• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

This Korean site is giving away Steam keys for Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic.

Instructions are here in the reddit thread where I saw it.

edit: For the record it took me awhile. Using google photo translate on my phone revealed the really bizarre usernames I was coming up with were listed as taken somehow. I finally got one though.

Axass

TLDR: Gunpoint is awesome and you should play it.

It is a good game, and it deserves to be played, as it's a quite unique gameplay gem, but I had kind of your opposite reaction to it: I feel people blew it out of proportion, overhyping it.

The game's very limited in what you can do, yes you can approach things in more than one way: but those various ways remain the same ones for all the missions. The gameplay doesn't evolve much during the course of the "campaign", which, by the way, is very short and repetitive: all missions are "hack this and get out", the optional goals aren't worth your time, unless you accidentally complete them without even noticing (happened to me most of the times). Also the story doesn't really branches off, unless you consider that one instance when you can choose between two different missions; for the rest it's all minor stuff that doesn't actually change the way the plot unfolds.

There are very insteresting things, such as the way upgrades work, the cross-link system, the way the plot is narrated and the great sense of humour employed by the developer. But it's not that mind-blowing of a game in my opinion.

This Korean site is giving away Steam keys for Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic.

edit: For the record it took me awhile. Using google photo translate on my phone revealed the really bizarre usernames I was coming up with were listed as taken somehow. I finally got one though.

Got it to work after a figuring out what the popup prompts were asking, thanks louiedog!

Jawmuncher

I thought the setting was good too.

But OG Turok had better guns, a BETTER setting, great exploration, awesome monsters, awesome boss fights.

Newest Turok had a great setting and some decent characters, but lack of imaginative guns, a frustrating knock-down mechanic, a CHEATING ASS BOSS in the caves, and dual-wielding shotguns that was a lot like firing kittens as projectiles.

Funny thing is the sequel was supposed to fix all of that.

JustLynx

even Google couldn't translate it for me o_O
but I got it :) thank you!

wagamer

Haha thanks, managed to get one. Took me a while too, I don't know why it didn't register my first submission but no problems on second try.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Unrest is 75% off on GMG, normal and special edition, Turfster aproved

Lomax

That's much higher than I would have guessed.

As much as I love the series, that's a really bundle inflated number. I probably "own" four copies of Trine just by myself.

Unrest is 75% off on GMG, normal and special edition, Turfster aproved

Bought.
With credit.
Of course that means it will probably be bundled 5 times in the next month, but no harm in supporting an interesting looking game.

The_Monk

Decided to post my small impressions from another two titles I have played in the past but I haven't given some proper thoughts to you all, my good people.

As always you can check these in the Steam Reviews if you care to rate them up or down.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Steam Review

nqZkIxOl.png

As soon as I played XCOM: Enemy Unknown for the first time, it quickly became my personal SOTY (surprise of the year). You play as the XCOM commander and an enormous weight sits in your shoulders since no decision is easy when you are at war. Decisions will be made right from the very first time you play the game weather on choosing some locations above others, depending on what advantages each brings to the table as well what technologies you want to focus first. Strategy is key in both combat and the XCOM facility. It’s not about simply erasing any possible threat but also trying to capture some species for further analysis and study as well to bring more researches that can improve your armory and fleet giving you a better chance at surviving. It is also wise to build a squad in different ways, using different skills in the battle so you can be ready for the most scenarios the game will throw at you.
If you let immerse yourself during the brief introduction to the Story you will get a sense of constant panic and terror due to the global alien invasion showing no mercy killing everyone, civilians and soldiers. While the strength of XCOM is the pure strategy gameplay there will be plenty of time for you to get a raw sense of fear, as well for most of your untrained soldiers since panic will also be part of the battle and will influence their behavior during critical times.
Paying and attention and playing the Tutorial will be very useful in the game but later on you will learn from your own trial & error experiences. While some strategies can work based on some luck, other will require for you to grab every single chance and make every single bullet/turn counts. Difficulty can be a bit harsh if you are not used to genre but believe me, it’s worth learning the basic stuff. I would say that Easy difficulty felt like Normal and Normal sometimes felt like Hard (and so on). If you are a truly adventurer and fearless commander, higher difficulties will put your patience, skills and strategy to the test during every single turn.
The soundtrack is minimal since it’s not a big focus on this game but I felt quite excited each time I was in my paramilitary facility and I became aware of a new threat. The music right when you choose which member will fill your squad to fight in battle give you a decent sentiment of anxiety making you eager to find the next battle location, type of terrain, possibility of new threats and so on.
In the end, XCOM: Enemy Unknown proved to be a time sink, but a good one, there’s no doubt. There is plenty of options for you to make the game adjustable according to your difficulty preferences and there’s a decent amount of content while pushing for new technologies, new weapons, new armor and suits and new ways to fight the enemy. Make your choices wisely, time is short, resources are limited and remember, you can’t save everyone so expect losses in the battlefield without forgetting to extract wisdom from each battle, won or lost.

For reference, I have yet to play XCOM: Enemy Within but I hope it's also a great game/expansion.

DuckTales Remastered Steam Review

4FRdatVl.jpg

Whether it’s from the TV cartoon series or Comic books, at one point many seen, played or read something, somewhere about Ducktales. In this remastered title you are able to travel back in time in your memories and experience a classic game from a timeless genre. As Scrooge McDuck, you are about to travel to mysterious places filled with dangerous enemies in order to acquire five Treasures to add to your insane pool of wealth. With the help of your three nephews you will face different scenarios like the forest, snow environments and dark underground mines (among other places). The gameplay mechanics are what many can expect from a platform standpoint and while it may not appear nothing demanding, simple things like jumping from point A to point B will highly depend on how used you are playing similar titles. I often failed a simple jump not because of bad timing but because my own perception of space between two platforms which meant I was being put to the test and patience. It may seem easy for most, but like everything, every player have different strengths or weaknesses depending on the genre.
Aside from maybe one Boss or another, the game is set with a standard difficulty. After around 6 hours I managed to finish the game and was watching the credits. If you are a fan of the DuckTales stories this game can be a great “snack” to play between those lengthy, high story based games. It’s a little adventure with vibrant colors and happy environments that is great to play in short burst if you are taking a break from something.

I while keep on leaving my small impressions as I progress and finish other titles. I was going to write a couple more but I have to leave now so I'm doing that later on. :)

It is a good game, and it deserves to be played, as it's a quite unique gameplay gem, but I had kind of your opposite reaction to it: I feel people blew it out of proportion, overhyping it.

The game's very limited in what you can do, yes you can approach things in more than one way: but those various ways remain the same ones for all the missions. The gameplay doesn't evolve much during the course of the "campaign", which, by the way, is very short and repetitive: all missions are "hack this and get out", the optional goals aren't worth your time, unless you accidentally complete them without even noticing (happened to me most of the times). Also the story doesn't really branches off, unless you consider that one instance when you can choose between two different missions; for the rest it's all minor stuff that doesn't actually change the way the plot unfolds.

There are very insteresting things, such as the way upgrades work, the cross-link system, the way the plot is narrated and the great sense of humour employed by the developer. But it's not that mind-blowing of a game in my opinion.

Fair points. Maybe I just didn't let the hype get to me since it's not the type of game I usually get excited about. I don't mind it being mostly linear, and I didn't find the repetition to be a problem since it was somewhat short and had a decent difficulty curve. It's not like I'd give it game of the year or anything, but I think its at a level of quality where everyone that might be interested in this style of game should check it out at sale/bundle prices at least.

FloatOn

I think I just convinced myself of becoming a proper pc gamer and owning a wii u.

I made a list of the exclusives that are out and what is announced to come out. shit just got real.

(not to mention all the stuff I missed by not owning a wii)

Tellaerin

Thanks for the heads-up, man. Kind of surprised the game's 371 mb, since I remember playing this off of a floppy on my Tandy 1000 back in the day. Wondering what the extra space is for now (CD audio? Dev commentary?)

louiedog

Thanks for the heads-up, man. Kind of surprised the game's 371 mb, since I remember playing this off of a floppy on my Tandy 1000 back in the day. Wondering what the extra space is for now (CD audio? Dev commentary?)

A fan wrote an album inspired by the game to serve as a soundtrack and they put it in the this release. I assume it's mostly that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think I just convinced myself of becoming a proper pc gamer and owning a wii u.

I made a list of the exclusives that are out and what is announced to come out. shit just got real.

(not to mention all the stuff I missed by not owning a wii)

Get ready to live man

WHAT?! IT CAN BE PLAYED IN 3D?!

Is that only for the PS4 version or can I do it on the PC version with a 3D TV?!

JEZUS...

Sorry, I don't know. We played it on the PS4.
Free Wasteland 1, I didn't try by myself because I jost won one copy from Steamgift :S

Steamgift is still around? I haven't been on there in at least two years, probably three. Last thin I remember winning was Petz Catz 2.

Dr Dogg

Well seeing we're in Shocktober which I suposse we could dub spooky month I've been having a look-see at the two prominent horrifying releases that came out earlier and how they are doing re amount of players.

Quite interesting to see there. Now Alien Isolation was an AMD bundled game and was also available for cheap by various other means so that's probably accounting for more lifetime concurrent players but the daily peak and current player counts are really close. Be interesting to see where they stand on 31st and maybe when some of their respective season pass content comes out.

Shadownet

Banned
Since SteamGAF loves Disney stuff. I thought this was pretty amazing. Japanese illustrator Chaico drew Disney animals characters if they were human. I would totally watch an animated movie or play a game with any of these characters. She obviously drew her inspiration from Ghibli, I love it. More can be found here, here, and here.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Wasteland 1 -- MB-A70E86BEBD706127 - Taken by crazyrabbits
If you can't register to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom