• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much yeah. Beforehand you could set a custom resolution in Nvidia's control panel but that not only relied on having the GPU power to run that resolution but your monitor also had to be able to handle the signal. Most of my 1920x1080 monitors will go to 3200x1800 not problems at 60hz but only 2 will got to 3840x2160 though due to DVI limitations and the bandwidth you get from the copper in the cable it's a bit unreliable and a lower refresh is usually requiered to get it stable, sometikems as low as 30hz. Only one will go above that to 4800x2700 but that again is 30hz but hey that's the beauty of a 120hz there's a big range to play with. But the 2 2560x1440 monitors wont go a pixel over that. GeDoSaTo is a great in that case as it doesn't rely on the hardware limitations just need the power to run that resolution (well on DX9 games for the time being).
What Dynamic Super Resolution does is like the downsampling aspect in Durante's GeDoSaTo (without as much control or option) it takes your monitors hardware capability out of the equation. You can downsample to a factor of 4 of you monitors (or I'm guessing maybe desktop) resolution on any game that supports user defined resolutions (some will need some ini fiddling but should work). This has a slight advantage of GeDoSaTo as it works with DX10, DX11 and OpenGL games (though Durante plans to have GeDoSaTo working with everything but lets be fair Nvidia have much more man power).
The way I see it is that it's another tool in the box for getting a game looking how you want.
Wow, thanks for the write-up. You really know your stuff. Not only that but I also learn a lot from your posts. Much appreciated.
Like you said, I think I'll dabble more with Nvidias downsampling tool first, just because it sounds easier for newcomers and with gedosato-compliant games later on for more in-depth customization.
Now, only the hardware capable of downsampling is needed... :p
Personally I'd say GeForce Experience is kind of like babies first tuning tool. Sure it has been tested and tested but sometimes it's a little off. It's worth putting the time in to learn what effects are in terms of performance cost and if you can't 'max' a game out what you can live without. Go grab something like MSI Afterburner and have the OSD running to show the GPU load. It will be in % so when you start adjusting things in game take a not of how much it cost in %. I'd start but putting everything to the minimum settings and the set your screen resolution to you monitors and go up from there. Does the game have multiple AA option? Test them out one at a time and see how many extra % you need. Likewise with any other graphical option, test and test and test. You can also monitor you CPU load whilst in game to get an idea if that's what holding you back.
PC Gamer did a nice little intro article as to what different graphics options can mean and about their impact that might serve as a great primer for you and anyone else dipping there toes in.
http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-graphics-options-explained/
Bookmarked and will read PCG article later. Thanks, again.
If you want a reason not to buy Don't Starve, make it the fact that it's really boring after a few hours.
Well, I actually moderately interested in the game. Artstyle is unique and gameplay looks deep as well. Personally don't care about achievements at all, so can't comment on that aspect. But if a game is entertaining for several hours, I can forgive once it becomes stale afterwards. I had many hours of fun after all. Even more so with non-linear games which don't really have an end.
But I'll wait for another time.
Just landed in Ireland, home of the Ronan ;)
Ireland has truly a beautiful nature. Make sure to listen to Celtic music while soaking the green hills! If you're not revolted by Japanese music, I wholeheartedly recommend Zabadak, especially their early stuff.
Only skimmed through it because of spoilers but man, the camera is way too close on the character and both horizontally and vertically the viewing field is way too narrow. You have to move the camera way too much. The game itself looks nice though, very moody. As a Sci-Fi fan, Alien looks more intriguing though.
Another great news for UPlay now you can change your username :D
http://uplay.ubi.com/#!/en-GB/news/UplayUsername
Also new UPlay page is very nice :D
Mmh, I am thinking whether I should use my Gaf-name or another one. How do you guys decide across different gaming services, same name or not?
Why the hell haven't I heard anybody talk about this one? Randomly installed it and Im so much making a video of it. Fantastic game!
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/293660/header.jpg?t=1413326828
Wow, looks really cool. There are so many great games on Steam, I constantly find new stuff. Crazy.
OK.
I was writing this down in anticipation of an eventual runthrough when I upgrade my rig, and I'm collating a lot of content because I want to build my own website in the near future and post articles under the banner "A Modder's Guide To..."
Hope this helps.
Bookmarked. Great stuff!

hitoshi

Go insane

ModBot said:
Instructions for hitoshi:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Afterfall Insanity -- MB-60E4CA3D7F392983 - Taken by Sarcasm

Hello SteamGAF !
It seems that GungHo America is planning to bring more japanese games on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gunghoamerica

May I remember you that GungHo owns Grasshoper Manufacture (Suda51 games such as No More Heroes or Killer7), Game Arts (Lunar, Grandia, Dokuro), Acquire (Way of the Samurai, Tenchu) and Gravity ?

And the first one is Dokuro:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323668796

So I'm counting on you guys to spread the good word :)

"Hey guys, we could bring Suda51 games, classic JRPGs, and Way of the Samurai to Steam! So have a puzzle platformer! There aren't that many of those on Steam... r-right?"

Turfster

Steam explore queue still gives games that aren't available in my region.

Edit: Damn, 4 unavailable games in a row.

Wait, it does?
It hasn't for me in like, a week and a bit.
Maybe you need to pester Valve too so they add an exception in their code just for you too!

Splot coming to buyers of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle.
GMG has Skullgirls and DLC 75% off

morning. here's something new, my The Evil Within is uninstalled. as in, is gray, I have to redownload it. I did NOT uninstall it, I was just playing last night... anyone ever see that before? o_O

edit: and COD Ghosts aswell, which I just downloaded yesterday...wtf?

'verify integrity of game files' sometimes works?

but thats crazy.

Hello SteamGAF !

May I remember you that GungHo owns Grasshoper Manufacture (Suda51 games such as No More Heroes or Killer7), Game Arts (Lunar, Grandia, Dokuro), Acquire (Way of the Samurai, Tenchu) and Gravity ?

Call when Puzzle & Dragons gets a PC release.

Maniac

Banned
I thought I was the only person on Earth interested in this game. xD
You are. Chuck isn't human, he's a murderous plush-doll.

Aww yiss!

To be fair, I'm actually pretty intersted in it. I really like the combat of Dark Souls, but there's so much else in the series I hate, and maybe a western studio can give the concept a good spin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pretty much only sold on Steam and Gamestop. Region locked on Steam, so no real cheap options.

what Corp said.

Jank aside (which im running into more lately, performance wise), The Evil Within is so good. As is Styx, that one is a nice surprise. Good stuff lately

xBladeM6x

You are. Chuck isn't human, he's a murderous plush-doll.

Aww yiss!

To be fair, I'm actually pretty intersted in it. I really like the combat of Dark Souls, but there's so much else in the series I hate, and maybe a western studio can give the concept a good spin.

I plan to shamelessly pre-order it, because I'm that ignorantly optimistic it will be a great game. Lol

"Hey guys, we could bring Suda51 games, classic JRPGs, and Way of the Samurai to Steam! So have a puzzle platformer! There aren't that many of those on Steam... r-right?"

who cares, you can play as a spooky skeleton
A SKELETON

i don't think how many people realises how much this demographic has been underrepresented in video games history, it sickens me that this industry is so focused on womyn and race issues when real problems have been under our noses all along
thankfully the general public is smarter than that and has been organizing the resistance for years, you can play as a spoopy skeleton in M&B mod and wreck human scum with your skeletons bros

way of the samurai 4 is actually coming to steam this year, it's being ported by ghostlight
holy shit talesworld BANNERLORD WHEN ?

Actually, Way of the Samurai 4 is coming to Steam. And Killer is Dead came recently on Steam.

'verify integrity of game files' sometimes works?

but thats crazy.

Call when Puzzle & Dragons gets a PC release.

Well, if you want that to happen... just vote Yes.:)

I thought I was the only person on Earth interested in this game. xD
Nah man I also want that game too. Looks pretty fun. Waiting to read some thoughts on it though. I've only seen like 1 gameplay video(mainly cause I don't care enough to look up more. It's nothing against this game though because very VERY rarely do I look up multiple gameplay bids of a game)

Actually, Way of the Samurai 4 is coming to Steam. And Killer is Dead came recently on Steam.

I see. I was thrown off when you said "the first one is." That implies others hadn't made their way yet.

That said, I'd be ready to throw down money for No More Heroes, and SO ready for things like Lunar and Grandia because classic JRPGs like that are so hard to come by on PC (mind you Square is slowly changing that, so the timing would be perfect. Big-name recognition without lots of competition.)

GMG sent 30% vouchers for Civ: Beyond Earth. They are different for each account, but if you voted in the Golden Joysticks thing you should get one.

Anteater

Darksiders is kind of a blast, although the aiming is kind of slow and they make you do that shit every once in a while, combat kind of opens up but I'll probably need to adjust since I can't see shit sometimes when fighting.

Not sure how I feel about those sort of tutorial/challenge levels that you have to do before you open up each area, I think there are enough combat in the game as it is and I don't really think fighting 4-5 arena of enemies before having to move on to the next zone is really necessary.

To be fair, it isn't entirely clear which franchises GungHo purchased with Grasshopper. They got Grandia when they bought Game Arts but I am not sure if we ever got word on which franchises Grasshopper owned before they were bought.

Darksiders is kind of a blast, although the aiming is kind of slow and they make you do that shit every once in a while, combat kind of opens up but I'll probably need to adjust since I can't see shit sometimes when fighting.

Not sure how I feel about those sort of tutorial/challenge levels that you have to do before you open up each area, I think there are enough combat in the game as it is and I don't really think fighting 4-5 arena of enemies before having to move on to the next zone is really necessary.

Darksiders was great until the backtracking, I lost interest then and didn't finish it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

they are by far the worst part of the game. Still one of my favorites from last gen tho

Darksiders was great until the backtracking, I lost interest then and didn't finish it.

the backtracking, like Zelda, is a 45min-1 hour thing

onionfrog

Hello SteamGAF !

Man if they bring any of the Grandia or Lunar games to steam I'd be all over that!

I'm pretty excited for Way of The Samurai 4's Steam version.

I see. I was thrown off when you said "the first one is." That implies others hadn't made their way yet.

That said, I'd be ready to throw down money for No More Heroes, and SO ready for things like Lunar and Grandia because classic JRPGs like that are so hard to come by on PC (mind you Square is slowly changing that, so the timing would be perfect. Big-name recognition without lots of competition.)

Well, as I said, GungHo explicitely said that they want to bring more:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/323668796/1413529303

+

We're a multiplatform game publisher known for both mobile and console releases -- including Dokuro and Ragnarok Odyssey. Our group companies include Grasshopper Manufacture, Game Arts, Acquire, and Gravity.

We're excited to bring our games to Steam and introduce a whole new audience to GungHo games!

So, spread the good word SteamGAF and make it happen:

Man if they bring any of the Grandia or Lunar games to steam I'd be all over that!

I'm pretty excited for Way of The Samurai 4's Steam version.

They might do it indeed ! And yes, I'm also waiting for WotS 4.

Alright so I just gave Awesomenauts a try and I really like it. Does anyone play it regularly and can comment on the community outside of a free weekend?

Milamber

To be fair, it isn't entirely clear which franchises GungHo purchased with Grasshopper. They got Grandia when they bought Game Arts but I am not sure if we ever got word on which franchises Grasshopper owned before they were bought.

Wait, wait wait... GungHo got the Grandia's!? Start spamming them with Steam requests everyone!!!

Grandia II actually got a PC release and after some quick googling it looks like some people got it to work on Win 7 machines.

I can confirm it runs beautifully on my win7 PC.

is there any way to see who in my friend list has a game but he hasnt played it?? i know there is a "friends who have played this game" list but i want to see who has a game even if he hasnt played it

Jawmuncher

is there any way to see who in my friend list has a game but he hasnt played it?? i know there is a "friends who have played this game" list but i want to see who has a game even if he hasnt played it

Most you can do is go to their profile and then look at all their games.
The ones with absolutely no playtime will be at the bottom.

Sini

If you want to see it for particular game then store page has a box that shows people who own and want that game. Click on the number and it'll show you at the bottom.

Edit: Seems to be Enhanced Steam feature.

louiedog

Please note that each key is a different platform and choose accordingly.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (louiedog, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic (GOG) -- MB-D03D2CF5BBC14535 - Taken by Casimir. 4 entrants total.
Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic (Steam) -- MB-A22E8EA8353A9C9E - Taken by VikasNarula. 24 entrants total.

t1413655220z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom