• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

If I get XCOM Enemy Within can I still play my current Enemy Unknown playthrough? is EW a separate campaign or does the gameplay from the base game change too?

Also just to say, the 80% off voucher of course doesn't work with GMG credits. T_T

So, if anyone wants a GMG voucher granting 80% off XCOM Enemy Within... i'll garbage dump on modbot.

Also reposting this as it was the last post of the page:

watch that in full screen mode, you'll see what I mean. ;)

you can't upscale what isn't there, character models have very little detail because of hardware limits of that time. As I said, I tried to replay PS1 versions and I'm not too sensible to graphics too, as many of you are, and I still thought it looked really bad. It certainly looked better in my memory (><)

No, it shouldn't work that way.

I made this super simple comparison, made in 5 minutes and with a random FF6 screenshot
took from a pixel art related site - I don't know if it is the original SNES resolution, but it doesn't really matter

wtWUXjq.jpg

I've enlarged the original screen using two different algorithms, both available in Photoshop.
Without going into technical details, the bicubic one is the one used on YouTube, basically because it's better for everything except pixel art. (I guess the concept is similar to the anti aliasing one, but don't quote me on this :p )

Pixel art, when resized, looks way better with nearest neighbor, which doesn't "guess" what halftone it should use between two colors, but just enlarge the pixel (so like, a single pixel from the original is now a 4x4 square).

Grief.exe

If I get XCOM Enemy Within can I still play my current Enemy Unknown playthrough? is EW a separate campaign or does the gameplay from the base game change too?

Isn't EW considered DLC for EU? Going by Steam you need the base game to play it so it's not a completely separate game.

I haven't personally played the expansion yet, but if I recall you can completely ignore the content if you don't respond to the threat.

You can also manually turn off DLC content within Steam now, but this shouldn't be a problem.

Square could have created high-resolution sprites that were either based on the original artwork or the original sprites.

I see the iOS port as an abomination, but I would probably buy it anyway as I love FFVI.

The original artwork would be awesome. I scooped up the hardcover artbook collection when it was on a crazy sale from amazon (like 13 dollars) and overhauling any of the older games to look even closer to that would be amazing.

My issue with the iOS version is different. I grew up playing the originals, and re-played them on emulators some time later, so I'm not really looking to re-buy the original games on my phone. I'd be all for a high-resolution version.

The iOS one fails for me because it's not here and it's definitely not there. It wants to walk some weird middle ground with the graphical changes and ultimately comes off as a bad attempt at either.

Hey, Ubisoft, you like money don't you?
How about contracting Traveler's Tales and having them made LEGO Assassin's Creed game? Or Sumo Digital and Ubisoft Racing Transformed?
I'm sure both would be way cheaper to make, would not require 1k+ people working in 7 different studios, and would sell greatly.

I think it was in the SteamGAF chat, where we talked about "Assassin's Racer" for a bit. We came up with some fun ideas, but I think we came to the conclusion, that it wouldn't have enough characters to keep things interesting.

Isn't EW considered DLC for EU? Going by Steam you need the base game to play it so it's not a completely separate game.

I haven't personally played the expansion yet, but if I recall you can completely ignore the content if you don't respond to the threat.

You can also manually turn off DLC content within Steam now, but this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure, it might be like the Civ 5 DLC that actually change the base game content with new abilities and stuff, that's why I was asking.

Copons

If you don't care of playing XCOM:EU for a hour or through the tutorial... here you go.

Just remember that it doesn't work with GMG credits and, according to the Playfire email, it "expires on Friday 31st October 2014 at 23:59 UTC".

Also, it could be valid just for my account. I don't know, I don't care, it's a garbage dump, no harm done. :p

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

XCOM: Enemy Within (GMG 80% off voucher) -- MB-267AD80D322CF1A6 - Taken by Grief.exe

Li Kao

Square. How the mighty have fallen. Even on iOS they do a half assed work at best. Imagine my great pleasure to see yesterday after upgrading to iOS 8 that a good number of their games are now incompatible (not too surprising not scandalous) and that for some of them there is no plan for a fix (what ?!). Granted the game is Bloodmasque and it is certainly not the best seller in town, but a what, 2 years old game, no plan to fix ?

Knurek

I'm definitely not happy how they treated FF5 and especially FF6, but old graphics are pretty bad at this age and resolutions are super low, also both games didn't ran all that well, so remakes were needed.
I will still buy ports on steam if released.

Let me get back home and whip up how FF5 and FF6 should look like with proper resampling/filters. Then we will talk.

Annubis

You all sound like you've never played EW =/
When you start the game, you get a menu that asks you if you want to launch EU or EW.
You can still play the original game if you fancy it.

You all sound like you've never played EW =/
When you start the game, you get a menu that asks you if you want to launch EU or EW.
You can still play the original game if you fancy it.

Thanks ! Finally someone who knows his stuff ;)

Will buy it tomorrow on GMG.

BTW I have an extra 80% off coupon if someone wants it.

kionedrik

When you start the game you'll get a splash screen asking if you want to start the regular EU game or EW. So you'll be able to finish your current EW campaign even with EW installed.

Turfster

Gamersgate deals:
  • Darksiders Franchise Pack 80% off
  • Europa Universalis IV +17 DLCs 66% off

Newegg has Bioshock Franchise deals: first 2 games and Infinite 75% off, Burial at Sea 50% off, Season pass 33% off

Daily Indie Game has Glacier 3: The Meltdown for 1$

DocSeuss

So, anyone up for some Payday noob-only rounds as soon as the game goes free?

Uh, no. Because I am a 145er. More than happy to teach noobs how to play, though, since there's a lot to learn that they might not notice.

Wouldn't mind an Overdrill run too.

You literally get a launcher where you can pick which one you'd like to play.

Li Kao

Uh, no. Because I am a 145er. More than happy to teach noobs how to play, though, since there's a lot to learn that they might not notice.

Wouldn't mind an Overdrill run too.

You literally get a launcher where you can pick which one you'd like to play.

In what way would your level be detrimental ? Serious question, when I played the game some weeks ago I didn't mind some big boy joining the game ^_^

Amzin

FF6 has been my favorite game since I played it when it came out as FF3 here :p those graphics look god awful. I replay the game practically every year and I would take the original graphics in a heartbeat.

If it hits Steam, I'd want to buy it... but not sure I could with that look. Would rather just turn on my SNES or boot up a rom of it.

At least FFT probably won't be more abused getting ported around than it was going from PS to PSP (dat added slowdown)

Li Kao

FF6 has been my favorite game since I played it when it came out as FF3 here :p those graphics look god awful. I replay the game practically every year and I would take the original graphics in a heartbeat.

If it hits Steam, I'd want to buy it... but not sure I could with that look. Would rather just turn on my SNES or boot up a rom of it.

At least FFT probably won't be more abused getting ported around than it was going from PS to PSP (dat added slowdown)

Well the good news is that when they updated the graphics on the iOS version, Square also fixed the slowdowns. So if FFT would come to Steam, there is a good chance we would have the fixed version.

DocSeuss

In what way would your level be detrimental ? Serious question, when I played the game some weeks ago I didn't mind some big boy joining the game ^_^

My level would be awesome. But I was responding to a request for noobs, so I couldn't be all "yes hi I am a noob I would like to join you." Because I'm Superman.

Yeah, I've been hearing the same thing from other people... and I can't say I'm very surprised. Most* of the writing in Borderlands has never been anywhere near stellar or groundbreaking.

* and quite a few of those shining peaks of funny writing are made suspect by the sea of unfunny shit they are surrounded by. Are they actually funny, or were they just funnier than the groan-inducing hour of crap that had come before it? Some of it probably was actually funny, but... I wonder.

For a TV comparison: Gotham is a really stupid show, where every character seems to have the IQ of a sea sponge and the writers do some really inane things... but "at least it's better than Scorpion", which airs the same day and is so vile it can replace all the "never ever do this ever" warnings in film school and writing classes, so if you watch them both, Gotham comes out looking 'better'.

As nuts as it sounds, the game's script feels like it was written to impress someone who doesn't like dudes, or by someone who just doesn't like dudes and thinks women should run everything. Maybe that's not the case, but it's what it feels like. This isn't gender equality, this is just skewing things to the extreme in the opposite direction of the norm.

Borderlands 2 didn't feel like this. It felt like a game where the writer was into tubgirls.

Jawmuncher

Well the good news is that when they updated the graphics on the iOS version, Square also fixed the slowdowns. So if FFT would come to Steam, there is a good chance we would have the fixed version.

Playing FFT on my phone is horrible it's just too small.

------

I have a extra 80% off code for Enemy Within if someone needs it

Li Kao

My level would be awesome. But I was responding to a request for noobs, so I couldn't be all "yes hi I am a noob I would like to join you." Because I'm Superman.

Oh, ok. Yeah the user level is quite important in the game. High level kevlar can take quite a beating. Well that's what I noticed in ghost mode :O

Parsnip

I saw the talk about achievements from earlier and it got me thinking, what's the most annoying achievement I've gone out of my way to do...

It's gotta be Treasure Trove in Lost Odyssey. Gotta open all treasure chests in the game, pain in the butt.

iosefe

High resolution iPad version or bust

#IvaliceHD

Anteater

I saw the talk about achievements from earlier and it got me thinking, what's the most annoying achievement I've gone out of my way to do...

It's gotta be Treasure Trove in Lost Odyssey. Gotta open all treasure chests in the game, pain in the butt.

I don't think I ever got that, my gamerscore was like 980 or something when I was done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom