• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea i saw that a few days ago. idk man, those cutscenes games aren't so great looking but i guess thats not surpising since its a budget game. btw, im not saying they're bad, they just don't live up to the show's animation
It's just an animation studio hired by Activision to do the cutscenes, of course studio Mir's works look better.

So far I've put 12 hours into Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel playing as Athena. Here are some random thoughts in bullet points...

- The game is more or less more of Borderlands 2. That's a good or bad thing based on what you think about Borderlands 2.
- The Pre-Sequel is funny and irreverent but I don't think it's quite as funny as Borderlands 2. Most of the new NPCs, so far, really aren't all that memorable. In part it's probably because of the Aussie slang, sometimes it's funny and other times I don't know what's being said.
- I haven't had a chance to play any coop yet and see how the new player characters interact with each other.
- The low gravity environment is actually pretty fun. Not simply because of how you get to make use of it but also how the enemies do. They're much more mobile in The Pre-Sequel versus Borderlands 2.
- The oxygen meter isn't really a constraint of any sort, it's mostly a mobility resource using oxygen bursts to get more out of a jump or to boost yourself to do a ground slam. The ground slams are super fun to use, Athena has a class modifier which sucks everyone in towards her and you get all sorts of element effects on your Oz Kits for your ground slams.
- Enemies don't backtrack and duck behind cover the moment your downed and in the fight for your life mode. This was a huge pet peeve for me with Borderlands 2.
- They've kind of changed how enemies spawn in this game. In The Pre-Sequel you fight larger waves of enemies in a given area that don't re-spawn as quickly as they do in Borderlands 2. Some people seem to think this makes the game a little harder, I just think it makes it easier to re-travel the same areas.
- The new ice and laser weapons are fun. The ice element weapons fit in really nicely with the existing element types. You can freeze enemies solid, which does damage over time and you can shatter them with melee attacks. The laser weapons I'm honestly indifferent to. They aren't ammo hogs the way Eredium weapons were in Borderlands 2, so they got that going for them.
- The fast travel and vehicle spawn points seem spread out waaay too far apart and I find myself having to move around some areas on foot too often.
- The new Stingray vehicle (single person vehicle) is super fun to use, it's very fast, much more mobile than the Moon Buggy (2 person) and you can do ground slams in it, although your Oz Kit element isn't used with this.

Overall it's been pretty fun so far. I just need to get some coop action in with some friends.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
oh man ... predictably enough - steam community discussions on Fist of Jesus are all kinds of entertaining
and cuckoo
:p enjoy

When I play Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, randoms spots on the screen flash black, or something like that. I had the game auto-adjust the settings, and they weren't set to the lowest, so my computer should be fine running it. Anyone know what the problem is?

Ozium

sup guys

1409162984702.gif

rookiejet

Every night, my older brother tries to goad me into a brawl by standing outside my room and screaming expletives and derogatory phrases for 20 minutes. But he always follows it by calling himself The Rock in an almost comical fashion. I want to play a wrestling game now.

That seems awful, Kirosia :/ Is it serious? Like, if you're being harmed (and not just physically) you can reach out to the authorities. That kind of stuff tends to just get worse. You can request a domestic violence restraining order until you can live away from your brother.

inm8num2

Interesting to see some more classics released today - looks like Night Dive is helping to bring the Microprose (Tommo) games to Steam. They could end up in a future Night Dive Humble Bundle or something.

Grief.exe

Interesting to see some more classics released today - looks like Night Dive is helping to bring the Microprose (Tommo) games to Steam. They could end up in a future Night Dive Humble Bundle or something.

If Night Dive can make NOLF happen we will be endlessly praising their prowess.

Well, I think I'm done with Alien.

Typically I'm not really into "horror" games, or even "scary" games. I just don't enjoy them. I tried to stick it out with Alien since I liked the atmosphere, but I realized today that I'm playing it to play it, not to enjoy it.

I'm also really not a fan of the save system, and the way that the Alien seems to rubber-band to the area you're in if it's out and about. I literally went through three distinct areas, overriding the doors behind me (in case it started heading my way) only to have the Alien inevitably end up in the same area I was in, just randomly walking through rooms (not even searching, just going for a brisk walk).

Overall, not a fan. I'm not saying it's a bad game (it's actually pretty good) but it's just not for me.

That said, I started Sniper Elite 3 after I dropped Alien and I'm really liking that so far.

Zafir

Yeah, I've played a bit of Alien myself and seen other people play pretty far into it and I've kind of decided it isn't for me. Not that I'm too surprised about that. I'm not a massive stealth game fan anyway, and the only reason I gave it a shot was because of the cheap amd code, lol.

The save system is what really put me off mind you. Didn't like it for the same reason I don't like how dying in a Souls game puts you back to the start of the section/bonfire. I really enjoy the combat and the bosses in the Souls games though so I can at least tolerate it, where as since I'm not the biggest stealth fanatic anyway, I just don't have the motivation to push through Alien.

Alien Isolation seems great if you really like stealth and don't mind the save system though. The atmosphere was pretty fantastic.

Miguel81

Good call, dropping Alien if you're not enjoying it. Were you playing it on hard btw? I've been crouching for 90% of the game so far at this difficulty level, and fearing for my life as I search for tags.

Edit: Amnesia would have been much more unnerving with this save system.

Alien Isolation seems great if you really like stealth and don't mind the save system though. The atmosphere was pretty fantastic.
Yeah, it's pretty stealth-oriented, but the save system makes it really punishing.

Good call, dropping Alien if you're not enjoying it. Were you playing it on hard btw? I've been crouching for 90% of the game so far at this difficulty level, and fearing for my life as I search for tags.

Edit: Amnesia would have been much more unnerving with this save system.

I was playing it on Hard. I dropped it down to Easy in the last chapter I played, but it still didn't help.

The save system is really the core of what makes the game "work", and by that I mean it's what makes it "tense". The problem is that in making it "tense" it also made it super punishing, which, to me at least, kind of removes the "fun" from it and makes it more of an "experience" and less of a "game".

Again, nothing wrong with the game (except the save system), it's more that it's not my kind of game.

Deitus

Since Payday 2 is free for the next couple of days, does anyone want to play this weekend? Seems to be well liked around here, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

rtcn63

That seems awful, Kirosia :/ Is it serious? Like, if you're being harmed (and not just physically) you can reach out to the authorities. That kind of stuff tends to just get worse. You can request a domestic violence restraining order until you can live away from your brother.

No, he's just a prick and a coward. He wouldn't engage first, as he believes himself the hero of the story inside his head, and so I have to make the move. We've been in tussles all our lives, and once I was big enough to fight back, I'd always have the upper hand. He's never got over not being able to bully me so easily anymore.

_hekk05

Banned
Brilliant idea of putting my name into my new avatar so people can still recognise me. This is gonna be my thing now.

Now let me go slog through shadow of mordor at 19 fps

inm8num2

If Night Dive can make NOLF happen we will be endlessly praising their prowess.

They apparently filed for a trademark earlier this year (thread), so I guess it's a strong possibility!

In fact, in GOG's recent Q&A they mentioned that in the next 30 days they're going to have a big release from the top of their wishlist. I think it's the first System Shock (which the developers revisited this month in a playthrough w/ commentary), but it could very well be NOLF.

Turfster

I think it's the first System Shock (which the developers revisited this month in a playthrough w/ commentary), but it could very well be NOLF.

SS1 would be nice.
I still have my disc copy, but my OCD wants me to have series complete on Steam ;)
NOLF would be amazing.
My discs got lost in one of my moves and finding new ones hasn't really been doable.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Thank you to Shadownet for being genuinely awesome. Barely has any games himself, yet I don't think I've ever seen someone here hand out so many quality games. The guy's a gafional treasure and I his latest pilgrim. I'll stop embarrassing him now but I like to show appreciation where its due.

rookiejet

No, he's just a prick and a coward. He wouldn't engage first, as he believes himself the hero of the story inside his head, and so I have to make the move. We've been in tussles all our lives, and once I was big enough to fight back, I'd always have the upper hand. He's never got over not being able to bully me so easily anymore.

In time it usually works out and people realize how fucked up they were being, or so it's been my experience. Hang in there. Don't feel like you have to stand toe-to-toe with their crap, you're the better person. Like, you don't have to prove you're the bigger asshole, that's their business. And there are people to reach out to, if it gets serious. Hang in there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom