• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Banned
Just bought Payday 2. Should I buy all the DLC? Is there still an active community of Gaffers that I can play with?

And whats happening with international pricing?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
no, you can receive and give gifts from anywhere to anywhere

as long as the publisher deliberately decides to allow it

because it's disallowed by default

lol

Well, it's only blocked by default for new things which are released or old items where it was specifically turned on. There are 667 subscription IDs currently that have this lock in place, which encompasses about 250 games at the moment.

Arthea

Hey, Square Enix, listen up, here's how you scale a low-res picture.

Let's look at our exhibits, A is from town, B is from battle screen:

http://abload.de/img/1orig57x1p.png[/IMG[IMG]http://abload.de/img/2orig36luy.png[/IMG

Both are native SNES res, 256x224. Hey, that's almost 5 times less pixels than a 1080p screen? How the hell can we make it look good on phones/newfangled monitors?

Well, we could simply upscale the pictures, applying, say, bicubic interpolation:

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/1scalemrypw.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/2scaleselgt.png[/IMG

Doesn't look good, now does it? Tad too blurry if you ask me.

We could also resize the picture with no interpolation:

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/1resize3bls1.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/2resizesrbra.png[/IMG

Better, but this results in ~5x5 pixel blocks. Certain parts of the picture will look too sharp. You're not an garage indie developer, you don't get a pass for those 'oldskool' pixels. Not from most of your customers, at least.

You know what? How about we put that programmable 3D graphics card most of devices currently have. Let's simulate the actual TV screen those games were made for. You know, things like electron gun, luminance, phosphorus, etc. There's loads of implementations out there, but a quick and dirty one gives us:

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/1gpu99l3p.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/2gpur2y47.png[/IMG

Much better don't you think?[/QUOTE]

I assume you want honest reply, after all you put some work into this
negligently better
I would choose iOS version over yours any day, after seeing one too many 5 mm in size pixels on 42" screen I decided I prefer a bit more complex graphics these days.
Don't get me wrong, if FF6 characters and enemies were redrawn with at least 640 pixels instead of 30, and backgrounds accordingly, also we would have at least 16 mln colours instead of 256, I would take an original.
Even if I don't like a remake, I still can't agree that original looks better in its current state, because it just doesn't.

that's crazy, i didn't really care so much for the russian prices thingie cos i don't really buy that many new games but this is pretty depressing

could've at least made it so that if the price is the same in both regions or something

it's not like i don't pay exactly the same as everyone else already -_-

We get all the downsides of being in South America without anything to show for it (a discount in older valve and 2k games doesn't count, I'd say)

But unless something has changed recently, the automatic refund feature doesn't actually apply to unused gifts and Support refuses to acknowledge the phrasing. Your only hope here is if local legislation entitles you to a refund, in which case you can cite it in your ticket.

Say, as an aside, do you still have any copies of the Landmark buddy pack? I can throw you a couple of refs in exchange for one if you're interested.

Went today to my brothers house to see some of my Evil Within in action and goddamn it looked awesome on all fronts. My brother just said that he will never understand why anyone would want to remove the black bars and I agree: the aspect ratio gives it the sort of cinematic feel that not even 30fps can match.

HbBryGu.jpg

FFVI, iOS version. They killed this game. Seriously, why don't make a simple 1:1 port, simply adding pad support, cloud and achievements?
This "new" graphics is worst then the original one, there's no point in doing a remake that looks so bad.

What the fuck

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, it's only blocked by default for new things which are released or old items where it was specifically turned on. There are 667 subscription IDs currently that have this lock in place, which encompasses about 250 games at the moment.
so basically what you're saying is

steam is for old games

gog is for new games

dude this is obviously brazil being world cup bitter
k i like this theory

i'll choose to believe this theory

Gonna reveal everything next week. It's gonna be great.

CSDteaser5.png
i just wanna know if you're gonna make lasagna easier

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Say, as an aside, do you still have any copies of the Landmark buddy pack? I can throw you a couple of refs in exchange for one if you're interested.

I have two more I'm willing to sell, but they're listed for a key and I sold one earlier, so in order to not dick the first buyer over I have to hold firm on the price.

Edit: MillionStabs is giving one away above. PM him.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
you guys need to stop spoilering OT posts. You are still posting OT, the spoilers doesnt make them invisible. Just OT your heart out like most people do anyway, dont pretend you arent doing it, when in fact...you are

If i was to, say, go to a restaurant and decided to take a shit in the middle of the room, covering myself with a coat so people wouldnt see my ass wouldnt really help, I was still taking a shit in the middle of a restaurant

I hear they frown on that :p

But if you hide under a pile of coats, no one will ever find you and everything will work out!

OK.

I was writing this down in anticipation of an eventual runthrough when I upgrade my rig, and I'm collating a lot of content because I want to build my own website in the near future and post articles under the banner "A Modder's Guide To..."

Hope this helps.

I really regret using the Here There Be Monsters mod since I have a phobia of the open sea and anything massive that lives in it :|

Hey, Ubisoft, you like money don't you?
How about contracting Traveler's Tales and having them made LEGO Assassin's Creed game? Or Sumo Digital and Ubisoft Racing Transformed?
I'm sure both would be way cheaper to make, would not require 1k+ people working in 7 different studios, and would sell greatly.

Lego AssCreed would be the ultimate collectathon.

A Lego Asscreed would have so many collectibles that the universe would implode and then reconstruct itself as a giant flag with a feather embroidered on it :|

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/destiny-bundle/

New Bundlestars bundle, looks really good.

FATE: The Traitor Soul
Haegomonia Double Pack
Warring States Tactics
Battleplan: American Civil War
Commando Jack
Post Master
Zoo Park
Nicole (Otome Version) Deluxe Edition

Ehh, I'll buy it for the Winter Wolves VN, Warring States Tactics, and the Civil War game.

Not sure about Post Master. At least the devs seem to be responding to complaints.

Y9tChZK.png

From the past.

...I misread that as "Stumpo Food Holdings" and nearly freaked out. ("The largest distributor of poutine in mainland China!")

I swore it said that too, and was going to make a comment about it until reading your post made me reread it :|

Man, Steam slowed to a crawl for the Payday giveaway.

I was working on a new Enhanced Steam feature, what do you guys think?

This would be great for trading purposes.

So chubigans posted this image in this thread

JyMkAGa.gif

Salsa

a shit I dont have CSD on my dad's google account and im going away with his tablet tomorrow

chubigans gonna need a play store sale like today mmkay

Just bought Payday 2. Should I buy all the DLC? Is there still an active community of Gaffers that I can play with?

And whats happening with international pricing?

Welcome. KarmaCow did a 'review' of the DLC a page back or so. It isn't 'needed' (you can play the heists, but you can't host them), some add some new gear. The courier mod one is probably something you want to pick up.

I'm buried in other games right now, but I've tried to set up a couple sessions spur of the moment and get some GAFfers to play with. The community fluctuates between awesome and terrible.

Gonna reveal everything next week. It's gonna be great.

CSDteaser5.png

awesome

Miguel81

You know what? How about we put that programmable 3D graphics card most of devices currently have. Let's simulate the actual TV screen those games were made for. You know, things like electron gun, luminance, phosphorus, etc. There's loads of implementations out there, but a quick and dirty one gives us:

1gpu99l3p.png

2gpur2y47.png

Much better don't you think?

Man, these shots take me back to when I first played FFVI on a Trinitron. Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

Arthea

there was this one time in italy this futurist composer made music so offensive to the listeners that they started rioting:

http://www.hydramag.com/2010/08/27/...t-of-noise-revolutionized-20th-century-music/

on a fundamental level any type of art that tries to make itself look so sugary cute that it could be found in a coloring book for 3 year olds is something that I don't want to look at.

you can be offended by music, as you can be offended by art, yet you can't be offended by artstyle or music style, because style is set of rules, conventions, agreements

also it explains a lot about Copons (><)

Arthea

AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting being disabled doesn't mean you're limited to receiving gifts within South America; it's just that any ACRTAG-locked games you send to international users will be region-locked.

you are playing with words. That exactly means: they can't gift games outside of their region, period.

As for publishers unlocking games, that not gonna happen. They went out of their way to get region locked everything and everywhere, if they had ability, they would region lock your mom from you, what if she convinces you to wait until she gifts you the game, and then waits until it's discounted?!

I like old version more then the new one. The remake just feels bland.

I agree that remake looks not good, totally and I'm glad for you if you find original tolerable. I would have preferred a proper remake, but damned iOS popularity and SE policies are not gonna let that happen.

Dr Dogg

Well this has put me in a tricky spot. Do I plod on with Alien Isolation and scare myself silly, do I go crack on with New Game + in Shovel Knight after Chubs' tease or do I go reinstall CSD and hone my skill in preparation for 'this holiday'?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
you are playing with words. That exactly means: they can't gift games outside of their region, period.

I'm not "playing with words". He was under the impression that he couldn't receive gifts from users outside of South America, but this isn't what what ACRTAG does (with the obvious exception of gifts from Eastern Europe or South-east Asia).

As for publishers unlocking games, that not gonna happen. They went out of their way to get region locked everything and everywhere, if they had ability, they would region lock your mom from you, what if she convinces you to wait until she gifts you the game, and then waits until it's discounted?!

We already have examples in the form of (edit: almost) every single Disney sub that isn't Tron 2-specific. The switch was flipped about a month ago and all most of Disney's subs are only two weeks old, so they should have been region-locked, but aren't (except for Tron 2).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well this has put me in a tricky spot. Do I plod on with Alien Isolation and scare myself silly, do I go crack on with New Game + in Shovel Knight after Chubs' tease or do I go reinstall CSD and hone my skill in preparation for 'this holiday'?

Finish up Alien first, then go with Shovel Knight since you've already finished it once. That way you won't feel tempted to drop Alien.

Sure, you might not be thinking about dropping it now, but if you go play something else you might just not want to go back to it later.

yuraya

I don't even think Payday The Heist was in top 100 steam stats earlier in the day. It was like 300 players couple hours ago. And now just like that its at 25k players lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Better, but this results in ~5x5 pixel blocks. Certain parts of the picture will look too sharp. You're not an garage indie developer, you don't get a pass for those 'oldskool' pixels. Not from most of your customers, at least.

BSNES has some really good stuff. For FF6 in particular if you don't round out the blocks you'll get bricks that don't look right and oval castle towers that are supposed to look round, etc. The artists made it for CRTs.

FloatOn

tonight is my last final for the subterm. which means no homework. which means I actually get to play something.

it's going to be my mission to finish up resident evil revelations and get lots of pier solar time in.

Miguel81

I had to turn it off at 2am this morning, after getting caught by the beast under a medical table. Who knew CA would make such an effective horror game? Other devs should branch out of their genre mainstays now.

CSD?

Cook, Serve, Delicious

Gotcha.

Counter-Strike of Duty.

Oh,You!.gif

Zia

Unsure about the Audiosurf key. Thought it was for Steam but can't be bothered to check right now. Claim that at your own risk.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zia, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

aaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome -- MB-0750733E70248B96 - Taken by adriano999
AI War: Children of Neinzul -- MB-D2D07B1D48891EDE - Taken by Darth Kupi
FTL Advanced Edition -- MB-E8123C8E6551841A - Taken by cardinalmind
qzNSxgo.jpg
AudioSurf -- MB-313D5B7B9FF09997 - Taken by Axass
Osmos -- MB-CBA8FEB97150777D - Taken by gaiadyne
The Ship Complete Pack -- MB-E090C49E14114F18 - Taken by Sendou
Zenbound 2 -- MB-88F2AAFA0A3E28B3 - Taken by nightstorm
Super Hexagon -- MB-E38A71EF28FC01EF - Taken by The Reloader
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-885B1A0C0BC00D05 - Taken by Berlok
AI War: Light of the Spire -- MB-9DD843040BF88F94
AI War: Fleet Command -- MB-A33836DAA56A436D - Taken by darkchewie
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-CC870CB436509B65 - Taken by Miniboss
Darkout -- MB-850201EBD427B302 - Taken by The Dear Leader
SpaceChem -- MB-4FB3BD6D1B71ACA6
AI War: The Zenith Remnant -- MB-569624F9E96FEA3D - Taken by bluechox2
World of Goo -- MB-2D249E6D833DD092 - Taken by Scipius

Arthea

I'm not "playing with words". He was under the impression that he couldn't receive gifts from users outside of South America, but this isn't what what ACRTAG does (with the obvious exception of gifts from Eastern Europe or South-east Asia).

We already have examples in the form of (edit: almost) every single Disney sub that isn't Tron 2-specific. The switch was flipped about a month ago and all most of Disney's subs are only two weeks old, so they should have been region-locked, but aren't (except for Tron 2).

sorry about that, I thought you were saying they still can gift games only those game will be region locked.

I'm not sure how that happened, but I don't believe those games were region unlocked for a second (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom