• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I'm in love with TEW I've been only playing Batman Arkham Origins since I'm sick at home. I'm not sure why this game got this much hate though. Aside from some glitches here and there and not being drastically different from City, it's clearly the best of the bunch. :¬|

-MD-

Even though I'm in love with TEW I've been only playing Batman Arkham Origins since I'm sick at home. I'm not sure why this game got this much hate though. Aside from some glitches here and there and not being drastically different from City, it's clearly the best of the bunch. :¬|

That's a big reason why I skipped it, Origins looked like City 2.0 and I wasn't really feeling more of the same. I loved City don't get me wrong though.

I've been waiting for Knight, hoping they do some different stuff with it.

It's funny when you put it this way. You know that most people find gaming itself pointless, not essential, waste of time and proof of immaturity, don't you?
How are you being any different now?
Let people like what they like and care about what they want to care, would you?

Lemme summarise what steamgaf tried to teach me:
1. levels, badges, card collecting is idiotic because it's pointless and metagame, unless it's for making some money to buy more games.
2. achievements are stupid and not necessary because it's for show and not essential for a game
3. playing games is unnecessary, collecting them is.

am I forgetting something? (><)

you forget the most important leasson of all: waifus

Sendou

It's "tacked on" because it's not fundamentally part of the game itself. If an NPC gives you a quest to kill 10 rats, you kill them, and you turn in that quest for some xp and gold or an item or whatever, that accomplishment has meaning within the context of the game.

With achievements, you're being handed a laundry list of arbitrary things to do in a game that someone came up with after the fact. Those tasks aren't handed out in-universe, and there's no in-game reward attached to achieving them. You can strip them away and the actual game is completely unchanged. They're the equivalent of telling your buddy, "Hey, Bob, let me see you do 10 barrel rolls in a row!" and handing him a slip of paper saying "You did 10 barrel rolls in a row!" if he can do it. That's why I feel they're pointless - the "reward" is just a confirmation of something you already know you did, and you can just as easily make up some arbitrary goals to challenge yourself if someone else didn't. *shrug*

You are defining a game in a way that I feel that is too strict. Even if achievements have no in-universe consequences (which they can have) I still feel they are definitely part of the game. Making a good set of achievements is part of game design and so on.

For me achievements are there just for my completionist nature. It's easy to say I'm done with the game once I get all the achievements. After that achievements act as my gaming diary of sorts. I can easily see what I played and when just by looking at them.

Chariot

It's funny when you put it this way. You know that most people find gaming itself pointless, not essential, waste of time and proof of immaturity, don't you?
How are you being any different now?
Let people like what they like and care about what they want to care, would you?

Lemme summarise what steamgaf tried to teach me:
1. levels, badges, card collecting is idiotic because it's pointless and metagame, unless it's for making some money to buy more games.
2. achievements are stupid and not necessary because it's for show and not essential for a game
3. playing games is unnecessary, collecting them is.

am I forgetting something? (><)
How can you interpret "if you don't like it, ignore it" into "Achievements and all who like them are a waste". People who don't like games don't play them and that's ok. I can ignore achievements without hating everyone who likes them, you know?

Ozium

Please enlighten me, I tend to ignore achievements, except for easy playfire money.

comparing progress to friends by looking at data

using achievements as a means to convey humor (ex: portal 2) through a means of gaming media

using them to archive things for your own pleasure (why do people on this forum beating some tough boss in a game when they were a kid, must be because of e-peen and not just feeling good for doing something difficult)

making ones for different styles of play so you can get data on how ppl play/try something you might not otherwise..

to track stats across all people who play the game and feel sad when you realize that only 2 percent of a games userbase has actually beaten the thing

to remind you that you did something while you were too drunk or stoned to remember

these are all reasons other than "omg my e-peeeeeen" and I am just spitting ideas using imagination and creativity.

edit: Tellaerin, you say they are not "in game" but they are in game. You do something in the game, and the game then displays that you did. It's in the programming. Where does the game end and real life begin? The achievements in Risk of Rain are in game, and by doing those achievements (and getting the little badge to pop into your GAME and its associated account) give you unlockables in game... so how are acheivements not a part of the game? you cannot have an achievement for a game without the game existing in the first place, and employing those within its programming framework.

Messiah

Yeah, the hate against Origins confused me too. It's great.

Arthea

you forget the most important leasson of all: waifus

my bad, not gonna happen again (><)

How can you interpret "if you don't like it, ignore it" into "Achievements and all who like them are a waste". People who don't like games don't play them and that's ok. I can ignore achievements without hating everyone who likes them, you know?

that's not impression I got from your posts, actually

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys have anyone got Divinity OS to run at a stable 60fps? It was so weird. I just boot it up and it was running on max at 30fps, then i messed around with the in-game settings. Put it on low and it jumped to 60fps. Then put it back up to max and it went down to 20fps and stayed there. Now it's back to 60fps but idk..

Is this game well optimized? or is there a mod or patch I'm missing?

With maxed settings, I would say I had it around 50-70 with a few drops to 35-40s due to certain environments. This was using a single stock GTX 760.

Copons

You can try checking your power settings and see if your GPU is set for power management or balance rather than performance.

You can use nVidia Inspector to manually set your fan to max RPMs just to hear what it sounds like; it might in fact be really quiet.

You can also download some ridiculous bench marks and really strain your card to see what happens.

I was actually running on balanced. I even checked it months ago and I just saw "balanced" or "power saver", not noticing the tiny arrow needed to show "additional plans", like, you know, "high performance". :D
Let's see if this will change anything.

Meanwhile, I tried turning the fans to 100% with Inspector, and it's actually pretty noisy. A noise I honestly NEVER heard before.
Anyway, right now it says GPU Load 6 or 7%, I'm gonna try to run Max Payne 3 monitoring it to see what happens.

Thank you! :)

Yakkue

Finally finished Eryi's Action - neat little game!
The last boss took me so many tries, I really didn't expect this game to suddenly turn into a
shmup
. Was a ton of fun.
Did anyone else here play it?

Ozium

That's why I feel they're pointless - the "reward" is just a confirmation of something you already know you did, and you can just as easily make up some arbitrary goals to challenge yourself if someone else didn't. *shrug*

you can make up your own goals to challenge yourself for sure, but what about those goals that you don't think of yourself but may still be fun to accomplish?

I also don't think achievements are on par with Bob saying "do this or that." Because achievements would come from the developers, who should have the most knowledge about the game and its limits, restrictions, etc. This, then, creates another avenue for a developer to 'speak to' the audience as it were

edit: in fact thinking more, Binding of Isaac ties achievements to unlockables like RoR does.. in fact, a lot of roguelike/lite games do this... achievements aren't inherently good or bad, but how they are implemented and their degree of creativity/originality determines their value imo

Spyware

I wish I could hide achievements without making my profile private. It makes me uncomfortable to know that people compare them and such.

aku:jiki

It's "tacked on" because it's not fundamentally part of the game itself. If an NPC gives you a quest to kill 10 rats, you kill them, and you turn in that quest for some xp and gold or an item or whatever, that accomplishment has meaning within the context of the game.
That argument works for RPGs, but what about games where the reward is the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge? Are you arguing that any and all games that don't give loot or unlockable skins or whatever are all exercises in pointlessness? Is 90% of gaming history useless because you can't get a +15 Sword of Ultimate Death in Pac-Man?

I mean, you sound like an achievement junkie with slightly different parameters. It's all addiction to easily understood rewards; some people like a little badge on their profile and you like that +15 Sword.

With achievements, you're being handed a laundry list of arbitrary things to do in a game that someone came up with after the fact. Those tasks aren't handed out in-universe, and there's no in-game reward attached to achieving them. You can strip them away and the actual game is completely unchanged. They're the equivalent of telling your buddy, "Hey, Bob, let me see you do 10 barrel rolls in a row!" and handing him a slip of paper saying "You did 10 barrel rolls in a row!" if he can do it. That's why I feel they're pointless - the "reward" is just a confirmation of something you already know you did, and you can just as easily make up some arbitrary goals to challenge yourself if someone else didn't. *shrug*
How is it not in-universe just because the list is viewable in the Steam application? You still have to go to the town Ravenwood and perform a certain task, it's just that the instruction is an achievement instead of a note on the ground.

And how is the XP you mentioned earlier also not just a confirmation of something you already know you did? Why is one reward supposedly better than another? They all trigger the same shit in your brain.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The last boss took me so many tries, I really didn't expect this game to suddenly turn into a
shmup
. Was a ton of fun.

I think the art style is endearing, but someone on GAF mentioned that the game was deceptively difficult. I have kept it in mind, but I have finished other less challenging titles in the interim. Once I have a long strech of time to appreciate what the developer intended I want to play it however.

Arthea

shmup
. Was a ton of fun.

I liked it at start, but I learnt from this game that I hate dying that much, scratch that, I simply hate dying, that might be a reason why I don't want to play any of hundreds of roguelikes, procedural death labyrinths I own too.

I love achievements, but to be honest I love even more the odd Steam game that doesn't have them. That way I can focus on playing the game without worrying about some bullshit complete without dying/do some shit in online MP in this dead game/speedrun achievement. I've done some of those, too, but I've decided that it's not really worth it since I'd rather be playing another game.

That being said, Klei's excuses are complete bullshit. The PSN achievements for Don't Starve are pretty much perfect for the game, I don't see how adding one for unlocking each character dissuades people from exploring since they're probably going to read a guide anyways.

I don't like never-ending games like Don't Starve, and I really wouldn't boycott Klei for not adding them to their game... But saying that achievements clash with their vision is a blalant lie and a very poor excuse since they added them to the PSN version and for the most part they make perfect sense considering what they're going for.

Dr Dogg

Are there any hardware savvies around here at the moment?

There's a question I have since I installed my first and only powerful GPU ever and I never asked it because it really sound stupid, but still.

I have an Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC (3GB) and I'm happy with it, it runs my games fast and pretty and it never ever made the slightest noise.

And this is what makes me think there's something weird about it. :D

I mean, it works, it definitely works. I can max out games, and its fans spin (so, yeah, there's some noise, but it's barely noticeable).

My point is: when I play some games I actually CAN'T both max out and keep at 60fps stable (like recently, Max Payne 3, which in several parts dropped to somewhat stable, and perfectly playable, 45-50fps), my PD doesn't seem to behave any different.

I don't know, I've been using a MacBook Pro for years, and I'm used to hear the fans spinning like a chainsaw and the chassis raising to hellish temperatures, so I actually don't know what a proper PC is supposed to do when dealing with stuff too powerful for it.
And like this, it always seems that my PC is constantly high on weed while it could totally perform better. :D

stealth side question: if anyone has some tips and tricks I'm supposed to do to tweak my GPU performances, because really, I just wedged it in the correct motherboard slot and downloaded the proper drivers and GeForce Experience. :D

Some games you won't (not too sure about Max Payne 3 though as that gave me next to no trouble but I guess you have MSAA cranked up all the way which is a massive performance hit for very little visible gain over 4 samples). Black Flag for example requires a little tinkering to get it to run at 60 and even with 2 780's there are sections that will pull me down to 55.

Personally I'd say GeForce Experience is kind of like babies first tuning tool. Sure it has been tested and tested but sometimes it's a little off. It's worth putting the time in to learn what effects are in terms of performance cost and if you can't 'max' a game out what you can live without. Go grab something like MSI Afterburner and have the OSD running to show the GPU load. It will be in % so when you start adjusting things in game take a not of how much it cost in %. I'd start but putting everything to the minimum settings and the set your screen resolution to you monitors and go up from there. Does the game have multiple AA option? Test them out one at a time and see how many extra % you need. Likewise with any other graphical option, test and test and test. You can also monitor you CPU load whilst in game to get an idea if that's what holding you back.

PC Gamer did a nice little intro article as to what different graphics options can mean and about their impact that might serve as a great primer for you and anyone else dipping there toes in.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-graphics-options-explained/

Tellaerin

edit: Tellaerin, you say they are not "in game" but they are in game. You do something in the game, and the game then displays that you did. It's in the programming. Where does the game end and real life begin? The achievements in Risk of Rain are in game, and by doing those achievements (and getting the little badge to pop into your GAME and its associated account) give you unlockables in game... so how are acheivements not a part of the game? you cannot have an achievement for a game without the game existing in the first place, and employing those within its programming framework.

Maybe I should have been more specific. When I say "achievements", I'm talking about Steam/PSN/XBL-style achievements, the ones that offer nothing for completing them outside of an acknowledgment that you did complete them. Something like the achievements in RoR, I can understand - you're actually earning tangible rewards in the game by accomplishing certain things. That kind of thing is great, IMO. Having Steam achievements tied to those in-game unlocks is neither here nor there for me. If those unlocks weren't there and my only reward was the game telling me, "Hey, you did [thing]," I wouldn't go out of my way to do them. To me, that's not very inspiring.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I was actually running on balanced. I even checked it months ago and I just saw "balanced" or "power saver", not noticing the tiny arrow needed to show "additional plans", like, you know, "high performance". :D
Let's see if this will change anything.

Meanwhile, I tried turning the fans to 100% with Inspector, and it's actually pretty noisy. A noise I honestly NEVER heard before.
Anyway, right now it says GPU Load 6 or 7%, I'm gonna try to run Max Payne 3 monitoring it to see what happens.

Thank you! :)

Ohh, sounds like you're looking at CPU options. Those are good to change, but you specifically want GPU options. For those, you open up NVIDIA Control panel and go Manage 3D Settings > Power management mode > Performance.

Yakkue

I think the art style is endearing, but someone on GAF mentioned that the game was deceptively difficult. I have kept it in mind, but I have finished other less challenging titles in the interim. Once I have a long strech of time to appreciate what the developer intended I want to play it however.

It is difficult, but so so satisfying once you get it right. If you are completely against the idea of trial and error and lots and lots of deaths you can't prevent, then I can't recommend it. That game basically revolves around failing and learning from your mistakes. I really enjoyed how varied the stages and boss fights were, and how in hindsight the solutions to most of the problems just seem so obvious and easy, but they still took me ages to figure out. There are speedruns of the whole game on Youtube where they only took 12 minutes to complete the game. It took me ~5 hours ;)

I liked it at start, but I learnt from this game that I hate dying that much, scratch that, I simply hate dying, that might be a reason why I don't want to play any of hundreds of roguelikes, procedural death labyrinths I own too.
Yeah, if you hate dying, that game isn't for you. I think I had about 400 deaths by the end (I'm really bad at it).

Divius

I have a 25% off voucher for the Alien Isolation Season Pass at GMG

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM

I'm probably not the only one who got this, but eh.

derExperte

Yeah, the hate against Origins confused me too. It's great.

It's a glitchy mess, all the patches didn't help. In my first hours I had to reload saves because an event didn't trigger, I couldn't open a door (seems to happen quite often), Bats got stuck in a loop during a cutscene, enemies in a corner....

Also the traversal is terribly slow, they shouldn't have made the city bigger than in City.

dex3108

From my understand "we" only hate Klei since they don't care about giving PC gamers achievements. But gave PS4 gamers achievements after they accepted a bag of money from Sony

To be on PS Store you need to have achievements. Klei didn't want to have them but for game to be released on PS that needed to put them there. I am fine with that.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
From my understand "we" only hate Klei since they don't care about giving PC gamers achievements. But gave PS4 gamers achievements after they accepted a bag of money from Sony

My inside sources claim Sony and MS are pressuring developers to keep achievments away from steam. They say achievments are more important to gamers than all the ps combined.

what was that super sekrit pc exclusive that ign vladivostok or something was teasing ?

edit : and by the way any news on the way of the samurai 4 port ? that game looked really good, it's supposed to be released this year
and also : kf2 when
bannerlord when
mgs5 when

Tellaerin

That argument works for RPGs, but what about games where the reward is the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge? Are you arguing that any and all games that don't give loot or unlockable skins or whatever are all exercises in pointlessness? Is 90% of gaming history useless because you can't get a +15 Sword of Ultimate Death in Pac-Man?

I mean, you sound like an achievement junkie with slightly different parameters. It's all addiction to easily understood rewards; some people like a little badge on their profile and you like that +15 Sword.

I like that +15 sword because it's more than just a virtual signboard saying I performed some arbitrary task. I've earned something with a practical use within the game - thanks to this item, I can fight tougher monsters and progress further. What can I do in the game with an achievement?

And what I was getting at with regard to achievements is that I don't really need them to feel a sense of accomplishment. If I decide I want to take down a boss without getting hit and I manage to pull it off, for example, I know what I did, and I'll take satisfaction from that. If doing it will earn me something useful or fun in the game, even better. Whether or not doing it will unlock an icon on my Steam profile doesn't have a bearing on my satisfaction (or lack of it).

How is it not in-universe just because the list is viewable in the Steam application? You still have to go to the town Ravenwood and perform a certain task, it's just that the instruction is an achievement instead of a note on the ground.

The note exists in the context of the game's story, the task you're given is being handed out as part of the game's story, and the information in the note will typically have some bearing on the game's plot.

In the case of achievements, the task is an arbitrary one given to the player outside of the game setting, and there's no tangible reward for it in universe (you may earn experience or something in the process of killing 1000 orcs or what have you, but the task doesn't specifically have a particular in-game reward attached to completing it). So yeah, I think they're pretty different.

And how is the XP you mentioned earlier also not just a confirmation of something you already know you did? Why is one reward supposedly better than another? They all trigger the same shit in your brain.

Like with the earlier example you mentioned, earned XP has a tangible effect in the game. Your character becomes more powerful, more capable, and new abilities open up for you. Achievements don't really offer the player anything meaningful within the scope of the game proper.

Chariot

Ok, I think I get were the communication problem lies. You guys are alienated of my use of penises, because you apparently connect it to something negative. But when I talk about penises I talk about something wonderful. Penises are a wonderful thing, I myself have a penis which I like very much. Very much. It's part of me in body and soul. I empowers me to pee effectively at walls, relieve my earthly desires and is always with me. The penis is still needed as a part to create life.

An e-penis is nothing bad. The term is as itself neutral in my opinion. It's just that it can - similar to an ego - get out of hand and is used at that point as negative, e.g. if somebody shoves his e-penis into your throat. But it's generally neither bad to have an ego, nor a penis nor an e-penis. An e-penis is representation of the pride one has. It's not negative at it's root.

Penises are great and everyone should enjoy them as they see fit. Don't feel attacked when I talk about penises, I don't think badly of them.

Shadownet

Banned
I feel like sometimes achievements make me not wanna finish some games because I know some people will look at me and be like "pschhh he can't even get that achievement? Loser."

For example the trophy for beating Kingdom Hearts in less than 15 hours make me think. Why do they need a trophy for that? If someone wanna do a speedrun, fine. But don't punish those of us who wanna 100% the game but wanna play the game to our enjoyment.

If they wanna speedrun it, cool. Just don't make trophy out of it.

But that was when I used to care about trophies. Playing games is rewarding enough as it is, and if you wanna set extra challenges for yourself, it would be more meaningful than some challenges a random person assigned you. Plus it would be better for people who was like me. Oh I only got 98% of the achievements because the last one is impossible to get now since its either super hard or its actually impossible to get it for some reason.

I know there is this boxing game where one of the achievement is impossible to get since the servers are now offline.

Penis Rant
But do you share? That's the most important question. If you like it so much, you should share your joy with the world.

Ozium

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310990/

Man in a Maze: Deathmatch (previously greenlit, was this one of the mystery games? dunno) is out on Steam today...

I already got my key from lazyguysbundle, waiting to be unlocked on steam... I believe it was in a Groupees bundle also.. Keys should be available...

also Bik got greenlit and came out yesterday, was in groupees remute's retro bundle, was this another of the hidden greenlit games from the past week or two? inquiring minds want to know..

bik store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/325160/

Copons

Ohh, sounds like you're looking at CPU options. Those are good to change, but you specifically want GPU options. For those, you open up NVIDIA Control panel and go Manage 3D Settings > Power management mode > Performance.

Ah yes, it was set to adaptive, changed to max performance. Thanks again!

Some games you won't (not too sure about Max Payne 3 though as that gave me next to no trouble but I guess you have MSAA cranked up all the way which is a massive performance hit for very little visible gain over 4 samples). Black Flag for example requires a little tinkering to get it to run at 60 and even with 2 780's there are sections that will pull me down to 55.

Personally I'd say GeForce Experience is kind of like babies first tuning tool. Sure it has been tested and tested but sometimes it's a little off. It's worth putting the time in to learn what effects are in terms of performance cost and if you can't 'max' a game out what you can live without. Go grab something like MSI Afterburner and have the OSD running to show the GPU load. It will be in % so when you start adjusting things in game take a not of how much it cost in %. I'd start but putting everything to the minimum settings and the set your screen resolution to you monitors and go up from there. Does the game have multiple AA option? Test them out one at a time and see how many extra % you need. Likewise with any other graphical option, test and test and test. You can also monitor you CPU load whilst in game to get an idea if that's what holding you back.

PC Gamer did a nice little intro article as to what different graphics options can mean and about their impact that might serve as a great primer for you and anyone else dipping there toes in.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-graphics-options-explained/

Yeah, I don't remember exactly what kind of AA I'm using in MP3, but I'm sure it's the highest available. :D

I tried to let GeForce Experience tweak the games for me but the couple of times I did it, I wasn't totally happy with the results, so I just said fuck it, I'm going to crank everything up and go down from there until I'm fine with the framerate. :D
I'll read that article asap, but mostly out of curiosity, because I really can't see me trying thousands of configurations as you're suggesting. Sadly, after 20 years or so of console gaming, I can't just switch back to my PC past. :D

Anyway, I guess MP3 isn't really the best benchmark tool ever, as it often switch to scripted scenes at 30fps, and as it's everything in-engine, whenever it goes from game to cinematic there is a little moment where the framerate adjustes itself. Also, according to GeForce Experience, menus run at 1500-3000 fps.

Still, Inspector log is this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VJkumZQS3s-skSK243bQi5oVEY2JgiaOl92VXFfdmfY/edit?usp=sharing
Values are all over the map, but I can see that loads rarely goes above 90%, fan speed is stable around 55% and temps goes from 55 to 65 °C. Also there are clock fluctuations which I did not expect (I thought clock was something fixed).
There is no framerate log, but let's say that it was mostly between 40 and 50, with peaks at 60 and lows at 30s during some cutscenes.
All in all, even if I don't know shit about this kind of numbers, it all sounds kinda normal. :D

I'm really bummed that I've finished the Evil Within now. It was the last big game I had pre-ordered so now it's back to the backlog. Of course the biggest thing is there won't be another game that feels like it for a long time, Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space came out so long ago ;-;

Arthea

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310990/

Man in a Maze: Deathmatch (previously greenlit, was this one of the mystery games? dunno) is out on Steam today...

I already got my key from lazyguysbundle, waiting to be unlocked on steam... I believe it was in a Groupees bundle also.. Keys should be available...

also Bik got greenlit and came out yesterday, was in groupees remute's retro bundle, was this another of the hidden greenlit games from the past week or two? inquiring minds want to know..

bik store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/325160/

as you ask so nicely, ya Bik was one of those games, while Man in a Maze seems have been from the old batch.

Also update. there were 6 more games greenlit yesterday-today, again we don't know which ones.

edited: I'm afraid to ask, but it's time to be daring! what's MMD?

Ozium

I'm really bummed that I've finished the Evil Within now. It was the last big game I had pre-ordered so now it's back to the backlog. Of course the biggest thing is there won't be another game that feels like it for a long time, Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space came out so long ago ;-;

Do you have Alien?

it's really really good.

not as action focused as those titles listed, though, clearly

also you can always wait until itagaki's secret wii u goty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom