• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

Without. I wanted the original experience, like everybody else had when they played it for the first time. Also did you see the Alyx model in the Cinematic Mod. So oversexualized :D You can play without that model I know, just sayin...^^

Too much Adriana Lima influence, lol, dunno how the model of the mod looks now:

This is an incredibly high quality, fucking hideous model. Everything they did to Alyx flies in the face of her character's representation. Gross.

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks that HL2 has fairly timeless graphics. That game was constructed with what call "functional graphics". I don't mean functional in the sense that they just get the job done, I mean functional in the sense that everything that is represented graphically has actual function in the game. All of the terrain and objects have collision that is native to the representative/graphical model. All of the set dressing is movable and manipulable, which means you don't end up with the weird dichotomy between what is "game" and what is "just visuals".

For instance, when you walk into a room in Uncharted 2, all of the chairs and tables are nailed down, if you shoot a gun at a pot, it doesn't move...the only thing that is gameplay dependent are the specifically noted items that the designers have laid out for you amongst the breadth of set dressing. Everything is gorgeous, and everything is made of concrete.

Whereas HL2 has relatively spartan environments, but you know you can interact with literally everything in the scene. This means the user doesn't have to split "what is there to look good" and "what I actually can play with" in their head.

Most games look beauteous, but they fall into the Uncanny Valley of environments.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was always 30fps on consoles, we still don't know what the PC version runs at.

i dont want to be harsh... but I dont give 2 fucks about the console version, much less in the steam thread

Warner is the publisher.

I wrote that post with something like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry in mind. When I look at the AAA games here on Amazon, I'd pay 59.99 for the PC version (digital and retail) and 69.99 for the console version. That just can't be right. Even if you find cheap retail deals, you're still stuck with Uplay alone on the retail versions.

Wok

I was on general internet/forum/Steam blackout for a good while for legitimate reasons, but things are back to normal enough now that I'm no longer in hiding. I own up to and apologize to all the applicable people for my failure in communication during that time. It's good to see the Steam threads are healthier than ever.

Welcome back!

A wild xelios appears!

My reaction exactly when I saw the little notification!

zkylon

zkylewd
oh I did! I liked it, it's the last 3d mario I liked (I played mario sunshine and didn't like it), I didn't play the super mario galaxy games though. It kind of sucks the nintendo games I played rubbed me the wrong way after snes because I skipped most of the n64 games and I didn't like the GC games that much :(

yeah basically the n64 is the furthest i got since the cd/dvd era brought lots of piracy to argieland which meant we could actually afford the damn games and so i never got to even try the gamecube

n64 games were particularly expensive back in the day and so i literally had 3 or 4 at best and we had to coordinate among friends not to buy the same games so we could lend them to each other. i think my entire n64 library was mario 64, the zelda games, smash and cruis'n usa, which i only had cos i loved playing games with my dad and he only played racing games

but yeah that all died after the ps1 showed up and i never had a handheld console so i've sadly missed a lot of nintendo goodness

i might try and get my hands on fusion next. is it on 3ds or something?

This is an incredibly high quality, fucking hideous model. Everything they did to Alyx flies in the face of her character's representation. Gross.

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks that HL2 has fairly timeless graphics. That game was constructed with what call "functional graphics". I don't mean functional in the sense that they just get the job done, I mean functional in the sense that everything that is represented graphically has actual function in the game. All of the terrain and objects have collision that is native to the representative/graphical model. All of the set dressing is movable and manipulable, which means you don't end up with the weird dichotomy between what is "game" and what is "just visuals".

For instance, when you walk into a room in Uncharted 2, all of the chairs and tables are nailed down, if you shoot a gun at a pot, it doesn't move...the only thing that is gameplay dependent are the specifically noted items that the designers have laid out for you amongst the breadth of set dressing. Everything is gorgeous, and everything is made of concrete.

Whereas HL2 has relatively spartan environments, but you know you can interact with literally everything in the scene. This means the user doesn't have to split "what is there to look good" and "what I actually can play with" in their head.

Most games look beauteous, but they fall into the Uncanny Valley of environments.
i actually wish graphics advancements had plateaued at hl2 levels and all tech improvements from the last 10 years had been used strictly for gameplay purposes

AHA-Lambda

Between good deals on Arkham Knight, Resi Revelations 2 and the evil within, it's been physical FTW to me lately xD

yo, how fucked am I to play the new games?

S17HmnQ.png

Pfft, I'm still rocking 512mb :(

Lain

Welcome back Xelios and happy birthday Jshackles!

Played many more hours of Mordor today, finally decided to move the story ahead a bit more and I was really saddened when
Ratbag died
. I was growing fond of the little bugger.

I like the second map better than the first. All that green and the light makes it feel a bit more relaxing to look at.
I have switched from fullscreen+vsync to borderless w/o vsync and the limiter at 60 after having read about it on here and it is indeed a better experience. In the outposts the framerate would switch between 60 and 30 and it was very annoying, while now it's no longer the case. Though I'll say, with a 970 I was expecting the game to keep 60 fps somewhat better.

Teeth

I think the point is they have been upfront with the console framerate from the beginning, but extremely evasive with the PC version.

If it is 30fps...are you ready for people defending it by saying "It's a horror game. They purposely chose that framerate to impede your response time. It's a design decision. The lower framerate psychologically affects you into interpreting the unnatural movements the way the Mikami intended."

It is coming. Scarier than any monster in the game.

Skyzard

Banned
The console version has been confirmed to be running at 30 FPS on a modified version of ID5.

Bethesda has never responded to questions on the PC framerate, hoping to alleviate that by sending out some Tweets to key developers and community managers within Bethesda

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132993878&postcount=1452

The evasiveness on the issue is worrisome to say the least.

Tweeted them...

Hopefully it's just that they don't want to confirm the PC version is better than the console versions...

Otherwise for fuck sake.

Good news, everyone! Project Zomboid is 40% off today (or USD$8.99).

This is a call to arms, SteamGAF. Buy it nao. Embrace one of the best Early Access titles on Steam, from a developer that actually understands how to use the service. You'll not only get to play an incredibly cool zombie survival game, you'll also be helping the devs to continue to make it better.

Huh. I never even noticed that about HL2, but it's absolutely true. I've also found that the HL2 characters look both good and semi-realistic, in spite of their age... which is why my mind is boggled by that Cinematic Mod's butchery of their forms.

Grief.exe

Welcome back Xelios and happy birthday Jshackles!

Played many more hours of Mordor today, finally decided to move the story ahead a bit more and I was really saddened when
Ratbag died
. I was growing fond of the little bugger.

I like the second map better than the first. All that green and the light makes it feel a bit more relaxing to look at.
I have switched from fullscreen+vsync to borderless w/o vsync and the limiter at 60 after having read about it on here and it is indeed a better experience. In the outposts the framerate would switch between 60 and 30 and it was very annoying, while now it's no longer the case. Though I'll say, with a 970 I was expecting the game to keep 60 fps somewhat better.

Turn down textures and meshes to high and you will be at a constant 60 FPS with relatively low GPU usage.

I personally think the game needs a few optimization passes, specifically with the texture streaming.

Kiru

Wow, didn't even know about that. I actually was really impressed with the environments i saw in a video but if Alyx looks like that then vanilla is probably the way to go which is sad because the other models really seem to look like proper high res versions of the old ones.

holy moly that's hideous
Just so you know, you don't have to use those weird looking HD Character Models. This is from the Mod description:
There are 2 versions of CM 12

The Full version, with new HD characters.
The LE version, the Light Edition, does not include the HD characters.
Also found a pic of Alyx in the latest Cinematic Mod, great detail, but it just wouldn't fit in my Half Life 2... :

If it is 30fps...are you ready for people defending it by saying "It's a horror game. They purposely chose that framerate to impede your response time. It's a design decision. The lower framerate psychologically affects you into interpreting the unnatural movements the way the Mikami intended."

We need a NeoGAF horror game featuring monsters like these.

Grief.exe

Dogg dug up some Tweets where a Bethesda community manager literally said that. Note the date and the PC related responses further down.

https://twitter.com/jasonxbergman/status/438736255036424192

Sesf9b4.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sega/Creative Assembly are sending them out to AMD after release.

Was this announced through an email I never got, then? I've been keeping an eye out on various twitter profiles and the most I've seen thus far was AMD telling people it was in CA's hands, nothing about it being post release.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice and easy copy paste:

@Bethblog @johnjohanas Will @TheEvilWithin be locked to 30 frames per second on PC? Thank you.

@jasonxbergman Hi there, I was wondering if you knew whether TEW will be locked to 30 fps on PC? Thank you.

If it's locked to 30 then it better look like the shit at 4k, before it gets unlocked.

I mean, it's still going to be great at 30fps. But I can't help but say I will be super disappointed and I'm sure other, more extreme folks will skip it entirely.

TEW's been a roller coaster of misinformation for a while now.

Teeth

i actually wish graphics advancements had plateaued at hl2 levels and all tech improvements from the last 10 years had been used strictly for gameplay purposes

Yes and no. I do not think that every game should have the same focus of graphics (fidelity vs. functionality), it's a sliding scale influenced by both macro and micro design. That said, I wish more games took the functional graphics direction. I also really enjoy beautiful games. I do not wish that graphics stopped at the HL2 fidelity because with the power available today, enhanced lighting and higher fidelity geometry and texture pages are easily accomplished. The quagmire of budgets these days would have been avoided, but systemic graphic changes can make a huge difference for low cost (ie- a more advanced lighting model doesn't have the same production cost that high resolution assets do, and it can be applied over the entire game).

Also "gameplay purposes" is vague and undefined, and in a computational sense, games haven't been cpu or GPU bound on gameplay design since about the inception of the 360. AI and design are algorithmically, logically, and design/intellectually limited, not hardware limited.

That said, HL2 has been receiving updates for yonks, the game looks substantially better now then at release.

(also, on the "functional graphics" note, when I played Portal 2 for the first time and got to a room with a bunch of chairs all lined up, I was very disappointed to find that they were all attached to the floor. I mean, there weren't even controller functions to manipulate them, but I could tell that the baked-in shadow maps were likely the culprit for why they weren't movable. It was a distinct design decision vs. visual fidelity in the face of limited hardware capabilities).

Dogg dug up some Tweets where a Bethesda community manager literally said that. Note the date and the PC related responses further down.

https://twitter.com/jasonxbergman/status/438736255036424192

Sesf9b4.png

Well, saying that they were aiming for 30fps on consoles as a design decision being "proper" for a horror game isn't insane to me. On limited spec, with reaction time less necessary, the increased visual fidelity granted likely does more for its themes than the fluidity.

Selfishly, I always hope that every multiplatform game has a 30fps target on consoles. It means the highest possible assets are generated for the budget and it will (most likely) be able to be played at 60fps on PC.

Turfster

why would you do that to your game T_T

It's shit, it's always been shit. "Hur dur I slapped all these totally wrong textures in high res on random models not meant for them and added a nekkid Alyx"
It's the biggest waste of download bandwidth and time ever =p

Anteater

PRESS X TO JASON

yeah basically the n64 is the furthest i got since the cd/dvd era brought lots of piracy to argieland which meant we could actually afford the damn games and so i never got to even try the gamecube

n64 games were particularly expensive back in the day and so i literally had 3 or 4 at best and we had to coordinate among friends not to buy the same games so we could lend them to each other. i think my entire n64 library was mario 64, the zelda games, smash and cruis'n usa, which i only had cos i loved playing games with my dad and he only played racing games

but yeah that all died after the ps1 showed up and i never had a handheld console so i've sadly missed a lot of nintendo goodness

not to mention there were like 3 consoles to choose from, I went with the final fantasy and resident evil machine instead of mario >_>

Tenrius

So I've just discovered this HL2 Cinematic Mod you guys are talking about… Went to their site to see some pics, found this:

(NSFW)http://cinematicmod.com/images/cm_11/environments/cm_11_18.jpg(NSFW)

tZOS8.gif

Also, welcome back xelios, and happy birthday jshackles!

"Bloom setting DREAMY".

Oh god.

Well I'm clueless now, can't think of any pc exclusives in November except for A Bird Story, and it won't be that.

That's kind of the point, though, we're not supposed to know the release date of this game.

Anteater

So I've just discovered this HL2 Cinematic Mod you guys are talking about… Went to their site to see some pics, found this:

(NSFW)http://cinematicmod.com/images/cm_11/environments/cm_11_18.jpg(NSFW)

tZOS8.gif

Also, welcome back xelios, and happy birthday jshackles!

the cinematic mod isn't actually trying to be faithful to the original game, the developer already said so, although he gave the options for different character models, but basically he's just doing whatever the fuck he likes, I don't particular mind it because hey it's his project, he should do whatever he wants.

Grief.exe

the cinematic mod isn't actually trying to be faithful to the original game, the developer already said so, although he gave the options for different character models, but basically he's just doing whatever the fuck he likes, I don't particular mind it because hey it's his project, he should do whatever he wants.

Does he give an option for the original character models?

Turfster

The worst part is the people that swear by it and claim it makes the game 10000% better because it has "HD" textures.

also i decided to drop remember me
but it's not worth it

bunkshakinghead.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
i decided to drop remember me

it's a pretty game and it was fun for a bit playing it on french but to me it's just a waste of time, just a collection of things done better by better games that couldn't hold my attention for more than half an hour

was just playing it to add it to my finished games list but it's not worth it

Yes and no. I do not think that every game should have the same focus of graphics (fidelity vs. functionality), it's a sliding scale influenced by both macro and micro design. That said, I wish more games took the functional graphics direction. I also really enjoy beautiful games. I do not wish that graphics stopped at the HL2 fidelity because with the power available today, enhanced lighting and higher fidelity geometry and texture pages are easily accomplished. The quagmire of budgets these days would have been avoided, but systemic graphic changes can make a huge difference for low cost (ie- a more advanced lighting model doesn't have the same production cost that high resolution assets do, and it can be applied over the entire game).

Also "gameplay purposes" is vague and undefined, and in a computational sense, games haven't been cpu or GPU bound on gameplay design since about the inception of the 360. AI and design are algorithmically, logically, and design/intellectually limited, not hardware limited.

That said, HL2 has been receiving updates for yonks, the game looks substantially better now then at release.

(also, on the "functional graphics" note, when I played Portal 2 for the first time and got to a room with a bunch of chairs all lined up, I was very disappointed to find that they were all attached to the floor. I mean, there weren't even controller functions to manipulate them, but I could tell that the baked-in shadow maps were likely the culprit for why they weren't movable. It was a distinct design decision vs. visual fidelity in the face of limited hardware capabilities).
yea i mispoke

i meant budget allocation being directed towards design rather than tech. or just smaller budgets altogether

It's shit, it's always been shit. "Hur dur I slapped all these totally wrong textures in high res on random models not meant for them and added a nekkid Alyx"
It's the biggest waste of download bandwidth and time ever =p
i mean i've installed questionable mods in the past but i never kept them for more than the time it took for me to be ashamed of myself

not to mention there were like 3 consoles to choose from, I went with the final fantasy and resident evil machine instead of mario >_>
yeah, that too

i grew up on ps1 rpgs so i'm so i don't regret it whatsoever

and the original xbox wasn't even available in argieland lol

also i decided to drop remember me

it's a pretty game and it was fun for a bit playing it on french but to me it's just a waste of time, just a collection of things done better by better games that couldn't hold my attention for more than half an hour

I just finished it ten minutes ago.

What I didnt understand is, why they didnt add a "skip cutscenes" button. I mean if you want to get all the collectibles, you have to replay a level and watch all the long drawn out cutscenes again...

A lot of wasted potential.

Anteater

Does he give an option for the original character models?

hmm, it's been years since the last time I installed it (it was in its early days), but I remember there were like super model Alyx and the regular Alyx to choose from, I don't really know if the original had texture upgrade or just the regular, but pretty sure he gave you the option to not install the super model textures.

He got a lot of shit from fans about it so the installer has a few options, I mean sure maybe it's not actually good and maybe his taste was questionable, but it's still a personal project and he gave several options.

Miguel81

i decided to drop remember me

Super Metroid...Wow. That's all that really needs to be said.

zkylon

zkylewd
bunkshakinghead.gif
huh?

I just finished it ten minutes ago.

What I didnt understand is, why they didnt add a "skip cutscenes" button. I mean if you want to get all the collectibles, you have to replay a level and watch all the long drawn out cutscenes again...

A lot of wasted potential.
yeah, very annoying since sometimes you can't exit the game until a cutscene's over and then when you load your save you gotta watch the damn thing all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom