• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

It's not so much that I hate their humor, it's more that I don't have any frame of reference from just never really checking it out. The statements made during that whole "controversy" thing sort of helped solidify that. Though, I have seen some of their strips randomly that I did like.

But the gameplay looks good.

The fruit-fucker is a running gag in the strip, but it isn't exactly subtle. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there's things here and there. The games are in a different era than the strip, it's much more Steampunk/Lovecraft. The personas of the characters are similar to their personas in the strip, but the characters are pretty well developed within the game. Neither episode is super long (5-6 hours each episode) and there's not a lot of room for replayability, so it never overstays its welcome. I did take a decently long break between episodes which kept it fresh.

All that said, I really need to get back to Episode 3, which of course is entirely different than the first two. Started it ages ago but got distracted and never came back.

Miguel81

I just finished Assassin's Creed 3 but I don't remember this in the game. Did I miss it, or was it just not there?
L7h2hMZ.jpg

It wasn't there as far as I remember from my playthrough.

'Morning, folks.

Just grabbed the Skullgirls bundle from GMG for $3.75 ($4.99 - $1.24 from the 25% off loyalty voucher they're emailing people). Seemed like a pretty good deal.

That's a great deal, and I'll bite.

xeris

It's not so much that I hate their humor, it's more that I don't have any frame of reference from just never really checking it out. The statements made during that whole "controversy" thing sort of helped solidify that. Though, I have seen some of their strips randomly that I did like.

But the gameplay looks good.

The game holds up pretty well on its own. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that the first two games are different in gameplay than the last two since they changed devs and had a several year hiatus.

zkylon

zkylewd
Alien Isolation Review:
i feel like the last of us (the bioshock thing of filling the world with lootable containers but also crafting and lite stealth elements) is gonna be the arkham asylum for narrative-driven survival games. it's like game developers finally found the formula to do that survival despair in a very controlled way that works really well for mainstream games

like i wouldn't be surprised if dead space 4 had stealth sections with craftable noisemakers or something

i don't think it's bad but then again i don't think i've ever enjoyed an arkham-like

louiedog

NimbleQuest is 90% off ($0.49) until the end of the month. It's a mobile game, but I liked it well enough on my phone and that seems like a reasonable non-bundle price for just about any game.

It has cards.

So strange to see Speedrunners compared to Micro Machines, but now I learn of this Micro Maniacs spin off it makes a little more sense. I do see the similarity in the weapons. Might have to get in on this when it nears release.

Lomax

NimbleQuest is 90% off ($0.49) until the end of the month. It's a mobile game, but I liked it well enough on my phone and that seems like a reasonable non-bundle price for just about any game.

It has cards.

Thanks for the heads up, it's been in my "look for it in a bundle" list for a long while but at 49 cents that's pretty much bundle price anyway.

Nillansan

Hello SteamGAF !
It seems that GungHo America is planning to bring more japanese games on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gunghoamerica

May I remember you that GungHo owns Grasshoper Manufacture (Suda51 games such as No More Heroes or Killer7), Game Arts (Lunar, Grandia, Dokuro), Acquire (Way of the Samurai, Tenchu) and Gravity ?

And the first one is Dokuro:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323668796

So I'm counting on you guys to spread the good word :)

I gave it a thumbs up, thank you for posting this.

xeris

It has cards.

Thanks for the heads up. Just spent the last 10 minutes playing it and it was worth the .49 even if it didn't have cards.

Tellaerin

I can't believe Halloween is almost upon us. I love watching Syfy 31 days of Halloween.

Hopefully we'll see some decent sales on horror-themed games for Halloween this year.

(Not really sure what horror games I'd want to see go on sale, personally. Probably some older stuff, like Condemned: Criminal Origins.)

Been thinking of starting something with a horror theme from my backlog to celebrate the holiday, if I manage to finish up this Borderlands 2 playthrough in time. Maybe one of the F.E.A.R. games or Deadly Premonition, or possibly RE6.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So whats the general consensus on games that just aren't doing it for you or take awhile to "click"? What do you do in those situations?

Like I was trying to play borderlands 2 (solo which is probably my problem), but between the average level design and gunplay and the hit and miss humor and I just ended up dropping it after like 10 hours.

Converesely I was getting read to drop Torchlight 2 but it finally clicked for me and I'm enjoying myself more now (I think I've been too used to D3 versus the Torchlight ability system).

Shadownet

Banned
i'm lucky no one celebrates halloween in argieland or i wouldn't be able to leave home for like a week
You should be scared of March 14th. Its Spider Day

So whats the general consensus on games that just aren't doing it for you or take awhile to "click"? What do you do in those situations?

Like I was trying to play borderlands 2 (solo which is probably my problem), but between the average level design and gunplay and the hit and miss humor and I just ended up dropping it after like 10 hours.

Converesely I was getting read to drop Torchlight 2 but it finally clicked for me and I'm enjoying myself more now (I think I've been too used to D3 versus the Torchlight ability system).
I just don't play them to be honest. I know GAF praises Abyss Odyssey but I just could not get into it at all. Maybe I'll try it again one day but it might just sit there forever with less than 2 hours of playtime.

Sendou

It's hard to say. Usually if I don't like I game then that's that. Games are meant to be fun if they aren't then what's the point?

zkylon

zkylewd

depends on the game and what i'm looking for in it. like rpgs tend to be slow burners so you gotta be prepared for them, but if it's a fps if it doesn't hook me right out i'll just drop it.

and like boredlands is really a mediocre series with a really clever concept but executed so lazily. it can be fun cos pretty much everything is fun with friends but it's not a good first person shooter and it's not a good rpg

Well that was a special set of robes. Achilles' original outfit. I just liked it better than default because it felt fancier.
yeah i think i went with default for most of the game. designs were cool but so silly.

i would be all over rogue if you could play as haytham. haytham is like da vinci husbando levels for me

huh

sometimes i feel like i should have a gun in case spiderapocalypse turns out to be a thing

Arthea

Is Jasec here?
I encountered yet another glitch in the matrix steam, lost count of them already. I bought Ecco the Dolphin for my 1700th game, it was on humble store, it redeemed on steam, like it supposed, but it didn't appeared in my library. the store shows I own it and has play button, but said button does absolutely nothing. Anything I can do without contacting steam support?

It's probably in the SEGA emulator like those old Sonic games.

I had this idea and checked, haven't find it yet, so it's probably not this problem.

Ruruja

Is Jasec here?
I encountered yet another glitch in the matrix steam, lost count of them already. I bought Ecco the Dolphin for my 1700th game, it was on humble store, it redeemed on steam, like it supposed, but it didn't appeared in my library. the store shows I own it and has play button, but said button does absolutely nothing. Anything I can do without contacting steam support?

It's probably in the SEGA emulator like those old Sonic games.

Tellaerin

You should be scared of March 14th. Its Spider Day.

...holy crap, that's really a thing. Wow.

I'll usually put it down for awhile and come back to it later, and see how I feel about it then. Sometimes the game just isn't going to do it for me, ever. Other times, it turns out I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for that game when I first tried to play it. If I mess with it 2-3 times and still don't feel compelled to go back to it, then back on the virtual shelf it goes.

I've been soloing through Borderlands 2 myself. It's fun in small doses, but trying to marathon it brought me to the edge of burnout. Now I'm tackling a mission or two at a time when the mood strikes me and messing with other games in between, which is working out a lot better.

derExperte

Do I get locked out of the Steam market when I use a new browser on the same PC? Can't deal with Opera 12's slowness and bugs on more and more sites anymore.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
and like boredlands is really a mediocre series with a really clever concept but executed so lazily. it can be fun cos pretty much everything is fun with friends but it's not a good first person shooter and it's not a good rpg

That pretty much sums up my view. I wanted to like it, but... I didn't. It didn't help that I was/am playing Destiny at the same time and borderlands *from a combat perspective* really does not compare. For all the many issues Destiny has, at its core its still a damn good shooter.

I'll usually put it down for awhile and come back to it later, and see how I feel about it then. Sometimes the game just isn't going to do it for me, ever. Other times, it turns out I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for that game when I first tried to play it. If I mess with it 2-3 times and still don't feel compelled to go back to it, then back on the virtual shelf it goes.

Yeah I did the same thing with the Witcher 1 the first time I played it with its god awful combat, but went back later and ended up loving the game (albeit despite the combat). I may give borderlands 2 another shot in some future date, but yeah.

zkylon

zkylewd
so basically jshackles is the web designer/programmer

saoirse is customer support

stump does the greenlight check thing for new releases

and mroange is community manager

hmmmmm

That pretty much sums up my view. I wanted to like it, but... I didn't. It didn't help that I was/am playing Destiny at the same time and borderlands *from a combat perspective* really does not compare. For all the many issues Destiny has, at its core its still a damn good shooter.
i mean i just think people love the boredlands concept more than the actual game and like it's a fun timesink thing to do with friends for people that don't like mmos. much like that dead island game thing. i was really confused when people said it had satisfying combat, i thought kick spams were hilarious and had a lot of fun doing stupid shit to zombie people in swimsuits and laughing at weird polish casual racism but i'm confused how anyone could say that was actually a good game

Omega

Banned

I just don't play them to be honest. I know GAF praises Abyss Odyssey but I just could not get into it at all. Maybe I'll try it again one day but it might just sit there forever with less than 2 hours of playtime.

why the fuck do spiders have their own day?

Do I get locked out of the Steam market when I use a new browser on the same PC? Can't deal with Opera 12's slowness and bugs on more and more sites anymore.

Yeah

for some reason I can't trade through browsers, but from the regular steam client I can. steam makes no sense

Tellaerin

hmmmmm

Maybe SteamGAF should start its own direct download service, then. Looks like we've already got our staff. :p I mean, Direct2Drive's supposed to be making a comeback now, and nothing we could put together can possible be worse than that. >.>

Arthea

damn... it is in that blasted collection. But why then steam let me to redeem it? I already bought collections... I thought it's a separate game. SEGA YOU CONFUSE ME, stop it!

If you right click on Sega Genesis and Mega Drive Classics and view the Downloadable Content, is there a checkmark next to Ecco?

ya, and I bought it on steam, and I bought it now again, and that was very stupid of me...
I constantly forget about that Sega emulator.

Spyware

I try to understand why I don't like it. Maybe research it a bit to see if anything changes later, if I perhaps misunderstood or missed some important part of the gameplay or something. Maybe try stuff like other difficulty modes (usually I end up liking games more on easy...).
Sometimes it's just a case of playing it at the wrong time. It's too slow when I want something fast or the other way around. It's pretty easy to realise when I actually ask myself if this is what I'd like to play right at this moment.

If it just isn't my thing I drop it quite quickly. I have too many games to play stuff that isn't good enough. Like Borderlands 2 :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
i feel like the last of us (the bioshock thing of filling the world with lootable containers but also crafting and lite stealth elements) is gonna be the arkham asylum for narrative-driven survival games. it's like game developers finally found the formula to do that survival despair in a very controlled way that works really well for mainstream games

like i wouldn't be surprised if dead space 4 had stealth sections with craftable noisemakers or something

i don't think it's bad but then again i don't think i've ever enjoyed an arkham-like
I will be surprised if dead space 4 gets made at all.

Shadownet

Banned

Dusk is pretty much Steam reviewer, I'm pretty much "Steam Free Games Day". While gaffers like Dunder, Liez and Bernardo are " Steam Sale"

why the fuck do spiders have their own day?
You'll be surprised how many people in this world have a Spiderbro. There's a whole subreddit dedicated to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom