• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadGear

So recently I've been playing RAGE. I bought it a year or two ago on some Steam sale or another, and had put it down back then after ~30 min. I'm actually enjoying it now though.

The texture pop-in is still abysmal (you turn your view and anything new in your vision can have the super-low quality texture for up to a second before the proper texture appears on it). But other than that, the game is surprisingly fun. Anyone else have positive experiences with RAGE?

Haven't played it yet (still on my wishlist) but I guess that is one of the drawbacks to virtual Textures Carmack couldn't resolve in time (do Wolfenstein and TEW still have this issue?). Wouldn't be surprised if this is still an issue even with way more VRAM because this is probably due to the texture management adding some latency, using a higher level mip maps for unavailable texture pages until it frees some less used pages and adding the desired ones at the right mip map level. Could be wrong though.

Anyway, just bought TEW and will be able to find out myself ... once the download finishes :>

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Zoo Park -- MB-A24117DD9E95E2B3 - Taken by louiedog
Haegemonia Double Pack -- MB-832554CF9595777E - Taken by 7Sins
Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars -- MB-EFFD00B9A3663D9D - Taken by MillionStabs
Battleplan: American Civil War -- MB-EBADEC0332672115 - Taken by Aitor
Fate: The Traitor Soul -- MB-311EF5C84879F0C8 - Taken by swx
Post Master -- MB-7815FA52B1AC16D9 - Taken by darkchewie
Nicole (Otome Version) Deluxe Edition -- MB-C8A59CB2DD12756C - Taken by Turfster

rtcn63

I'd replay RE4, 5, Uncharted, TR, and even Gears over MP3. One time is enough, that entire game was a travesty. The gunplay was alright, but nothing special if you've played other modern TPS.

Deitus

The Planetary Annihilation developers slapped 1.0 on their game (in spite of it not being "complete") and then launched a Kickstarter for a new game. They have said they'll finish PA, but I mean, come on... that's just bad form.

Oh yeah, I wasn't talking about the state of PA. I've heard some shady stuff there, so I'm definitely not going to defend it.

I was more addressing the comments they had on the game balance. Every RTS game is going to seem like a rush fest if you are taking your time to meticulously build up a base, while your opponent is rapidly expanding and building an army to crush you with. That doesn't make it devoid of strategy. The strategy is in how you manage your time and resources, as much as it is in unit placement. Especially the line about the game rewarding the player who "drew the quickest line through the content" was puzzling, because RTSs are focused on mastery rather than content.

Perhaps PA is less strategic than most games, but I wouldn't trust most reviewers to know the difference.

Copons

Maybe it was because I played it on the three-shitty with a fucking controller, but it felt flat and lifeless to me.
*shrug*
To each his own.

Well, I tried playing it with a controller before going back to m/kb and - at least the first chapter - sucked hard, even though seeing how they mapped the key on the keyboard it kinda seems like they developed with a controller in their mind (G to roll? G? wth is this, a spaceship simulator that I have to go all the way to G?).

Anyway, I guess the actual gunplay is satisfying, but the main issue is that every time you start to feel badass yourself there is a cutscene breaking the badassery.

I can understand why they decided to fragment so much the gameplay (both from a narrative and a technical standpoint - considering that cutscenes "cover" ALL the game loadings), but it was in fact a huge buzzkill.

MP2 was more satisfying in this sense also because you could run and gun for minutes without interruptions.

Jawmuncher

I played all of MP3 with a controller.
Loved every second of it. Like I said I had the easy aim on though.
Which was similar to Red Dead where you would just snap onto enemies.

The Planetary Annihilation developers slapped 1.0 on their game (in spite of it not being "complete") and then launched a Kickstarter for a new game. They have said they'll finish PA, but I mean, come on... that's just bad form.

It doesn't seem unfinished. The game isn't all that fun compared to TA or even Supreme commander but it seems feature complete. I know the promised DRM free version never showed up. Is that the missing feature?

Knurek

HbBryGu.jpg

FFVI, iOS version. They killed this game. Seriously, why don't make a simple 1:1 port, simply adding pad support, cloud and achievements?
This "new" graphics is worst then the original one, there's no point in doing a remake that looks so bad.

Hey, Square Enix, listen up, here's how you scale a low-res picture.

Let's look at our exhibits, A is from town, B is from battle screen:

1orig57x1p.png
2orig36luy.png

Both are native SNES res, 256x224. Hey, that's almost 5 times less pixels than a 1080p screen? How the hell can we make it look good on phones/newfangled monitors?

Well, we could simply upscale the pictures, applying, say, bicubic interpolation:

1scalemrypw.png

2scaleselgt.png

Doesn't look good, now does it? Tad too blurry if you ask me.

We could also resize the picture with no interpolation:

1resize3bls1.png

2resizesrbra.png

Better, but this results in ~5x5 pixel blocks. Certain parts of the picture will look too sharp. You're not an garage indie developer, you don't get a pass for those 'oldskool' pixels. Not from most of your customers, at least.

You know what? How about we put that programmable 3D graphics card most of devices currently have. Let's simulate the actual TV screen those games were made for. You know, things like electron gun, luminance, phosphorus, etc. There's loads of implementations out there, but a quick and dirty one gives us:

1gpu99l3p.png

2gpur2y47.png

Much better don't you think?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I played it with a controller the first time through, without aim assist, because comfy couch, and landing headshots was a bit of pain. The game was exponentially easier with a kb&m.

Lol I also played it like that. Game was hard as hell, I'd die really quick. It wasn't till after I beat the game that I found out apparently I was playing wrong. Apparently youre supposed to get most of your kills in bullet time, I played it like a regular TPS and spent most of my time behind cover. But like I said, I have no intentions of replaying it

Jawmuncher

Yeah I could imagine MP being a pretty unfun experience without aim assit if using a controller and basically never using bullet time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that Bundlestars is nice. and by nice I mean of course, I dont own any of it, which is rare

Annubis

story based video game that is targeted towards a female market. Generally one of the goals, besides the main plot goal, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female player character and one of several male, or occasionally female characters.

From the store page:
The game features four male romance options and an additional four female romance options which will be released in a separate game version within a few months.

EDIT: willing to bet the name of the new game will be "Nicole (yuri version)"

Jawmuncher

From the store page:
The game features four male romance options and an additional four female romance options which will be released in a separate game version within a few months.

EDIT: willing to bet the name of the new game will be "Nicole (yuri version)"

I would prefer a Yuri version so I guess i'll wait then.

Chariot

Nicole is a good looking game. Looking forward to the female version.
The interace of most Visual Novels looks absolut shit, regardless if the artwork is good or not.

DocSeuss

Haven't played it yet (still on my wishlist) but I guess that is one of the drawbacks to virtual Textures Carmack couldn't resolve in time (do Wolfenstein and TEW still have this issue?). Wouldn't be surprised if this is still an issue even with way more VRAM because this is probably due to the texture management adding some latency, using a higher level mip maps for unavailable texture pages until it frees some less used pages and adding the desired ones at the right mip map level. Could be wrong though.

Anyway, just bought TEW and will be able to find out myself ... once the download finishes :>

Wolf and Rage play similarly.

TEW is horrible as far as performance goes. And the game's pretty terrible so far (Act 3).

Thorgal

I need some help steamgaf.

I want to move my entire Steam directory which is currently installed in the Program file x86 to another location ( Games folder ) without losing all my game installs .

any help you can give me or a guide ?

Uzzy

It doesn't seem unfinished. The game isn't all that fun compared to TA or even Supreme commander but it seems feature complete. I know the promised DRM free version never showed up. Is that the missing feature?

Don't know if they've patched it in yet, but the last time I played there wasn't a save game option. Which is annoying.

Turfster

... Digital Extremes is now 58% in hands of a Chinese agricultural company called Sumpo Food Holdings?
What the cluck?
Chicken DLC for Warframe?

BasilZero

I wouldn't mind the iOS port of ff6.

I have already played the snes version at least 7 times and the ps1 ver once. Planning to play the GBA ver soon.

Don't mind playing the iOS vers on steam at all ;)

Also so payday 1 is gonna be free for 24 hrs - is it worth getting it ;o

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind the iOS port of ff6.

I have already played the snes version at least 7 times and the ps1 ver once. Planning to play the GBA ver soon.

Don't mind playing the iOS vers on steam at all ;)

Also so payday 1 is gonna be free for 24 hrs - is it worth getting it ;o

It's free, yes it is worth grabbing just on principle. Good game anyhow.

Tellaerin

... Digital Extremes is now 58% in hands of a Chinese agricultural company called Sumpo Food Holdings?
What the cluck?
Chicken DLC for Warframe?

...I misread that as "Stumpo Food Holdings" and nearly freaked out. ("The largest distributor of poutine in mainland China!")

Turfster

Daily Strike Vector 75% off
Free Weekend Weekend
  • Awesomenauts 75% off
  • Blade Symphony 75% off
  • Company of Heroes 2 75% off
  • Don't Starve 66% off
  • Grid 2 75% off
  • Injustice 50% off
  • Killing Floor 75% off
  • Payday 2 75% off
  • Trine 2 80% off
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown 67%? 83%? WHO KNOWS off

Free game Payday: The Heist, today only... which killed the store, I think.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I need some help steamgaf.

I want to move my entire Steam directory which is currently installed in the Program file x86 to another location ( Games folder ) without losing all my game installs .

any help you can give me or a guide ?

I want to say you can use Steam Mover, but I'm also not sure if it isn't deprecated due to updates to the Steam client.

I...think you can delete everything in your Steam folder but the Steam.exe file and the SteamApps folder (which has all your games), and move them to where you want and then just run Steam.exe to reinstall Steam.

I think.

H1PSTER

Abit of an awkward topic to post it in but you guys are classy.

Has anyone had experience with the Gainward 970 Phantom? I may have to get that as a replacement for my Zotac 970 as the Zotac is out of stock.

DocSeuss

Interesting read on Alien:Isolation and the history of horror games in general from the team that made me poop my pantsthe first Amnesia.

I guess he uses the chickens to hide his weed from the sniffer dogs?

I still don't understand how Amnesia can scare anyone. It's just a dumbed-down COCDCOE

They're obviously still working on it.
I've seen EU yoyo between 67% and 83%

Yeah, we're really, really close to Crimefest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom