not add achievements and controller support (that is already there in the ps4 build) oh it's because they can't charge for those... their vision is only maintained if changing it won't make them money. this is disingenuous.

furthermore, their arguments against achievements are ridiculous.. they say that playtesters would not explore, they would just do what the achievements told them to do... (yet there are wikis for the game that do just this) too bad there isn't a way to make them all secret and require exploring anyways, oh wait there is. they also jokingly referred to achievements being something like "chop down x number of trees." but all this demonstrates is poor achievement design.

also, if you think achievements are only about "e-peen" then you are very shortsighted people. I enjoy them because it lets me track progress through a game between myself and friends, as well as giving ideas of different ways to play the game that I might have not thought of.. but no it's ONLY about e-peen and if you want games to have achievements (a common feature these days) then you are a piece of shit.. whatever

when I asked about achievements on the steam forum for the game I was raked over the coals and attacked, pretty much like some people do here, apparently. me wanting achievements in the game and parity with other versions is apparently a cardinal sin, and being attacked by fanboys and klei-approved moderators who interpret "are there going to be achievements added? I enjoy them." to meaning "I only play games for achievements" means klei can fuck off

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah it was a score attack based platformer.

It was marketed as a stealth game, when it clearly is not.

AHA-Lambda

:O

As a stealth game it was definitely on the easier side but it was fast and fluid, very much still enjoyable.

Nabs

they said achievements didn't fit their vision and continue to maintain that despite the game having trophies on ps4 (required, sure) but do they port those over to the PC for the people asking for them? no, they don't... same thing w/ controller support (want to play on your TV? fuck you says klei)

their "vision" is meaningless though because their original vision was a single player only game w/ no multiplayer... however people asked for multiplayer and they then decided to do multiplayer (which will be paid for DLC) why not add achievements and controller support (that is already there in the ps4 build) oh it's because they can't charge for those... their vision is only maintained if changing it won't make them money. this is disingenuous.

furthermore, there arguments against achievements are ridiculous.. they say that playtesters would not explore, they would just do what the achievements told them to do... (yet there are wikis for the game that do just this) too bad there isn't a way to make them all secret and require exploring anyways, oh wait there is. they also jokingly referred to achievements being something like "chop down x number of trees." but all this demonstrates is poor achievement design.

also, if you think achievements are only about "e-peen" then you are very shortsighted people. I enjoy them because it lets me track progress through a game between myself and friends, as well as giving ideas of different ways to play the game that I might have not thought of.. but no it's ONLY about e-peen and if you want games to have achievements (a common feature these days) then you are a piece of shit.. whatever

when I asked about achievements on the steam forum for the game I was raked over the coals and attacked, pretty much like some people do here, apparently. me wanting achievements in the game and parity with other versions is apparently a cardinal sin, and being attacked by fanboys and klei-approved moderators who interpret "are there going to be achievements added? I enjoy them." to meaning "I only play games for achievements" means klei can fuck off

the game has controller support on pc.

I don't have a problem with you wanting achievements.

The whole vendetta thing because they didn't provide them? Kind of weird.

Are people still moaning about that? I thought no one cared about Steam achievements anyway?

:checks my profile:
nope. don't care. not one bit.

--

Regardless of whether or not you want them, the fact that a console release was given additional content should piss you off. Furthermore, the fact that Klei is determined to have their cake and eat it too is beyond hypocritical and shows the company as a bunch of sellout douchbags who are pretty much solely interested in money and their own agenda... if the fans' requests/feedback are along the lines of what they're already doing... AWESOME -- put it in and charge more for it. If not, well, tell them to fuck off.

Ozium

I don't have a problem with you wanting achievements.

The whole vendetta thing because they didn't provide them? Kind of weird.

the vendetta isn't because I didn't get achievements but because of the way I was treated by people approved by Klei and their fanbase...

for their game, Invisible Inc, in early access one of the questions on the FAQ is "will this ahve achievements and controller support?" and the answer is vague w/ more "if we feel like it fits" bullshit... so they clearly know people want these things enough to reference them in upcoming games, but they don't want to cater to every consumer... which is fine because I don't have to buy games from them

Echoplx

The PC version has controller support and the multiplayer will be a free update.

Ozium

So it was all about achievements after all. Also multiplayer isn't a DLC, it'll be available for everyone.

yeah because how a company treats its consumers and how it conducts itself = achievements

pretty sad that 80% of the people here have poor reading comprehension skills.

also, I was wrong about it being DLC.. but the price of the base game will increase when multiplayer is added.. so there's the rub (hint: they are doing it because they can increase the price, not because they give a shit about you as a consumer and your wants)

Nabs

yeah because how a company treats its consumers and how it conducts itself = achievements

also, I was wrong about it being DLC.. but the price of the base game will increase when multiplayer is added.. so there's the rub (hint: they are doing it because they can increase the price, not because they give a shit about you as a consumer and your wants)

But... it's free for people who supported the game. So they do care about their customers.

Here are some of my older posts about the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78626397&postcount=10454
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80089137&postcount=14269

My experience was just frustrating and random, especially do to the glitches and the shittiest checkpoint system ever invented. Most of the puzzles could be solved by luck or by randomness and sort time after that I figured out that the best way is just to run and hope you make to the next checkpoint before the alarm gets rung -> reset -> no alarms.

Teeth

Just so we're clear: What exactly did Klei themselves (not their message board warriors) say that makes you think they treat their consumers badly?

Teeth

I don't get how choosing to implement some features some fans wanted but not implementing some features other fans wanted implies that you treat your consumers badly.

I'm sure there are a lot of consumers that never got their most wanted feature in the game. For free. Klei is free to pick and choose what they feel is best for their game. It's not dictated by what some fans want (while others want other things).

EDIT: getting dangerously close to the E-word in here.

the vendetta isn't because I didn't get achievements but because of the way I was treated by people approved by Klei and their fanbase...

for their game, Invisible Inc, in early access one of the questions on the FAQ is "will this ahve achievements and controller support?" and the answer is vague w/ more "if we feel like it fits" bullshit... so they clearly know people want these things enough to reference them in upcoming games, but they don't want to cater to every consumer... which is fine because I don't have to buy games from them

Yeah, but you can't define someone by the actions of their fans. All sorts of media types have ravenous or ill-informed fanbases.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. They told their fanbase that they're not planning on adding achievements or controller support, and they put out a DLC that will be free to anyone who bought the game up to that point (with everyone else new to the game paying after the fact). Am I missing something?

furthermore, their arguments against achievements are ridiculous.. they say that playtesters would not explore, they would just do what the achievements told them to do... (yet there are wikis for the game that do just this) too bad there isn't a way to make them all secret and require exploring anyways, oh wait there is. they also jokingly referred to achievements being something like "chop down x number of trees." but all this demonstrates is poor achievement design.

I have 194 hours clocked in Don't Starve (between four members of my family) and ALL of it was with a controller and on my TV.

Was it stupid and lame of them to not add achievements to the game? Sure! Is it stupid and lame to get so overly worked up over a game that you then.... never mind! :p Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on the matter. I certainly won't attack someone who feels the way you and corrosivefrost do. Maybe they'll add achievs to their next game. After playing Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve I can say that I'll almost always be interested in what games they put out.

Ozium

Just so we're clear: What exactly did Klei themselves (not their message board warriors) say that makes you think they treat their consumers badly?

their own designers have said multiple times that the game is about exploration and "not finding shiny little trinkets to brag about" they are clearly being antagonist towards people who like achievements. putting down potential consumers is never a good idea... there was a topic on their own forum by one of the devs but it's now deleted.

they also base the lack of achievements on this insight from developing the game:

But we were having trouble teaching people how to play. So, as a first pass, we had a very mainstream, traditional way of doing that. We gave players a series of escalating tasks. Go find some food. When you did that, it would say “Go befriend a pig,” and so on and so forth as a teaching mechanism.

What we found was that, before we put that in, some people were confused because there were a lot of legitimately confusing things about the interface. But after we put it in, people would, like robots, just do the task. They would do nothing but complete them. They wouldn’t explore, they wouldn’t use their mind to think about what they could do, they’d just do what they were told.

so because their in-game objective system wasn't deemed as fun, this extends to achievements? completely illogical, as achievements don't need to be rote objectives and/or easily seen. Clearly if they are so logicaly bankrupt that they equate telling a player "hey go love a pig" to the entirety of achievements, then I want nothing to do with their games

I don't support devs with cognitive dissonance...

the kicker is if this were EA or Activision it would probably be different, but how dare anyone slander the sacred cow that is an indie dev team

their own designers have said multiple times that the game is about exploration and "not finding shiny little trinkets to brag about" they are clearly being antagonist towards people who like achievements. putting down potential consumers is never a good idea... there was a topic on their own forum by one of the devs but it's now deleted.

they also base the lack of achievements on this insight from developing the game:

so because their in-game objective system wasn't deemed as fun, this extends to achievements? completely illogical, as achievements don't need to be rote objectives and/or easily seen. Clearly if they are so logicaly bankrupt that they equate telling a player "hey go love a pig" to the entirety of achievements, then I want nothing to do with their games

You need to be clear. Was it the devs themselves or other fans who verbally attacked you?

At the end of the day, it's a minor point. If I'm going to rail at a developer for not giving me achievements, it's probably a safe bet that I wasn't interested in their game in the first place. The joy of playing the game (whatever that entails) should be the goal, not just achievements.

The achievements of Don't Starve for the PS3/4 have to be the some of the most passive-aggressive I have ever seen (and keep in mind they were forced to put achievements and this is what they put):

The Firestarter
Unlock Willow (3)

The Strongman
Unlock Wolfgang

The Bereaved
Unlock Wendy

The Soulless Automaton
Unlock WX-78 (1)

The Librarian
Unlock Wickerbottom

The Lumberjack
Unlock Woodie (3)

The Silent
Unlock Wes (13)

The Puppetmaster
Unlock Maxwell (9)

Secret Trophies

Look on my works, ye Mighty,
Build an Accomploshrine (12)

...and despair!
Use the Accomploshrine 725 times

The Accomploshrine does nothing but give you an achievement.

Arthea

Taking about achievements, jinn is out of the bottle already, too late for motivational talks, gamers like achievements, pointless or not, they prove it all the time.
It's still devs choice to add them or not, but they have to be prepared for bitching, moaning and other consequences.
I've seen quit a few devs give in and add cheevos, when people ask for them on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom