• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

Is The Golf Club still on steam? I tried to search and it found no matches, then it had traffic issues and I have to go to bed now.

Tellaerin

Oh, this is funny. Looks like Steam's temporarily disabled search, so I can't even look for Payday from the front page now.

EDIT: Got to the search page, but searching for Payday gives me "no results were returned for that query". Progress?

Steam doesn't allow you to buy DLC without owning the main game first. Unless you're purchasing a gift, that is. (Unless I'm terribly mistaken)

Standalone DLC will always be marked as such in the store - i.e. without the "DLC" marker on the store icon, and probably within the store page description itself.

Yeah, exactly.
I gather KarmaCow was experiencing some glitch with the Steam store, that by the way at the moment is undergoing some slowdowns due to the traffic they're having, anyway yes, the expansion is apparently more expansive than the complete pack.

Use a color you don't use like Orange or something.
Since I was thinking the same thing. You don't want a page filled with red.

Yes, indeed too much red banners look intimidating, probably as we tend to associate red with some serious warning messages.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's pretty smart. Be nice to eventually have all the vital info consolidated on the store page but that dream is probaly a long, long ways off. Are you pulling the info straight from the DB?

Yes, my server is scraping the database directly and gathering up the subIDs of games with the ACRTAG set to false. With this option enabled, the extension will download a JSONified list of these subIDs (currently about 667 of them) and compare the subIDs on the store page to this list.

Use a color you don't use like Orange or something.
Since I was thinking the same thing. You don't want a page filled with red.

I'll have to play around with the colors and see what works best. I initially thought "red like the DRM warnings" because on more than one occasion having a red banner on so many people's store page has made a company change their mind about including 3rd party DRM in their game on top of Steam. Hopefully something like this can pull the same weight, assuming enough people decide that it's useful.

Payday 2 DLC was even cheaper than expected, I got a key for the assault pack but it costs barely a ToD ticket. It's actually cheaper to just buy it flat out than pumping $5 into my Steam Wallet.

Hell yeah. It's $10 for all (sans Soundtraffic and Hotline Miami). I'm ok with this.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, that was a typo on my end. What I get for not proofing my posts.
Though my modern coding skills are admittedly pretty crap. >.>
Still waiting to see the fruit of your coding labors, btw. When's the big reveal?
a year at minimum. i'm literally doing everything myself from designing the fonts to making 3d models and animating them to pixelart to coding my own level editor and the ai and menus and everything. i'm even making placeholder sounds and everything

Yeah, Faye's awesome. Glad we can agree on that. : ) (Then again, Bebop was just awesome in general.)
yeah i mean she's my least favorite character of the series but everything was so cool in that show that it doesn't make that much of a difference

ed tho <333

Re Skyrim/Beth games in general: They fill a niche. People obviously enjoy them. You might feel that people should be spending their time playing "something better", but what's "better"? For example, you swear up and down that NV > FO3 like it's an absolute fact, but I enjoyed FO3 more than I did NV. Someone else's arbitrary declaration of what I should be enjoying isn't suddenly going to make the so-called "better" game more fun for me to play. So if people want to "waste their life" on something like Skyrim because they enjoy it, rather than wasting their lives playing some other game that's been certified superior by the Taste Police, I say more power to 'em. Play what you love, love what you play.
i'm not denying that it's fun for you, i'm saying it's a bad, shallow game and a waste of your time

no doubt people find farmville entertaining and i'd still say it's a waste of time. it's fast food videogames, i like eating burger king every now and then, but i probably don't want to eat burger king as much as ppl play skyrim.

and i can't see how that's "arbitrary" or "taste police" or whatever. skyrim gameplay is the same old shit backpedalling from morrowind days, they streamlined the rpg systems to shit cos apparently people love perks even when they're actually pretty shitty % stat increases and writing is pretty darned awful.

i didn't get too far before being completely bored (and i installed like two dozen gameplay mods to make it more interesting) so it might change later but from what i played it was all kinds of terrible. i can see why people like it, but it's still a terrible game

it's like call of duty, i love call of duty, i love how not just racist but generally evil it is, and i love shooting shit in the face and see it explode. but cmon, it's a shitty ass rehashed game that doesn't even let you open your own doors. i don't even think it's very much fun, but i like it, and play one every now and then. same with ass creed, it's pure ubisoft's terrible design trademark of give you a shit ton of copy paste quests to do like it was actual content. it's not. but i like walking around pretty european cities and unlocking costumes.

like let's not pretend skyrim is any more deep that any of those games.

well maybe the farmville comparison is a bit much lol

KarmaCow

Yeah, exactly.
I gather KarmaCow was experiencing some glitch with the Steam store, that by the way at the moment is undergoing some slowdowns due to the traffic they're having, anyway yes, the expansion is apparently more expansive than the complete pack.

The weird thing is that I can buy the other two pieces of DLC just fine but there is no option on the store page to buy Enemy Within. Even going to the DLC page via the Library and adding Enemy Within to my cart does nothing. I just end up with an empty cart.

I still don't get why Enemy Within costs as much as the base game either. It's $30 on GMG.

Copons

Watched the GiantBomb QL....it doesn't look good if you'd ask me. Then again I don't really like bullethell shooters to begin with

Yeah, judging from the couple of videos I watched it looks really hideous, like... artsy fartsy minimalism done totally wrong and uninspired.
And no, it doesn't depend by your dislike for the genre: it's just ugly to look. :/

inm8num2

Reposting to get rid of the last one.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (inm8num2, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-8CCA741733C14A1B - Taken by NightmareTrigger

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll have to play around with the colors and see what works best. I initially thought "red like the DRM warnings" because on more than one occasion having a red banner on so many people's store page has made a company change their mind about including 3rd party DRM in their game on top of Steam. Hopefully something like this can pull the same weight, assuming enough people decide that it's useful.

I'd recommend changing the message to "Trading between certain regions has been disabled for this item." and making the "certain regions" portion in particular a hover link that clarifies the restriction only affects users in Eastern Europe, South America and South-east Asia. As it is, people in other territories are going to assume that they can't gift the games amongst themselves.

KarmaCow

I bought Big Bank Heist. Should i buy PayDay 2 Soundtrack?

You get a couple cosmetic items (masks and customization options for masks) and it will add a few songs to the in-game music playlist. They've been continually updating it as the game gets new tracks as well but it's still just music, nothing directly gameplay related.

Deques

Anybody know why Trine downloaded a 1.3GB patch and Trine 2 downloaded a 671.5GB patch?

Exc [developer] 5 minutes ago
Hi,

Yes it was the editor release (for Trine 2 and Trine Enchanted Edition). Games got some fixes but main reason for the patches were the editor release with Steam Workshop support.

Usually patches aren't so big but editor release contains lot of assets for the editors which the games didn't use and those assets were published now.

Changelog will be posted into forums soonish (in the mean time you can find the changelog also from game's install folder.

It is indeed the level editor

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'd recommend changing the message to "Trading between certain regions has been disabled for this item." and making the "certain regions" portion in particular a hover link that clarifies the restriction only affects users in Eastern Europe, South America and South-east Asia. As it is, people in other territories are going to assume that they can't gift the games amongst themselves.

... although - with acrtag being disabled by default wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Trading between certain regions hasn't been enabled for this item."? :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Good point. I might have to clarify that further for people that don't know.

-----

Here's what this would look like using Steam's own "DRM_notice" color scheme:

yqMNMz9.png

What do you guys think? Better, or worse?

Grief.exe

... although - with acrtag being disabled by default wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Trading between certain regions hasn't been enabled for this item."? :p

The latter is just more complex wording. You are confirming the status twice in your version by using the words 'hasn't' and 'enabled.'

Where as the other way just uses 'disabled.'

I'm an engineer, not an English major.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Remember that the change is only a month or so old, so currently there are far more games that allow cross-region trading/gifting than disallow it.

well maybe the farmville comparison is a bit much lol

No one enjoys Farmville. They may spend time using it, but that doesn't mean they're enjoying it. Having the game fulfill some compulsive desires in the mind is not the same as enjoyment.

And NV being better than FO3 is something of a universal truth. You don't even need to play both to know this!

Hardcore mode is a godsend. Yes Man, you better believe it.

What do you guys think? Better, or worse?
I don't use ES, but perhaps use a slightly harsher shade to make it stand out more as "negative"? And maybe thin out the warning bar a bit 'cuz they repeat a lot in multiple-version store pages.

Beyond that, you're doing great work jshackles. I like to think that at least part of this Steam Store revamp is because of your hard work. So thank you!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You could make the text "You can't exploit cheap-ass Brazilian/Russian pricing to get this game half-off, chump" for maximum clarity.

The weird thing is that I can buy the other two pieces of DLC just fine but there is no option on the store page to buy Enemy Within. Even going to the DLC page via the Library and adding Enemy Within to my cart does nothing. I just end up with an empty cart.

I have just tried it and it's working allright for me, mate.

I still don't get why Enemy Within costs as much as the base game either. It's $30 on GMG.

Methinks it's because it's more recent than the base game and it has had very positive reviews so they want to keep its price as high as possible.
That is what happens the most of times with GOTY editions, early adopters get milked and end up paying more for the DLC they are missing.

zkylon

zkylewd
No one enjoys Farmville. They may spend time using it, but that doesn't mean they're enjoying it. Having the game fulfill some compulsive desires in the mind is not the same as enjoyment.

And NV being better than FO3 is something of a universal truth. You don't even need to play both to know this!

Hardcore mode is a godsend. Yes Man, you better believe it.

yeah let's just call the farmville comparison "for dramatic effect"

ppl hopefully know i tend to exaggerate

You could make the text "You can't exploit cheap-ass Brazilian/Russian pricing to get this game half-off, chump" for maximum clarity.

Hey Stump... remember our old hypothetical?

Well, theoretically, perhaps, approximately, 20% of sales prior to a region lock may have occurred in certain regions which feature lower pricing, while after the region lock that share may have fallen, approximately, to 6%, hypothetically. And, also hypothetically, no major change to the overall sales curve may have occurred.

Of course, this is all hypothetical.

So steam died cause of free Payday. Not too surprising when free L4D2 happened during the winter sale last year. Then again it was a whole different situation back then.

KarmaCow

All the Payday 2 DLC is pretty cheap but this is what I think of them. Note that you don't need the dlc to play heists, just to host them.

Armoured Transport: Good set of heists and pretty good weapons. I don't think the weapons are worth $2 necessarily since you don't need the dlc to play the heists but I liked it well enough.
Gage Weapon Pack 1: Grenades are the only real worthwhile thing. They're not used for killing enemies more for stunning them. The Eagle Rifle is good, but it's outclassed and has many equivalents.
Gage Weapon Pack 2: LMGs are terrible. Payday 2 is all about headshots so the reduced accuracy and lack of ADS pretty much counter the increased pool of ammo for LMGs.
Gage Mod Courier: Great sets of mods for all the weapons and you can get them without relying on the post heist RNG card game. It makes the CAR-4 pretty much unrivaled as the best rifle in the game. You get mods by collecting packages in heists, which wont take long to get what you want. The biggest draw back is that you will get way more mods in your inventory that you could possibly ever use since it's essentially unlimited.
Gage Sniper Pack: Snipers are really good, mostly since they can penetrate shields unlike other weapons. The Thanatos is also ridiculous as it can 2 shot Bulldozers on Overkill.
Big Bank: The heist is great, but the rest isn't worthwhile. The weapon is like the Eagle Rifle, outclassed and similar to other weapons.
Gage Shotgun Pack: The new shotguns are terrible for the most part and the special ammo isn't worth it except for the High Explosive ammo. It's terrible for directly killing enemies but like grenades, it's extremely useful for stunning enemies, especially shields and bulldozers. A single shot will stun a dozer for a couple seconds allowing you to unload with a rifle to easily kill it. HE ammo is very useful on Death Wish with how the game likes to spam special enemies. HE ammo also doesn't damage teammates unlike grenades and the grenade launcher from the assault pack.
Gage Assault Pack: I haven't used it yet, just bought it.
Hotline Miami: Pretty much like Big Bank, good heist but the weapons are meh. One of the SMGs is actually pretty good, rivalling a rifle but I prefer shotguns as a secondary. The HM heist is currently the best for money and exp by a good margin.

You killed steam for grab a game you'll probably never play, good work.

(I too want that game that I'll probably neve play! damn it steam, fix up already!)

jshackles

Just for you...

HiyBQ0Z.png

FloatOn

Does their netplay actually work yet?
I mean, I've owned it since last winter sale, and it was impossible to play with anyone =p

I was able to play when I bought it last winter. There was some kind of training ground lobby that was really fun.

It seemed like it had a good community going for it back then. I imagine things are even better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom