• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dunno i found it to be almost completely derivative and the only interesting thing which would be the memory manipulation thing i didn't enjoy how it worked at all

it felt like a waste of time
I finished it, and I have to agree.
Aside from the art direction I didn't really like Remember Me, I'm probably gonna pick up DONTNOD's next game which is apparently going to be more focused choices and changing the course of history!

Turfster made a petition for 30fps on PC and the devs complied.

No, the issue is that we don't know.

Wow. He must've finally snapped after no one read his posts. It's cool, though. No one will read his petition either!

Just kidding, your posts have saved money a ton of money :D

Is there any basis for the idea that it's not 60?

Miguel81

If the TEW is a good game then it's worth a buy, even at 30fps(for me). You can't force that on everyone, though. For some folk, 30 and might make for an unpleasant experience. Then you have the fact that it's stuck that way for the foreseeable future, unless it gets hacked like NFS Rivals. Now where are those Alien codes, AMD?(I know, after release)

iosefe

If the TEW is a good game then it's worth a buy, even at 30fps(for me). You can't force that on everyone, though. For some folk, 30 and might make for an unpleasant experience. Then you have the fact that it's stuck that way for the foreseeable future, unless it gets hacked like NFS Rivals. Now where are those Alien codes, AMD?

after release

Arthea

technically, if you can run game twice faster 30fps becomes 60fps. Or if you can slow your time two times, that's not so hard to do.
sorry, I had to (><)

Momentary

Banned
I think it's pretty sad that people would pre-order the game then cancel it once they found out it was 30fps instead of 60fps...

I mean, did you not like what was shown to you enough to pre-order it? Was it shown in 60fps, then that suddenly changed?

lol no...

I actually like to have responsive controls and gameplay that isn't sluggish, which is part of the gaming experience for me. If it doesn't bother you, then cool. Don't be condescending towards people because they actually like responsive gameplay. Especially for game a like Hyper Light Drifter. Which I threw 75 bucks at. I'll still buy TEW as well, but the 30fps is going to ruin the gameplay for me.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah basically it boils down into doing 3 different combos over and over, uncharted platforming, and has 3 (or maybe 4) of those memory thingies total through out the game.

It looks good tho

i also think the combo system just works against the batman combat

like it doesn't feel seemless cos you gotta be timing the combos and also timing your dodges but half the times you will get attacked mid timing so you gotta start over

it's just not good combat

and the uncharted platforming is just awful in any game that it's in so, yeah

you can tell there's some ideas in that game but they're so washed up

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
confession time

i've never played paper mario, majora's mask, ocarina of time (i have it on gamecube for preordering wind waker) and mario rpg :D

If you ever plan on playing it, the GC version of OoT is okay, but OoT 3D fixes the irritant that is the Water Temple, so if you've got a 3DS, go with that version.

The Water Temple isn't so much difficult as it is "fuck this inventory system that makes it longer than necessary to change boots" prior to OoT 3D.

Teeth

It's quite sad how not only didn't the industry improve that level of interactivity, but basically regressed. So many bolted, non-interactive elements in today's games. When HL2 came out I thought that would be the future, but not even Valve themselves have followed their own lead :(

Sorta related, in the Ethan Carter OT people were complaining about the lack of hands, first person animations and I brought up HL1 and 2 and how I think body awareness is in relation to the level of interactivity. Aka the more authentic you want to look, the less interaction you get, because there might be budget concerns. In HL2 Valve didn't have to worry about that as Gordon wasn't animated.

Yes and no. When games come out, they don't create a new baseline for all other games. When Red Faction Guerrilla came out, the expectation for destruction may have increased, but the nature of what destruction is best for a given game varies by design.

HL2 isn't a baseline, it was an outlier in its time and an it's an outlier now. I believe interactivity has increased on the whole, but not in specific games. HL2 may be the high watermark, but games like Dead Space and Bioshock have utilized its design elements in other ways. I think people get far too focused on the big games that they are blind to what actually gets made. Especially on the fringes. Everyone would be cheering aloud if they saw Call of Duty as the natural extension of Virtua Cop, than in the same genre as Deus Ex.

As for design choices like full body awareness...it's a give and take depending on design. The game with the most fully realized body awareness is probably Thief 2014. They put considerable effort into it and it was a direct design choice. I don't think that it came at the expense of anything else either (aside from a higher budget).

But the authenticity. To be fair the first time I heard Castlevania's Vampire Killer at the speed it was meant to be played it sounded really odd. Sonic is even more soul destroying. My childhood was a lie, a slow pace lie!

Well maybe not my Speccy memories but there's only so much 8 colours can convey

Orrrr we embrace physical copies still in 2015 and pay £29.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IS6S81G/

It's 99.99% cert to be Steamworks.
Thanks for the Arkham Knight heads up. I've pre-ordered it because it's free to do so. I'll cancel it if it's cheaper near launch.
Welp, I figured today was as good a day as any to put in a few pre-orders:

Sorry SteamGAF and NintendoGAF, I've failed you.
I don't even own a PS4.

Something tells me that my youngest son will probably have small kids of his own by the time Kingdom Hearts III is actually released. So that'll be a good excuse for a grown ass man to be playing a game with Disney characters.
Nooo! You have to have faith that KH3 and FFXV are coming to Steam!
Ground Zeroes at anything more than $20 is going to be a tough sell against the Christmas sale.
It really should be $10, or $15 with a 33% discount, given that it's being released so long after the console versions and it's no more than a demo.

derExperte

i also think the combo system just works against the batman combat

like it doesn't feel seemless cos you gotta be timing the combos and also timing your dodges but half the times you will get attacked mid timing so you gotta start over

But you can continue the combo after a dodge. And the longer one is, the higher the reward. It's not the greatest combat but very competent imo, just like everything else. Only the memory sequences drag the game down due to the slow rewind, good idea, bad execution.

Miguel81

confession time

i've never played paper mario, majora's mask, ocarina of time (i have it on gamecube for preordering wind waker) and mario rpg :D

I give this a rec. Such an utterly charming game, with humor to spare and some more insight into the mushroom kindgdom. Nothing too difficult and it doesn't wear out it's welcome even if you try your hand atl most of the side-quests/activities. Sorry, OT.

zkylon

zkylewd
But you can continue the combo after a dodge. And the longer one is, the higher the reward. It's not the greatest combat but very competent imo, just like everything else. Only the memory sequences drag the game down due to the slow rewind, good idea, bad execution.
unless i understood something wrong that's only if you get the timing right, which is often impossible cos you're attacked mid combo and you're forced to use dodge off-timing

edit: you can follow up the combo only if your dodge is timed as your next attack would

iosefe

Where was this said? I've only ever seen this posted by people who merely theorized it was coming post-launch, and never an official statement from AMD/CA/Sega.

well, AMD doesn't have the codes yet, they are waiting on the devs to give them.

post launch could be an hour after launch, who knows, but it's quite doubtful we'll get them before.

Tizoc

unless i understood something wrong that's only if you get the timing right, which is often impossible cos you're attacked mid combo and you're forced to use dodge off-timing

Dodging doesn't break a combo IIRC.
As long as you remember the next attack in a sequence you can finish it for massive damage.

Tellaerin

That's not Alyx's face though, that's Adriana Lima.

To answer why they do these rediculous models, I'd say it's the same reason people make similar Skyrim models and why you see so many ENB screenshots of Skyrim featuring these custom female models. They want to create their ideal girlfriend and show her off.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I think it's just a matter of wanting to mod things to better reflect my personal tastes. Alyx has an appealing personality, but I don't think the face of the default charactermodel is particularly pretty. The booty shorts and skimpy clothes are immersion-breaking to me, so I wouldn't use a model like that, but modding her face to something I find more aesthetically pleasing? I'd install that in a heartbeat. One of the big advantages of playing games on PC is the ability to "season to taste", rather than just eating whatever we're served.

Tenrius

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I think it's just a matter of wanting to mod things to better reflect my personal tastes. Alyx has an appealing personality, but I don't think the face of the default charactermodel is particularly pretty. The booty shorts and skimpy clothes are immersion-breaking to me, so I wouldn't use a model like that, but modding her face to something I find more aesthetically appealing? I'd install that in a heartbeat. One of the big advantages of playing games on PC is the ability to "season to taste", rather than just eating whatever we're served.

This does sound rather weird to me, almost like replacing a certain character's name in a book because you don't like it. Well, to each his own.

dani_dc

After 2 hours of starting FF XIV (1 hour of updating, 40 minutes of making the character and 20 minutes of initial story) I'm finally ready to start the game.

But now I no longer feel like playing.

Did something uncharacteristic of myself and decided to go with a character of the opposite gender of myself in an online game.

I was disappointed by the lack of options this game has, PSO in 2001 had more variety of options than FF XIV in 2014.

zkylon

zkylewd
cat ears <3

Dodging doesn't break a combo IIRC.
As long as you remember the next attack in a sequence you can finish it for massive damage.
maybe you're right

i have other problems with the combat tho but i think overall it just did the batman thing wrong. it's just not fun and exciting like the batman games are

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I think it's just a matter of wanting to mod things to better reflect my personal tastes. Alyx has an appealing personality, but I don't think the face of the default charactermodel is particularly pretty. The booty shorts and skimpy clothes are immersion-breaking to me, so I wouldn't use a model like that, but modding her face to something I find more aesthetically pleasing? I'd install that in a heartbeat. One of the big advantages of playing games on PC is the ability to "season to taste", rather than just eating whatever we're served.
i agree, which is why i'm all over jill's fixed face for revelaitons

that being said random model face is just poor taste

taste is #1 thing

Anteater

I give this a rec. Such an utterly charming game, with humor to spare and some more insight into the mushroom kindgdom. Nothing too difficult and it doesn't wear out it's welcome even if you try your hand atl most of the side-quests/activities. Sorry, OT.

I think I mostly skipped the mario spinoffs because it's mario back in the days, despite actually liking the main mario games, it was why I didn't play the mario rpg on snes because I took those games too seriously when I was a kid

MadGear

You're calling her ugly?
alyx-vance.jpg

Thanks to you Alyx is sad now, so Episode 3 has been officially canceled.

To each his own, but i don't really understand the need for her to be esthetically pleasing (in a super model way) in the first place. At least i was never really bothered by it, but then again i also didn't consider her look to be displeasing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Turf told the developers to release at 60fps, but no one listened to him.

more like Turf murdered the devs pets with his mutant arm and forced them to make it 30, because he cant play games at 60fps with his aforementioned mutant arm, its too fast for him! This is Turf trying to deal with games at 60fps:

akira_tetsuo_head_grab_v011.gif

Tizoc

All this worry on the FPS of Evil Within is needless stress atm
vaxrxxtj8skyftljnvkg.gif

Relax, take it easy, go play a game in your Steam library or go look for that next +1.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think it's pretty sad that people would pre-order the game then cancel it once they found out it was 30fps instead of 60fps...

I mean, did you not like what was shown to you enough to pre-order it? Was it shown in 60fps, then that suddenly changed?

lol no...
I remember hating Dark Souls until I got the 60fps patch.

I mean, look at the strongly negative reactions to HFR films. Makes sense that the reverse would hold for PC gaming.

Tellaerin

i agree, which is why i'm all over jill's fixed face for revelaitons

that being said random model face is just poor taste

taste is #1 thing

"Taste" is so subjective, though. I mean, someone on the development side thought things like Revelations Jill or Derpy Lara were actually improvements. >.> Similarly, I know my personal tastes aren't necessarily going to be shared by everyone else out there. (For example, my "ideal" Lara Croft would be built like Jordan Carver, as opposed to the more "realistic" look CD seems to be after these days.) Thankfully, modding means I can do more than just hope some developer's preferences align with mine (or yours, or whatever).

You're calling her ugly?
alyx-vance.jpg

Thanks to you Alyx is sad now, so Episode 3 has been officially canceled.

To each his own, but i don't really understand the need for her to be esthetically pleasing (in a super model way) in the first place. At least i was never really bothered by it, but then again i also didn't consider her look to be displeasing.

She's not hideous, but her face just seems off to me. I think her eyes are weirdly spaced and she looks strange when she smiles. It's like... Have you ever seen a movie where an actor or actress is cast in a role, and you know they're supposed to be considered attractive based on the script and the other characters' reactions, but you look at them and you're like, "meh"? Well, that's how it is with me and the default Alyx model. So I'd welcome a mod that brings her face more in line with what I personally find appealing. Just that personal taste thing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom