• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

a year at minimum. i'm literally doing everything myself from designing the fonts to making 3d models and animating them to pixelart to coding my own level editor and the ai and menus and everything. i'm even making placeholder sounds and everything[/quote]

Damn, sounds like you've got your hands full. :eek: Look forward to seeing it once you're ready to go public. Anything you can reveal about it now (genre, theme) or are you keeping everything under wraps until then?

yeah i mean she's my least favorite character of the series but everything was so cool in that show that it doesn't make that much of a difference

ed tho <333

Now you're getting me all nostalgic. I need to rewatch Bebop. Though I've got so much other stuff I want to see and do right now, there's no telling when I'll actually get to it.

i'm not denying that it's fun for you, i'm saying it's a bad, shallow game and a waste of your time

no doubt people find farmville entertaining and i'd still say it's a waste of time. it's fast food videogames, i like eating burger king every now and then, but i probably don't want to eat burger king as much as ppl play skyrim.

and i can't see how that's "arbitrary" or "taste police" or whatever. skyrim gameplay is the same old shit backpedalling from morrowind days, they streamlined the rpg systems to shit cos apparently people love perks even when they're actually pretty shitty % stat increases and writing is pretty darned awful.

i didn't get too far before being completely bored (and i installed like two dozen gameplay mods to make it more interesting) so it might change later but from what i played it was all kinds of terrible. i can see why people like it, but it's still a terrible game

it's like call of duty, i love call of duty, i love how not just racist but generally evil it is, and i love shooting shit in the face and see it explode. but cmon, it's a shitty ass rehashed game that doesn't even let you open your own doors. i don't even think it's very much fun, but i like it, and play one every now and then. same with ass creed, it's pure ubisoft's terrible design trademark of give you a shit ton of copy paste quests to do like it was actual content. it's not. but i like walking around pretty european cities and unlocking costumes.

like let's not pretend skyrim is any more deep that any of those games.

well maybe the farmville comparison is a bit much lol

I think you're kind of missing my point. If somebody plays and enjoys it, how is it a waste of their time? It's not like they don't know there are other, "better" games out there that they could be playing, and are only playing Skyrim (or whatever) out of ignorance. Most of the time, they've decided to play that game instead of the one people say they "should be playing", because the "better" one isn't better for them. Now, you can try to tart up your argument by claiming that your personal tastes are in line with some absolute standard and other peoples' aren't, but when it comes to stuff like Skyrim or FO3, I'm going to call bullshit on that. Those games do some things very well - things like immersion, selling the player on exploring a living, breathing world. You may not value those things yourself, and that's fine, but that doesn't lessen their worth in the absolute sense, and it doesn't mean the people who enjoy them lack taste. They just don't share your tastes.

Grief.exe

So Harry Potter 1-3 are completely different games from the console iterations. Have to individually look up which versions are the best.

Why aren't the Harry Potter games on Steam?

7eFv14Z.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ugh...brain cells dying...from...that evil within...eurogamer 1080 thread...must...stop...reading...itchy...scratchy...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

100% Orange Juice -- MB-1E82B88C7916F0FC - Taken by agniswarm. 5 entrants total.

t1413525850z1.png

An-Det

I really wish the Payday 1 dlc was on sale, one of my friend's just picked it up so having it all would be nice. Nice to finally pick up the various dlc for Payday 2 (besides Hotline Miami) that I still needed.

Dr Dogg

So Harry Potter 1-3 are completely different games from the console iterations. Have to individually look up which versions are the best.

Why aren't the Harry Potter games on Steam?

EA.

Saying that the Quidich World Cup was alright. I know the PS One versions were quite different from the PS2 ones but that chart puts Ubisoft's Collectors Editions to shame.

Speaking of EA and licenced games why weren't their Lord of the Rings games available anywhere digitally? Granted they have long since lost the licence by now but at the time EA Link (that's Origin to us now a days) was around. Battle for Middle Earth 2 is a glorious game that is lost to the annuals of time (well unless you go looking on eBay or the like).

derExperte

The Grid 2 DLC pack being only 50% is a bummer. Was cheaper before.

I really wish the Payday 1 dlc was on sale, one of my friend's just picked it up so having it all would be nice. Nice to finally pick up the various dlc for Payday 2 (besides Hotline Miami) that I still needed.

You know you can host a DLC heist and then your friend can join?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shank -- MB-1E8E1FF9D8E42E9B - Taken by lindarasta. 1 entrants total.

t1413483852z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Damn, sounds like you've got your hands full. :eek: Look forward to seeing it once you're ready to go public. Anything you can reveal about it now (genre, theme) or are you keeping everything under wraps until then?
it's the broken pieces of a stealth game for now

i want to say "immersive sim" but that term is so ugly

no theme for now cos my main character is going through gender identity issues and every week i change everything -_-

Now you're getting me all nostalgic. I need to rewatch Bebop. Though I've got so much other stuff I want to see and do right now, there's no telling when I'll actually get to it.
i just rewatch the movie from time to time. not too time consuming

I think you're kind of missing my point. If somebody plays and enjoys it, how is it a waste of their time? It's not like they don't know there are other, "better" games out there that they could be playing, and are only playing Skyrim (or whatever) out of ignorance. Most of the time, they've decided to play that game instead of the one people say they "should be playing", because the "better" one isn't better for them. Now, you can try to tart up your argument by claiming that your personal tastes are in line with some absolute standard and other peoples' aren't, but when it comes to stuff like Skyrim or FO3, I'm going to call bullshit on that. Those games do some things very well - things like immersion, selling the player on exploring a living, breathing world. You may not value those things yourself, and that's fine, but that doesn't lessen their worth in the absolute sense, and it doesn't mean the people who enjoy them lack taste. They just don't share your tastes.
it's not that i don't value "immersion" (i kinda hate this world lately), i just think that a game to be immersive it has to have good writing and more to do in their world than go to cave and murder everything in it. it has to draw you in by being smart and interesting. skyrim and fo3 just throw dragons and mutants and nuke catapults at you from very early on. but try and get invested in this world and all you hear are poorly written reused fantasy/post-apoc tropes (which is not the case for new vegas!) and your only interaction with things is killing them in the less interesting way possible or watching them drone about with dead eyes staring into nothingness. new vegas isn't amazing in this last point either but the way its quests are designed really makes miracles out of that rotten old ass engine (new vegas legendary quest flowchart.jpeg)

and like call of duty and ass creed also have redeeming points. ass creed in particular is amazing how much work they put in recreating those cities and whatever. but they're still junk food, no matter how much weaklings like me or saoirse like it.

a bit of junk food is ok, i'm eating subway right now, but like when it's days of your life spent on it i think it may have been a bit much. i always feel guilty when i watch my hour count after an ass creed game or like when i realized that the burger i ordered doesn't fit my mouth

fortunately i have magical genetic skinniness :>

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd recommend changing the message to "Trading between certain regions has been disabled for this item." and making the "certain regions" portion in particular a hover link that clarifies the restriction only affects users in Eastern Europe, South America and South-east Asia. As it is, people in other territories are going to assume that they can't gift the games amongst themselves.

Does this sound semantically correct?

vnm9qsW.png

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Man, Steam slowed to a crawl for the Payday giveaway.

I was working on a new Enhanced Steam feature, what do you guys think?

SvXgue5.png

That will come in handy, but it also makes me a sad panda :(

Good point. I might have to clarify that further for people that don't know.

-----

Here's what this would look like using Steam's own "DRM_notice" color scheme:

What do you guys think? Better, or worse?

I think it's better

chronomac

Had a couple extras from the Vancouver bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One -- MB-85AFB332AEF668A3 - Taken by Deques
Shank -- MB-ABD3EA6AF67CE7AC - Taken by S1n1st3r

Lain

About The Baconing, on the plus side, now I own all 3 games on Steam that I had on the PS3 (well, still missing the Baconing DLC, I'll get it one day), on the neg side... why? Why call it simply The Baconing? Why not... I don't know... let me think hard about it... DeathSpank: The Baconing? So that it would fit with Deathspank and DeathSpank: Thongs Of Virtue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom