• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigby

Great giveaway. I won't enter, just want to wish good luck to everyone.

EDIT: I noticed this is still available: Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-8F7604F8768C35F2 - Taken by Bigby

Do anything with it, really, anything, but please take it.

Where's the GAF thread for this puppy?

Because that concept + the developer's pedigree looks pretty dope.

Uber's last kickstarter release was, apparently, buggy as all hell. They also threw it on sale below what many backers paid within the launch time, which some see as a slap.

I'm bummed out most that they utterly abandoned their release before that, SMNC, which, upon its release, they utterly abandoned their release before that, MNC.

Both of those were two of my favorite games, to be fair. I'm just gun shy about getting invested in a game that will get dropped because it's more interesting for a dev to make something new and exciting than it is to make smart updates and balance for your existing fanbase.

Shit, someone help me out here. I was told by a friend that you can finish dark souls and then access the dlc. Seems that when I finished the game, it dumped me straight into ng+. Any way to play the dlc now or am I supremely fucked? I ain't playing another 20 hours to get to it : /

Thinking about picking up Witcher 3 from the Buy Sell Thread. Is there a possibility it will be locked to Russia territory at some point or only playable in Russian language?

didamangi

Shit, someone help me out here. I was told by a friend that you can finish dark souls and then access the dlc. Seems that when I finished the game, it dumped me straight into ng+. Any way to play the dlc now or am I supremely fucked? I ain't playing another 20 hours to get to it : /

IIRC DSFix have an autosave/save backup feature, if you use it maybe check the ini file for the folder location.

Sendou

So this game looks like fun and has a nice artstyle. Reminds me of Murphy levels in Rayman Legends.

logohdo2jrn.png

Trailer

Website

Hello everyone!
It’s been a long run, but after four years of hard work and dedication, Harold, the platformer racing video game from the independent team at Moon Spider Studio, is finally nearing the finish line for release later this year…
And we’ve got a new trailer to celebrate it entering the home stretch! This updated look at Harold shows off the game’s colorful visual design, skillful animation and absurdly comic premise, gameplay and humor in action.
Players take on the wings of a guardian-angel-in-training, tasked with guiding their less-than-capable human – Harold – safely through a series of increasingly complex and competitive obstacle races. Getting Harold from start to finish in one piece will require manipulating the environment (and Harold) with your heavenly abilities.
With 12 distinct courses and three unique game modes, Harold provides a fun challenge for players of all skill level

I feel bad for them. They haven't promoted the game at all and apparently it's coming out any day now? I just can't believe how these games will find success when you have a dev cycle of 4 years and your only form of advertisement is one trailer just weeks before the release.

I agree with you. Also the story of GOW2...is basically the SAME story of GOW1 :D
The story in Gears 1 was at least tolerable. There was no substance to it, but it was a fun and cheesy little romp kept simplistic akin to a movie like Pitch Black and the Locust seemed like a force that could never be reasoned with to set a "gritty" "kill or be killed" tone. Fast-forward to 2, and Epic decided that what action fans really wanted was pointless exposition to make the Locust seem more humane - which worked out fine for Halo 2 right? - on top of laughable, character-ruining melodrama and other such flimsy plot devices that were taken way too seriously. A chainsaw staff wielding monstrosity with shitty dreadlocks was also deemed bad-ass, somehow. The magic of that random comic book writer Epic hired I suppose, or however else you can describe that failure of a script.

At least the giant worm was cool though.

wilflare

So this game looks like fun and has a nice artstyle. Reminds me of Murphy levels in Rayman Legends.

Trailer

Website

I feel bad for them. They haven't promoted the game at all and apparently it's coming out any day now? I just can't believe how these games will find success when you have a dev cycle of 4 years and your only form of advertisement is one trailer just weeks before the release.

the art direction looks pretty good :O

AsfaeksBR

I don't believe you, but I'm not going to pay a fuckton of money to find out I'm right ;)
GTA isn't good either ;)

The gameplay is straight up taken from Splinter Cell: Blacklist. It's like theu copied to code from it and pasted on Watch_Dogs. That makes it good enough for, at least, people to give it a try.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Fuzzification, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fuzzification, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dreamfall: Chapters -- MB-31397DBA69A7E33B - Taken by Ruruja. 59 entrants total.

t1413733944z1.png

Anteater

damn, there sure are a lot of fighting and shooting things at the sand area in darksiders, it's not that i don't like the combat but the same enemies kind of get a bit dull as you also level up/getting more skills and the only way they think of to balance that out is to toss more of the same things at you, because of that it turned quickly from a dmc-esque game to dynasty warriors with a cool combo system, heck you even get a horse.

Haunted

Uber's last kickstarter release was, apparently, buggy as all hell. They also threw it on sale below what many backers paid within the launch time, which some see as a slap.

I'm bummed out most that they utterly abandoned their release before that, SMNC, which, upon its release, they utterly abandoned their release before that, MNC.

Both of those were two of my favorite games, to be fair. I'm just gun shy about getting invested in a game that will get dropped because it's more interesting for a dev to make something new and exciting than it is to make smart updates and balance for your existing fanbase.
That's a shame to hear, I think the concept looks pretty awesome.

I can live without post-release support if the game is finished and properly playable, but if it's a double whammy of publishing an unfinished/buggy game and then abandoning it, that's not good.

derExperte

Harold First Official Trailer is out !!!! 2014-10-17
Announcing Harold ! 2012-08-20

This won't end well. Doesn't even say that it's coming to Steam. And how do the controls work? Looks great but more like a mobile game.

Haunted

Trailer

Website

I remember the Bombcast talking about this game briefly years ago.

edit: it was a Bombcast from September 2012, oy vey

The third Dark Souls 2 DLC is absolutely insane(ly good!). ATTN: you who complained that the level design in Dark Souls 2 wasn't Metroidvania'dly enough, go play the 3rd DLC NOW. Everything is connected to everything in a meaningful way, areas get harder longer you progress (!), there's TONS of hidden stuff around and it's just all round excellent.

Teeth

The third Dark Souls 2 DLC is absolutely insane(ly good!). ATTN: you who complained that the level design in Dark Souls 2 wasn't Metroidvania'dly enough, go play the 3rd DLC NOW. Everything is connected to everything in a meaningful way, areas get harder longer you progress (!), there's TONS of hidden stuff around and it's just all round excellent.

Damn. I really, really, really liked the other 2 DLCs but I haven't been able to try this one yet. Where would you place it for difficulty? I soloed everything in the other two, including the gank squad melee, and found it mostly to be appropriately challenging.

They still have the problem that standard maces are the best weapon for 80% of enemies.

Damn. I really, really, really liked the other 2 DLCs but I haven't been able to try this one yet. Where would you place it for difficulty? I soloed everything in the other two, including the gank squad melee, and found it mostly to be appropriately challenging.

They still have the problem that standard maces are the best weapon for 80% of enemies.

I'd say appropriately challenging, but maybe the most challenging of the 3. I can't say anything about the bosses as I have only beaten the first one though!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and done with The Evil Within (until the DLC). see, I play games that arent Marvel >_>

Miker

Posted this last night when it was slow, reposting because I'd like some opinions/advice:

My thoughts/complaints on The Darkness 2, about halfway through:

Holy shit, for a game that seems to be an ultraviolent comic book power fantasy with quad-wielding, it sure goes out of its way to make you feel weak as hell. While in the light, you can't see shit, can't use your darkness powers, and you can't do anything but run and shoot. Now, in addition to the natural light sources like streetlights, there are also enemies with flashlights (durable ones that take 5 shots to destroy) and indestructible lamps that run on generators you have to find and melee. By mid-game, when these enemies are relatively common, I lost the feeling of being a crazy badass that I had when the game first started.

Then there are the betentacled enemies that steal your gun from your hands; it doesn't help that the game doesn't automatically switch you to another weapon. And there's the shortage of ammo in general - I think they were aiming for players to use up what they have and pick up whatever is around them, but all the dropped weapons have pretty small clips anyway. I guess you can execute enemies for more ammo via a power, but that requires not being in the light.

Beyond that, Jackie simply seems to die pretty quickly on normal, and I found myself scrambling to eat hearts. In fact, half my time is spent looking at the ground scrounging for hearts instead of actually shooting at enemies. It kills the pace of the combat for me.

A lot of this can probably be mitigated by playing w/ mouse and kb. I'm using my DS4 right now because it was built around a controller and I'm a sucker for rumble. Still, I don't think my complaints above would change all that much.

Anybody have a similar experience with the game?

Jawmuncher

Posted this last night when it was slow, reposting because I'd like some opinions/advice:

My thoughts/complaints on The Darkness 2, about halfway through:

Holy shit, for a game that seems to be an ultraviolent comic book power fantasy with quad-wielding, it sure goes out of its way to make you feel weak as hell. While in the light, you can't see shit, can't use your darkness powers, and you can't do anything but run and shoot. Now, in addition to the natural light sources like streetlights, there are also enemies with flashlights (durable ones that take 5 shots to destroy) and indestructible lamps that run on generators you have to find and melee. By mid-game, when these enemies are relatively common, I lost the feeling of being a crazy badass that I had when the game first started.

Then there are the betentacled enemies that steal your gun from your hands; it doesn't help that the game doesn't automatically switch you to another weapon. And there's the shortage of ammo in general - I think they were aiming for players to use up what they have and pick up whatever is around them, but all the dropped weapons have pretty small clips anyway. I guess you can execute enemies for more ammo via a power, but that requires not being in the light.

Beyond that, Jackie simply seems to die pretty quickly on normal, and I found myself scrambling to eat hearts. In fact, half my time is spent looking at the ground scrounging for hearts instead of actually shooting at enemies. It kills the pace of the combat for me.

A lot of this can probably be mitigated by playing w/ mouse and kb. I'm using my DS4 right now because it was built around a controller and I'm a sucker for rumble. Still, I don't think my complaints above would change all that much.

Anybody have a similar experience with the game?

I used a controller as well and never had much of that issue.
If I recall you can grab enemies and eat their hearts while fighting still.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Darkness in the videogames is nothing like The Darkness in the comics btw, so I wouldnt use that as an excuse

Miker

I used a controller as well and never had much of that issue.
If I recall you can grab enemies and eat their hearts while fighting still.

Yeah, I do that as much as I can, but when they start throwing light grenades, flashlight goons, and goons that take away your guns, it's all a bit much.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, I do that as much as I can, but when they start throwing light grenades, flashlight goons, and goons that take away your guns, it's all a bit much.

I recall messing stuff up with the darkness powers itself.
Can't really offer much since it's been awhile and I didn't have any difficulty with it.

Lain

I'm willing to give Mirror's Edge a third chance. How do I remove the gamepad button prompts and instead have KB/M button prompts? Even disconnectign the gamepad from my PC still gives me pad button prompts.

Grief.exe

If I've learned anything this past month, never listen to friends.

RealityExist's friend built him a terrible computer, and your friend gave you bad advice.

You have to kill a certain golem in Seath's library To access the item required to begin the DLC. That area is locked behind the Lord vessel.

Jawmuncher

I'm willing to give Mirror's Edge a third chance. How do I remove the gamepad button prompts and instead have KB/M button prompts? Even disconnectign the gamepad from my PC still gives me pad button prompts.

Easy fix.
Play with the controller.

Real Fix
Probably need to disable the controller fully from device manager.

Jadax

"Gears 2" and "awesome story" in the same sentence? About as big of a contradictory statement as it can get.
I agree with you. Also the story of GOW2...is basically the SAME story of GOW1 :D

Comes down to personal preference. I enjoyed Gears 1 and 2 immensely, and was totally into the story throughout. I'm not a big console fan, but games like Gears really made my wish they were made for PC.

You give that game as many chances as it needs! Once you get past the crappy PC controls and somewhat bad combat mechanics it's a fun fun game!

As for your issue, I don't remember getting controller prompts (maybe in the cutscenes), you did unplug the controller right?

Annubis

You have created 181 listings this year. Before you can sell or list more than 200 items in a calendar year, we are required to collect certain information from you. Please click here to provide the necessary information. To find out more about this requirement, please visit the FAQ.

What will come first, me selling 200 cards or January 1st.

Miker

I recall messing stuff up with the darkness powers itself.
Can't really offer much since it's been awhile and I didn't have any difficulty with it.

Yeah, I'm progressing regularly, but each encounter takes me a few times to optimize who and what I need to focus on first. Sometimes the indestructible lights (groan) have generators that are hidden behind some scenery, so it's best to rush in and destroy the generator first instead of trying to play conservatively.

I'm still enjoying myself, but it's frustrating to play a game that offers so much fun and be so eager to take it all away.

FloatOn

If I've learned anything this past month, never listen to friends.

RealityExist's friend built him a terrible computer, and your friend gave you bad advice.

You have to kill a certain golem in Seath's library To access the item required to begin the DLC. That area is locked behind the Lord vessel.

hey man, it's not THAT terrible ;)

I've had some good times with this machine but those days are coming to a close that's all

Sendou

Steam top ten sellers chart: October 12-18

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel has dethroned Shadow of Mordor to nab the top spot on this week's Steam top ten sellers chart.

The two finished first and second respectively, ahead of Civilization: Beyond Earth – which rose two spots from its position last week. Borderlands: The Pre Sequel's season pass offering netted a sixth place result as well.

A discount special for Payday 2 had the title back on the list and all the way up to fourth, while chart regular Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rounded out the top five.

Here's the full list:

1) Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
2) Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
3) Civilization: Beyond Earth
4) Payday 2
5) Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
6) Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Season Pass
7) Alien: Isolation
8) The Evil Within
9) Tomb Raider
10) Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/steam-top-ten-sellers-chart-october-12-18/0140051

hohoXD123

Made the same mistake. It won't take you anywhere near 20 hours to get to the DLC though, things will progress much faster the second time around. The DLC is easily the best part of the game imo, would be a shame to miss out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom