• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I often feel that is why Valve isn't doing anything to prevent devs or protect users from what happens with Early Access. Originally people didn't fear it, but then the horror stories come out, people got more cautious - which they should be when concerning something which is so variable and open to developer interpretation.

Early Access should be for experimentation and should be viewed with absolute caution, but for those devs that really make something out of it, the users that buy into that often end up with something brilliant.

I'd argure "Early Access" really is the wrong name for the idea though, because the idea is to also encourage freedom during development which can go in all kinds of directions including starting from scratch. Meanwhile there are still people out there that just associate "Early Access", with something along the lines of "early access to a functional product that will continue to have features added to it and progress through development in a linear fashion - oh and by the way it is cheaper than a normal game" - which is the obvious problem
yeah i mean i don't mind it too much because it's not like that dayz clone game that scammed everyone by saying it was finished or something

you know you're getting into something in a pretty unfinished state and you know it might die and you're being told very directly which is why i don't really hate it.

problem is lots of people consider it as a preorder or something, maybe they really should change the name but "alpha shit" doesn't sound marketeable :p

also i dunno what happened with spacebase, doublefine is so weird nowadays

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where does it show the OARIC flag? I only noticed ARCTAG being set to off recently, before that it was on. And it looks like theres a new non-locked russian package...i'm confused.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was referring to the replacement RU/CIS sub. It was OARIC-locked initially but later removed, however ACRTAG has been there since it went up a few days ago. As I said, though, you can still buy the game through an Indonesian trader for about $32 -- you're looking at an extra ~$10 compared to buying it through someone in Eastern Europe, but $32 certainly beats paying $60.

Miguel81

I just noticed the developer for Project Cars is named Slightly Mad.

Hehe guess everyone is Slightly Mad about the delay news.

Wii U owners give no fucks about this news. I was looking forward to finally seeing that game in person after all of the beautiful shots/videos over the last year.

Grief.exe

yeah i mean i don't mind it too much because it's not like that dayz clone game that scammed everyone by saying it was finished or something

you know you're getting into something in a pretty unfinished state and you know it might die and you're being told very directly which is why i don't really hate it.

problem is lots of people consider it as a preorder or something, maybe they really should change the name but "alpha shit" doesn't sound marketeable :p

also i dunno what happened with spacebase, doublefine is so weird nowadays

Kottick has always had the impression that Schaffer is an excellent idea man, but terrible on the business side. This is coming from one of the most shrewd business minds in the industry.

Double Fine had trouble realistically expanding the budget for Broken Age, then reigning it in when Spacebase wasn't a hit.

Maniac

Banned
Edit: Don't worry, if you're here a lot. You're going to feel beaten by either Turf, JaseC or one of the other lightning speed gaffers sooner or later. (I'm not one of them)
My solution thus far is to just not look for the news, as I know I'll find them here soon enough. And I'm not foolish enough to post them because I'm a slowpoke noob-thang. :(

Seriously though, I don't do much around these parts other than complain about things, ask if anyone has an AMD-Gold Star Citizen key and talk lots and lots of OT*.

I really like it.

*And a lot of on-topic stuff. Like vidya stuff.

Afair KS failed for this one.

I just looked into it. Their KS was successful but a while ago I think they said they couldn't guarantee Steam keys and that they had only promised a DRM free version. Now though it seems they are looking into the process of acquiring Steam and GOG keys for their backers.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Wings! Remastered Edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/320840/

header.jpg

pleasebeatleastdecent
pleasebeatleastdecent
pleasebeatleastdecent

So are any of us going to buy it to see if it's good? Or are we all broke at the exact same time? :|

Shadownet

Banned
So GAF, what do you guys think of Dying Light so far? Anyone interested in it?
My solution thus far is to just not look for the news, as I know I'll find them here soon enough. And I'm not foolish enough to post them because I'm a slowpoke noob-thang. :(
Yup why even bother when Turf is one of the best news messengers I've ever seen! I might as well cancel my newspaper subscription!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So are any of us going to buy it to see if it's good? Or are we all broke at the exact same time? :|

Of course we're all broke at the same time, have you seen all the new releases lately?

zkylon

zkylewd
Kottick has always had the impression that Schaffer is an excellent idea man, but terrible on the business side. This is coming from one of the most shrewd business minds in the industry.

Double Fine had trouble realistically expanding the budget for Broken Age, then reigning it in when Spacebase wasn't a hit.
from the broken age documentary i'm pretty sure tim doesn't make most of the business decisions in double fine. and like wasn't spacebase a completely separate project from him, like costume quest or something?

also i dunno if i'd call bobby kotick shrewd, considering how activision basically ruined all its franchises (they fucking deleted an entire genre in like 4 years lol), made enemies with many of the developers working under them and just spent a bazillion dollars on making destiny.

Maniac

Banned
So GAF, what do you guys think of Dying Light so far? Anyone interested in it?

Yup why even bother when Turf is one of the best news messengers I've ever seen! I might as well cancel my newspaper subscription!
I enjoy punching and whacking zombies. I also enjoy 'sploding them. I enjoy day & night cycles and glowy eyes at night. I also enjoy jumping around like a parkour ninja... Except for in real life, my back is like that of a 60 year old coal miners. Oh, and I kind of think the game looks good, if I forgot to mention that. :p

And mind, I already did cancel my newspaper subscription!
That's a lie. I've never had one
GAF is a great place for gaming-related news though, hence why this place is such a good source / inspiration / rip-off-place for news sites.

Of course we're all broke at the same time, have you seen all the new releases lately?
I can't help but agree. Atleast I'm nearing 500 games, but god damn if my wallet isn't aching. I'll never get a G-sync monitor if I keep this up.
To be fair, he's an evil mastermind of ripping people off. I imagine that to him, anyone that isn't actively looking to rip-off their customers aren't doing it right.
... Although I bought DF9. And it was a god damn rip-off.

JaseC

With the Autumn and Winter Sales fast approaching, I've decided to exercise a modicum of self-restraint frugality and ignore <66% discounts going forward, with a couple of exceptions (namely titles that are dirt cheap as a result of a lesser discount and software that is liable to be superseded before being discounted again -- I'm looking at you, everything-by-MAGIX).

Tizoc

When you say you moved Mordor to your external, what exactly did you do? Simply cutting and pasting the folder won't work. If you're going to move games to a different drive, either use symbolic links so Steam thinks the game is still installed in its original location or make the second location a secondary library folder, move your game there, uninstall it via Steam, then reinstall it via Steam (selecting said secondary location).

Oh i didn't do the latter; I just used Steam Mover to move the game to my Ex. HDD.

zkylon

zkylewd
Shadowrun Returns, yay or nay?

i'd say if it's standalone try to just get the berlin expansion

haven't played lots of it but so far it's been much better than the main game

main game is alright but they redid the interface for the expansion and added quicksaving and it's oh so much better

MattyG

Banned
i'd say if it's standalone try to just get the berlin expansion

haven't played lots of it but so far it's been much better than the main game

main game is alright but they redid the interface for the expansion and added quicksaving and it's oh so much better

All my yays

That said, you're better off getting the Dragonfall standalone expansion, as it updates a lot of the core game.
Well maybe I'll wait then. I only asked because it's like $4 at GMG right now.

JaseC

Oh i didn't do the latter; I just used Steam Mover to move the game to my Ex. HDD.

Something must have gone wrong as there should be a symbolic link folder where the game originally was. It sounds like Steam created the folder anew upon detecting an update when it should have been rerouted to your external drive.

Maniac

Banned
With the Autumn and Winter Sales fast approaching, I've decided to exercise a modicum of self-restraint frugality and ignore <66% discounts going forward, with a couple of exceptions (namely titles that are dirt cheap as a result of a lesser discount and software that is liable to be superseded before being discounted again -- I'm looking at you, everything-by-MAGIX).
Yeah, same here... Kind of. Couldn't help but nab Dead Rising 3, Alien: Isolation and Shadow of Mordor off of my favourite russian bear, Dmix. Glad I did before Valve were arses and shot our ruskibears. :(

On that note, I wonder if Evil Within will see a decent discount come christmas... One can hope, right?

PS: X-Com's expansion at 80% off, yay or nay? Can't imagine it getting much cheaper anytime soon, if cheaper at all.

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, same here... Kind of. Couldn't help but nab Dead Rising 3, Alien: Isolation and Shadow of Mordor off of my favourite russian bear, Dmix. Glad I did before Valve were arses and shot our ruskibears. :(

On that note, I wonder if Evil Within will see a decent discount come christmas... One can hope, right?

PS: X-Com's expansion at 80% off, yay or nay? Can't imagine it getting much cheaper anytime soon, if cheaper at all.
What happened to the Russians? I keep seeing posts about it but I can't figure out what happened.

JaseC

What happened to the Russians? I keep seeing posts about it but I can't figure out what happened.

As of about a month ago, cross-region trading/gifting is disabled by default, meaning gift copies sourced from Eastern Europe, South America or South-east Asia are region-locked.

JaseC

Oh, yeah, pre-orders with incentives are fair game, too. After today the only 2014 ones left on my radar will be The Crew and that Company of Heroes 2 expansion.

anyone bought from www.gamestop.com outside the USA?

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/lo...7&sourceID=cVR20kC0FGg-McSKe0zL66zS7xMMp3ZkXQ

Current Lowest Price: $42.49 at GameStop PC after coupon code PCD15PR (Activates on Steam) (Info)

I know amazon will work using fake address, but gamestop?

You need a valid US-based payment method to purchase (most games) from GS. A VPN + fake address doesn't cut it.

Jawmuncher

The wasteland code I won is missing a digit at the end.
What are all the letters that can be used on a steam code?
Just letter and numbers right?

MattyG

Banned
Is it possible to use the Steam gift feature to gift a game bought on GMG (actually it's just the free XCOM from the Golder Joysicks, he just doesn't know about it and I already have it) to a friend? Or should I just send him the code?

JaseC

Is it possible to use the Steam gift feature to gift a game bought on GMG (actually it's just the free XCOM from the Golder Joysicks, he just doesn't know about it and I already have it) to a friend? Or should I just send him the code?

The latter. It's not possible to redeem keys as gift copies.

Decisions, decisions...

Should I buy the Arcania & Gothic bundle for 3 keys from TF2O, or the Tomb Raider Collection for 4 keys? I have played Gothic II and hated it (yet heard great things about Gothic III with a community patch) so that might be worth it, or I could pay 1 key extra and get the whole TR franchise with Guardian of Light (which I really want to try).

fernandes

There's no way to turn keys into giftable games on Steam so you have to just send him the code.

zkylon

zkylewd

send him the code

MattyG

Banned
The latter. It's not possible to redeem keys as gift copies.

Decisions, decisions...

Should I buy the Arcania & Gothic bundle for 3 keys from TF2O, or the Tomb Raider Collection for 4 keys? I have played Gothic II and hated it (yet heard great things about Gothic III with a community patch) so that might be worth it, or I could pay 1 key extra and get the whole TR franchise with Guardian of Light (which I really want to try).

send him the code
Ok, thanks!

Miguel81

Decisions, decisions...

I vote Tomb Raider. It's a helluva collection spanning 3 decades. You get to see Lara coming of age, and gettin' with the times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom