• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jase, are you finding that playing Steam Pokemon is sustainable going forward with Valve allowing all these games to be dumped on the store?
Or are you just having more fun than when Stump exploits promotional rewards?

So far, so good!

This one seem like must have!
at least you bought multiplay dlc, I hope

The racing DLC? Yeah, I have that.

Tellaerin

It was for me, and I'm not a min/max type or anything. To Bioware's credit, overpowered mages are a D&D standard, but in those rules they have limitations that aren't present in DA at all.

The problem with mages in games in general is that you're trying to balance something that tends to be inherently unbalanced. In fantasy literature, these guys tend to be the equivalent of heavy artillery, but in tabletop games (and by association, CRPGs), you don't want one character overshadowing all the others in combat, so the mages typically get a bunch of limitations stuck on them to balance things out (usually making them "glass cannons").

I'd like to see a game try a different approach to that. Rather than trying to make every class/character equal, embrace the inequity. Assign a point value to each character based on their class, and limit the number of characters they can take into combat to X number of points. More powerful characters are "worth more". So you could potentially field a whole bunch of basic sword-and-board fighters, a few warriors and a caster or two, etc. It'd be kind of wargame-y, but I think it's worth experimenting with.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Jase, are you finding that playing Steam Pokemon is sustainable going forward with Valve allowing all these games to be dumped on the store?
Or are you just having more fun than Stump, exploiting promotional rewards?
So far, so good!

I applaud him for it. The amount of games being released is really overwhelming compared to when I left. There's no way I'd be able to keep up with collecting now, especially since I'm starting back to graduate school next year and, if I don't want to end up with debt, that's going to take all my disposable income. Fortunately, we are living in the golden age of shit bundles so people like me can still afford to get 50 games/month through bundles and be second-class ghetto collectors.

Deitus

I'd like to see a game try a different approach to that. Rather than trying to make every class/character equal, embrace the inequity. Assign a point value to each character based on their class, and limit the number of characters they can take into combat to X number of points. More powerful characters are "worth more". So you could potentially field a whole bunch of basic sword-and-board fighters, a few warriors and a caster or two, etc. It'd be kind of wargame-y, but I think it's worth experimenting with.

So, Warhammer?

Arthea

The problem with mages in games in general is that you're trying to balance something that tends to be inherently unbalanced. In fantasy literature, these guys tend to be the equivalent of heavy artillery, but in tabletop games (and by association, CRPGs), you don't want one character overshadowing all the others in combat, so the mages typically get a bunch of limitations stuck on them to balance things out (usually making them "glass cannons").

you know... that's exactly how King's Bounty and games like it works. Aside from your hero you can take different units to battles, the weaker ones in numbers the powerful ones not that many or even one, at least at the start, while your main character (hero) is leveling and encounter stronger foes you can have more of powerful characters, but limitations are still there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I applaud him for it. The amount of games being released is really overwhelming compared to when I left. There's no way I'd be able to keep up with collecting now, especially since I'm starting back to graduate school next year and, if I don't want to end up with debt, that's going to take all my disposable income. Fortunately, we are living in the golden age of shit bundles so people like me can still afford to get 50 games/month through bundles and be second-class ghetto collectors.

this is like exactly my feeling on the matter

Arthea

I don't even do collecting, and got some self control back!, so I'm buying way less games and even bundles, but share volume of released games is so huge, that both my gamecount and wishlist are still growing like not much changed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I need to start making an effort to catalogue my bundle purchases. Too many times now I've jumped on a Weekly/discounted new release only to later discover that I had a Steam key waiting for me on one of the many bundle sites.

Turfster

Styx spoiler:
For people that want to get the relic on mission 5
the architect
, it says
hideout, but it's not the zone you start in
, so don't waste your time looking =p

rtcn63

Every night, my older brother tries to goad me into a brawl by standing outside my room and screaming expletives and derogatory phrases for 20 minutes. But he always follows it by calling himself The Rock in an almost comical fashion. I want to play a wrestling game now.

Annubis

Combine that idea + Granado Espada's you control more than one character and TA DA! =)

Turfster

Every night, my older brother tries to goad me into a brawl by standing outside my room and screaming expletives and derogatory phrases for 20 minutes. But he always follows it by calling himself The Rock in an almost comical fashion. I want to play a wrestling game now.

I... what?

Also, Might & Magic X Legacy Deluxe is 75% off on the Mac Game Store again

Next time he does that, open your door really fast and stone cold stunner his ass into oblivion, he will surely never do it again after that.

Miker

Is the Injustice single player fun (and short) enough to download 20 gigs? I have a feeling a large portion of that 20 gigs is shitty quality FMVs, too.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Is the Injustice single player fun (and short) enough to download 20 gigs? I have a feeling a large portion of that 20 gigs is shitty quality FMVs, too.

It took me about 5 hours to beat it. I'm not hugely into fighting games, but I enjoyed it and Mortal Kombat(2011) by the same developers for their story modes. It isn't anything special as far as the writing goes, but it's a whole lot more than the simple 10 or so fights that you usually get as the only form of single-player mode in fighting games.

Miker

Depends. If you are a big fan of the characters? No.

It took me about 5 hours to beat it. I'm not hugely into fighting games, but I enjoyed it and Mortal Kombat(2011) by the same developers for their story modes. It isn't anything special as far as the writing goes, but it's a whole lot more than the simple 10 or so fights that you usually get as the only form of single-player mode in fighting games.

Neither of these are pushing me to download 20 gigs :-/ I guess I'll pass.

Thrakier

Not anything special? I'd say it's very special. And not in the good way. It's basically one huge insult of your intelligence throughout.

Axass

I finally got the stealth ship in FTL!!!

i would like to thank chocolate milk

I just started playing it but I keep dying even on easy, my best result out of like 7-8 tries is getting to the 6th sector.

If any of you guys like Starseed Pilgrim or Fez, you might want to check out Fjords. It's a weird little thing that I'm enjoying figuring out.

Not on Steam though sadly.

Wait, Starseed Pilgrim is similar to Fez? I've had it in my library ever since I bought a bundle, but never tried it.

It's a pretty fun game, but it took me 3.7hrs to beat the single player.
You can replay it on higher difficulties and play the arcade mode if you want, but I was never really into that stuff

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
What the hell is up with Company of Heroes 2? I liked the first game and am something of a radical leftist, so I was like... sweet, an Eastern Front strategy game...

Apparently I missed some controversy when it came out. This game is super racist. There's a barrage of anti-Soviet tropes right from the get-go and for the entire time I'm playing the game Soviet troops are stupidly running into enemy fire like lemmings. I've played for about a half hour hoping that the tropes would die down and I could just get to playing the game, but apparently this is pretty much a game mechanic.

Oh well, at least I didn't pay for it. The game seems to have performance issues on my 5850 anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom