• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudoboi

I want OlliOlli in a bad way... I've had my eye on Shadow Warrior for a while... and I'm dying for Gods Will Be Watching on a fundamental level, despite the fact that I could try the demo out but I never remember to until I'm at work...

And then there's the flashback of the .gif to wait for the dailies. We can go lower. It's getting close now. And my backlog is a beast.

wait what... there is a demo for gods will be watching?

Grief.exe

Hmm well out of a sense of morbid curiosity after checking both the player counts for Alien Isolation and The Evil Within, I though why not see how Borderlans The Pre-sequel is faring. I mean it's not set GAF alight so must be a pretty low turn ou...

http://steamcharts.com/app/261640

Well I didn't expect that!

The problem with The Evil Within is it wasn't tracking on the Steam Community for a couple of days. So we will never know how well it did on launch.

Mordor actually performed very well on PC with a 50k peak concurrent.

And about 4 or 5 free weekends. Can't really compare the two to be fair but by just going from the buzz or lack there of it about this game to have 55,000+ already just boggles my mind. Shows what I know about the mainstream audience.

I believe the peak player count for BL2 came during launch week.

wait what... there is a demo for gods will be watching?

Demo isn't the best word for me to use. I don't think it was an alpha, either. Basically, there was one of those game jams where the idea was to smash out a game with a certain theme... in this case, minimalism.

http://www.deconstructeam.com/games/gods-will-be-watching/

I forgot to add to the list of games that I want to check out but don't want to pull the trigger on: Always Sometimes Monsters.

I purposefully left out: Hatoful. I just can't. Sorry, SteamGAF. I'm drawing my line in the sand. I'm talking about unchecked aggression, here, Dude.

Lomax

Since they farmed out development, one would assume Gearbox's expectations for Borderands Pre-Sequel are more reasonable/restrained, but by most standards a drop in day one players by almost 60% from the previous title would be a pretty shocking development. But you can put me in the group that pre-ordered BL2 but is waiting for a sale to get TPS, as much because I still have some BL2 DLC to play as any other reason, and TPS never went on sale for as low as BL2 did (I paid $36 for BL2 on GMG).

Tizoc

Oh well his is ridiculous: I Moved Mordor to my 2 TB Ex. HDD, but now Steam is downloading the update to the folder it was originally in :/

I'll back up the save data, delete files/uninstall it, then have it re-install in the ex. HDD. Since the Ex. HDD already has majority of the files originally, will it recognize them and just download any missing files/updates?

Holy cow, tons of pages since last night.

Anything interesting happen that I missed?

Free Wasteland 1 :p

Grief.exe

Oh well his is ridiculous: I Moved Mordor to my 2 TB Ex. HDD, but now Steam is downloading the update to the folder it was originally in :/

I'll back up the save data, delete files/uninstall it, then have it re-install in the ex. HDD. Since the Ex. HDD already has majority of the files originally, will it recognize them and just download any missing files/updates?

You have to move the .asf file associated with the appid as well.

It's in the Steamapps folder.

Miguel81

Gamersgate just sent me a 20% off coupon that can be use for Unity. Really tempted to get the Gold Edition for $71 instead of $90. But I'm so weird. I feel like Uplay code is such a deal breaker D:

Just got one too. I feel so special, since it's a rarity to get vouchers from that place. You could get the Uplay version, and then get the Steam version whenever it's cheap. Save some dough.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, thanks. It's hard to tell if 9+ new pages were "Oh my god [X] thing really happened and I [love/hate] it!" or "Hey guys, check out this new waifu picture I found!".

Depending on timezones, discussion topics included Costume Quest 2, keyboards, video game prices, the Neo-Geo and the potential of ports on Steam, Zeliard and Bayo 2, Grimrock 2, a new mediocre Shiny Loot bundle, and a game called Dinosaur: Resurrection not actually having any dinosaurs in it.

So fucking off topic that it's a disgrace to Neogaf and Steam. May Gaben have mercy on our worthless souls in Volvogeddon.

Grief.exe

why are early access games allowed to go on sale?

Isn't the entire point of Early Access and Kickstarter to fund development? Putting games on sale encourages more people to purchase the game and increase development resources.

Why are there games on Steam that are not completed and not in early access? Broken Age and Spacebase DF9

DF9 is technically finished as far as Double Fine is concerned. Broken Age part two will likely be released as a separate app, but I am not too familiar with either.

DF9 is technically finished as far as Double Fine is concerned. Broken Age part two will likely be released as a separate app, but I am not too familiar with either.

According to the most recent documentary episode they are going to add it onto the end of the first chapter so it's one continuous game

Nzyme32

Hmm well out of a sense of morbid curiosity after checking both the player counts for Alien Isolation and The Evil Within, I though why not see how Borderlans The Pre-sequel is faring. I mean it's not set GAF alight so must be a pretty low turn ou...

http://steamcharts.com/app/261640

Well I didn't expect that!

GAF be slippin'

I really enjoyed going through Borderlands 1 with a friend, and I assume I'd enjoy both 2 and this new one as long as I was doing it with friends. Still though, the experience felt meaningless once I'd reached the end of the first since it just kind of stops and does nothing interesting other than let you start over. Not that there was some amazing story going on to offer any closure anyway, but I felt it needed something. That is my main reason for not having bothered with BL2 or the new one.

zkylon

zkylewd
i dunno why people is always so upset about early access games, you don't like em you don't have to buy them. and they always have a big ass disclaimer on the front saying "don't buy this if you're smart"

would be awesome if there was some accountability for them tho, so many shady projects

kudoboi

it came back to haunt me D:

pmi4ruR.png

also for those who hate the blue layout on the steam store, there are themes that bring the old colour scheme back.

eg: https://userstyles.org/styles/105705/raydell-s-dark-steam-ui-theme-only

requires stylish extension on firefox or chrome though

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm so I should copy that file to my Ex. HDD, then delete the original files, then have Steam 'sync' with the ex. hdd when I re-download it?

When you say you moved Mordor to your external, what exactly did you do? Simply cutting and pasting the folder won't work. If you're going to move games to a different drive, either use symbolic links so Steam thinks the game is still installed in its original location or make the second location a secondary library folder, move your game there, uninstall it via Steam, then reinstall it via Steam (selecting said secondary location).

Nzyme32

i dunno why people is always so upset about early access games, you don't like em you don't have to buy them. and they always have a big ass disclaimer on the front saying "don't buy this if you're smart"

would be awesome if there was some accountability for them tho, so many shady projects

Yeah, I often feel that is why Valve isn't doing anything to prevent devs or protect users from what happens with Early Access. Originally people didn't fear it, but then the horror stories come out, people got more cautious - which they should be when concerning something which is so variable and open to developer interpretation.

Early Access should be for experimentation and should be viewed with absolute caution, but for those devs that really make something out of it, the users that buy into that often end up with something brilliant.

I'd argure "Early Access" really is the wrong name for the idea though, because the idea is to also encourage freedom during development which can go in all kinds of directions including starting from scratch. Meanwhile there are still people out there that just associate "Early Access", with something along the lines of "early access to a functional product that will continue to have features added to it and progress through development in a linear fashion - oh and by the way it is cheaper than a normal game" - which is the obvious problem

dex3108

Are you suggesting there should be no games released in parts or episodes on Steam? No Telltale, no Dream Machine, no Kentucky Route Zero?

If they are meant to be episodic i don't have anything against it. Also many of those episodic games have rough release dates for each episode. Broken Age is now 3 years in development with multiple missed release dates and it seems that part two will miss this year release date too. So yes i have issue with Broken Age because i am waiting for ages to finish game.

The didn't fulfil their promises and road maps from early access so game is not finished :D

Miguel81

Alien Isolation

I've been playing this one since release and have just reached Chapter 7. This is mostly due to leaving it to night-only play. It's the real dead in terms of horror and provides plentiful of scares. The anxiety and fear from being around a Xenormorph is really on a whole other level. There's no running away until you find a hiding spot Outlast-like, if you face the creature -- You're Dead. Hiding in a locker or under a medical table and not knowing if it decides to do a thorough check is a cause for deep breaths. There are a variety of items that you collect, and I'm trying to get as many ID tags as I can and I always read through logs. The environment also has some info sprayed here and there. There are items to collect which you use to build bombs and medkits. I haven't had too much use for the bombs, but I love to flashbang synthetics and hear/see their reactions. This game is a rec....and I can't wait to get back to it tonight.

The visual and audio quality are top notch. There is aliasing due to the shaders, but if you can look to the lighting and visual design instead you'll be impressed. The audio is uncompressed(?) or at least it sounds like it. There is an option for "Full Dynamic Range" which you should tick if you're using a decent set of speakers and/or headphones. It fill the whole room and the positioning is fantastic. Keyboard/Mouse control is pretty good, and setup was breeze because the game doesn't require that many functions.

-Deimos

OARIC was removed very recently (about 18 hours ago), however it's still ACRTAG-locked and has been from the off. That being said, the presently-region-free ROW sub can be had for approx. $32 (almost half price) through an Indonesian trader.

Where does it show the OARIC flag? I only noticed ARCTAG being set to off recently, before that it was on. And it looks like theres a new non-locked russian sub...i'm confused.

louiedog

I just noticed the developer for Project Cars is named Slightly Mad.

Hehe guess everyone is Slightly Mad about the delay news.

It's my fault.

Early last year I was attacked in discussion about how PC Gamers are the master race when I said that Forza and Gran Turismo have no equal on PC because I left out Project Cars. I responded that a game that was two years away doesn't exactly count. I should have said 18 months. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom