• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogg dug up some Tweets where a Bethesda community manager literally said that. Note the date and the PC related responses further down.

https://twitter.com/jasonxbergman/status/438736255036424192

Sesf9b4.png

let us know if you find out, if it's radio silence before the game is out i'll just cancel my pre order

Teeth

yea i mispoke

i meant budget allocation being directed towards design rather than tech. or just smaller budgets altogether

Oh, yeah, sorry. I mostly agree. Sorry if it sounded like i was jumping down your throat, i didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to babble on some more about design.

Yeah, lower budgets for graphics would probably have helped this industry out. I don't think we'd have much less beautiful games either these days; stuff like the Vanishing of Etan Carter can show that design constraints can help innovate in graphics techniques (and look gorgeous).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cant wait for Evil Within "PC is 30fps? fuck it then im buying the PS4 version...which is 30fps" comments >_>

I think it's pretty sad that people would pre-order the game then cancel it once they found out it was 30fps instead of 60fps...

I mean, did you not like what was shown to you enough to pre-order it? Was it shown in 60fps, then that suddenly changed?

lol no...

That screen isn't even using the "Cinematic Alyx" model. I'm so confused right now...

Dunno man, it's the fourth pic in the frontpage slideshow of http://cinematicmod.com

Also, ehh at that "30 FPS makes more sense for a survival horror game". I can totally get the argument for Yoshi's Wolly World, for example, but I don't really see why would it benefit any other kind of game. Just slow down every movement if you want to, but don't make janky ass animations, FFS.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, yeah, sorry. I mostly agree. Sorry if it sounded like i was jumping down your throat, i didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to babble on some more about design.

Yeah, lower budgets for graphics would probably have helped this industry out. I don't think we'd have much less beautiful games either these days; stuff like the Vanishing of Etan Carter can show that design constraints can help innovate in graphics techniques (and look gorgeous).
yea i mean we've traded prettiness for risky adverse design and still a shit ton of devs shut down or and a lot of cool ppl changed careers and moved on to other stuff

i feel like that's a pretty shitty deal

so yea i wish computers had tapped out at 2004 and suddenly everyone needs to innovate and write awesome stories and characters and be creative to push gaming forward

man that would've been nice

Anteater

I think it's pretty sad that people would pre-order the game then cancel it once they found out it was 30fps instead of 60fps...

I mean, did you not like what was shown to you enough to pre-order it? Was it shown in 60fps, then that suddenly changed?

lol no...

i haven't seen people cancelling preorder here tbh

cuz we're all cheapskates and don't actually buy games day 1

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

lol no...

60FPS is important for a few reasons like smoother motion and more responsive controls (though 120hz murders 60hz there). Trailers don't really get released in 60FPS that often because most video sharing sites do not natively support it. You pretty much always see game footage in 30FPS unless they upload elsewhere like gamersyde.

Not saying it's worth cancelling over, but it is an important factor for people. Especially when you spend upwards of $1,200 on a rig to squeeze frames out left and right.

Dunno man, it's the fourth pic in the frontpage slideshow of http://cinematicmod.com

Also, ehh at that "30 FPS makes more sense for a survival horror game". I can totally get the argument for Yoshi's Wolly World, for example, but I don't really see why would it benefit any other kind of game. Just slow down every movement if you want to, but don't make janky ass animations, FFS.

I dunno man, I was told games like The Order and L.A. Noire are 30FPS because it's cinematic, are you tryin to tell me they aint cinematic

*Twilight Zone theme*

It's the HL2 Cinemax mod.

would be pretty hot if they put those pants on doc kleiner

I'd prefer seeing them on Lamarr. It would be like a utility vest.

60FPS is important for a few reasons like smoother motion and more responsive controls (though 120hz murders 60hz there). Trailers don't really get released in 60FPS that often because most video sharing sites do not natively support it. You pretty much always see game footage in 30FPS unless they upload elsewhere like gamersyde.

Not saying it's worth cancelling over, but it is an important factor for people. Especially when you spend upwards of $1,200 on a rig to squeeze frames out left and right.

Well, I happen to have a stupidly powerful PC, and you know what I think when games get framerate capped?

I'll use all that extra power I have to run the game at stupidly high resolutions with AA ect. for the cleanest image possible.

I'm not going to cancel or not buy a game I'm clearly interested in because of it.

Grief.exe

lol no...

I would certainly consider it.

A 30 FPS lock would directly effect the playability and, subsequently, my enjoyment of the game in a negative way. The opportunity cost of the game would go down significantly, especially for an already packed month. I would still pick it up on sale at one point.

Anteater

Well, I happen to have a stupidly powerful PC, and you know what I think when games get framerate capped?

I'll use all that extra power I have to run the game at stupidly high resolutions with AA ect. for the cleanest image possible.

I'm not going to cancel or not buy a game I'm clearly interested in because of it.

giving the option isn't bad though, sure I play games at 30fps and higher than 1080p too, but for future hardwares it's nice to have the options.

as you said it's not a"preorder canceled!" kind of big deal if you want to play the game, and I haven't seen people actually doing that. It's still disappointing nonetheless and people will voice their complaints in hopes of a patch or change, like uncharted 3 where people complained about control issues and they had it changed several weeks after release and got a lot of positive feedbacks, nothing wrong with that, and imo the change made the game better.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

You should also consider that whenever a game is framerate limited, it is usually because integral systems are tied to the framerate. This is a poor man's way of doing things and could cause issues with futureproofing. Some of these people do it to send the message that they don't approve of that sort of thing.

Again though, it's a case by case basis. I've never cancelled a game for an FPS lock myself.

This is an incredibly high quality, fucking hideous model. Everything they did to Alyx flies in the face of her character's representation. Gross.

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks that HL2 has fairly timeless graphics. That game was constructed with what call "functional graphics". I don't mean functional in the sense that they just get the job done, I mean functional in the sense that everything that is represented graphically has actual function in the game. All of the terrain and objects have collision that is native to the representative/graphical model. All of the set dressing is movable and manipulable, which means you don't end up with the weird dichotomy between what is "game" and what is "just visuals".

For instance, when you walk into a room in Uncharted 2, all of the chairs and tables are nailed down, if you shoot a gun at a pot, it doesn't move...the only thing that is gameplay dependent are the specifically noted items that the designers have laid out for you amongst the breadth of set dressing. Everything is gorgeous, and everything is made of concrete.

Whereas HL2 has relatively spartan environments, but you know you can interact with literally everything in the scene. This means the user doesn't have to split "what is there to look good" and "what I actually can play with" in their head.

Most games look beauteous, but they fall into the Uncanny Valley of environments.

It's quite sad how not only didn't the industry improve that level of interactivity, but basically regressed. So many bolted, non-interactive elements in today's games. When HL2 came out I thought that would be the future, but not even Valve themselves have followed their own lead :(

Sorta related, in the Ethan Carter OT people were complaining about the lack of hands, first person animations and I brought up HL1 and 2 and how I think body awareness is in relation to the level of interactivity. Aka the more authentic you want to look, the less interaction you get, because there might be budget concerns. In HL2 Valve didn't have to worry about that as Gordon wasn't animated.

I would certainly consider it.

A 30 FPS lock would directly effect the playability and, subsequently, my enjoyment of the game in a negative way. The opportunity cost of the game would go down significantly, especially for an already packed month. I would still pick it up on sale at one point.

Actually, the game would perform exactly as was intended by the developer in the exact same way it was presented to you... which made you pre-order it.

Seems stupid to not buy a game that obviously appealed to you because some box wasn't checked.

But hey, you have the right. It's just obvious that people who do this don't care as much about the game itself as justifying their expectations for their PC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
somehow I have the feeling that all this evil within 30/60 fps stuff is Turf's fault

zkylon

zkylewd
Remember me is more than worth it in my opinion!
Sure, it has some janky parts, but it's still a great package overall.

i dunno i found it to be almost completely derivative and the only interesting thing which would be the memory manipulation thing i didn't enjoy how it worked at all

it felt like a waste of time

Grief.exe

Actually, the game would perform exactly as was intended by the developer in the exact same way it was presented to you... which made you pre-order it.

Seems stupid to not buy a game that obviously appealed to you because some box wasn't checked.

But hey, you have the right. It's just obvious that people who do this don't care as much about the game itself as justifying their expectations for their PC.

My pre-order was based on some base assumptions that the game would perform to standard expectations, including basic functionality such as arbitrary resolution support and ≥60 FPS.

I'm not sure I buy the as the developer intended argument, but this boils down to a completely subjective ideologies. Personally, I am very sensitive to framerates.

I will probably keep the pre-order anyways, but as I said this time of the year is extremely crowded, with multiple titles vying for my attention.

somehow I have the feeling that all this evil within 30/60 fps stuff is Turf's fault

simpsons_mob.gif

Anteater

i dunno i found it to be almost completely derivative and the only interesting thing which would be the memory manipulation thing i didn't enjoy how it worked at all

yeah basically it boils down into doing 3 different combos over and over, uncharted platforming, and has 3 (or maybe 4) of those memory thingies total through out the game.

It looks good tho

Turfster

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Just know that yours is wrong ;)

MadGear

Just so you know, you don't have to use those weird looking HD Character Models. This is from the Mod description:

Also found a pic of Alyx in the latest Cinematic Mod, great detail, but it just wouldn't fit in my Half Life 2... :

Oh, then maybe i'll still take a look at it once i get Episode 1 and 2.
It was after i watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQe7aiR9Yb8 (includes a small sample of the terrible german VO :D) that i got interested in this mod because i really liked the the look of the forest environment (not so much the god ray flickering), but at that time i thought it would be a more faithful rework of the original textures. However looking at Alyx' remodel i wouldn't be surprised if some of the original environments look completely different with that mod :D

Tenrius

Whatever it is, just ignore it. When someone teases like this, they just want attention, and the game will probably suck. That's my rule anyway. If it was that good, they'd name it. If it's not, better to just keep it a surprise, right?

Well, I understand that it's mostly just attention seeking, but I think it's still fun to poke around and try to guess what the game might be. And apparently it's not possible to name it, because NDA and stuff.

MadGear

It's shit, it's always been shit. "Hur dur I slapped all these totally wrong textures in high res on random models not meant for them and added a nekkid Alyx"
It's the biggest waste of download bandwidth and time ever =p

Well to be fair, as a kid i probably would also have had a certain interest in that ... after all me and my friends were super excited once we learned of the tomb raider 2 nude cheat :> Not proud of it but yeah ... i was young.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Today I finished Red Dead Redemption for the first time (had the ending spoiled beforehand, but as I didn't know the details it was still great). I'll only say that if this ever came to Steam, I'd buy it day one for $60, no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom