• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
Never launch satalites when they are ready, always keep one waiting in the wings in case you need to reduce the alert level of a country.

Based Grief, that's an excellent idea. I lost India pretty fast, damn shame. I think I'm gonna go ahead and just make a new campaign from scratch now that I have EW, though.

Anymore good tips for people that're utter X-Com-tards like myself? :p

abracadaver

Don't need these:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Baconing -- MB-B616F769B89F6B9F - Taken by Varg. 3 entrants total.
Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-6C81CAB5B35B7F25 - Taken by Asharakk. 2 entrants total.
Precipice of Darkness, Episode One -- MB-2FE2C998DEADA698 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 2 entrants total.
Precipice of Darkness, Episode Two -- MB-EA1397829DEA9EAF - Taken by darkchewie. 2 entrants total.

t1413653661z1.png

My friday night consisted strictly of Fallout: New Vegas and Ben and Jerrys and it was fucking wonderful. Time to do it all over again today.

Also, Ben and Jerrys pints are 2 for 7 at CVS so make sure to cash out GAF

It's a shame the controller that came with the system won't work on PC.
Would have let me at least get something out of it. Since it's not that bad of a controller.

Yeah the controller was a real shame the new "universal controller" does work on PC, use early adopter got shafted in more ways than one.

Grief.exe

Based Grief, that's an excellent idea. I lost India pretty fast, damn shame. I think I'm gonna go ahead and just make a new campaign from scratch now that I have EW, though.

Anymore good tips for people that're utter X-Com-tards like myself? :p

I haven't played in so long, I just can't remember any other tips.

I believe the optimal squads are 2x Assualt with shotguns, 1x Heavy (mostly for rockets), and 1x sniper early on. Later, just add more snipers.

Are those Penny Arcade games any good for someone who hasn't really checked out PA that much, or cared about it, for that matter, beyond the shitty things that one guy said and tried to justify?

Is it something that would need some knowledge for in-jokes, etc?

MRORANGE

Alien Isolation Review:

NlM7F2R.jpg

Just completed it, took me quite a while, but what a fantastic game, I have never seen a game this close to perfecting the Alien experience as this game has. It’s almost uncanny seeing rooms that look identical to the ones you see in the Alien movie. The game was made by The Creative Assembly who are actually more known for RTS games such as Shogun series under SEGA, so it’s a first for them in a while to make a FPS game and in some ways it shows on the way they approached mechanics, everything has this clunky feel that makes it feel realistic, such as navigation ,UI and items, this isn't a game where it will hold your hands and tell you are doing okay, it’s up to you navigate and mange your inventory and escape.

gXaoqTJ.jpg

The game mechanics for me were quite interesting, you had to time your saves otherwise you could be attacked while saving, finding items around the station helped you survive by creating distractions and you were rewarded the more your explored., if you felt the TLOU craft system was good then this is so much better. Using the motion tracker was your main way of navigating the game and avoiding the dangers, as well as the overhead map in the menu, it is very easy to get lost without using this map, in terms of level design it follows closely to how Deus EX:HR was laid out with several ways to enter rooms and tunnels to escape or enter rooms. It’s not a game that will tell you if are doing something wrong and I love it for that, having to search around for items and switches while the Alien was tracking me down felt like a huge game of cat and mouse.

opfNSMK.jpg

Visually the game captures what a Alien game should be it nails down everything on what the movie looked like. Alien Isolation is one pretty game, with its neon lighting up the dark corridors and windows showing into the bleak space environment surrounding your it’s a throwback to Alien on how space travel isn’t as beautifully as we would have thought. Amazingly I was able to max out the game on my old PC and it looks great, the game managed to avoid the cliché space station look that we had on the previous alien games while crafting its own original look and it paid off quite well. The audio in the game it will leave you on a knife edge, if you are not using headphones you are not playing the game right at all. I found I was much more alert with the audio queues and trying to guess where the alien was heading towards as it scuttled above me.

NgmFj5e.jpg

The story has so many nods to the movie it’s unfair to say anything about it, but if they wanted to make this into a direct sequel to Alien I would have no qualms with it, with the voice acting being top notch and the links to the movie it does a better job than Prometheus of explaining the events of the first move. As for the ending I thought it was pretty fitting, I know people wanted closure but looking at the first Alien film it felt as if that was the right way to end the game.

N2a3Uvo.jpg

The main thing however is the Alien, the game pretty much was dependent on how this Alien would turn out and yes they nailed it, the Alien is quite a formidable opponent in the game, in most cases causing a barrier as you try and get past it, some favorable moments were the medical room and some of the later levels, where the alien was a constant danger and you really had to think about your stealth techniques and timing and not running around like a idiot. One of the problems with horror games is that the more you see of a creature the less scared you felt afterwards with more encounters, I felt the same with Alien Isolation, although they did try and address this problem later with levels that force you to be trapped in the same room with the alien. One gripe however was introducing the flamethrower early, it really should have been a item given at the end of the game.

WDKdNMa.jpg

The game AI is great, having a game I decided to use guns to lure it and hid and it often checked lockers on which I shot at and the surround areas, I wish it was a bit more aggresive, but it could be fact I was playing on medium. The Alien was smart and often checked patterns on where I was and adapted to wherever events were happening, one thing you need to make sure is not to drag attention to yourself. One enemy that creped me out was the androids, with their emotionless bodies they are something that you have to watch out for. Human foes are easy to dispatch but they could result in the Alien appearing if you start going in guns blazing. I never felt cheated by the game AI, it’s a tough game at first but it will reward you if you use stealth and craft items for diversion.

On conclusion it’s a fantastic homage to the Alien franchise with different game mechanics which goes against the trend but felt right in this type of game. Easily the greatest Alien game of all time and a real GOTY contender. Major applause's for the game mechanics and sound/level design. Honestly IGN should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

DnO17a8.jpg

TL:DR: 9/10

+ Amazing game with some clever design quirks makes it a GOTY contender easily.
+ One of the most loyal movie to game transitions I might have played
+ One of the best games out there to use with headphones.
+ Fantastic steath/craft/save system, really makes you balance your resources and actions.
- Don't introduce the flamethrower so early.
- 3rd level hacking devices were stupid, plus some other QTE’s could have been removed.

SmithnCo

Downloaded Injustice for the free weekend and the timing for the combo inputs was really weird to me. Seems pretty different from SF or Marvel.

Lomax

Are those Penny Arcade games any good for someone who hasn't really checked out PA that much, or cared about it, for that matter, beyond the shitty things that one guy said and tried to justify?

Is it something that would need some knowledge for in-jokes, etc?

There's some level of in-jokes, but it's all pretty self explanatory. Though if you know that you absolutely hate their style of humor you probably won't like the games either. But personally I really loved those two games in the series, they have that style of RPG combat not often seen on the PC, similar to Costume Quest but more involved.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hello SteamGAF !
It seems that GungHo America is planning to bring more japanese games on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gunghoamerica

May I remember you that GungHo owns Grasshoper Manufacture (Suda51 games such as No More Heroes or Killer7), Game Arts (Lunar, Grandia, Dokuro), Acquire (Way of the Samurai, Tenchu) and Gravity ?

And the first one is Dokuro:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323668796

So I'm counting on you guys to spread the good word :)

I can get behind this.

Finally 100%'ed Borderlands 2. Now I'm free to live a normal life again, get some work done, go outside...

Oh wait. I still haven't beaten Dark Souls...

:(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just finished Final Fantasy IV (the recently released 3D remake) after 32 hours. This game was amazing: the story, the characters, the setting everything was top notch. While the 3D effects could have been done better for PC (this was graphically a straight port from iOS version which itself was a port of the DS version) the gameplay held up really well.

One of the reasons it took me so long is I was trying to obtain the "Rainbow Pudding" item which only certain enemies drop and only very very rarely. Once I got to the final dungeon I fought over 500 battles with the Flan Princess (the enemy with the highest drop chance) while wearing the "Treasure Hunter" augment and still didn't get one. I even got FOUR pink tails (an even more rare item) but no pudding. Just bad luck I suppose.

I'm definitely planning on plaything through this again with New Game+ mode, this time on hard difficulty. There are still 10 achievements left for me to get, most of which can only be obtained on a second play through.

If you're a fan of Final Fantasy and haven't played this game or it's 3D remake, you definitely need to pick it up.

EDIT: this was my 51st game I've beat so far this year. Only one more to go!

Li Kao

Gottferdom, Speedrunners discounted. I hope Dunder will organize another session soon because I will surely bite the bullet now.

Speedrunners looks interesting. Is it a bit like Micro Machines?

Unnh, what I would give for a PC port of the Micro Machines episode with the little running characters and online functionnality.

Edit - Micro Maniacs. Good shit.

There's some level of in-jokes, but it's all pretty self explanatory. Though if you know that you absolutely hate their style of humor you probably won't like the games either. But personally I really loved those two games in the series, they have that style of RPG combat not often seen on the PC, similar to Costume Quest but more involved.

It's not so much that I hate their humor, it's more that I don't have any frame of reference from just never really checking it out. The statements made during that whole "controversy" thing sort of helped solidify that. Though, I have seen some of their strips randomly that I did like.

But the gameplay looks good.

Miker

Alien Isolation Review:

I suppose this might be a spoiler-ish question, but are there any Giger-esque levels? I loved the scene with the space jockey in the film, and I'd be disappointed if there weren't any similarly trippy environments in the game.

Corpekata

Banned
I just finished Final Fantasy IV (the recently released 3D remake) after 32 hours. This game was amazing: the story, the characters, the setting everything was top notch. While the 3D effects could have been done better for PC (this was graphically a straight port from iOS version which itself was a port of the DS version) the gameplay held up really well.

One of the reasons it took me so long is I was trying to obtain the "Rainbow Pudding" item which only certain enemies drop and only very very rarely. Once I got to the final dungeon I fought over 500 battles with the Flan Princess (the enemy with the highest drop chance) while wearing the "Treasure Hunter" augment and still didn't get one. I even got FOUR pink tails (an even more rare item) but no pudding. Just bad luck I suppose.

I'm definitely planning on plaything through this again with New Game+ mode, this time on hard difficulty. There are still 10 achievements left for me to get, most of which can only be obtained on a second play through.

If you're a fan of Final Fantasy and haven't played this game or it's 3D remake, you definitely need to pick it up.

EDIT: this was my 51st game I've beat so far this year. Only one more to go!

How did you stomach the battles at 15 FPS? Or was there some fix for that eventually?

MRORANGE

I suppose this might be a spoiler-ish question, but are there any Giger-esque levels? I loved the scene with the space jockey in the film, and I'd be disappointed if there weren't any similarly trippy environments in the game.

Yes, you go LV426

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How did you stomach the battles at 15 FPS? Or was there some fix for that eventually?

While the battle animations were obviously choppy, it didn't matter much to me because the gameplay was tight and the battles were otherwise fun and engaging. As someone who is used to playing retro games, 15fps really doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

Axass

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Axass, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Baconing -- MB-6039434E948AF8B6 - Taken by Newblade. 1 entrants total.
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One -- MB-69BFC96E236E6F56 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode Two -- MB-ACC008EB47AFAEB3 - Taken by Sendou. 2 entrants total.
Shank -- MB-6FFADEFC2801FAE1 - Taken by xeris. 2 entrants total.

t1413657261z1.png

Yakkue

I got that randomly in the Antlion's den :eek: Lucky!
Loved that game as well.

jshackles

Are you gonna go out of your element and play a genre you wouldn't normally consider? Or are you just gonna pick up something easy and have it over and done with?

The problem is that I'm not really sure what "my element" is exactly. I've played a bit of everything this year: from FPS (Bioshock Inf) to point and click adventure (Shadowgate, Walking Dead) to rhythm game (Curtain Call) to action (Marlow Briggs, Broforce) obviously RPG (this is the 4th mainline Final Fantasy game I've beat this year) to tower defense (Prime World Defenders) to platformer (Yoshi's New Island, Mario 3D World) to racing (Mario Kart 8) to whatever the hell The Simpsons: Tapped Out is...

I guess there are obviously some genres I prefer to others, but I think I have all the bases covered - unless GAF can suggest something for me that they think I might like that's outside of my "element".

Otherwise, I'm most of the way through Dead Rising 3 and I'll probably finish that up. ;)

I got that randomly in the Antlion's den :eek: Lucky!
Loved that game as well.

post-7857-NERD-RAGE-gif-zsIb.gif

It's okay, I'll get it in New Game+ with all the right augments and a little luck.

here you go guys..

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VikasNarula, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Skyward Collapse -- MB-B7475EE05691BA61 - Taken by agniswarm

The problem is that I'm not really sure what "my element" is exactly. I've played a bit of everything this year: from FPS (Bioshock Inf) to point and click adventure (Shadowgate, Walking Dead) to rhythm game (Curtain Call) to action (Marlow Briggs, Broforce) obviously RPG (this is the 4th mainline Final Fantasy game I've beat this year) to tower defense (Prime World Defenders) to platformer (Yoshi's New Island, Mario 3D World) to racing (Mario Kart 8) to whatever the hell The Simpsons: Tapped Out is...

I guess there are obviously some genres I prefer to others, but I think I have all the bases covered - unless GAF can suggest something for me that they think I might like that's outside of my "element".

Hmmm...get through the story mode of a fighting game like Mortal Kombat or Injustice and call it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom