• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Good morning SteamGAF :D Thank you for your advices for SSD i decided to go with 120GB Samsung Evo. My current partition is 60GB and it was enough for my needs for years now so i think that i will be fine with 120GB :D I have 750GB for data storage and almost half of that is empty. 240GB was really expensive and i need to save some money for current and upcoming games shopping season :D

SDD will arrive tomorrow and i hope that OS Migration will go without issues :D

FrozenXcalibur

Neo Member
Interesting read, it seems I was off on my own estimations of how steam categorizes it's ratings though. Thanks for posting this.

The major problem however, is that Valve will spend the next 2 years just thinking about fixing how the Steam store front functions.
Or jshackles could help?

Anteater

Speaking of hdd, my d: is acting weird again so I downloaded the acronis drive monitor and it tells me it's at 16% health, guess it's time for me to finally replace it, oh well. Time to redownload 400gig worth of games again.

Now to download the 25GB?! Looking forward to the creepy atmosphere that mirror's Enemy Zero and System Shock 2 -- and the Alien film, of course. Thanks for the heads up iosefe, you are a cool dude with an even cooler avy.

I think it's only a 15gig download, fortunately!

Knurek

Both consoles are x86 like PC's, so it's not that devs don't know how to efficiently use it. (or they should know at least).

To be fair, this is Ubisoft we're talking about, long standing masters of deoptimization.

Of course one option is to offload some processing to GPU.
Assuming that's possible on consoles, can't see why it wouldn't be.

Probably because every cycle you steal from GPU makes your game look significantly worse. And the looks are what the console crowd are after for the most part.

aku:jiki

In other news, I tried out Shadow of Mordor last night and I don't even know why people are enjoying that game. It plays itself! Combat? Just mash X and the dude does everything for you, you can even counter with X attacks! Climbing? Just press A and the guy finds something to climb even if it's like 75 feet up on the wall. Every little thing, even the healing plants, are marked on your HUD. Zero effort or thought required. Why is this a thing and why are people lining up for it? Fucking AAA games, man.

You are right about Silent Hill. Dunno about Alien Isolation though, I have to try it to judge it. Sadly there is no demo for it.
Well, then you know what I mean! It's much more about the threat of the alien than the alien itself, enhanced by not being allowed to save whenever you want and so on. I saw some people complaining that they'll have to replay some parts if they die but that's the point!

Half-Life 1 is poop. I'm in some area that is outside and there's all this platforming and crap and wonky controls... pure poop
HL2 has that AND about 14 hours of shitty driving too. Most overrated series ever made.

Volimar

If your D is acting weird, go see a doctor.

image.php

Cerity

It's amazing that less than a year into current gen, devs are already running out of CPU power (on consoles). I really wonder how the situation will look like in two-three PC CPU gens, given that we're way overdue on another Core2/Sand Bridge scale IPC upgrade from Intel.

I wouldn't read too much into it. They're just saying they can't fit as much on screen as they would have liked. It's also coming from ubisoft.

In other news, I tried out Shadow of Mordor last night and I don't even know why people are enjoying that game. It plays itself! Combat? Just mash X and the dude does everything for you, you can even counter with X attacks! Climbing? Just press A and the guy finds something to climb even if it's like 75 feet up on the wall. Every little thing, even the healing plants, are marked on your HUD. Zero effort or thought required. Why is this a thing and why are people lining up for it? Fucking AAA games, man.

Pretty much, I would get into the game so much more if the combat was better. I think the only good thing about the game is the nemesis system. Would love to see that implemented in a game about gang wars like sleeping dogs or something.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Bethesda rep said the Evil Within Steam pre-load would probably go up this weekend.

Time to work on freeing up 40 GB for the game and 20-30 GB more for recording it.

Miguel81

Half-Life 1 is poop. I'm in some area that is outside and there's all this platforming and crap and wonky controls... pure poop

You can't be serious(until you get to Xen). That game was a revelation at release, and is still a nice ride(without the need for those damn vehicles from part 2).

Knurek

You can't be serious(until you get to Xen). That game was a revelation at release, and is still a nice ride(without the need for those damn vehicles from part 2).

He must be playing Black Mesa, which is poop. Shiny looking poop, but poop nevertheless.

Bethesda rep said the Evil Within Steam pre-load would probably go up this weekend.

Time to work on freeing up 40 GB for the game and 20-30 GB more for recording it.
I'm guessing we're still getting the cold shoulder about 60fps, right?

How freaking hard is it to give a yes or no?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
He must be playing Black Mesa, which is poop. Shiny looking poop, but poop nevertheless.

Completely related.

I'm guessing we're still getting the cold shoulder about 60fps, right?

How freaking hard is it to give a yes or no?

It depends on the whole situation, community managers are general okay to post things they're given okay to post when it comes to stuff like this. But be nice to know, either their doing the usual odd approach to announcing this stuff as Bethesda seems to do sometimes with TEW, or its 30 FPS and they don't want to set a blaze of enraged PC gamers. We'll see which one it is pretty soon, hopefully hear it from them first.

TGMIII

the tanks everywhere and big dumb pig cop type enemies shooting me and these stupid marines that are made out of steel apparently

So is your issue with the supposed control issues or the fact that you're seemingly having trouble passing a section of the game? I have my gripes with HL1 but controls certainly aren't one of them.

To the one badmouthing Half Life, for me it was the best FPS ever made. Ok, Wolfenstein Created FPS, Doom brought it to mainstream, but it was Half-Life which defined the FPS genre, the seamless ingame interactive cutscenes, HL2 is the one that brought phsyics inetarction in gamepaly with non scripted interactions that even modern games fail to achieve. Dunno about you, I love many other FPS and they are among tha pantheon of the unreachable ( first, Deus Ex, First Thief, System Shock 2), but for me the word FPS= Half-Life. Dunno about you, what is your best FPS of all times?
BTW, Gordon Freeman won "best video game hero of all times"

Ozium

So is your issue with the supposed control issues or the fact that you're seemingly having trouble passing a section of the game? I have my gripes with HL1 but controls certainly aren't one of them.

the guns are pure shit, they do nothing. absolutely nothing. controls are also too lose when the game wants you to inch to the left a little bit to creep around a ledge, oh don't fall or you'll have to go jump around some more to get where you are..

I was having fun until after the marines take u prisoner and u gotta escape then it just goes to shit

aku:jiki

The current game at IndieGameStand, Super Cyborg, looks pretty sweet. It's a pretty shameless Contra clone, but that should be worth $1.

Bonus points for being a Probotector clone specifically.

Ozium

But why would you struggle with controls? It's rooted in Quake. And Surface Tension doesn't even have segments like Xen (which I also never had a problem with).

except the controls in quake are good? if I could rocket jump the game would be playable

edit: yeah I am in surface tension, at the point where I get to use some missile to blow shit up... surface tension is poop. pure distilled valve poop

Completely related.

It depends on the whole situation, community managers are general okay to post things they're given okay to post when it comes to stuff like this. But be nice to know, either their doing the usual odd approach to announcing this stuff as Bethesda seems to do sometimes with TEW, or its 30 FPS and they don't want to set a blaze of enraged PC gamers. We'll see which one it is pretty soon, hopefully hear it from them first.
The longer they wait, if it ends up 30fps, the bigger it'll explode in their face. I'm still up for it but I can't recommend it to anyone if they like 60fps. And of course I would love it.
if they said it was 30fps then people wouldn't buy it.
if they let people find out it's 30fps then they've made some sales.
I would imagine the backlash would be something fierce though.

TGMIII

the guns are pure shit, they do nothing. absolutely nothing. controls are also too lose when the game wants you to inch to the left a little bit to creep around a ledge, oh don't fall or you'll have to go jump around some more to get where you are..

I was having fun until after the marines take u prisoner and u gotta escape then it just goes to shit

If you have to be precise, have you tried holding the walk key or even crouching? I'm running around Surface Tension right now and I can't say I've had an issue with the controls. Granted it's not my first time but it's been awhile since I've revisited HL1.

I would imagine the backlash would be something fierce though.

They have your money at that stage and videogame consumers have proven to be fickle, even in the PC market, why would they care. Animations/physics will be probably be tied to the framerate and it'll be a similar situation as Dead Rising 3 where they'll advice people not to unlock it.

Sendou

The longer they wait, if it ends up 30fps, the bigger it'll explode in their face. I'm still up for it but I can't recommend it to anyone if they like 60fps. And of course I would love it.

Yeah basically making your game 30FPS is one thing (it just means PC wasn't a focus at all like it rarely is) but not being upfront about it is a whole other thing. They shouldn't hide what their product is.

Ozium

If you have to be precise, have you tried holding the walk key or even crouching? I'm running around Surface Tension right now and I can't say I've had an issue with the controls. Granted it's not my first time but it's been awhile since I've revisited HL1.

the problem is that when I let go of a movement key gordon doesn't stop moving completely.. there is like a little lag or something... dude keeps moving a little.. and you need to run to jump. if you miss the jump you fall and get hurt.

Maybe I should have played Half Life Source instead..

This whole surface tension level/mission whatever you wanna call it has been bad... makes me want to just quit

edit: also the physics when sliding boxes around is like ridiculous.. dude just takes a crate and slides it like it's on a cloud, yet it takes 20 fucking hits from a crowbar to break it? come on, son

TGMIII

the problem is that when I let go of a movement key gordon doesn't stop moving completely.. there is like a little lag or something... dude keeps moving a little.. and you need to run to jump. if you miss the jump you fall and get hurt.

Maybe I should have played Half Life Source instead..

This whole surface tension level/mission whatever you wanna call it has been bad... makes me want to just quit

You take a small amount of time to decelerate but if you're in the air and want to stop dead, just tap back.

So I just played 1.5 hours of Alien...

God. Damn.

I only got through the end of the second mission, I don't think I've even gotten to the point where I can actually encounter the Alien, other than a couple scripted events earlier on... But I was still totally stressed. The immersion is top-notch, I haven't been this immersed since the first time I went to Rapture in BioShock. Personally, I think the sound design is amazing, it was what I really noticed and paid attention to. The game is gorgeous, even though I'm running it on medium on my 6870. I'm really enjoying it so far.

The only real issue I've had so far is you can't put something away once it's in your hand. You push B (or the KB equivalent) for the Radial Inventory, and if you accidentally press it, you'll automatically equip something, and the only way to get rid of it is to load your most recent save. Or maybe I'm just stupid, or it's a problem when you play with a controller.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Morning Steam-GAF. How's everyone doing today? Here's some hot chocolate to start the day (I don't drink coffee).

tumblr_mxtfjiA7vZ1qbgu0jo1_400.gif

So with one thing or another I only managed to play about 20 minutes of Alien Isolation last night, and I already know I'm going to be terrified, haha. I get so nervous with all these "creep around the dark area and you might get grabbed by something" levels in games, and then I go and buy a game that is pretty much exclusively that. What was I thinking. Anyway, the aesthetic of the game is just fantastic. Creative Assembly did a fantastic job with making the game look like it fits right in to the Alien universe. Really excited to play more.

Edit: Ha, DillonMabry - I feel exactly the same except I'm not even as far through the game as you. I keep saying to myself "It's okay to wander around at this point, the game has literally just began and you don't even have any weapons yet" but I'm already feeling super tense. The manual save points thing is also making me nervous, going to have to get real good at sneaking around!

Double Edit: Not sure if it's been mentioned here but the makers of Payday: The Heist are doing some sort of special event thing where they're trying to get 1.5 million people to join the official Payday 2 Steam group. The more people that join the more extra content gets unlocked in Payday 2. They've almost met their goal, unlocking new characters, heists, weapons, different times of day for heists, etc, and they're offering Payday: The Heist free on October 18th to everyone that's in the group. Might be worth signing up if you don't own it already!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Or jshackles could help?

I'm not as versed in the limitations of what he is allowed to do presently, but in the past Valve has restricted certain functions of ES due to the additional load it created for Valve's servers. I would also be interested in if he thinks it is technically feasible and if he has the time to implement the changes.

I feel exactly the same except I'm not even as far through the game as you. I keep saying to myself "It's okay to wander around at this point, the game has literally just began and you don't even have any weapons yet" but I'm already feeling super tense. The manual save points thing is also making me nervous, going to have to get real good at sneaking around!

Yeah, I'm always very thorough in games, if there are places to explore, you can bet your ass I'm going to explore. I don't really play horror games, so I'm wondering if that can actually end up being a problem for me.

I'm not a fan of the manual saving, but I completely understand they don't want save scumming, or dead end saves. It seems like you have to change something in the game before you can save at the same terminal again, so I always make sure to go save again if I pick something up, or progress in some way. But yeah, it definitely helps drive the immersion and intensity of the moment.

Dr Dogg

Made a thread for The Evil Within PC framerate issues. Hopefully we can draw some attention to this before release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=907772

Made a new tweet as well for those interested. Including some people I didn't have in the initial attempt.

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/519293883444772864

Looking through that thread I can't help but think 'Bloody hell what have I started, again!?!?!?'. Fingers crossed it doesn't bring out the parity poopers as well.

Judging by the response you got I get the feeling this isn't going to disclosed until release (let alone my UI quibbles). Well I look forward to impressions as always peeps :/

looking to buy a DrDogg, anyone know where one can look? cant find any in the usual places

Not for sale!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The problem with Uplay is that you really don't care until you care.

This is so true. The last time I cared was when I needed to play HoMM VI and nothing would work properly. I raged about it here and that was well over a year ago. I cared very much at the time though!

Zeknurn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom