• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alavard

So recently I've been playing RAGE. I bought it a year or two ago on some Steam sale or another, and had put it down back then after ~30 min. I'm actually enjoying it now though.

The texture pop-in is still abysmal (you turn your view and anything new in your vision can have the super-low quality texture for up to a second before the proper texture appears on it). But other than that, the game is surprisingly fun. Anyone else have positive experiences with RAGE?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So recently I've been playing RAGE. I bought it a year or two ago on some Steam sale or another, and had put it down back then after ~30 min. I'm actually enjoying it now though.

The texture pop-in is still abysmal (you turn your view and anything new in your vision can have the super-low quality texture for up to a second before the proper texture appears on it). But other than that, the game is surprisingly fun. Anyone else have positive experiences with RAGE?

Loved the sewer levels in particular. Wingsticks + shotgun = bliss. I ought to give the game another whirl and take the opportunity to play through the DLC.

xBladeM6x

I just watched this weird ass trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrX7G-1xPLs

Looks like Postal in UE4... getting banned for sure.

It looks honestly fun, but really disturbing in a sense.
I'm sure every news media outlet will blame this for the next mass murder.
Also, I'm sure people won't give them credit for having this on their front page. "...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)".

Anteater

I liked it for the first 6-7hrs, liked the shooting and although the vehicles stuff aren't as good as I wanted, I thought it's ok and were decent distractions. I played it on a free weekend and bought it on a sale but never got back to it. I guess the free weekend kind of pushed me to play it but now I just left it in my backlog, also a bit lazy to figure out how to get rid of the pop-ins again, but I remember there were some configs that could make it better.

DocSeuss

I love the game to pieces. One of my favorites, despite the pop-in. Glad Carmack admitted he shouldn't have developed for PS3.

Kiru

Isn't it awful or something? I remember there was some drama about that game.

Dunno, game is not really bad. People just hated that there was no save & load thing and no offline I think, something like that. My only problem with the game is that it is essentially who builds and rushes the opponents base faster. Like you are constantly in a hurry and get annoyed by small attacks from everywhere.

Vlad

Why the hell haven't I heard anybody talk about this one? Randomly installed it and Im so much making a video of it. Fantastic game!

Ohhhh, that looks interesting.

Dunno, game is not really bad. People just hated that there was no save & load thing and no offline I think, something like that. My only problem with the game is that it is essentially who builds and rushes the opponents base faster. Like you are constantly in a hurry and get annoyed by small attacks from everywhere.

Isn't that pretty much how all RTS games work, really? I haven't played many since the old Starcraft and Total Annihilation days, but I seem to recall that turtling was never really a viable strategy. Whoever spread out the most, gathered the most resources, and harassed the other player(s) better won.

Tizoc

So this just got rated for PC
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33508&Title=ef - a fairy tale of the two

This is a visual novel/adventure game in which players follow the story of a young couple discussing the events of their lives. Players follow along with the story and make decisions at key points in order to further the plot. The game includes several scenes dealing with sexuality and sexual assault: one still-frame scene depicts a male character forcibly kissing a woman and touching her genitals (e.g., dialogue includes her saying “no” and telling him that his actions are hurting her); dialogue also goes into detail about instances of sexual assault (e.g., “She struggled to get away. I wouldn't let her. My shoulder and free hand holding her down wouldn't permit it”; “That night, I was raped many, many times . . . Blood and semen mingled down there.”). Animated still-frame images sometimes depict sexual activity: acts of fellatio, with male genitals partially obscured; sexual intercourse with exposed breasts and genitalia partially obscured. Several scenes include prolonged audio of sexual moaning. A handful of scenes depict characters with blood stains on their hands, underwear, and genitals. The word “f**k appears in dialogue.

derExperte

has offline now btw

kurahador

Isn't that pretty much how all RTS games work, really? I haven't played many since the old Starcraft and Total Annihilation days, but I seem to recall that turtling was never really a viable strategy. Whoever spread out the most, gathered the most resources, and harassed the other player(s) better won.

It still is in Starcraft II.

Alavard

Loved the sewer levels in particular. Wingsticks + shotgun = bliss. I ought to give the game another whirl and take the opportunity to play through the DLC.

I knew I couldn't be crazy and be the only one enjoying the wingsticks so much. And I love being able to carry more than the modern FPS standard of two weapons at a time.

Kiru

I like these quotes from the Eurogamer Review (6/10 btw):
There are two games tucked away in Planetary Annihilation. The colourful one comprising its opening hour, full of variety and promise, and what it actually is: players racing to draw the quickest, ugliest lines through all of its content.
All of which is an underwhelming challenge to try and master and it's unpleasant to be on the receiving end of it, with tiny little groups of units ceaselessly raiding your handiwork. After being burned once when the AI took out my main power plant, I got into the habit of having fabricators building an unending string of power plants on multiple planets, just so my teleporters and factories would stay online. The entire game is like this. Strategy takes a backseat to speed, efficiency and swarming your opponents.

Tizoc

Dev: Winter Wolves.

You guess... ;)

My thoughts on the game now-
iDsZ2mIPn84tX.gif

I have it on ps3. Its a decent game at first but it really starts to get to you after like 5 or 6 hours of doing the same exact shit over and over again. I didn't finish it, I got my moneys worth out or it(got it for $12 new), wasn't worth beating. Apparently it doesn't even have a proper ending

Looks like if I preorder Groupees bundles I get repeats, and if I don't they put up nice things.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

KONUNG 2 -- MB-3B8EDA24B8AD3F32 - Taken by Ruruja. 2 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-95813905FC539640 - Taken by 19Kilo. 1 entrants total.
KONUNG 3: TIES OF THE DYNASTY -- MB-1204C9BD674C80EB - Taken by Knurek. 2 entrants total.

t1413483972z1.png

Copons

Yesterday night I've finished Max Payne 3 and, consequently, my first-time-MP-marathon started a couple of weeks ago or something.

I hated MP1 and some of you hated me for this reason.
But I'm sure it's just because you played some kind of lame ass censored German version.
So, gunplay was shit, level design was in the best case just ok, story was fun, those motherfucking faces people have in that game omfg, some scary shit.
Mostly, though, I hated it because it was just unfair. I'm not a skilled gamer, but I've not problem admitting it. I did in Dark Souls, I constantly do in CS:GO. It is true, I'm slow and dumb. But this was not the case of MP1. MP1 puts people armed with instakill shotgun behind every single fucking door of the game. I've never retried a game so much except maybe some of the latter levels of Bit Trip Runner.

Oh well.

Luckily, I loved Max Payne 2.
Like, a lot. I said GOTY, but then I checked and that year was basically the most important year in modern gaming ever, and I still think the GOTY back then was Zelda WW so fuck MP2. But I'm derailing.
MP2 has a super satisfying gunplay, a perfect overall design and MOSTLY there are not a single nightmare level where you have to walk on an invisible path, such fan trolololo fuck off remedy i hate you.
Graphics still hold up, pacing is great and levels are awesome. I really couldn't ask for more.

And finally Max Payne 3.
I can understand if fans of the first games had some complaints about it.
Yes, it violates a couple of the best-established concepts of the MP series; yes, the action is too frequently interrupted by too many and too long cutescens; but... who cares?
The game is incredibly fun to play. Everything it aims to achieve, it achieves flawlessly.
There is a great amount of diverse locations, a great amount of diverse situations, a great amount of diverse choices you are forced to make almost instantly to turn a shootout in your favor.
I guess my only complaint would really be some technicalities, but, again, who cares?

tl;dr

Code:
MP1 [SPOILER]_5[/SPOILER]/10
MP2 [SPOILER]10[/SPOILER]/10
MP3 [SPOILER]_9[/SPOILER]/10

EDIT: of course, all votes are overblown due to the sheer badassery of Max Payne himself

Turfster

MP2 has a super satisfying gunplay, a perfect overall design and MOSTLY there are not a single nightmare level where you have to walk on an invisible path, such fan trolololo fuck off rockstar i hate you.
Graphics still hold up, pacing is great and levels are awesome. I really couldn't ask for more.

MP1 & 2 were Remedy, not R*
Just saying.

Luckily, I loved Max Payne 2.
Like, a lot. I said GOTY, but then I checked and that year was basically the most important year in modern gaming ever, and I still think the GOTY back then was Zelda WW so fuck MP2. But I'm derailing.
MP2 has a super satisfying gunplay, a perfect overall design and MOSTLY there are not a single nightmare level where you have to walk on an invisible path, such fan trolololo fuck off remedy i hate you.

My thoughts exactly. Max Payne 2 is the GOAT and still holds up well. The gunplay is so satisfying.

Jawmuncher

What does "otome" mean? I would search it, but I'm at work and thus a bit worried.

story based video game that is targeted towards a female market. Generally one of the goals, besides the main plot goal, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female player character and one of several male, or occasionally female characters.

Deitus

I like these quotes from the Eurogamer Review (6/10 btw):

I've found that professional reviews of RTSs from big gaming sites, much like Fighting Games and MMOs (and probably a few other genres I'm leaving out) are largely useless. They are games that necessitate a degree of mastery and dedication to actually understand how all of the mechanics fit together, and reviewers are by and large content tourists, or at the very least have a very limited time with which to experience a game before delivering a verdict. In these cases, a more specialized reviewer, who doesn't have to worry about embargo dates, is going to deliver a more thorough analysis.

But then I'm no RTS expert, and I have no idea of the credentials of the guy who wrote the Eurogamer review.

No, it shouldn't work that way.

I made this super simple comparison, made in 5 minutes and with a random FF6 screenshot
took from a pixel art related site - I don't know if it is the original SNES resolution, but it doesn't really matter

I've enlarged the original screen using two different algorithms, both available in Photoshop.
Without going into technical details, the bicubic one is the one used on YouTube, basically because it's better for everything except pixel art. (I guess the concept is similar to the anti aliasing one, but don't quote me on this :p )

Pixel art, when resized, looks way better with nearest neighbor, which doesn't "guess" what halftone it should use between two colors, but just enlarge the pixel (so like, a single pixel from the original is now a 4x4 square).

I'm quite partial to the rgb filter in ZSNES as you get a more authentic blurring like you would have gotten on a crt. But maybe that's nostalgia goggles.

I've found that professional reviews of RTSs from big gaming sites, much like Fighting Games and MMOs (and probably a few other genres I'm leaving out) are largely useless. They are games that necessitate a degree of mastery and dedication to actually understand how all of the mechanics fit together, and reviewers are by and large content tourists, or at the very least have a very limited time with which to experience a game before delivering a verdict. In these cases, a more specialized reviewer, who doesn't have to worry about embargo dates, is going to deliver a more thorough analysis.

But then I'm no RTS expert, and I have no idea of the credentials of the guy who wrote the Eurogamer review.

The Planetary Annihilation developers slapped 1.0 on their game (in spite of it not being "complete") and then launched a Kickstarter for a new game. They have said they'll finish PA, but I mean, come on... that's just bad form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom