• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm tempted by Pure. Really enjoyed it back when it came out.
If they add achievements to it, I might bite at this price.

Oh and I guess it would be great if it worked on modern OS', does it? JaseC you should install play it.
Just saying.

I installed Split/Second. That's almost Pure!

SSPssp

Anyone noticed this?

The Black Glove: "An eerie, surrealistic, first-person game experience by an independent team of developers who helped make BioShock Infinite & BioShock."
sadly still using UE3

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theblackglove/the-black-glove

f7ac97edfab2456c29b9ecdb8bda3f33_large.jpg

It looks cool, but I'm worried about committing 20 bucks to a game that might suck. There's no real gameplay footage, although I know its early. It looks nice, but also pretty similar to all the bioshock games, which isn't surprising.
Since it looks like its getting funded, I'll just wait until its cheaper and I know if the game is good.

That video has it's sound levels all over the place. My ears

Yeah, its pretty bad. They seem to have a few people making music for them, so with the KS money they can also hire someone to mix things properly hopefully.

FauX

Grab them while they are available. No time restrictions, first come serve!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FauX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-31ADF66842DEAC80 - Taken by NightmareTrigger

Etherlords II -- MB-DE5902B72ECE27BB - Taken by nightstorm
Heroes of Annihilated Empires -- MB-1336F1AEB8461FC8 - Taken by WinterDemons
Zeno Clash -- MB-01DD67232B7A5327 - Taken by Axass

Karak

Styx Review (Rated it a buy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLqa-oy7kNI

But if you don't like my reviews or youtube I can give some pros and cons and also answer any questions you have about the game.

Pros-
Worlds atmosphere
Sound, music and voice work(one or two misses here)
Styx is is a master of his tools not a tools using master. Lots of thought needed here but not as many tools as some other games.
Stealth and assassinations are just plain wicked fun

Cons
Control when dropping down from above
Some jumping issues
Texture work

Anyone noticed this?

The Black Glove: "An eerie, surrealistic, first-person game experience by an independent team of developers who helped make BioShock Infinite & BioShock."
sadly still using UE3

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theblackglove/the-black-glove

f7ac97edfab2456c29b9ecdb8bda3f33_large.jpg
This is just all kinds of odd:)

Ended up going back on my word and re-installing Torchlight 2.

Finished it on Veteran difficulty with a modded class (Elemental Bladedancer?)

Enjoyed it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ugh, is Last Door another walking simulator? Because I did the minisodes included in the extra section, and the only thing you need to do is clicking in and there and reading text. Basically, like Home :S
I thought there was a gameplay here.

Pork is gonna fuck you up

Karak

Couldnt resist, bought Styx.

Just looks like my sort of silly stealth game.

Busy month!

Brother its great. One of the hardest not to gush about games I have ever reviewed. It has its problems no doubt. It really does. But the atmosphere, world, and overall stealth and killing gameplay is just fun. Older style fun. Can't remember the last game I tried to force through a level without a save on purpose in some ways its almost masterful in that.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn. Disney releases got me off guard.

Now, all I have to do is wait for a decent discount on Split/Second. And maybe Pure...

Edit: And Tron... dammit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh, is Last Door another walking simulator? Because I did the minisodes included in the extra section, and the only thing you need to do is clicking in and there and reading text. Basically, like Home :S
I thought there was a gameplay here.

Well, it is called The Last Door. ;)

Skyzard

Banned
Brother its great. One of the hardest not to gush about games I have ever reviewed. It has its problems no doubt. It really does. But the atmosphere, world, and overall stealth and killing gameplay is just fun. Older style fun. Can't remember the last game I tried to force through a level without a save on purpose in some ways its almost masterful in that.

Great to hear, thanks!

Corpekata

Banned
Last Door is an adventure game. You go pick things up, and use the things on the things in the scenery to make them do things. You talk to people that want things sometimes and then show them the things. Sometimes you combine the things to do things with the things.

Haven't played the side stories yet because I'm only 3 of 4 episodes in, but the actual episodes I would not describe as walking simulators.

Any chance of Deadpool showing back up on Steam via Disney instead of Activision? I would presume once Activision let the license expire or what ever happened to it, it would revert back to Disney.

Vibranium

Banned
Wow, Enslaved was definitely worth it for 5 bucks, I'm playing all these smaller games because I'm waiting for my PC to get put together. Love the world and characters so far, and I'd say the combat is much better than Remember Me at the very least.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wow, Enslaved was definitely worth it for 5 bucks, I'm playing all these smaller games because I'm waiting for my PC to get put together. Love the world and characters so far, and I'd say the combat is much better than Remember Me at the very least.

Now this just makes me want to never buy Remember Me.

Corpekata

Banned
Any chance of Deadpool showing back up on Steam via Disney instead of Activision? I would presume once Activision let the license expire or what ever happened to it, it would revert back to Disney.

License is theirs but that doesn't mean the game in its' entirety would be, which is why we don't see Wolfenstein 2009 anywhere. They'd need to work out some sort of deal with Activision so it is unlikely to see it reappear.

It's also one of the worst PC ports of the recent history. It's unplayable on lower settings, because lower settings disable destructible environments which are required on some stages.

Jørdan

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jrdan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).

Deadly Premonition -- MB-85E0246C831A4BE2 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN

Caveat emptor.

madjoki

It's also one of the worst PC ports of the recent history. It's unplayable on lower settings, because lower settings disable destructible environments which are required on some stages.

That sounds bad. Thankfully it's not demanding game.
Shadows is bugged at least on AMD cards.

Still worth $2.5 or whatever I paid for it.

aku:jiki

Feeling dat Alien hype. Might have to actually buy a AAA game, and at full price no less! I'm scared.

No chance, no. Rights for the character (which is what reverted) is not the same as rights to the entire game.

liezryou

What does steamGAF think about alien? Reviews haven't been so hot, thinking to just do a quick run of DR3 before pre-sequel comes if it's not that great.

Knurek

It's amazing that less than a year into current gen, devs are already running out of CPU power (on consoles). I really wonder how the situation will look like in two-three PC CPU gens, given that we're way overdue on another Core2/Sand Bridge scale IPC upgrade from Intel.

Jadax

What does steamGAF think about alien? Reviews haven't been so hot, thinking to just do a quick run of DR3 before pre-sequel comes if it's not that great.

The start is pretty lame/boring, gets exciting about 4-6hrs in (that's about as far as I got last night).

All the rooms seem to be the same which kind of ruined the experience. Bringing up the map pauses the game which ruins the immersion. The alien is bugged at times (will literally walk past you, or ignore you to go kill someone else). The flashback sequence involving Marlow is effin awesome!

Will play some more tonight.

There are like 3 "bad" reviews.... The game has been great, especially if you like stealth/horror games. It seems to have some metroidvania type stuff in there too, but I'm not far enough to have backtracked to places that I would need to as of yet.

These goddamn androids, man...

There are like 3 "bad" reviews.... The game has been great, especially if you like stealth/horror games. It seems to have some metroidvania type stuff in there too, but I'm not far enough to have backtracked to places that I would need to as of yet.

These goddamn androids, man...

I really don't see how this game can be considered a horror game. Do people still get frightened by those funny despicable looking aliens ? I mean we aren't in the 80's anymore.

I really don't see how this game can be considered a horror game. Do people still get frightened by those funny despisable looking aliens ? I mean we aren't in the 80's anymore.
When you can't gib it to death with a pulse rifle, yeah.
Scary monsters is not how you build proper tension in a horror game. No one was ever scared of the stupid skinless dogs or giant bats in Silent Hill, but that fog and creepy-ass music though...
Yep... It's when you decide to un-barricade a door, and suddenly you hear scurrying in the ducts above you and you aren't sure if you're gonna get ganked during the animation, those damnable silent androids with their glowy eyes stalking you... etc.

aku:jiki

I really don't see how this game can be considered a horror game. Do people still get frightened by those funny despisable looking aliens ? I mean we aren't in the 80's anymore.
Scary monsters is not how you build proper tension in a horror game. No one was ever scared of the stupid skinless dogs or giant bats in Silent Hill, but that fog and creepy-ass music though...

Vibranium

Banned

Yeah, I know it's a bad port but I didn't know about the low settings thing, that's crazy!

I'm able to really enjoy it, warts and all, though it would suck for people who can only run low.

Ozium

Half-Life 1 is poop. I'm in some area that is outside and there's all this platforming and crap and wonky controls... pure poop

I'm able to really enjoy it, warts and all, though it would suck for people who can only run low.

It's not all bad, setting it to Low doesn't actually make the game run any better, so you might as well run it on high settings. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having any settings in the first place.

Half-Life 1 is poop. I'm in some area that is outside and there's all this platforming and crap and wonky controls... pure poop
Shut uuuup

yuraya

The original movies were never really scary because of the alien imo. They were scary because of the concept of being stuck alone on a ship with some unknown thing wondering about. It was more claustrophobic fear than anything else. The syfy atmosphere and the characters were very good as well. At least for the standards back in the 80s. Nowadays that stuff has been done to death. Both horror movies and games have lost all originality. Need innovation.

TGMIII

The GoldSrc engine to this day still performs perfectly when it comes to movement and control. What issues are you having?

You are right about Silent Hill. Dunno about Alien Isolation though, I have to try it to judge it. Sadly there is no demo for it.

madjoki

It's amazing that less than a year into current gen, devs are already running out of CPU power (on consoles). I really wonder how the situation will look like in two-three PC CPU gens, given that we're way overdue on another Core2/Sand Bridge scale IPC upgrade from Intel.

Yeah and since most games are multiplatformers, games will be hindered by consoles for many years to come.
Both consoles are x86 like PC's, so it's not that devs don't know how to efficiently use it. (or they should know at least).

Of course one option is to offload some processing to GPU.
Assuming that's possible on consoles, can't see why it wouldn't be.

Miguel81

Now to download the 25GB?! Looking forward to the creepy atmosphere that mirror's Enemy Zero and System Shock 2 -- and the Alien film, of course. Thanks for the heads up iosefe, you are a cool dude with an even cooler avy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom