• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predator could be done if you have pools of cold mud around that you could cover yourself in, of course it would disappear over time for some reason to keep up the tension... that or create some malarkey about a suit you wear... though maybe I'm remembering the movie wrong and the predator still sees cold things that are moving...
But how can you deal with an enemy who can turn invisible at whim, has tons of high tech gadgetry (+ alien dogs)? I imagine it should have some great stealth mechanics for the player just to evade the predator. All I want is AHNOLD at his best curbstomping an extraterrestial...
I've said it a thousand times: far cry 3 was almost perfect for a predator game.

It needs to happen.
I think I'll wait for far cry 4 before stating this. Although far cry 3 could be enough just with the right mods.

FloatOn

Far cry 3 was also great for a dinosaur game.
Instead Ubisoft game us Kryat.

The 360 and OG Xbox games were the closest thing to a predator game.

I'm still holding a candle for the dinosaur game dreams are made of as well.

Hopefully Jurrasic World drums up some interest. Or bish can do his thing and put something out.

Jawmuncher

Only experience I have with Lovecraft is some graphic novel where a character was raped by a Murlock thing. Not even joking and I'm still not sure what the hell it was. The oddest book I've ever found in the chapels free store during deployment.

I'm still holding a candle for the dinosaur game dreams are made of as well.

Hopefully Jurrasic World drums up some interest. Or bish can do his thing and put something out.

Would be cool if he got another dinosaur game off the ground in some form.

Knurek

Hey, Ubisoft, you like money don't you?
How about contracting Traveler's Tales and having them made LEGO Assassin's Creed game? Or Sumo Digital and Ubisoft Racing Transformed?
I'm sure both would be way cheaper to make, would not require 1k+ people working in 7 different studios, and would sell greatly.

Ozium

Question: Why must Dinosaur games depict them as things to fear? Why can't I have an herbivore Dinosaur game?

Better yet, why can't we have Tokyo Jungle: Dinosaur edition... pick your dino, any of em, and try to survive against predators and nature...

throw in subtext about the futility of life, entropy and the eventual extinction that every species, not just our dinosaur friends, face... GOTY material here.

Lego AssCreed would be the ultimate collectathon.

Lego AssCreed: Soul Suspect 64

Jawmuncher

Question: Why must Dinosaur games depict them as things to fear? Why can't I have an herbivore Dinosaur game?

Better yet, why can't we have Tokyo Jungle: Dinosaur edition... pick your dino, any of em, and try to survive against predators and nature...

throw in subtext about the futility of life, entropy and the eventual extinction that every species, not just our dinosaur friends, face... GOTY material here.

Lego AssCreed: Soul Suspect 64

Herbivores can still be territorial.

Ozium

Herbivores can still be territorial.

but they wont hunt you if you're minding your own business..

they won't hunt you down becaues of hunger..

some herbivores are fucking assholes though, like hippos

See: hippopotamus.

yep.. hippos are jerks.. and yet they are depicted in popular culture as like cute little things and we let children play as them gobbling up marbles... when in reality hippos are thugs

#nomorehippoapologists

Arthea

so you are saying that to be trampled is better than eaten?
Tokyo Jungle on steam pls!

That's a big reason why I skipped it, Origins looked like City 2.0 and I wasn't really feeling more of the same. I loved City don't get me wrong though.

I've been waiting for Knight, hoping they do some different stuff with it.

Fair enough. I can see how playing one first might make the other look less exciting in comparison but I'm pretty impressed by WB Montreal's first effort, even though it's largely based on City. Curious to see what they work on next.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
yep.. hippos are jerks.. and yet they are depicted in popular culture as like cute little things and we let children play as them gobbling up marbles... when in reality hippos are thugs

#nomorehippoapologists

#NotAllHippos

Now I want to play a game like this -_-

Haunted

The Thing would be great. Hopefully they could base it on the amazing Pingu's 'The Thing'

9NFfU2E.gif
haha classic pingu

Arthea

http://i.imgur.com/HbBryGu.jpg[/IMG

FFVI, iOS version. They killed this game. Seriously, why don't make a simple 1:1 port, simply adding pad support, cloud and achievements?
This "new" graphics is worst then the original one, there's no point in doing a remake that looks so bad.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely not happy how they treated FF5 and especially FF6, but old graphics are pretty bad at this age and resolutions are super low, also both games didn't ran all that well, so remakes were needed.
I will still buy ports on steam if released.

HbBryGu.jpg

FFVI, iOS version. They killed this game. Seriously, why don't make a simple 1:1 port, simply adding pad support, cloud and achievements?
This "new" graphics is worst then the original one, there's no point in doing a remake that looks so bad.

Are those scroll bars on the attack commands?

giphy.gif

Deques

I'm definitely not happy how they treated FF5 and especially FF6, but old graphics are pretty bad at this age and resolutions are super low, also both games didn't ran all that well, so remakes were needed.
I will still buy ports on steam if released.

At least the graphics is much better than the smartphone port...

Alavard

HbBryGu.jpg

This "new" graphics is worst then the original one, there's no point in doing a remake that looks so bad.

It's too bad as there are a couple of graphics here and there I like from that version. The enemy they're facing in that screenshot, for example, looks pretty good. And the background looks all right too. But damn, those character sprites... Especially Gau. That is a terrible Gau.

And that new battle command layout... ugh.

Arthea

What?
FFV and VI runs very good on SNES. Also they could increase resolution easily, and still the game would look better then this remake.

Can't agree with you here, how long ago you played a game? It certainly doesn't look much better, increased res or no. Or are you talking about art style? If yes, then I agree it was better.
Also I was talking about performance of PS1 ports, as I don't have SNES for a long time already, but I tried to replay PS ports and it was... painful.

Li Kao

Can't agree with you here, how long ago you played a game? It certainly doesn't look much better, increased res or no. Or are you talking about art style? If yes, then I agree it was better.
Also I was talking about performance of PS1 ports, as I don't have SNES for a long time already, but I tried to replay PS ports and it was... painful.

Well, the ps1 port is notoriously shit.

HbBryGu.jpg

I'm not going to lie, if we get this version on Steam I'll probably buy it. :/

Copons

FF6 on PS1 was painful indeed.

Sadly I've only tried the SNES version via emulators, but let me say that upscaling with a nearest neighbour algorithm (or some other scaling algorithm used in emulators) would result in prettier visuals and, more importantly, it would stay truer to the original graphics.

Arthea

I completed both games full ages ago, SNES.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGNskqYu2_0

it looks very good to me.

watch that in full screen mode, you'll see what I mean. ;)

FF6 on PS1 was painful indeed.

Sadly I've only tried the SNES version via emulators, but let me say that upscaling with a nearest neighbour algorithm (or some other scaling algorithm used in emulators) would result in prettier visuals and, more importantly, it would stay truer to the original graphics.

you can't upscale what isn't there, character models have very little detail because of hardware limits of that time. As I said, I tried to replay PS1 versions and I'm not too sensible to graphics too, as many of you are, and I still thought it looked really bad. It certainly looked better in my memory (><)

Jawmuncher

yep.. hippos are jerks.. and yet they are depicted in popular culture as like cute little things and we let children play as them gobbling up marbles... hippos are thugs

But still for example if you were traversing a open world and ran into some triceratops. It could be a bad day if they think you're a threat.
A good dinosaur game would have ideal AI depending on if they're a carnivore or Herbivore.

RS4-

What region is Nuuvem anyways that is can be constantly that cheap?

Brazil.

I guess with this region locking stuff, I better do something with these leftover keys.

edit - lol even more FF 33 problems, every single word is underlined in red as if they're spelling mistakes.

Grief.exe

Square could have created high-resolution sprites that were either based on the original artwork or the original sprites.

I see the iOS port as an abomination, but I would probably buy it anyway as I love FFVI.

Copons

No, it shouldn't work that way.

I made this super simple comparison, made in 5 minutes and with a random FF6 screenshot
took from a pixel art related site - I don't know if it is the original SNES resolution, but it doesn't really matter

I've enlarged the original screen using two different algorithms, both available in Photoshop.
Without going into technical details, the bicubic one is the one used on YouTube, basically because it's better for everything except pixel art. (I guess the concept is similar to the anti aliasing one, but don't quote me on this :p )

Pixel art, when resized, looks way better with nearest neighbor, which doesn't "guess" what halftone it should use between two colors, but just enlarge the pixel (so like, a single pixel from the original is now a 4x4 square).

If I get XCOM Enemy Within can I still play my current Enemy Unknown playthrough? is EW a separate campaign or does the gameplay from the base game change too?

Li Kao

Hmm, nope. Give me the fullscreen without youtube artifacts and I'm more than game.
I wonder why in the case of these extreme makeover the dev doesn't give the option to turn on 'Old graphics'. That way people that don't want the old pixel art and people the can't stand the makeover can enjoy the game. It's not a space problem as I doubt the original game would take much of a toll on the total size of the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom