• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Banned
GMG seems to have a coupon every week for the last month. You guys think they might throw another one up after the 20% one expires? I can't order TEW until friday, so I'm hoping they do. Sucks that it's not much cheaper over in Russia. Best I've seen from a trader has been $50.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GMG seems to have a coupon every week for the last month. You guys think they might throw another one up after the 20% one expires? I can't order TEW until friday, so I'm hoping they do.

dont be like me that kept putting of buying FF13 25% off because "the voucher will be there, I have time" and then...it wasnt there anymore

According to ES it's $22.48.

thought I heard it was super cheap in russia, that is not super cheap :/ might still bite tho, if only to stress the rig

Tellaerin

I think that anyone that uses mods to change the graphical assets or look of the game has no respect for the artists that made those assets in the first place. One should let the original work stand, unadulterated.

Try playing any Elder Scrolls game unmodded. Tell me how much respect you have for Bethesda's character modelers after you're done clawing your eyes out. :p

I believe she does, but I'm okay with that. Cyborgs need love too. : )

That said, Ewelina's definitely a nice choice for Lara.

I guess what you're saying is that everyone's a sucker for a pretty face with a sob story. Personally, I don't give a shit what they look like as long as the story is good.

Yeah sure, she can be considered shallow for that. It's not as if women can't be as shallow as men.

I don't think it's shallow to enjoy looking at characters you find appealing. I'd argue it becomes shallowness when appearances are all somebody ever cares about.

UnrealEck

Does an actor's physical attractiveness have any relevance to a movie's plot?
It depends. If there's a part of the plot which mentions a character's beauty. Like say, a character which uses their beauty to influence other people.
Otherwise, no.

Would you say that their appearance is irrelevant and has no impact on your enjoyment?

It has such an insignificant impact I wouldn't even notice it having an impact. This is why it's curious to me why people change the look of a character in a game for a victoria's secret model for example.

(And a friend of mine has mentioned more than once that she considered Geralt hot, and it clearly factored into her enjoyment of The Witcher and TW2. So I guess she's shallow, too.)
Yes, I'd say she is shallow. If that was an actual talking point (more than once especially) that finding a character hot actually gave you more enjoyment out of the game, that's exceedingly shallow.

Skyzard

Banned
Oh wow, I was expecting a lot more AC, but that seemed to be a competent stealth game. Plus the levels seem to be very open, with a ton of paths and options to proceed forward. Definitely on my radar now.

Yeah, it looks really well made, love the clone abilities too.

Want for sure.

Shadownet

Banned
So do you guys know who xelios is? He has a Lion King avatar. He sent me a friend request. kinda shifty. I mean how can you trust people with Disney avatars?

lol

zkylon

zkylewd
Hey, I've already said as much. You know that. : )

As far as Lara specifically, though, Jordan Carver's build is a lot closer to my mental image of a "real" Lara than CD's current model - someone who's extremely busty, but fit and athletic. That impression dates back to the PS1, sharp-poly-boobs days. I wouldn't imagine, say, Nilin from Remember Me looking like that, though - it doesn't fit with how I envision the character. (I really need to pick that up come sale time, after listening to Turfster talk it up.) Or is it just considered in poor taste to find busty women attractive nowadays? >.>

i'd say it's def in poor taste to replace a character with a big boob all makeup beauty model version of herself for sure

but i haven't played that uncharted spinoff and i have no idea who jordan carver is so who knows

Volimar

So do you guys know who xelios is? He has a Lion King avatar. He sent me a friend request. kinda shifty. I mean how can you trust people with Disney avatars?

lol

His name is almost Xellos, a not to be trusted character in Slayers.

Q3pDtAF.jpg

The evidence speaks for itself.

Chaos17

I think that anyone that uses mods to change the graphical assets or look of the game has no respect for the artists that made those assets in the first place. One should let the original work stand, unadulterated.

Whut ??
I'm sorry but I think Skyrim paper dolls are ugly so much that I think at dev were lazy with the character creator. So yeah, I'm happy that modders made decent/cool/sexy characters instead for example.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's the worst insult too, having a 60 euro game and a pre-order "discount" making it 50 euros. Which SHOULD be the normal price..

im surprised it took so long for pc games to start being 60€ when console games have been 70€ for years now

How do I use Borderless Gaming with my games? I'm trying with Sleepy Dawgs but every time I alt tab my game goes to a bordered window that doesn't maximize when I click it.

Mordor has opened my eyes.

I want to know whether this AAA pricing method is actually helping the publishers to make more money, or it's just an "Eugene Krabs" business strategy.

I'm enjoying DA:O a lot, I still need to get used to the combat but I like that you can change the views and pause to give orders to your mates. So far the story seems to be good, I thinking I may know what is going to happen but I hope to be surprised again.

First waifus, now boob talk. Who knew Steam gaf was so lewd.

Once a month Steam GAF goes crazy.

im surprised it took so long for pc games to start being 60€ when console games have been 70€ for years now

Different standards, and it's more difficult to justify it in the PC's case when the PC gaming has been trending towards digital distribution for years. Even now a lot of PC-exclusive games are bucking the trend of their console brethren.

A lot of it, I think, has to do with new consoles and the ease with which developers/publishers/marketers can justify the increase in price because "it's new and shiny," whereas the PC is always just... the PC. There are no big, grand, sweeping upgrades across all the PCs that games can capitalise on to increase their base price.

Actually no, IGN sent me an email saying GMG has a 20% off coupon right now. It seem like everyone has access to this since its available on their front page.

I was trying to grab some BootyCreeds:Unified

Remember that BootyCreeds: Unified is an Uplay key, not Steam.

Crub

The last few days I always have to do multiple log in attempts before I'm able to connect to Steam. Most of the time I am also unable to connect to games in Dota (I get to the red loading screen and am then thrown back to the menu).

Any idea what could be behind this? I haven't changed anything on my computer that I'm aware of. I run Steam as an administrator. I have tried reinstalling Steam and even forwarded all suggested ports on my router.

First I believed this was a temporary issue that everyone had but it seems to only have affected me. Any idea what could be behind this? I'm completely out of ideas and getting kind of frustrated. :(

Tellaerin

It depends. If there's a part of the plot which mentions a character's beauty. Like say, a character which uses their beauty to influence other people.
Otherwise, no.

It has such an insignificant impact I wouldn't even notice it having an impact. This is why it's curious to me why people change the look of a character in a game for a victoria's secret model for example.

Yes, I'd say she is shallow. If that was an actual talking point (more than once especially) that finding a character hot actually gave you more enjoyment out of the game, that's exceedingly shallow.

Whereas I find nothing particularly shallow about physical attractiveness factoring into the appeal of a character for someone. It strikes me as a reasonable, normal, human response. The opposite - claiming to be completely indifferent to physical appearance and deriving no enjoyment from seeing someone attractive in a role - feels weirdly affectless and asexual to me. I suppose we're both entitled to our opinions.

Ozium

Try playing any Elder Scrolls game unmodded. Tell me how much respect you have for Bethesda's character modelers after you're done clawing your eyes out. :p

Whut ??
I'm sorry but I think Skyrim paper dolls are ugly so much that I think at dev were lazy with the character creator. So yeah, I'm happy that modders made decent/cool/sexy characters instead for example.

I think the art in TES matches its gameplay..

Complete shit.

The solution to this isn't modding, it's not playing it or buying it.

Miguel81

Anybody else make their Bosmers taller than everybody else? Well I do, and damn the lore.

Complete shit.

Are you including Morrowind?

Tellaerin

Complete shit.

So even if they enjoy the gameplay, they shouldn't buy it? (Whether or not you think they should enjoy it is really beside the point.)

AsfaeksBR

Just finished Painkiller: Hell & Damnation on Co-Op.
It was more fun that I imagined, but the game itself is really... crap!
__

Speaking of which, any recommendations of games with online Co-Op campaigns?

Actually no, IGN sent me an email saying GMG has a 20% off coupon right now. It seem like everyone has access to this since its available on their front page.
I thought I'd finally buy the Dark Souls 2 DLC from GMG with that coupon, but it seems that both of the Souls games have been removed from the storefront. Weird.

MattyG

Banned
dont be like me that kept putting of buying FF13 25% off because "the voucher will be there, I have time" and then...it wasnt there anymore
Yeah, don't want to do that. The only way I'll be able to get it before the coupon expires though is to rush to the bank before my early class tomorrow, deposit nearly all my cash and then drain the account. Decisions decisions.

More DA:O spoiler
I wasn't expecting Daveth dying in thr ritual and Ser Jory being murdered by Duncan, I thought they were going to be permanent members on my party. :/

Tellaerin

SxutO.gif

Should people replace actors in a film if they don't like them but enjoy the plot and cinematography?

Should people replace paragraphs in a novel they don't like with fanfiction?

When you have ready access to better actors, or the prose you're replacing already reads like fanfiction and you're replacing it with something better? Why the hell not? Sometimes games fall short of the mark because of the limitations of the creators, even though there are good ideas present. I don't think Bethesda's creative intent was to populate the ES games with butt-ugly characters, for example. So the idea of substituting models that aren't eyesores doesn't particularly bother me.

Ultimately, for me, authorial voice isn't sacrosanct when it comes to games. I feel I have more of a say in the final experience than I do with more passive media. I think the interactive aspect of games factors into that - I'm already actively engaging with it instead of just watching/listening/reading, so it doesn't feel like as big a step from that to revising, tweaking and fixing various elements.

finished Ys Oath in felghana today , really good game especially the boss fights , now i will play Ys origin so i hope that is at least as good as oath in felghana

Shadownet

Banned
Remember that BootyCreeds: Unified is an Uplay key, not Steam.
Yeah I noticed that as well. Anyway It said that some games are excluded. It would be nice if they give us a list of games -__-

Can someone try using the voucher code for 20% off to get AC:Unity on GMG? It keep saying Unable To Add The Voucher for me. Trying to get the Gold Edition

The voucher code is on the front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom