• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Played up to chapter 10 of Evil Within.
Story is slowly piecing itself together it seems.
But oh man there was some really nice tense sections.
Alien isolation never made me feel that way when I played it.

Really? more tense than Alien Isolation? I don't think my poor heart could stand it, it can barely keep up with Alien Isolation.

Jawmuncher

Really? more tense than Alien Isolation? I don't think my poor heart could stand it, it can barely keep up with Alien Isolation.

I know it's going to be a back in forth with others who have played both, but I definitely say so. Much like Alien it's just certain moments but when they're tense they are really tense.
Can't really say much without kinda spoiling it though.

Anteater

With my invisible money from my invisible bank earned from my invisible good job.

why-dont-i-strap-on-msrufj.gif

Miker

My thoughts on DmC: Vergil's Downfall:

Overall, I liked it a lot. I think it provides a tighter, harder, and arguably better DmC experience than the main game, which was kind of start-and-stop with its combat/platforming/cutscene ratio and smaller enemy counts.

The best part is obviously Vergil himself. His moveset is fantastic - it's inspired by his DMC3 moveset, but with some DmC-esque twists. He's a bit more difficult to use than Dante, having trick up instead of his double jump and only one real weapon, but I think most players will enjoy the extra challenge. There are some legitimately good additions to his moveset that I think will make more technical players happy, like perfectly-timed judgment cuts and embedded summoned swords. I would've liked to see more weapons for him besides Yamato (like Force Edge and Beowulf, ha), but the foundation is really solid.

My only real problem with it is that there's no new boss fights, and only one new enemy. There's a kinda shitty miniboss and a tweaked version of the final boss from DmC, with new parts that harken back to DMC1's Nelo Angelo boss fight. What there isn't, however, is a boss fight vs. Dante, which is a huge disappointment.

Overall, I think it's a solid piece of DLC, and I don't think I would've felt ripped off at its original price of $9. If you liked DmC, I'd definitely get Vergil's Downfall when it goes on sale.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
So what is even the point of Don't Starve.

I'm glad I didn't ever buy it. Crafting and wandering around a randomly generated world is boring as fuck.

zkylon

zkylewd
just got a few hours with wasteland 2 and hmm, i'm not sure how i feel about it

it's exactly what would you'd expect if you grabbed fallout but put multiple party members to control in it. there's a lot of annoyances about opening safes and having to check for explosives with dude 2 then checking for alarms with dudette 3 then finally opening the damn thing and making sure every item goes to whoever you want it to go (tho that smart distribute thing is a great idea).

it's hard to keep track of it and just not very much fun, just triple checking every interactable item so it's not boobytrapped or set to an alarm or whatever. and why are there so many similar skills anyway. i mean i guess it makes sense since you can have so many people but i ended up forgetting and putting safecracking on two different characters since it was so much to keep track off. like that one's on me but it's not like the interface is helping (seriously again developers need to put all your character information on a single screen, no scrolling, no zooming, no silly constellation perk things, just gimme all the stats at once)

also not a big fan of the random skillchecks with critical failures that can lock you out of content. that stuff feels dated and wasn't great in fallout and even if i try not to save scum it's just frustrating to hard lock a door and never know what's behind it. these things feel dated, just do the new vegas thing and only let you pass the check if your skill is above x. lot better, specially for a content-based game like this.

what's sad is that i actually really enjoy it whenever it's not being annoying. like it's fallout, you explore cool places, kill everything in them, talk to survivors, they ask you to go look for something, you grab it, meet new people along the way, get more quests, hear about new locations, all that thing is as awesome as it was back in the fallout days and probably in the wasteland 1 days too

so yea, i kinda really hope they do a dragonfall already and fix all the interface issues and make it so that actually interacting with shit isn't so damn tedious. just make it so if i left click it my bestest dude does it

i think the guys at obsidian are being a bit smarter about the design of their game. wasteland 2 seems like it holds old games to too high of a regard to the point that it didn't learn anything from their mistakes, and making an old school game doesn't mean fall into their same trappings. on the other hand i find a lot more rewarding than shadowrun which is really barebones and streamlined to not-so-great levels

i'll keep playing it for a while, but maybe i'll wait for mods and patches and see how it moves forward. i could just go back to divinity, i don't really have any reason not to be playing that

Miguel81

Looking forward to playing TEW, and the change of pace that it will bring(?). Alien has been intense(Chapter 10 so far), and the distance between some save stations really keeps you on your toes.

Tellaerin

also not a big fan of the random skillchecks with critical failures that can lock you out of content. that stuff feels dated and wasn't great in fallout and even if i try not to save scum it's just frustrating to hard lock a door and never know what's behind it. these things feel dated, just do the new vegas thing and only let you pass the check if your skill is above x. lot better, specially for a content-based game like this.

You know, it's weird. I feel the same way you do about missing out on content due to a failed skill check, but I feel like I shouldn't feel that way, if that makes sense. Like I know that the idea's to make failure have consequences and to add replay value, so that I can find out what I missed on the second or later playthroughs if I fail now. Yet despite that, it still really bugs me if I miss anything. : / But if I resort to savescumming to get around the issue, I feel like I'm "playing the game wrong". Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

zkylon

zkylewd
just watched that hatred trailer

what the fuck is wrong with some people

You know, it's weird. I feel the same way you do about missing out on content due to a failed skill check, but I feel like I shouldn't feel that way, if that makes sense. Like I know that the idea's to make failure have consequences and to add replay value, so that I can find out what I missed on the second or later playthroughs if I fail now. Yet despite that, it still really bugs me if I miss anything. : / But if I resort to savescumming to get around the issue, I feel like I'm "playing the game wrong". Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

the problem is that random checks have really no place in modern content-based games. it's not spelunky where locking yourself out from a chest is just part of the experience. or like mount & blade that has millions of quests being dynamically generated and failing them means now people hate you and you can't be their favorite mercenary anymore

missing out on completing a quest in a story-driven rpg because of a random skillcheck failed doesn't create a story for you, it just stops it midway. of course you're gonna savescum. adding a skill requirement doesn't change that all that much but at least it's entirely based on your stats, so you can guilt-free chalk it up to roleplaying if you fail. but like i just got two critical misses in a row and now i can't enter a room. what was inside it? someone i could've talked to?

it feels like it's there because it was there 15 years ago. old school shouldn't mean dated. like look at divinity, that's a great mix of old and new

DocSeuss

They apparently filed for a trademark earlier this year (thread), so I guess it's a strong possibility!

In fact, in GOG's recent Q&A they mentioned that in the next 30 days they're going to have a big release from the top of their wishlist. I think it's the first System Shock (which the developers revisited this month in a playthrough w/ commentary), but it could very well be NOLF.

It's probably NOLF, since nobody's challenged their claim that was filed September 23rd. October 23rd is the final date for people to challenge iirc. After that, it's theirs. So yeah. Within 30 days = some time after October 23rd.

zkylon

zkylewd
so apparently enhanced steam says it's my steam birthday... 7 years

first steam game was the orange box that my uncle from me from the states

crazy

Based Dollarama. I found a copy of MLB Front Office Manager, which had apparently been pulled from Steam. Only $3 in a double-pack with Baseball Mogul 2010. I'm going to have go back and see what other rarities I can find.

Tizoc

I have a dream...and that dream involves All Nihon Falcom games making it to Steam. I need Dinosaur: Resurrection in my life/library
DSCF1725.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Magicka: Wizard Wars RPS Robe Key -- MB-D845EFE0B6F00A09 - Taken by xeris

I almost want to buy Borderlands For the Sequel despite never finishing any of the previous games. I have sickness ;-; Playing as Claptrap seems amusing.

I had some fun with Grid 2 last night (mostly beating Priit's times on the leaderboard), as part of the free weekend (how come it ends today?) and I've been thinking about purchasing it. But then I saw the amount of DLC the game has and the kind of tracks they've been holding back (fucking Spa, which was part of the first Grid? Really?!) and I can't say that I feel like giving Codemasters money anymore. I feel like buying and owning the game is going to make me feel kinda bad. But it was fun!

I had some fun with Grid 2 last night (mostly beating Priit's times on the leaderboard), as part of the free weekend (how come it ends today?) and I've been thinking about purchasing it. But then I saw the amount of DLC the game has and the kind of tracks they've been holding back (fucking Spa, which was part of the first Grid? Really?!) and I can't say that I feel like giving Codemasters money anymore. I feel like buying and owning the game is going to make me feel kinda bad. But it was fun!
Bought it for 2 keys last year, ignore the DLCs, you'll feel happier that way.

Anteater

Playing through Darksiders, for some reason it feels much better this time than last I tried it, maybe my brain was wired differently or something miraculous happened, I remember last time I played there was some annoying input delay with the jump button and maybe the block (the character would take half a second to respond), I don't notice it now and it's pretty fun.

Shadownet

Banned
So you guys remember the solution for Steam Grid View where you can get rid of the horizontal space in between the grids? I don't think it work anymore. Cause everytime I try changing the gamespage_grid document. Restart Steam, Steam would do an update and switch it back to normal. :/

Edit: Found a solution. On GAF nonetheless.

Shadownet

Banned
I fucked up. Watched a review of Evil Within and it looked great. I should've preordered when I had the chance.
Man, you shouldn't go into the OT. It's a mess. Half the people love it, the other half swear it's the biggest disappointment this year.

I love it personally.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Unless I really want the DLCs, it's either complete edition or not at all for me.

This is me now. I used to feel like I needed them all as they came but then I stopped caring and haven't missed out on anything as a result. Pretty much only buy DLC now when it's an actual expansion to a game I want to play. Way too much trash cosmetic DLC on Steam and micro-dlc vomit (hi Paradox).

Honestly, it feels good to not support it anymore, too. I feel like a completely different person but I don't want to become the Steam-DLC version of that person we've all met, the one who recently discovered veganism and became militant after eating enough meat to feed a small village his entire life, so I'm going to slowly back away now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom